"Show 'em what we got!" - Samuel L. Jackson is Nick Fury

Yeah. What a shame the fantastic four couldn’t be that.

Well maybe they could and then use Kang to bring them here or something

God I would swear that’s a still from the original Jurassic Park or something. Marvel’s de-aging is incredible!

This is the best example so far.

It looks good but I'd have to see it in action. One still can look great, but it could look less realistic when moving. But so far the de-aging for the films have been excellent.

Now what do Marvel do in the case where say, an actor or actress has put on a lot of weight, and they need to de-age them back to what they looked like in the decade when they were slim? Let's say someone like John Travolta. Or someone like Kirsty Alley (not that they would hire her probably). Do they create a young version of what they look like now but with the same weight? Or do they do the slimming down as well? Would they put Travolta back to what he looked like in Staying Alive (where he was at his leanest and most muscular)? Or make him look like he is now but just younger, and therefore a version of him that never existed?

They seem to have gone that way a bit with Michael Douglas. Although it looks great in his case, he never quite looked like that. His face was larger in the 80s and he had a bit more of a double chin, for want of a better word. The 80s Hank Pym they've created is a more streamlined version (because the current version has lost quite a bit of weight from illness), so he is almost like the person he is now but extrapolated backwards.

Well they won’t use Kirstie because she’s nuts now.

I reckon it’s pretty easy. They cgied out Scarlett’s baby bump in avengers 2 and to be honest I noticed they used a lot of close ups on Star lord’s face in infinity war (I think he might have gotten a bit cuddlier after his divorce)

dbr1520_cmp_v710-1032.jpg

Samuel L. Jackson almost didn’t recognize young Nick Fury in 'Captain Marvel'

Well they won’t use Kirstie because she’s nuts now.

I reckon it’s pretty easy. They cgied out Scarlett’s baby bump in avengers 2 and to be honest I noticed they used a lot of close ups on Star lord’s face in infinity war (I think he might have gotten a bit cuddlier after his divorce)

He's divorced now? When did that happen and what were the reasons cited?

Oh I don’t know the reasons but it was the saddest thing. He and Anna Faris made such a cute couple. I guess they were just moving in different directions in life. I think it happened about a year ago

Something to do with him being away like 3/4 of the year filming stuff, from memory.

Sam looks awesome. as if there was any doubt about Marvel's de-aging stuff by now. Aced it.

A little "whaaa?" at Sam describing Fury as a "bureaucrat" at this point in his life though. This is after the whole Pierce story from TWS, and Fury sounded anything but a bureaucrat in that. Seemed much more the "outsider brought in" situation, no-nonsense career military guy not necessarily coloring within the lines.

Oh I don’t know the reasons but it was the saddest thing. He and Anna Faris made such a cute couple. I guess they were just moving in different directions in life. I think it happened about a year ago
Oh damn, didn’t know that. :(

Yeah it was the saddest thing. And with a young lad too

I can’t wait to see the young SLJ in a new trailer. Apart from his looks it will be interesting to see how he acts as a younger man with less experience compared to the veteran, grizzled Fury.

Yeah it was the saddest thing. And with a young lad too
Oh right :(

Such a shame. I’ve always liked Anna Faris, and they seemed to make a good couple as you said.

It's weird they're continually referencing him as "young" here though. :oldrazz:

Dude was 49 at the time, and ostensibly the MCU version of the character has probably been running in these military/intelligence circles since Vietnam.

Gee it’s eerie seeing him with two eyes. My guess is Coulson is the one that takes his eye out. Obviously Coulson as a skrull though

I'm kinda weird on the eye thing, in a way I'd almost prefer they didn't make a huge deal out of it beyond his cool badass line in The Winter Soldier. Not really sure why he needs to lose it in some big throwdown with an alien or whatever, would have just been fine with it as some old Vietnam wound personally. Can see why they're doing it though, showing it on-film, the opportunity's there.

Is he even going to lose it in this film? In Winter Soldier, didn't he show a pic of him and Pierce together which was later than this? He had a bald head there but still two eyes. Why does he suddenly shave his head in this movie?

It's weird they're continually referencing him as "young" here though. :oldrazz:

Dude was 49 at the time, and ostensibly the MCU version of the character has probably been running in these military/intelligence circles since Vietnam.
Come on, 49 is young enough. :o

We have seen Russell Crowe call Tom Cruise "Young Man" in The Mummy, this is more believable. :o

Is he even going to lose it in this film? In Winter Soldier, didn't he show a pic of him and Pierce together which was later than this? He had a bald head there but still two eyes. Why does he suddenly shave his head in this movie?

Yeah, that's what I was saying initially back before shooting, when people were talking about him losing an eye here. I haven't watched TWS in a year or two, but from memory he has both eyes in the photo there. But that was '92, so with the new info recently that seems to point to the meat of Carol's movie being more '98-ish, the continuity fits. So yeah, there goes my "I would have been fine it if was just some Vietnam wound" thing, gotta be post-'92.

Come to think of it I don't know if there's even been anything substantial pointing to him losing an eye here, maybe Hypesters have just been assuming it with the speculation. Wouldn't put it past the studio to want to showcase it here, but I'll be just fine if they don't all the same. Seems a little convenient for it to happen during a Carol story, but that's probably part of the reason they'll want to do it - unlikely we'll be getting much other exploration of the time between the Ant-Man flashback and Iron Man 1. If they want to show it, this'd be the time.

I'm kinda wondering if her being taken off world didn't include the U.S. government in some way? I am starting to feel that maybe Fury's part will be to help her unwind her past from that angle. She's in a flight suit when some of her power manifests so, could be she gets traded to the Kree in exchange for something?

Yeah, that's what I was saying initially back before shooting, when people were talking about him losing an eye here. I haven't watched TWS in a year or two, but from memory he has both eyes in the photo there. But that was '92, so with the new info recently that seems to point to the meat of Carol's movie being more '98-ish, the continuity fits. So yeah, there goes my "I would have been fine it if was just some Vietnam wound" thing, gotta be post-'92.

Come to think of it I don't know if there's even been anything substantial pointing to him losing an eye here, maybe Hypesters have just been assuming it with the speculation. Wouldn't put it past the studio to want to showcase it here, but I'll be just fine if they don't all the same. Seems a little convenient for it to happen during a Carol story, but that's probably part of the reason they'll want to do it - unlikely we'll be getting much other exploration of the time between the Ant-Man flashback and Iron Man 1. If they want to show it, this'd be the time.

According to an article on the internet (I'll have to find the link later), it says that Captain Marvel can't take place any later than 1994. When she crashes into that Blockbuster Video store, the fact that it says "Video" sets it firmly within a certain time period. Apparently the video chain stopped using the word "Video" in 1994, and simply rebranded as "Blockbuster" after then.

Now I did also say that the presence of the word "Video" might not necessarily date it to a certain time. They may have used an anachronism and given it that full name in order for viewers now (who are not so familiar with the concept of a video rental store by that name) to know exactly what it is when they see it without having to explain. So they may have sacrificed accuracy for clarity, as many films often do.

But if it is actually 1994, that means that many of the good 90s tunes won't be usable. The Spice Girls weren't around until 96, and that would probably exclude B*witched as well. The Macarena was in existence in 94, but didn't become a worldwide hit until 96.

I don't know if they'd get that specific with those types of details. Plenty of new corporate logos/titles take time to filter down too, plenty of older signs on various stores around the place.

Someone recently in here said circa '98, forget who, but that would seem to make sense to me given a few of the references we have. Kind of thinking we're getting a couple of time jumps along the way, like her Starforce & initial return to earth might be '92/'93 (which would explain the Clinton election posters still around), then the meat of the plot, "prime Carol" (red outfit, knowing who she is, all buddy-buddy with Fury, Kree actually making it to earth etc) might be more later 90s, '97/'98 or something. The NIN shirt would back that - unless she's some hardcore under-the-radar music nerd I don't know someone like Carol would be that aware of NIN in 1992, and the design of the pager looks somehow a little more late 90s to me (though that's a weird thing to pay much attention to, acknowledged).

I'm kinda wondering if her being taken off world didn't include the U.S. government in some way? I am starting to feel that maybe Fury's part will be to help her unwind her past from that angle. She's in a flight suit when some of her power manifests so, could be she gets traded to the Kree in exchange for something?

I’m wondering about that too. Fury says something in the trailer about a soldier who has deserted or something. I wonder what carol found out which made her give the kree the flick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"