Sequels (Speculation) Captain America III: Fallen Son (The Death of Captain America)?

Why recast Steve Rogers (NOBODY likes recasting) rather than just go the path of the comics and have Bucky take over the mantle?

Because of the idea that the "real" Cap is now dead? It's not like they're saying "No Evans, no franchise." They would maintain better continuity if they just have Stan take over as Bucky Cap, not to mention it's a risk and that makes it inherently more interesting by default.

If they don't use Bucky Cap, that's fine too. But I'd rather not see recasting unless we're talking reboot. As much as I like Don Cheadle (one of the only great things about Iron Man 2 and 3), I was annoyed to see them recast Terrence Howard as Rhodes. Ruffalo taking the place of Norton would've bothered me but I think I was too busy geeking out over the fact Avengers was even being made.

At this point I think it would be beyond goofy to have new people in place of Cap and Iron Man (if not even more members of the team) while some remain the same actors, without a story-based reason. It just seems jarring and ruins the cohesiveness of the MCU.

What's wrong with recasting? The MCU has already seen several recasted characters. Most important amongst them was Banner, and we actually got a BETTER Banner out of it. I'd say Cheadle was an improvement, too. Superheroes are not characters that once portrayed, no one can do it again. Superheroes are more James Bond: the appeal is the costume/hero. Not the actor. I don't see eye to eye with this mentality that once Actor A is done, we should never let someone else continue it. When you're growing a world like the MCU, asking for the same actors to play them forever is unreasonable. People are going to leave, and the best answer isn't to kill everyone that leaves.

Bucky taking over the mantle at this stage holds no emotional weight. It is too early. You need to build to that, not rush it. Killing Cap next film, when his reign in the modern era as Captain America has amounted to like 2 years, is too soon. When Cap dies, the world should mourn. I think that should take longer than 2ish years to build too. Can they do that storyline eventually? Sure, but I'd honestly rather just see a new Steve Rogers at this point in time. I think most non-comic fans would as well. When the main character of your series and the mantle is passed to a new character, it should be because that character's time has come and his story has been told. Not because you want to do a storyline on film that sold a bunch of comics and shock value. The only reason people want this to happen is due to popularity/shock value. This ignores the state of the franchise and the continuing potential of the Steve Rogers character. Poor decision making when you're navigating a franchise.

Besides, the Bucky Cap tenure was very short lived. There is a reason for that. The people want Steve Rogers. Not Bucky Barnes. We should let the relationships between them build more before we do anything drastic like this. We have plenty of stories to tell with Rogers before he dies.

Not to mention that there are so many potential storylines that we don't have to kill him at all.

Recast. There's alot more stories to tell with Steve Rogers. He's been around longer than just the last 10 years.

Captain America 4 should have Bucky as Cap. Rogers goes out in the battle with Thanos in Avengers 3. Rogers needs to finish his business with Red Skull Von Strucker and Hydra in Cap 3

Yeah worst case scenario they could recast, but at that point Evans will have 3 solo Cap films under his belt and hopefully 3 Avengers films, meaning 6 films with Chris Evans as Cap. IMO more so than the other MCU characters, Cap has the potential for a long running James Bond type franchise. As others have said, Cap has an extensive collection of very cinematic/filmable story arcs throughout his run i.e The Bloodstone Hunt, Streets of poison, Madbomb, Secret Empire, etc.

I would have to agree that it might be too soon to do a death of Captain America storyline, or at least one based off of fallen son. For what it's worth it's looked like Cap's "died" many times in the comics. Usually when a particular writing team would be moving on they would sometimes end it with Cap either seeming dead or missing, only to be resurrected at the start of the "new era". Same with most of the villains. One writer would have their fun bouncing around the usual roster of baddies, end each arc with the respective villain seemly dead and or incarcerated, then when a new team takes over you get either a resurrection or a break out so the new blood get to have their fun using old favorites.

There's a lot of more interesting directions to take Cap before seemingly killing him off. I mean he's goes through his Nomad, then there's The Captain, and John Walker's Cap and the birth of US Agent would be an interesting route. We would get to see Battlestar (Walker's Falcon) and maybe even the whole arc with "The Buckys". All that in and of it self could be it's own movie. There's so many good and interesting ideas in the comics.

It seems like the writers have a clear direction where they want to take the third film, implying it might be a continuation of the threads in TWS but also mention '50s pyscho Cap Burnside. Maybe the '50s Cap comment is just to say that they got a good handle on Cap's history and mythos and are willing to consider ideas like that in the overall process. Most likely Cap 3 will include at the very least [blackout]The return of Sharon, Falcon, and possibly(most likely) Bucky [/blackout], but at the same time even though the writers say it's going to be part 2 of an ongoing story, a part of me really wants the 3rd film to stand on it's own. I would like to see each film have it's own unique feel and identity if possible while continuing the ongoing story. TFA is a throwback to the period cliffhanger serial style adventures i.e Indiana Jones, The Rocketeer, The Shadow, The Phantom ; TWS is along the lines of a '70s political conspiracy thriller i.e Three days of the condor, Day of the Jackal, The original Bourne Identity and Robert Ludlum stories in general but also fused with the style and scope of the '80s James Cameron style sci-fi action/adventure.

Perhaps for the 3rd film if they use something like The Bloodstone Hunt as a base then we could see a contemporary James Bond/Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider/National Treasure/Mission:Impossible style globetrotter/treasure(MacGuffin) hunt action/adventure film. Wouldn't have to be a 100% panel for panel adaption by any means, but using the story, characters, and settings/locations as inspiration would be a direction I would be interested in seeing. But if they really have something else lined up for Cap 3 then at the very least they should do a Bloodstone Hunt inspired Cap film at some point, even if it's after Evans leaves the role, although it would be cool to see him in that story.

Captain America 4 should have Bucky as Cap. Rogers goes out in the battle with Thanos in Avengers 3. Rogers needs to finish his business with Red Skull Von Strucker and Hydra in Cap 3

Some good ideas, I think we could see all of that eventually in MCU but perhaps spread out a little differently. The way I could see it happeneing...some possibly spoilery speculation for AOU and possibly TWS and The Bloodstone Hunt
I think Von Strucker and his wing of Hydra will play a big role and will most likely be dealt with in AoU. Von Strucker always seemed more an arch for Nick Fury rather than Cap. I say dealt with but for the time being. Hydra would still be around but Strucker may seem to be or actually be dead. If Red Skull doesn't come back in AoU then they could bring him back at the end of Cap 3. If they do an adaption of Bloodstone Hunt they could easily work the title MacGuffin into a plot to resurrect Red Skull. They could have Zemo, the son, as the villain with Crossbones as one of his mercenaries/henchmen. Zemo would be after the stone to resurrect his father, while Crossbones could betray Zemo at the end and be revealed to have been working for Hydra/on behalf of the Red Skull the whole time, similar to Crossbones role in the original comic. I say similar because in the comic Bones wasn't working for Zemo but he did play a pivotal role in the story. In fact if I'm not mistaken Bloodstone hunt was Crossbones introduction. With Red Skull back by at least the end of Cap 3 then they could potentially use him alongside Thanos, Loki, possibly Ultron and whoever else might be introduced in Thor 3 as a version of the Masters of Evil for Avengers 3 or they could draw it out to Avengers 4.

A lot of potential.

Well, we know now that Cap 3 is coming out in 2016, before Avengers 3, which Chris Evans is contracted to be in, so, no Cap dying in Cap 3. They might kill him off in Avengers 3 since Stan has a 9 picture deal now with Marvel. I don't like it, because I don't think Stan has the charisma that Evans has, but maybe they're going to do it.

Well, we know now that Cap 3 is coming out in 2016, before Avengers 3, which Chris Evans is contracted to be in, so, no Cap dying in Cap 3. They might kill him off in Avengers 3 since Stan has a 9 picture deal now with Marvel. I don't like it, because I don't think Stan has the charisma that Evans has, but maybe they're going to do it.

I'd say yeah. It does seem like they have that as an option/possible direction to take the story and characters.

Steve Rogers has existed insce the 40s as Captain America. Bucky Barnes lasted only a few years as Captain America. There is a reason for that. Just saying. Also, Marvel to this point doesn't have a plethora of "sure thing" franchises. Interest in this series would no doubt decline if Steve Rogers died and Bucky became Cap. Cap will likely take a BO hit when a recast happens, no doubt. But, replacing the main character entirely rarely has worked in the film medium. I don't see why you'd make the financial risk, especially when the pool of stories for Rogers hasn't dried up. Also, Evans will be in Avengers 3. If this is going to happen, he'd likely die in Avengers 3 and Bucky would take over in Captain America 4. But, even then...I think recasting or trying to convince Evans to come back for a couple more films is a better option.

Steve Rogers has existed insce the 40s as Captain America. Bucky Barnes lasted only a few years as Captain America. There is a reason for that. Just saying. Also, Marvel to this point doesn't have a plethora of "sure thing" franchises. Interest in this series would no doubt decline if Steve Rogers died and Bucky became Cap. Cap will likely take a BO hit when a recast happens, no doubt. But, replacing the main character entirely rarely has worked in the film medium. I don't see why you'd make the financial risk, especially when the pool of stories for Rogers hasn't dried up. Also, Evans will be in Avengers 3. If this is going to happen, he'd likely die in Avengers 3 and Bucky would take over in Captain America 4. But, even then...I think recasting or trying to convince Evans to come back for a couple more films is a better option.
Plus, Evans did kind of hint that he'd be willing to work with Marvel again after his contract is up so he could possibly do another couple turns as CA. Not holding my breath on that one but something you can't rule out. I say Marvel lets him direct some stuff (maybe a One-Shot or two) and maybe he'll come back as CA.

Plus, Evans did kind of hint that he'd be willing to work with Marvel again after his contract is up so he could possibly do another couple turns as CA. Not holding my breath on that one but something you can't rule out. I say Marvel lets him direct some stuff (maybe a One-Shot or two) and maybe he'll come back as CA.

If he would sign a 2 film contract to do Cap 4 and Avengers 4, but he'd have to direct Cap 4, I'd let him (or at least consider it assuming his other films turn out well). I don't know if that is up his alley or not, but I'd offer it. I think they could also maybe space out his filming time once this contract ends to accomodate his directing.

When I first heard this talk about him retiring from acting or quitting Cap when his Marvel contract was up right on the eve of Cap possibly blowing up the first thing that came to mind was this guy is getting savvy and is preemptively getting ready for contract renegotiating with Marvel.

I was thinking all the Chris Evans "I'm done after my contract so I can direct" is just a smoke screen for one more secret Cap appearance after Bucky becomes Cap.

Then they can do the Captain America Reborn story with Evans coming back towards the end of the film to take back the shield from Bucky. After that they can "James Bond" it and start another franchise with another Steve Rogers

What? I don´t get why all this speculation on Cap´s death.. this is only based on Chris Evans contract, Marvel offered him 9 movies deal first, he said no but they really wanted him as Cap.. they negotiated a lot and they came down to 6 movies, that is how they convinced him to sign, it means: 3 Cap movies and 3 Avengers; just like RDJ is doing too (RDJ for a lot more money, though) but he also is doing 3 IM films and 3 Avengers movies and no one is saying they will kill Stark at the end of it.

The rest of the actors working for Marvel: Jackson, Scarlett, Stan.... they are all under 9 movie contracts, because that is what they signed, doesn´t mean Marvel will have them in 9 films, just that they reassured to have them back if they need them and when they need them.

If Marvel sees more story-line with Cap beyond Evans´ 6 movie contract, they will either negotiate with him or use Bucky as the new Cap, they don´t need to re-cast another actor for Steve Rogers. Also Evans clarified, that if it is worth to expand the story with Cap for more movies, he would do it (of course he will ask Marvel more money, not just the storyline :p )
But Steve Rogers is not dying in Cap 3, he will be in Avengers 3.

Ok. So everyone relax. Chris Evans is only halfway through his movie deal with Marvel. He still has 3 more to go. And who knows, the bottom may drop out of the superhero movie trend in the next couple of years and this discussion may be moot. Frankly, I don't want the role recast. They either need to do what the can to keep Chris Evans as CA or move on to Bucky Cap. Y'all must not remember all of the bruhaha when they first were planning on casting CA. It was hard as hell to cast and it will be nigh impossible to recast. The main reason for that is the fact that they always wanted Cap to be played by an American. How many blond, buff, American actors in their late 20s-early 30s are there running around Hollywood? Not that many.

Evans will make more Cap films. He is only 33. He may want to take a break and do other things for a while. Prove himself as an actor/director. But sooner or later he'll be back (even if they do kill him off).

He might even get a deal to star and direct cap 4.

ok.. so I really dont know anything about the Marvel comics.. so please forgive my ignorance.. but I did see a poster for Captain America - The fallen Son... did this movie actually get released in 2016? i cant seem to find it - I am doing a marvel dinner and a movie marathon... perhaps they are the same ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"