Should they recast T'Challa/Black Panther or make Shuri the new Panther?

I liked the suggestion someone made that the next film opens with a memorial to T'Challa, then they Infinity Stone Killmonger back to life and he becomes Black Panther.... the film focuses on his journey to finding his place as king and honoring T'Challas vision

Not feeling this idea. Lol. If they can use an Infinity Stone to bring back Killmonger, why not then resurrect someone they like more. Someone beloved by the people. Someone the people trust. Like. T'Challa for example. Storywise, this just doesn't work.

Last edited:
Not feeling this idea. Lol. If they can use an Infinity Stone to bring back Killmonger, who they don’t really like, why not then resurrect someone they like more. Someone beloved by the people. Someone the people trust. Like. T'Challa for example. Storywise, this just doesn't work.

Honestly, even if Killmonger was the only person they could bring back, they wouldn't bring him back because he's their enemy and they have no reason to think he's changed.

I find it very off putting how many people assume they know what an intensely private man, who didn't tell fans, coworkers, or employers that he was battling cancer, would have wanted done with the role after his death.

Here's my take. Chadwick knew that the Black Panther was a ceremonial title, an honor that had been passed down through generations. Knowing this, he would have wanted one of his colleagues - Gurira, Nyong'o, Wright or Duke - to put on the damn suit.

HAHAHA the irony in this post!!!!

I find it very off putting how many people assume they know what an intensely private man, who didn't tell fans, coworkers, or employers that he was battling cancer, would have wanted done with the role after his death.

Here's my take. Chadwick knew that the Black Panther was a ceremonial title, an honor that had been passed down through generations. Knowing this, he would have wanted one of his colleagues - Gurira, Nyong'o, Wright or Duke - to put on the damn suit.
You are doing exactly what you just said you find off-putting. Your second paragraph is literally assuming what Boseman would have wanted. You said it yourself, we have no idea what he would have wanted.

Last edited:
Aldis Hodge is enough of an unknown not to be a big film actor but he has the chops and look for the role. He's also 33 so has longevity in the part.
He's my top choice.... he should be in talks now and embrace the role quietly... getting his eggs lined up, presenting himself well and acting like a true king... if that makes sense... it's an honour, not just a role... bit like Cavill and superman...

HAHAHA the irony in this post!!!!

You are doing exactly what you just said you find off-putting. Your second paragraph is literally assuming what Boseman would have wanted. You said it yourself, we have no idea what we would have wanted.

That's the last time I try to put one over on you fellas!

Last edited:
He didn't play as Manchester Black in Supergirl. That was a different actor. Aldis Hodge was in Leverage.

Yeah that was David Ajala. I even commented on that earlier. I mixed them up at some stage. I blame the default pic on google search.

They're both around the same age and height so I would be cool with either one.

What people have to keep in mind also is the story for BP2. I’m doubtful they have finalised a script but I think it’s highly likely a story outline has been created. Having another character take over means a complete page one re-write of the entire film. That could delay things by months, even years. It’s going to minimum late 2023 before BP2 comes out already with this virus. Starting from scratch could push that out further to 2024. That’s not even taking into account if Coogler even wants to continue after this. Who knows what his emotional state is like.

That's the last time I try to put one over on you fellas!

My point is this, when you see and hear him talking of this character.. the respect he has, the understanding he has, of what this means, to so many people, he knows it means a lot - in my mind, I would assume with that understanding of his, he would understand the importance to continue the story of T'Challa

What people have to keep in mind also is the story for BP2. I’m doubtful they have finalised a script but I think it’s highly likely a story outline has been created. Having another character take over means a complete page one re-write of the entire film. That could delay things by months, even years. It’s going to minimum late 2023 before BP2 comes out already with this virus. Starting from scratch could push that out further to 2024. That’s not even taking into account if Coogler even wants to continue after this. Who knows what his emotional state is like.

Given this is a decision that will likely be made more emotionally than logistically, I am not sure how much this will factor into the decision. But this is something I did point out earlier in regards to a potential page 1 rewrite. That def would set them back longer than a recast.

100%. They may very well have a good idea that they'll no longer be able to use if they use a different character. They need to give this 3 or 4 months to ensure cooler heads prevail and not let emotions dictate. Frankly, I think not using the character sends a terrible message to other actors - that you'll never be good enough to play this character. I think that is the worst message that could be sent.

I liked the suggestion someone made that the next film opens with a memorial to T'Challa,

It would be messed up that T'Challa was dead for 5 years... then comes back for Endgame, and dies again...

There are some bigtime implications of Killing Off T'Challa. Most noteably in regards to T'Challa's inspirational and aspirational influence to young Black boys;

That they could finally see themselves as the inspiring hero. To just kill that character off..... there honestly aren't words.

So many people aren't seeing the big picture, it's unfortunate.

So many people aren't seeing the big picture, it's unfortunate.

Well, at this point the wound is still raw and people are pretty emotional. People are still in mourning and coming to terms with Chadwick's death.

So, it doesn't surprise me that there are calls to retire the character, kill T'Challa, or pass the mantle on to another character at this point.

That's why I tend to think that Marvel/Disney is gonna take it easy for awhile before making or announcing any big decisions about the next BP film.

I think a lot of the calling to kill off T'Challa or threats to boycott Marvel/Disney if they recast the part are people's raw emotions giving them kneejerk reactions.

I think in time cooler heads will prevail and people will see that the character and what it represents to people is bigger than any one actor and killing off the character would be a disservice both to that and even to Chadwick.

There are some bigtime implications of Killing Off T'Challa. Most notably in regards to T'Challa's inspirational and aspirational influence to young Black boys;
I think a lot of the calling to kill off T'Challa or threats to boycott Marvel/Disney if they recast the part are people's raw emotions giving them kneejerk reactions.

I think in time cooler heads will prevail and people will see that the character and what it represents to people is bigger than any one actor and killing off the character would be a disservice both to that and even to Chadwick.
I really hope the majority of people & Marvel Studios understand what you just said because THIS is exactly it.

I really hope the majority of people & Marvel Studios understand what you just said because THIS is exactly it.

I'm pretty sure that they do.

I'd be shocked if Feige ending up announcing that they would "retire" or "kill off" T'Challa or Black Panther.

Even if he had such a notion, it would immediately be vetoed by Iger or whoever is in charge at Disney .

So, I don't even think thats in the cards.

Despite how sad Feige and Iger are at the loss of Boseman, I doubt that they will end up retiring or killing off T'Challa or Black Panther.

O
Should they recast T'Challa/Black Panther and a new actor steps into the role picking up from where Chadwick left off or do they kill off the character? Should they make Shuri the new Panther of Wakanda and the new Queen of Wakanda?

Very sad to hear of his passing and recalled a interview of Chadwicks where he said he was inspired to become a writer/actor as his older (middle) brother was successful acting on stage and as a dancer. I think recasting with Kevin Boseman would be the easiest for fans to accept and best way to move forward.
D3F8400A-1C3F-4874-834D-7D09AB629C48.jpeg 017E27A4-F81B-40A9-A3B6-221630141B4B.jpeg C5951CFE-23EF-4331-961A-7E1880D973B3.png

It will be a much lesser version of Black Panther if Shuri takes the mantle.
I think that this Shuri they made wouldn't lead a film or a major character. This is not a comment on Letitia Wright's acting, but Shuri was presented not only as a science genius and gear supplier to T'Challa, but also as a comic relief. I think if they intended she to lead the Black Panther persona some time in the future like Sam Wilson took the Captain America role, Shuri would have a little bit different personality since the beginning.

Like I said elsewhere, geez this makes it even more tragic.

But it also seems to answer whether or not Marvel knew. This indicates that Marvel had no clue, so Feige def never had any kind of conversation with Chadwick it would seem.

I think Marvel and Disney are right just paying tribute to Boseman and dealing with their grief, as opposed to rushing to make Black Panther 2.

They'll eventually find a path forward, but the best thing to do is to not make any major decisions in the midst of a worldwide mourning period in spite of those online who may want them to come up with answers right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"