Animation Smallville Animated Series

An Animated Smallville Sequel Is in Development with Original Cast Members - IGN

So, Tom Welling seems to be hinting at a new Smallville animated series from him and Michael Rosenbaum. Which, I dunno. I'm over Smallville. Crisis gave me closure. Also probably doesn't help that a key part of that series ain't ever returning, even if people were sick of her by the time she left.

They could adapt the comics. But I dont see it happening tbh since we already have a Superman animated series in the works and I dont see WB permitting 2 of them. But I'd totally be down for a Smallville DTV animated movies

I mean, they have Harley Quinn and the new Batman cartoon. If Welling and Rosenbaum are on board, I somehow don't think WB would object to it.

I mean, they have Harley Quinn and the new Batman cartoon. If Welling and Rosenbaum are on board, I somehow don't think WB would object to it.

Harley Quinn is not Batman and Batman is a guest star in the show just as Harley would be a guest in a Batman show. Smallville has to have Superman as the lead.

I don't know, this sounds like Welling might be trying to will this into existence. :funny:

They could adapt the comics. But I dont see it happening tbh since we already have a Superman animated series in the works and I dont see WB permitting 2 of them. But I'd totally be down for a Smallville DTV animated movies

Hard to say, who would have ever thought they would say yes to a Superman TV show in this day and age considering how they handle Superman in the last few years?
But 3 seems like something where WB would wrongly think "oh that is too much, people will get bored of so much Superman".

I don't know, this sounds like Welling might be trying to will this into existence. :funny:

A bit yeah, wouldnt be the first time right?
For some time they seem to try and will this into existence.
But i dont see any harm in that to be honest.

The people still think fondly about Smallville, it still has its fandom and weight.
So doing something if the lead actors clearly want to do something, seems like a win to me.

Not a bad idea, since this is based on something that was on TV for 10 years, it has a fanbase and some built in history so it would actually "feel" like something. I watched every episode of Smallville, even if I can honestly say that I thought that about 50% of its 10 years was crapola. But it did have a fair bit of fun stuff in it.

Since this seems like a pretty solid idea, it is easy to think that WB would say no to it.

Is any show on CW going to end soon ? If so, they may give a chance to Smallville animated series.

CW doesn't seem to like animation. It will absolutely be HBO Max.

I'd love to see this! Based on the comics would be neat, but if they do their own thing that's cool too.

Loved Smallville growing up, still love it to this day. Of course it had some very campy/cheesy stuff, but it also had some pretty interesting concepts for the Superman Mythology too.

Also really loved the casting of Clark/Lex/Lois. They did a great job as their younger characters. Actually loved a lot of the cast thinking about it. Definitely the best Pa & Ma Kent. Lionel Luthor....

Wonder if they'll ask Allison Mack to come back :o

I don't see how this is possible, would WB allow 2 (potentially competing) Superman animated series on at the same time (maybe not the SAME time but the same YEAR)?
I skipped Smallville from season 2 because the whole Lana/Clark nonsense got too much for me but I did come back and watch seasons 8-10 when the show became more Superman mythology focused and like L&C the show was cheesy but fun non the less.
I also happened to read Smallville season 11 comic and I thought alot of it was very solid so if they base the series on that I'm all for it.

Well there's some possible options;

- This could be a CW SEED-type thing (if it ever comes to fruition) and that wouldn't interfere with the HBO Max Animated Superman series.

- Like I said above, this could also be a 'Super Daughters' series, where perhaps Clark and Lois' teenage daughters begin to exhibit superpowers.

I'm not a fan of either option, but Welling wants money. I get it. His previous acting/producing gig just flopped... and he goes to enough conventions, so he knows there's some interest in this.

Well there's some possible options;

- This could be a CW SEED-type thing (if it ever comes to fruition) and that wouldn't interfere with the HBO Max Animated Superman series.

- Like I said above, this could also be a 'Super Daughters' series, where perhaps Clark and Lois' teenage daughters begin to exhibit superpowers.

I'm not a fan of either option, but Welling wants money. I get it. His previous acting/producing gig just flopped... and he goes to enough conventions, so he knows there's some interest in this.

Oh lord please no CW-Seed 2 min animated series. I dont think Welling is really in a position to make big demands so I it must be something he is interested in. WB/CW/DC arent itching for a new Superman rebrand when Superman and Lois has been a success and they are working on a new Superman animated series.

Yeah I think the Superman dance card is full.

"Superman and Lois" on network television.

"Superman" animated on HBOMax.

And JJ Abram's Superman Reboot in development for film.

That's why I didn't buy those Lies peddled by failing Comicbook sites about Brandon Routh getting a Kingdom Come Superman series.

I think this animated project is something being pushed by TW and MR, but will probably not happen unless there's significant fan support for it.

Welling and Rosenbaum talked a bit about their in development Smallville follow up series and while they haven't added anything new, they do seem serious about getting this series over the line.

It's interesting, only 5 years ago they'd have no chance of getting this made but thanks to the advent of streaming services, animation has been to taken to a whole new level.
Once upon a time, animated shows were made expressly to sell merch and toys (in the vain of HE-Man, Transformers, Thundercats etc....) and when solid shows like Green Lantern or great ones like Young Justice don't sell merchandise they get the axe, but now shows like Harley Quinn, Tresse, Invincible and Castlevania have shown that animation can reach a much wider audiences, hence I can see a world where this show might get green lit.

Source:https://www.cbr.com/smallville-anim...ibution&utm_source=CBR-TW&utm_campaign=CBR-TW

If this sets after the show and in the Smallville comics, where he wears the suit and flies I'd be interested. I'm not interested if it's set during the series.

If this sets after the show and in the Smallville comics, where he wears the suit and flies I'd be interested. I'm not interested if it's set during the series.

Ask and you shall receive:

"Welling made clear that this would be a story told past the end of Smallville's original run, rather than in the same timeline: "Here we are, 20 years later since it started and one of the most frequent questions is, where do you see your characters now? So that's literally what we'll be addressing."

Source:Smallville Animated Series Is 'Very Real', Will Tell Stories of Where the Characters Are Now - IGN

I still maintain that it will be a hard sell because of the upcoming HBO Superman animated series, but who knows, with Action comics #1 (and it's contents) becoming public domain in about 10yrs, I think WB will try to milk Superman for all his worth, so don't be surprised to see a heck of a lot of Superman in the coming decade.

I think they don't want anything to conflict with My Adventures With Superman.

I look forward to the day Superman enters public domain.

I look forward to the day Superman enters public domain.

It's a double edged sword, iconic characters like king Arthur, Robin Hood, Zorro and Tarzan haven't really benefited from being in the public domain because anyone can make a movie or a TV show or a cartoon about them, thus quality control becomes an issue. On the other hand Sherlock Holmes continues to have success across film and TV, so as I said, it's a double edged sword.

I need to note though that it is Action #1 that becomes public domain and not the entirety of the Superman mythology because the only recognizable elements of Action#1 are Superman, Clark and Lois, while things like Krypton, Kal-el, Jor-el/Lara, the Kents, Smallville, Daily Planet, Kryptonite, FOS, Supergirl, superboy, krypto, all of Superman's support cast and rogues gallery aren't included and are thus owned by DC and WB. Hence if someone like say Marvel wants to make a Superman movie they can't include any of the above elements, heck even the name "Superman" is trade marked so they'd have to call the movie THE man of steel (Man of Steel already taken) or Kent or Clark & Lois (Lois and clark is already taken) and Superman can't fly or have x-ray and heat vision or Super hearing and even his stylized, classic "S" symbol would have to be re-stylized.
To be honest after the s*** treatment Superman has gotten from WB I wouldn't mind someone else take a shot at the character and actually do it justice, I mean imagine a Kevin Feige led Superman movie that pays homage to Donner's original while updating certain elements.

It's a double edged sword, iconic characters like king Arthur, Robin Hood, Zorro and Tarzan haven't really benefited from being in the public domain because anyone can make a movie or a TV show or a cartoon about them, thus quality control becomes an issue. On the other hand Sherlock Holmes continues to have success across film and TV, so as I said, it's a double edged sword.

I need to note though that it is Action #1 that becomes public domain and not the entirety of the Superman mythology because the only recognizable elements of Action#1 are Superman, Clark and Lois, while things like Krypton, Kal-el, Jor-el/Lara, the Kents, Smallville, Daily Planet, Kryptonite, FOS, Supergirl, superboy, krypto, all of Superman's support cast and rogues gallery aren't included and are thus owned by DC and WB. Hence if someone like say Marvel wants to make a Superman movie they can't include any of the above elements, heck even the name "Superman" is trade marked so they'd have to call the movie THE man of steel (Man of Steel already taken) or Kent or Clark & Lois (Lois and clark is already taken) and Superman can't fly or have x-ray and heat vision or Super hearing and even his stylized, classic "S" symbol would have to be re-stylized.
To be honest after the s*** treatment Superman has gotten from WB I wouldn't mind someone else take a shot at the character and actually do it justice, I mean imagine a Kevin Feige led Superman movie that pays homage to Donner's original while updating certain elements.

Oh I know how public domain works as I done research on it for the last few years. Not just Action Comics storyline with Superman, Lois, and Clark, but also all the other comic stories that were in Action #1. While it's true DC holds the trademark to the Superman name, we can call him Superman only in inside content. Trademark refers to commercial branding as only DC can put the Superman name on front.

I have no problem doing without the mythology as I just need to focus on Superman, Lois, Clark, Daily Star, and it's EIC George Taylor. I think Superman with super-strength, super-speed, super senses, durability, and leaping are enough to suffice.

Oh I know how public domain works as I done research on it for the last few years.

Good on you, most people don't bother with research anymore, they just react immediately on social media.

I have no problem doing without the mythology as I just need to focus on Superman, Lois, Clark, Daily Star, and it's EIC George Taylor. I think Superman with super-strength, super-speed, super senses, durability, and leaping are enough to suffice.

Agreed, I'd ignore Krypton completely, say that Clark grew up in Kansas without naming Smallville, have Johnathan and Martha there without calling out their names or maybe I can use Sarah and Eben (like the Kirk Allen serials and the 1st Superman novel) although I think even that is forbidden.
I wouldn't have Clark working in America period, instead he'd be an independent reporter who goes to hot spots around the world (Syria, Burma etc...) to report on big events and help out in secret and it's there that he meets Lois Lane who is a foreign correspondent for the Daily STAR.
I can still have the FOS (the name was taken from Doc Savage so I don't think DC owns the concept or name), while doing away with kryptonite aka "get out jail card for writers who can't think of a creative way to challenge superman" might be the best thing to ever happen to the character.
The only real loss would be the flying, which to be honest I don't think Superman can do without.

Good on you, most people don't bother with research anymore, they just react immediately on social media.

Agreed, I'd ignore Krypton completely, say that Clark grew up in Kansas without naming Smallville, have Johnathan and Martha there without calling out their names or maybe I can use Sarah and Eben (like the Kirk Allen serials and the 1st Superman novel) although I think even that is forbidden.
I wouldn't have Clark working in America period, instead he'd be an independent reporter who goes to hot spots around the world (Syria, Burma etc...) to report on big events and help out in secret and it's there that he meets Lois Lane who is a foreign correspondent for the Daily STAR.
I can still have the FOS (the name was taken from Doc Savage so I don't think DC owns the concept or name), while doing away with kryptonite aka "get out jail card for writers who can't think of a creative way to challenge superman" might be the best thing to ever happen to the character.
The only real loss would be the flying, which to be honest I don't think Superman can do without.

It's sad to see the art of research being lost with today's audience.

In reading through Superman's early stories, I found out that Krypton wasn't named until the following year in 1939.

When Action Comics #1 joins up with the Fleischer Superman cartoons in the public domain, I can see a new Superman universe being born.

In reading through Superman's early stories, I found out that Krypton wasn't named until the following year in 1939.

Correct, it was in superman #1 that Krypton, Jor-L, Kal-L (no Es), John and Mary (not Martha) kent were named. Honestly I wish they would've kept it Mary not Martha, it would've saved us from that awfully filmed "MARTHA" scene in Dawn of Just***t.

When Action Comics #1 joins up with the Fleischer Superman cartoons in the public domain, I can see a new Superman universe being born.

:eek: Wait...what!! Fleischer cartoons going into the public domain? When is that gonna happen?

Correct, it was in superman #1 that Krypton, Jor-L, Kal-L (no Es), John and Mary (not Martha) kent were named. Honestly I wish they would've kept it Mary not Martha, it would've saved us from that awfully filmed "MARTHA" scene in Dawn of Just***t.

:eek: Wait...what!! Fleischer cartoons going into the public domain? When is that gonna happen?

The Superman Fleischer cartoons were already in the public domain for years. It's why they put out various home video releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"