• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ten questions... Superman

1. Christopher Reeve
2. Dean Cain
3. Superman: The Movie
4. Smallville
5. Teri Hatcher
6. Michael Rosenbaum
7. Too difficult for me to say.
8. General Zod
9. Don't have any.
10. I'll go with a sequel. I don't have story ideas but I would like a creative team with a background with Superman. Geoff Johns for the story. Michael Green for the screenplay. I would hold out hope for J.J. Abrams but settle for Matt Vaughn or Brad Bird.

1. Who is your favourite Superman? Christopher Reeve

2. Who is your favourite Clark Kent? Christopher Reeve

3. What is your favourite Superman movie? Superman: The Movie

4. What is your favourite Superman TV show? Adventures of Superman

5. Who is your favourite live action Lois Lane? Margot Kidder

6. Who is your favourite live action Lex Luthor? Gene Hackman

7. What is your favourite Superman comic story? Death and Return of Superman

8. Who is your favourite Superman villain? Lex Luthor

9. What is your favourite Superman animated series or movie? Superman: The Animated Series

10. Briefly pitch your ideal Superman movie (be it a sequel to an existing film or a brand new film)?

The perfect Superman movie would be the origin from STM combined with the Zod storyline from Superman II. They actually had the right idea with Man of Steel, but the execution was mixed.

1. Who is your favourite Superman?

Christopher Reeve, no question. He was born for the role.

2. Who is your favourite Clark Kent?

Probably Tyler Hoechlin. It would be Reeve but his bumbling awkwardness doesn't work for a modern take. Tyler Hoechlin's Clark was the perfect modern version.

3. What is your favourite Superman movie?

Superman The Movie. I watch it all the time.

4. What is your favourite Superman TV show?

If we're only going by live action, Supergirl then Smallville. I'm not a massive fan of either, but there are a lot of good things about both shows.

5. Who is your favourite live action Lois Lane?

Erica Durance. She's STAS Lois come to life.

6. Who is your favourite live action Lex Luthor?

Michael Rosenbaum easily. No one else even comes close.

7. What is your favourite Superman comic story?

All Star Superman is a good story, but most importantly it nails the character.

8. Who is your favourite Superman villain?

Lex Luthor and STAS Brainiac.

9. What is your favourite Superman animated series or movie?

Superman the Animated Series is my favorite version of Superman ever. I literally have zero complaints regarding that show.

10. Briefly pitch your ideal Superman movie (be it a sequel to an existing film or a brand new film)?

My ideal film features Brainiac as the main bad guy, with Lex as a secondary villain. It'd be based on "Stolen Memories", a perfect STAS episode where Lex brings Brainiac to Earth and Superman has to take him down.

Superman: Tyler Hoechlin (he should've been the DCEU Superman, he's far better than Cavill. I've said it before, Cavill seems like a good guy, but I don't think he has the chops to do the role justice in the same way that Reeve and Hoechlin did)

Lex Luthor: Bryan Cranston. (Snyder should've listened to the fans, Eisenberg was a big mistake)

Lois Lane: Mila Kunis (Amy Adams is one of the best actresses alive, but I think we would've benefited from an actress with more of a natural comedic edge)

Jimmy Olsen: Donald Glover (What Snyder did to Jimmy was a disgrace)

Brainiac: Hugo Weaving maybe? The most important part of Brainiac is the voice. Honestly I'd be cool with Corey Burton (the voice of STAS Brainiac) being cast and then using mocap for his appearance

Loved Reeve, grew up during his era, but Cavill

Reeve

Man of Steel

STAS

Margot Kidder

None

Kingdom Come. Red Son comes a very close second

Zod (as played by Shannon)

STAS

Adaptation of Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

First up Superman...

Christopher Reeve, simply the best.

Very torn here, I liked Clark Kent as a regular Joe in Man of Steel, but again
Reeve's amazing transformation is something to behold. Going to go with Reeve again.

Superman the Movie, one of the greatest superhero movies of all-time.

Superman TAS, because they got him so right. Having said that the best live action TV Superman is Tyler Hoechlin by miles and miles

Amy Adams, no contest. Despite looking nothing like the traditional Lois she's such a good actress that she makes Lois one of the best things about the current Superman.

To be honest, I haven't really thought that any of them have got Lex right, whereas animated Lex has been spot on. I'll say Gene Hackman.

All Star Superman, because it's both sad and uplifting, and captures
everything about the character that makes him who he is.
Kingdom Come is a very close second, and of course "For the Man who
Has Everything." Red Son and Superman:Brainiac must be mentioned.

John Byrne was the first person to really do Luthor well, so I've never thought much of his live action versions.

Live action wise, it has to be General Zod -wish they hadn't killed him off in Man of Steel.

Again, Superman TAS is pretty perfect, although the animated version of All-Star Superman is pretty amazing.

John Byrne's Man of Steel as an origin film would be perfect, where it ends with him confronting and accepting his kryptonian heritage (with appearances by Batman, and Luthor and Bizarro as villains).

In terms of where to go after B v S, a film where Superman smiles more and uses both his brains and fists to tackle his enemies - a perfect blend of kick-ass Superman and good-guy Superman.

Christopher Reeve easily. I love how Reeve transitions to him from bumbling Clark

I'd go with Cavill. This one is hard though because Reeve is so good at showing how Clark Kent isn't real. He's just an act. But if Clark is real, I'd go with Cavill with Welling a close second.

Another tough one. I'll go with Man of Steel although I hated Shannon as Zod and hated some of Snyder's decisions. But what the film gets right, it really gets right.

Lois and Clark and Smallville both have their places, but I'll go with Lois and Clark because it is more of a Superman show

Erica Durance. By a mile. Amy Adams is a great actress but they've given her crap to work with.

Rosenbaum easily here. I love Hackman though but Rosenbaum had the benefit of fleshing out the character over years. He really had depth.

Kingdom Come then Birthright. But I love love love Rebirth but it hasn't had a definitive arc yet. Also I love Peace on Earth

depending on the Zod I'd probably say him, but even in the comics his characterization changes like the wind. When done well, he is incredible. Loved both Stamp and Callum Blue's versions.

probably the Challenge of the Superfriends because that's where my love of comics started

I'd like to see a Kingdom Come inspired with Superman as the idealistic picture of perfection and justice at odds with more modern jaded antihero justice and the fallout of public perception between the two. It needs to be a grander scale and come to a head, not resolve like the BvS conflict

I think it's interesting that so many people see Kingdom Come as a Superman story; just because it has such a large cast, almost the entire mainstream DC universe. I do agree that Superman is the main character though, it really is about his internal and external struggles to maintain his morality in a changing world.

Interestingly Red Son, which is undeniably a Superman story, has Superman as the villain.

Personally, I feel like while Kingdom Come has Superman as its lead, it's not really a Superman story - which is why I have to go with All-Star Superman, which isn't just a Superman story, but probably the ultimate Superman story - filled with all the elements that make him great.

1. Who is your favorite Superman?

Henry Cavill . I've been waiting for this guy for 50 years

2. Who is your favorite Clark Kent?

This is tough but I'll go with Chris Reeve

3. What is your favorite Superman movie?

MOS

4. What is your favorite Superman TV show?

Its Superman TAS but since that's another category also. I don't actually have much live action. I guess Smallville but its a low bar.

Not a fan of any of them except Erica Durance and Amy Adams. Adams nudges to the lead

6. Who is your favorite live action Lex Luthor?

Michael Rosenbaum although even he is as nothing to Clancy brown's animated Luthor

7. What is your favorite Superman comic story?

Fifty years of watching reading Superman and I still can't name a favorite.

8. Who is your favorite Superman villain?

Darkseid. He's my favorite Supervillain period

9. What is your favorite Superman animated series or movie?

Superman the Animated Series, it IS perfect. The Timmverse should be the official verse IMO.

I really don't have anything here either. I'd like to see Superman loved and it have heart and action and not be pompous. I'd love an arc of films where Darkseid is behind it all leading to a final confrontation but if this was done with the Justice league I'd be just as happy. I'm pretty euphoric most for the age of Superhero movies we're in.

Last edited:
1. Who is your favourite Superman? Christopher Reeve

2. Who is your favourite Clark Kent? Christopher Reeve

3. What is your favourite Superman movie? Superman 2

4. What is your favourite Superman TV show? Superman: The Animated Series

5. Who is your favourite live action Lois Lane? Margot Kidder

6. Who is your favourite live action Lex Luthor? Gene Hackman

7. What is your favourite Superman comic story? Kingdom Come

8. Who is your favourite Superman villain? Lex Luthor

9. What is your favourite Superman animated series or movie? Superman: The Animated Series

Superman vs. Brainiac throwdown that goes from Earth into Space.

I think it's interesting that so many people see Kingdom Come as a Superman story; just because it has such a large cast, almost the entire mainstream DC universe. I do agree that Superman is the main character though, it really is about his internal and external struggles to maintain his morality in a changing world.

Interestingly Red Son, which is undeniably a Superman story, has Superman as the villain.

Personally, I feel like while Kingdom Come has Superman as its lead, it's not really a Superman story - which is why I have to go with All-Star Superman, which isn't just a Superman story, but probably the ultimate Superman story - filled with all the elements that make him great.

I get what you're saying, and I almost disqualified it from my list for the same reasons. But I felt Superman embodied the themes of classic hope and goodness that Ross was clearly advocating for and he is the main character so I went with it. I have always found it fascinating that Shazam ultimately is the ace in the hole villain of the story inasmuch as Billy Batson grows up and no longer has his youthful innocence.

I am curious of those who name her. What do you feel makes Kidder the best Lois?

1) Reeve by default. It would be Tyler Hoechlin if he were given more time to portray the character.

2) See above.

3) SII. It's not perfect, but I think it does a magnificent job of humanizing Superman.

4) Probably S:TAS. If we're talking live action, it would probably be L&C if I actually took the time to sit down and watch most of it. As it stands: SV is my live action answer.

5) I feel like it would be Hatcher, but again, haven't watched enough of L&C. I'll say it's a tie between Durance and Kidder.

6) Rosenbaum.

7) Birthright.

8) Lex.

9) Superman vs. The Elite.

10) MOS done right.

I am curious of those who name her. What do you feel makes Kidder the best Lois?

Now, I love Donner's Superman, BUT I have a major issue with Kidder's Lane and appreciate sorry I am not answering directly what you ask, it's just I feel so passionate about this point. She is an utter ***** to Clark and even on first meeting completely makes him look small in front of the office and it's telling that Clark's response sums his character so well when he replies 'Why would anyone make someone look so small or embarrasses them after just meeting them'.

She makes it abundantly clear she has no time for Clark but strings him along and only loves Superman, it completely negates their relationship and Clark as an identity of what and who he truly is.

Now, I love Donner's Superman, BUT I have a major issue with Kidder's Lane and appreciate sorry I am not answering directly what you ask, it's just I feel so passionate about this point. She is an utter ***** to Clark and even on first meeting completely makes him look small in front of the office and it's telling that Clark's response sums his character so well when he replies 'Why would anyone make someone look so small or embarrasses them after just meeting them'.

She makes it abundantly clear she has no time for Clark but strings him along and only loves Superman, it completely negates their relationship and Clark as an identity of what and who he truly is.

I disagree with that, her and Clark were friends. She even tries to help him, its Bosworth's Lois in SR that is dismissive of him.

I disagree with that, her and Clark were friends. She even tries to help him, its Bosworth's Lois in SR that is dismissive of him.

You don't 'help' friends by picking apart their perceived faults, making them look like simpletons and banging on about how good Superman is in comparison to you as an individual in a compare and contrast statement. Bosworth's Lois was just **** in every way.

You don't 'help' friends by picking apart their perceived faults, making them look like simpletons and banging on about how good Superman is in comparison to you as an individual in a compare and contrast statement. Bosworth's Lois was just **** in every way.

What she does is she tries to help him "tells him to stand up straight"
etc. Sure it might not be perceived as the right thing to do but she's trying to help him. She has a lot of nice moments with Clark, she actually cares about him.

What she does is she tries to help him "tells him to stand up straight"
etc. Sure it might not be perceived as the right thing to do but she's trying to help him. She has a lot of nice moments with Clark, she actually cares about him.

One could argue it's a 'cruel to be kind' level of helping but sorry mate, I know we agree on so much in CBM-verse and with Supes in particular and I respect you hugely, but no one will convince me she's a nice interpretation of Lois Lane, for real affection, support, belief in your partner love, see Adam's Lois Lane, that's being the Lois of 'independent, spunky, career-driven' which she is coupled with a) the acknowledgement of Clark's being as a separate entity and not judging him, comparing him or reminding him and b) loving Clark and seeing Clark as the 'real' Superman in all that he faces.

Sorry but I agree Kidder's Lois was the biggest bit-- of the bunch. There is absolutely no reason either Superman or Clark should spin the earth backwards for that woman.
I sympathized with Lois in SR she wasn't jumping for joy at seeing either Superman or Clark and I feel she was the only one who showed acceptable caution towards a man who was supposed to be her friend yet left for 5yrs and only sent postcards.

Sorry but I agree Kidder's Lois was the biggest bit-- of the bunch. There is absolutely no reason either Superman or Clark should spin the earth backwards for that woman.
I sympathized with Lois in SR she wasn't jumping for joy at seeing either Superman or Clark and I feel she was the only one who showed acceptable caution towards a man who was supposed to be her friend yet left for 5yrs and only sent postcards.

That characterisation in SR to a certain degree is the 'shoe on the other foot', there is NO WAY Clark would ever leave Lois for 5 years without contact and NO WAY Superman would leave the earth at risk for 5 years.

Hope I didn't hijack things with the question but I like the discussion and I'm pretty interested in people's thoughts on Kidder. Rewatching the movies again for the first time in probably 30 years, I'd say I can see where both of you have a point. I think Kidders Lois was trying to be friends with Clark but was a pretty crummy friend. As a kid I hated her. Now I just want to ask Clark what he sees in her. But she shows some tenderness in places which redeems the character to a point. I think both Kidders Lois and Reeves Superman/Clark are very nuanced portrayals. My biggest beef with Kidder is that her Lois lacked some class mostly from a superficial standpoint both inher dress, her speech and speech pattern and the gravelly voice. Any other Lois would shock you to see her lighting up, but how Kidder portrayed Lois it wasn't surprising at all. I may be superficial about it but I just didn't like her look or the way she carried herself. Which is surprising given the fact that Kidder was pretty hot in Amityville Horror.

It's been about 2 years since I watched the old movies, but I don't remember Kidder's Lois coming off as especially *****y.

I watched both STM and S2 recently, and she really isn't like that. Yeah, she clearly prefers Superman to Clark in terms of romance (Which is the original conception of the character to begin with), but it's also clear that she genuinely likes Clark and wants what's best for him.

I get what you're saying, and I almost disqualified it from my list for the same reasons. But I felt Superman embodied the themes of classic hope and goodness that Ross was clearly advocating for and he is the main character so I went with it. I have always found it fascinating that Shazam ultimately is the ace in the hole villain of the story inasmuch as Billy Batson grows up and no longer has his youthful innocence.

Dude, totally respect the choice. I mean, Superman is the main character as the action revolves around him and his decisions, and the ultimate decision is his. Also, Kingdom Come as one of my all time favorite DC universe stories - I rank it on a par with Crisis on Infinite Earths (the best-ever reboot, and probably the only one that really worked).

What I find quite amazing about Kingdom Come is that in it Superman manages to be quite a dark, and utterly serious, brooding character yet is incredibly compelling, surely one of the best interpretations of Superman.

Now that's something that Man of Steel and Batman v Superman couldn't achieve, sure they featured a very serious Superman, but in Man of Steel he's moderately compelling and in B v S he's downright dull.

How Kingdom Come achieves this, I think, is that it focuses on Superman's essential goodness - sure he makes bad decisions and has moments of confusion, but the essentially moral character always comes through - something which Snyder didn't give enough attention to in the films.

Whether KC is really a Superman story or not doesn't diminish the brilliant portrayal - with Alex Ross' art giving Supes such nuanced expressions and depth, that certainly added enormous weight to Waid's story and dialogue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"