Homecoming Should they push things back?

I think for S6 to work alot of elements have to come into play beyond a good story. Sony has to be willing to allow the filmmakers to make a good story. Sony has micromanged the hell out of the last three films which has been to the detriment to the quality of the stories. Good story isn't enough if Sony is gonna demand changes and shift things around because they suddenly wanna take the franchise into another direction.

Beyond that you're gonna need compelling characters and not every Spiderman villain is gonna be compelling no matter what backstory or actor you get to play the part. Sandman, Rhino, Electro are pretty one note villains and don't really have much there there beyond their abilities. I know fans don't like to hear that ,but I don't believe this idea that ANY character can be made compelling depending on the script. You need villains who have to potential to be compelling at least not just using them for the sake of being in the comics.

You're also gonna need some dynamic actors who can bring something to the characters beyond what's on the page. They odviously don't need to be big names but they're gonna need more Alfred Molina's, William Defoe's, and Rhys Ifans's.

As far as the story goes, I still not convinced that the s6 redemption story minus Spiderman with its ties to ASM 2 is truly gonna be interesting enough for the GA to keep going back time and time again. I just don't see it. Now, the rumored Spidey teaming up with his worse foes to face a greater threat can work I think and has a much greater potential for good storytelling.

I do think the rumored new S6 story could work given the right story and talent.

To make a good S6 movie the following things have to happen.

1) Sony have to allow Goddard to make HIS movie.
They hired him off the back of Cabin in the Woods. That movie was subversive and unconventional. They have to allow him the freedom to do that again with S6 or why hire him?

2) Give the villain a solid motivation.
The villains have to WANT something and through that want you will get conflict and through that conflict you will get drama. So make the McGuffin (the thing they are chasing) a good one.

3 ) Give the villains their own voices.
By that I mean give them distinct personalities. In Usual Suspects I don't know their names but I could describe (not using their looks in the description) each one of them. If the general audience resort to using their looks to describe the characters then you've failed.

4) Build conflicts in the team.
Doc Ock and Goblin will want to be in charge so push that conflict. Certain members of the team will be there reluctantly (because they work alone) push that. Basically nothing should be easy and through conflicts you will get great drama.

5) Don't make all the villains redemptive.
Sure, make one of the villains regret or contemplate his actions but the rest of them should be villains because they want to be villains. Heck, in their own minds they shouldn't even be villains. In their own minds they should be the HERO of the movie. They want something and they are going to stop at nothing to get it. Stop with the redemption already, we've seen it too many Spider-Man movies. We want to see BAD GUYS.

6) Make us understand the villains point of view.
The thing that sucks about the Transformers (okay, ONE of the things that sucks) is that you don't see the Decepticons point of view. How are you supposed to feel ANYTHING if you feel nothing for the villain? What makes Matrix (the first one) so brilliant is you know Agent Smith's motivation and that is what gives the conflict between Smith and Neo weight. SHOW US what makes the villains tick.

7) Good writing, good direction.
Goddard is writing and directing so it goes back to the original point of letting him get on with it.

8) Good cinematography.
I really want this movie lit unlike anything ever in a Spider-Man movie. Dark and moody to reflect the villains difference from the bright and colour Spider-Man. Not important in the grand scheme but would be nice.

Last edited:
Have Spidey in it.

I'd watch it without him but I don't think the majority would and I want it to gross enough for the franchise to continue

Should they push things back?

No they shouldn't push things back. They should cancel things. Cancel everything.

Dr.Evil%20How%20About%20NO%20cover.jpg

Wanted to use harsher language!

Things are not looking good for Sony.

With a dwindling BO and decreasing interest in 'their' Spider-Man franchise, they have a lot to compete with over the next few years. Whatever they intend to do to regain that interest with Spidey, they have some serious work ahead. I don't think it is impossible to turn this around but I also don't have much faith in them at the moment.

That's the problem these days. People aren't interested because of franchises, characters or story anymore it's all about feeding the brand.

Guy A: So how come you're looking forward to ______ movie?
Guy B: because it's a _____ brand movie

Last edited:
Cancel it, cancel it all.

tumblr_inline_mfum4qMDId1qfbrev.gif

spider-neil if Sony ever sells to Marvel:

tumblr_inline_mkv52mfpkh1qhqb9q.gif

Me when Spidey goes back to Marvel.

Marvel Studios....

tumblr_n56e8u8p6X1qff46jo1_500.gif

Lol, things are not looking good for anyone, tbh.

I really have never witnessed anything on the scale Marvel Studios are going at it right now.

It's almost ridiculous.

The model for world-building is at Marvel's studios and they are executing it perfectly. I think it's great. Truly a golden age for CBMs. Just watch how they are gonna turn Black Panther and Ms. Marvel into favorites among the general audiences.

That's the problem these days. People aren't interested because of franchises, characters or story anymore it's all about feeding the brand.

Guy A: So how come you're looking forward to ______ movie?
Guy B: because it's a _____ brand movie

People are drawn to quality movies or movies that are a 'rolling good time.' Many of Marvel's films have one or both of those elements. Sony doesn't seem interested in making quality films. Well, maybe now they do since they didn't get what they were after $$$ wise with ASM2. I just hope they don't fall into the 'gimmick' trap, to try and win audiences back. That won't work.

But, I really don't blame someone if they have the attitude of going to see a movie or being excited about a movie because it's made by Marvel. They are doing a great job right now of putting out fun, quality CBMs. People have faith in them that they will deliver and paying full ticket price to see one of their movies will be worth it. How would you like to spend your hard earned dollars??

Lol, things are not looking good for anyone, tbh.

I really have never witnessed anything on the scale Marvel Studios are going at it right now.

It's almost ridiculous.

Sony has like the weakest supply of things to choose from, too. All the other studios have more than them, all they have is Spider-Man. Their attempts to build up the universe isn't going so hot.

They want to compete with the MCU... It's laughable.

DC is the only one that could create a universe that will generate a similar amount of money the MCU brings in.

Yea I agree. Will say though I'm interested in Fox's X-Men but not as much as DC and Marvel Studios.

LEVI, if Spidey goes back to the MCU are you going to put a Spidey avatar with the "HE'S COMIG HOME!!!" on top of it?

Personally, idc who owns the rights. I just want a good film. Preferably with Andrew Garfield. Although I'd love for Spidey to be in the MCU. I do think there is bias though for anything Marvel right now. The Thor movies haven't been the greatest, nor have the last two iron man movies. Yet people rarely talk down on Marvel at all. If someone one else besides Marvel was putting out those movies, they'd be calling for their jobs. Some people don't even want to give movies a chance if they aren't MCU. Regardless of who makes the movie, we should all just want a good one for the character.

That's sort of the thing. You have DC , Marvel, and Fox doing some great stuff over the next ten years, with big ideas and storylines and sort of taking the genre to even greater heights ,were Spiderman feels like its gonna be left behind bogged in weak franchise.

No doubt , this version has fans who are gonna accept it no matter what, but when I see all the plans the other studios have and Sony, seemingly content with what their plans are, and what they're doing , its kinda a shame.

The problem is Sony no longer cares to do their own thing, they'd rather just copy whats being done. Its sad because there was a time when Spidey was at top and pretty much started the super hero. Now he tries to play catch up and follows trends instead of being a trend. The worst part is instead of trying to copy Marvel and make is own cinematic universe, he could just join there's like he should.

Is that shock? Then you are right, I'll be shocked.

:up:

Personally, idc who owns the rights. I just want a good film. Preferably with Andrew Garfield.

Same.

I do think there is bias though for anything Marvel right now. The Thor movies haven't been the greatest, nor have the last two iron man movies. Yet people rarely talk down on Marvel at all. If someone one else besides Marvel was putting out those movies, they'd be calling for their jobs. Some people don't even want to give movies a chance if they aren't MCU. Regardless of who makes the movie, we should all just want a good one for the character.

Agreed. There's a Marvel elitism at the moment. You don't dare suggest that they've made a poor or even mediocre movie or else be chased with pitchforks.

Always with the studios wars it's either Marvel vs Sony and Marvel vs DCCU or Marvel vs Fox.

There's never any Batman fans or X-Men fans calling for Marvel movies to flop or be cancelled or insulting them years in advance with calls to boycott.

But, I really don't blame someone if they have the attitude of going to see a movie or being excited about a movie because it's made by Marvel. They are doing a great job right now of putting out fun, quality CBMs. People have faith in them that they will deliver and paying full ticket price to see one of their movies will be worth it. How would you like to spend your hard earned dollars??

Me personally I only really go to see movies that I'm interested in from the trailers.

With CBMs it's characters or concepts I'm interested in based on having read the comics, seen the cartoons or again from trailers and how the movie looks, but never am I certain to go to see a movie when the movie is years away and I have no knowledge of what the movies about.

For instance I'm interested in Shazam from what I've seen in the Brave and the bold cartoon, I'll be seeing that depending on how it looks in trailers. I wouldn't be dead set on going to see it years before a cast is attached or before there's even a snippet of news about the content on the movie.
I'm looking forward to Inhumans as I've read them in comics and like the concepts and characters but again I'm not dead set until I see some footage and it speaks to me.

But there are very few movies I'll be certain to go to sight unseen.

Last edited:
Marvel Studios just pimped slapped everybody wearing the Gauntlet

Lol, slap would probably be a understatement.

The model for world-building is at Marvel's studios and they are executing it perfectly. I think it's great. Truly a golden age for CBMs. Just watch how they are gonna turn Black Panther and Ms. Marvel into favorites among the general audiences.

It is.

Marvel Studios don't really have any boundaries anymore. Even if people don't know who Doctor Strange, Black Panther, or Captain Marvel is, they're still gonna go see the movies because of Marvel's track record.

Yeah, IM2 was pretty whatever, but pretty much everything else they've put out has been genuinely good. IM3 gets way too much hate and TIH is badass and underrated, I'd say.

We're living in an age of superheroes, and Marvel Studios are at the top of everything.

I can't complain.

Sony has like the weakest supply of things to choose from, too. All the other studios have more than them, all they have is Spider-Man. Their attempts to build up the universe isn't going so hot.

Yup.

Marvel Studios have almost everything and Fox has the whole F4 and X-Men universe to pull from, while Sony has like one and a half hero. Spidey may have the coolest villains of them all, but Sony still only has access to like one hero, and I'd say that's why thing are going kinda **** for them.

And thanks too Avi Arad, ofc. I still have no idea how he ended up producing Spider-Man movies. It's almost funny in a way.

Marvel Studios have almost everything and Fox has the whole F4 and X-Men universe to pull from, while Sony has like one and a half hero. Spidey may have the coolest villains of them all, but Sony still only has access to like one hero, and I'd say that's why thing are going kinda **** for them.

Spider-Man 2099
Spider-Man Noir
Spider-Island (which I thought was ****ing BRILLIANT)
Kraven's Last Hunt.
The Death of Jean DeWolff
Spider-Man vs the Mob (Tombstone)

And that is scratching the surface of FIFTY YEARS worth of Spider-Man stories.

Yes, Spidey has tons of material, but what I was saying was that Sony don't have access to very many heroes.

They do of course have access to the different Spider-Men, but the Avi Arad already said that Peter Parker will be the only Spidey they'll be making films of - not even Miles Morales.

But again, I do of course agree that Spider-Man has some great stories out there.

Bond
Batman
Superman
Indiana Jones
Star Wars
And a host of other franchises have bad movies in their collection but there aren't calls for the studios to sell off their characters and build from the ground up. Bad movies happens you hopefully learn from your mistakes and go again. I very much doubt the general audience are wanting a reboot.

Sony doing a Spidey Cinematic Universe is like having a sub with just salad.

Yes, Spidey has tons of material, but what I was saying was that Sony don't have access to very many heroes.

They do of course have access to the different Spider-Men, but the Avi Arad already said that Peter Parker will be the only Spidey they'll be making films of - not even Miles Morales.

But again, I do of course agree that Spider-Man has some great stories out there.

Do I want to see Spider-Man hang out with Daredevil and co? Yes. But you know what I want first and foremost? SPIDER-MAN movies. I liked the last two movies but I 'totally' get why people didn't. I hated with an absolute PASSION Superman Returns, Quantum of Solace, Temple of Doom, The Prequels, The last two Terminator movies, the last two Iron Man movies. But I don't go on and on and on...'Oh sell, why don't you sell, I hope all your movies flop' over and over again.

You hate Temple of Doom? And Episode 3? And Superman Returns? But love dog**** that is TASM2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"