Sequels (Speculation) Captain America III: Fallen Son (The Death of Captain America)?

Jordanstine

Civilian
Reaction score
With the big players like Agent 13 and Crossbones already in place for Captain America: Winter Soldier, will the 3rd installment of the Captain America franchise eventually lead to “The Fallen Son” storyline – The Death of Captain America?

[Comic Book SPOILERS]

Captain_America_25.jpg

A lot of people missed this Easter Egg on the trailer:

BROCK_CROSSBONES_FRANK-GRILLO_-590x245.jpg

Actor on the right is Frank Grillo. He's playing the SHIELD character Brock Rumlow, who in the comics will eventually become Crossbones.

Not shown in the trailer but, actress Emily Van Camp is confirmed to reprise the role of Agent 13.

Crossbones-574x395.jpg

And let’s not forget perhaps the biggest player, the Winter Soldier, also appearing in the next film, and this all leads the door open to a potential “The Fallen Son” storyline to take place in Captain America 3, because as comic book readers know…
...it was Crossbones, with the help of Agent 13, who assassinates Steve Rogers, leading to the Winter Soldier stepping in, and a new Captain America.

2354336-7787742980-tumbl.gif

Remember just this past August, when Joss Whedon didn’t rule out the possibility of killing off a major superhero in The Avengers? Said Whedon in an interview:
"Um… maybe, [but] I’d have to have a really good reason, a really great sequence for [Marvel executives] to go, ‘We’ll cut off a potential franchise, that’s fine!’ They know, as any good studio does, that without some stakes, some real danger, how involved can we get? We don’t just rule it out across the board, but neither is the mission statement ‘Who can we kill?’ We try to build the story organically and go, ‘How hard can we make it on these people?’”

joss_whedon_39185.jpg

Chris Evans' contract is also up after either The Avengers 3 / Captain America 3, but what's interesting about this film franchise is that killing off Captain America won't kill off the franchise, it just continues it for future phases and stories to come.

The impact of a major superheroes’ death, especially like one Captain America, on the big screen would also be immeasurably felt by audiences.

It may not happen in The Avengers, but it could possibly happen in another major superhero film… perhaps Captain America 3: The Fallen Son…

fallensonthedeathofcaptainamerica5.jpg

Last edited:
It would presumably be a good way to go if Evan's no longer wants to play Cap, but I don't think Marvel would plan something like this unless the contract is up

I wouldn't ever, by any means, title it "Fallen Son" and give away the death of the main character 6 months before they even film the damn thing.

Otherwise, yes. I want Cap to "die." I mean truly, does any Marvel character ever really die? That being said, it could just as easily be done in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Frank Grillo is supposed to reprise his role in that. Then Bucky takes up the Stars and Stripes in Cap 3. And finds some way of bringing Steve back. Time Gem anyone?

Then it can be titled "Man Out of Time" or "Sentinel of Liberty" or whatever.

Crossbones and Agent 13 are long time members of Cap's supporting cast. I wouldn't take their inclusion to mean they're doing a storyline that both were coincidentally involved in.

The thought had occurred to me, however. Given Natasha's prominence and Sharon's lack thereof, one could imagine Marvel is going in that direction.

But it really doesn't seem like that good an idea.

People like Evans as Cap. Though at the same time, Cap isn't that big deal, at least not yet. In the comics, Cap has always been the elder statesman on the marvel universe. In the movieverse, he's just another superhero. Killing him simply doesn't have the impact it does in print.

i don't think anyone missed the fact all these characters are in the movie and are Captain America characters who were involved in that storyline...as well as many others. :/

Also, VanCamp has already said her role in the film isn't big and it's just meant as an introduction to her character. The reason being she starts out as Cap's neighbor "Kate" which means she's probably spying on him for someone. So they don't want to make her a big part of the promotional stuff since she isn't going to be his ally for most of the film.

Last edited:
i don't think anyone missed the fact all these characters are in the movie and are Captain America characters who were involved in that storyline...as well as many others. :/

Well, the OP seemed to be thinking otherwise.

Also, VanCamp has already said her role in the film isn't big and it's just meant as an introduction to her character. The reason being she starts out as Cap's neighbor "Kate" which means she's probably spying on him for someone. So they don't want to make her a big part of the promotional stuff since she isn't going to be his ally for most of the film.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

Last edited:
Again this is all just speculation, especially with the remarks of Joss Whedon, etc.

Chris Evans has a 6 picture deal with Marvel: Cap 1, TA 1, Cap 2, TA 2, Cap 3, TA 3 - his contract would be done likely after Cap 3 which would be after TA 3.

Similarly, Sebastian Stan also has a 6 picture deal with Marvel:

http://screenrant.com/sebastian-stan-cast-bucky-captain-america-movie-rob-51987/

1) Cap 1
2) Cap 2
3) Cap 3 (most likely)
4) ???
5) ???
6) ???

Again this is all just speculation, especially with the remarks of Joss Whedon, etc.

Chris Evans has a 6 picture deal with Marvel: Cap 1, TA 1, Cap 2, TA 2, Cap 3, TA 3 - his contract would be done likely after Cap 3 which would be after TA 3.

http://screenrant.com/sebastian-stan-cast-bucky-captain-america-movie-rob-51987/

1) Cap 1
2) Cap 2
3) Cap 3 (most likely)
4) ???
5) ???
6) ???

It's easy to read too much into the "six-picture deal" that Marvel customarily makes with their talent. Pretty sure that Ed Norton had a "six-picture deal," and probably several other cast members of TIH, who've never been heard from again.

The six-picture deal is just an option. If the studio decides they want the actor for future projects, even if it's just cameo pop-ins in other movies/TV shows, they can exercise that option in the contract. Otherwise, I wouldn't take it to mean that anybody who signs such a contract is inevitably going to appear in six films.

I'll be frank. I'm a huge cap fan but I'd pass on that completely. I cannot describe how much I hate the whole premise and execution of that storyline and how much I despise the Winter soldier/Bucky as Cap.

1) Cap 1
2) Cap 2
3) Cap 3 (most likely)
4) ???
5) ???
6) ???

Why in the world would Cap 3 come after Avengers 3? Cap 2 is over a year before AAOU.

I think it may happen, but not just yet.

With the big players like Agent 13 and Crossbones already in place for Captain America: Winter Soldier, will the 3rd installment of the Captain America franchise eventually lead to “The Fallen Son” storyline – The Death of Captain America?

[Comic Book SPOILERS]

Captain_America_25.jpg

A lot of people missed this Easter Egg on the trailer:

BROCK_CROSSBONES_FRANK-GRILLO_-590x245.jpg

Actor on the right is Frank Grillo. He's playing the SHIELD character Brock Rumlow, who in the comics will eventually become Crossbones.

Not shown in the trailer but, actress Emily Van Camp is confirmed to reprise the role of Agent 13.

Crossbones-574x395.jpg

And let’s not forget perhaps the biggest player, the Winter Soldier, also appearing in the next film, and this all leads the door open to a potential “The Fallen Son” storyline to take place in Captain America 3, because as comic book readers know…
...it was Crossbones, with the help of Agent 13, who assassinates Steve Rogers, leading to the Winter Soldier stepping in, and a new Captain America.

2354336-7787742980-tumbl.gif

Remember just this past August, when Joss Whedon didn’t rule out the possibility of killing off a major superhero in The Avengers? Said Whedon in an interview:

joss_whedon_39185.jpg

Chris Evans' contract is also up after either The Avengers 3 / Captain America 3, but what's interesting about this film franchise is that killing off Captain America won't kill off the franchise, it just continues it for future phases and stories to come.

The impact of a major superheroes’ death, especially like one Captain America, on the big screen would also be immeasurably felt by audiences.

It may not happen in The Avengers, but it could possibly happen in another major superhero film… perhaps Captain America 3: The Fallen Son…

fallensonthedeathofcaptainamerica5.jpg

I actually thought the left guy came off as Crossbones, my bad.

Wouldn't you need something like Civil War to happen first?

I thought Whedon was only being sarcastic with regards to killing off Avengers as it sounded like Marvel(aka the guys Joss answers to and his boss) wants to hang on to their cash cows until one of them goes stale or tanks hard.

They aren't going to kill off Cap. Full stop. They'll "James Bond" it (to use Fiege's words) and move on, the same as Iron Man & Thor, same as they already have done with Banner.

They aren't going to kill off Cap. Full stop. They'll "James Bond" it (to use Fiege's words) and move on, the same as Iron Man & Thor, same as they already have done with Banner.

But at the same time their certainly is the option to kill Cap off and still have the franchise continuing. It would be a pretty ballsy move, but Marvel is a pretty ballsy company, so I wouldn't rule it out completely.

I can see it working, as you could continue with Sebastian Stan as Captain America/Bucky for 3 more films, whether its Avengers, Captain America, SHIELD or whatever. In his last film he brings Cap back and thats when Steve Rogers would essentially get the James Bond treatment.

I think that would make sense and it would put some years between Chris Evans as Cap and whoever steps in to take on the role.

I would be interested to see how audiences react to something like that, as it would be the first time a Major hero dies on screen while the franchise lives on. Will audience show up for the next film??

But at the same time their certainly is the option to kill Cap off and still have the franchise continuing. It would be a pretty ballsy move, but Marvel is a pretty ballsy company, so I wouldn't rule it out completely.

I can see it working, as you could continue with Sebastian Stan as Captain America/Bucky for 3 more films, whether its Avengers, Captain America, SHIELD or whatever. In his last film he brings Cap back and thats when Steve Rogers would essentially get the James Bond treatment.

I think that would make sense and it would put some years between Chris Evans as Cap and whoever steps in to take on the role.

I would be interested to see how audiences react to something like that, as it would be the first time a Major hero dies on screen while the franchise lives on. Will audience show up for the next film??

If I was Feige, or whoever's in charge, and I was seriously contemplating a Death of Cap/Bucky Takes the Reins scenario, I'd wait to see what the audience response to CATWS is first. If CATWS breaks big, it's likely to generate a much bigger fanbase for either Cap or Bucky. If it turns out that Sebastian Stan steals the show, then I'm sure a "Captain Bucky" transition would go a lot smoother. But if Chris Evans gets a substantially larger shot in the arm this go round than his previous outings --- as I believe will be the case --- then you can't kill him off just yet.

I wish they had the balls to do it and would love to see it on-screen but it's definitely 2-3 movies too soon. I love the fact that they're being patient with the story though and hope they don't rush the story.

If I was Feige, or whoever's in charge, and I was seriously contemplating a Death of Cap/Bucky Takes the Reins scenario, I'd wait to see what the audience response to CATWS is first. If CATWS breaks big, it's likely to generate a much bigger fanbase for either Cap or Bucky. If it turns out that Sebastian Stan steals the show, then I'm sure a "Captain Bucky" transition would go a lot smoother. But if Chris Evans gets a substantially larger shot in the arm this go round than his previous outings --- as I believe will be the case --- then you can't kill him off just yet.

Well after TWS we would still have Evans in TA2, and CA3 (till he dies) and even TA3 if it's before cap 3 so he'd still have time to shine

I agree, it is a logical approach. Assume that they don't go crazy and kill WS off in CATWS, they have a lot of rooms to play with this. I can see Steve's 'death' in TA:AoU with WS showing up at the end (I think he'll run off at the end of CATWS). CA3 can start with BuckyCap then Steve return. I really like both Evans and Stan, I'll be happy either way. I do think each fit their current role very well.

I just noticed on IMDB that the cast lineup is different. Then I saw Stan's STARmeter soared significantly this week. He is currently ahead of Evans. :wow:

I'd go;

Thor II: TDW/CA II: TWS/GOTG/Avengers: AOU > Antman > Thor III > Iron Man 4...

...CA III: Fallen Son/TDoCA (include Bucky's redemption)

into Avengers III with Bucky & team avenging Steve as Captain America with a tease in the credits about with Steve's return. even set up Tony's move from behind the suit into leader of SHIELD.

Therefore Chris' 6th film can be Captain America 4 and be all about his legacy.

I don't want dead characters returning left and right like in the comics....

I don't want dead characters returning left and right like in the comics....

I do. I want the movies to be as close to the comics as possible, resurrections included. :word:

Figuring Cap 3 likely will come before Avengers 3, my answer to this is ZERO chance of happening. Evans will be in Avengers 3. Captain America will still be Steve Rogers. Also, I would MUCH rather see Rogers as Cap (and see a recasting) rather than Bucky take over.

But, I don't think this has any chance of happening. Unless they kill him in Avengers 3 (that has a chance of happening, but then again, anyone can die in Avengers 3).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"