Smallville Talk Ville: The Smallville ReWatch Podcast

the producer talked of a time the studio tried to tell them not to make reference to Krypton being destroyed, as they had a project in the works where Krypton never was destroyed (beside the fact that, that was a completely separate storyline then Smallville, and Smallville has already used many reference to it happening already, or at least it was suggested and inplyed that they were basing there storyline on that event, and it was a ridicules request by the studio)

it did get me wondering what project they were talking about? was it something that never ended up happening? or...?

my first thought was maybe Superman Returns (as it did have that whole prologue that there was evidence of Krypton still existing... which was why he left Earth for so long in the first place) tho, even in that plot of that movie it turned out to be false ... I guess, I could see them avoiding other reference to Krypton being destroyed, to not spoiler that plot twist... but that twist already ignores 50+ years of Superman mythology, anyway

never noticed it in his younger day on the show... but couldn't help but think his voice sound like someone else familiar (while listing to Schneider in this, and other interviews he's done on the Pod) it finally hit me... anyone else think he kinda sounds like J.K. Simmons these days?

the producer talked of a time the studio tried to tell them not to make reference to Krypton being destroyed, as they had a project in the works where Krypton never was destroyed (beside the fact that, that was a completely separate storyline then Smallville, and Smallville has already used many reference to it happening already, or at least it was suggested and inplyed that they were basing there storyline on that event, and it was a ridicules request by the studio)

it did get me wondering what project they were talking about? was it something that never ended up happening? or...?

my first thought was maybe Superman Returns (as it did have that whole prologue that there was evidence of Krypton still existing... which was why he left Earth for so long in the first place) tho, even in that plot of that movie it turned out to be false ... I guess, I could see them avoiding other reference to Krypton being destroyed, to not spoiler that plot twist... but that twist already ignores 50+ years of Superman mythology, anyway

I think the Superman movie that had Krypton surviving was the JJ Abrams film (Superman Flyby) it was received negatively when it leaked and they ended up changing it (I think) there's a guy on youtube who covers all the canceled Superman films in a video, it was an interesting watch. There's also an old clip of Tom Welling beinf asked on Jimmy Fallon if he was asked to play Superman on the big screen (around '03-04 I think) and he did confirm it. I think that's when Bret Ratner was involved with the film (pre- Superman Returns.)

I recalled much of this Ep from its original air... the whole "Kara" appearance {first reference to the character at least before the later appearance of Laura Vandervoort's version} which I didn't realize (or remember) that it was, Adrianne Palicki, playing her {probably just didn't even know who she was at the time} an later when she became more known I just never made the connection

funny how after that, she went on to "almost" play Wonder Woman

knowing the Kara connection from the comics, it was a little jarring (before the plot twist reveal) that she was being kinda flirty with him at times, tho

when I first started to watch along with the Pod I bought a {used} complete series box set
(so, far they've been working fin) but, I just tried to put in the next DVD {for S3 eps 23-25} an it was corrupted :saddened:

interesting side note: {from what I was able to watch of it... before it froze up} this disk {#19 of the box set} had a Batman begins trailer before the menu screen

think this was the first disk I've seen with a trailer?

Definitely felt like a S1 episode. The ending with Clark/Lois was a great Smallville moment though.

I thought they did a good job at showing Lionel's discovering of Clark's powers... unlike previous time's that his powers were transferred, that they seemingly mastered all the powers overnight {like in Leech}

not sure what to make of Lionels cure... (can't recall if it is every fully adressed in a future episode) other then just the power of the stones them self in the transference process healing the host body

I remember them having a version of Mr. Mxyzptlk in the show (an I think he makes another appearance in a later episode, which they hinted at with the level 33.1 stinger) an I think I was getting those appearances mixed up... the main thing I remembered from this episode was the super speed during the game, an I knew that episode was coming up just didn't know in was this episode...

an interesting thought I had with the issue of them suspecting Clark of Juicing... an that the coach not giving him the actual test... it just made me think, would the test really show anything? I get that he can't get blood tests (an can't even draw blood with out some green-K)

but, even Superman has to p**, right? but, could you really tell anything about his true nature through Ur!ne... not to be weird or gross about it

Hocus Pocus meets Smallville...

right from the cold opening of the flash back of the 1600's I thought it was an odd choice to have Kristin Kreuk playing the witch (I get they wanted it to relate to Smallville and be a shocking reveal moment) but, even if it was establish that she was a distant relative, them looking that much alike took me out of the scene

tho, I didn't recall all the build about the tattoo and stuff with Lana... this episode did stand out to me in its original airing, as the introduction to Magic existing in the world of Smallville, and the concept of Clark being weak too it (tho, we kinda already got this with Jinx, only an couple episodes ago)

so, it was kinda odd that he reacted to magic existing the way he did

I thought it was funny how of all the people in Smallville, Lana (as Isabel) had to go all the way to Clark for that "hair sample"...
and the scissors breaking, was a classic Superman trope joke...
1710003955262.png
(which did open the question of how Clark has cut his hair up to this point...)

I guess since learning his laser-vision he can probably trim his own hair open that way in a mirror
(like we sometimes see him shaving) but, it was at least shown that he can rip his own hair off, so, maybe he's just done that anytime his hair got too long

over all {tho, fun at times} not the greatest episode, I do think they were a little harsh on it

an it was a bit of an anti-climateic conclusion to Lana's {mystery Tattoo} Story arc

I guess the big take away from this episode was Lex revealing that it was him who got Jason fired not Clark, so, Lana {and Jason} can stop being so mad at him (not that Jason had the right to be mad at Clark as he was the one in the wrong there, anyway...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"