TENET

Seems like he had a good experience with Paramount on Interstellar. I imagine they’ll embrace him with open arms.

Here’s the part where I dream and say it would be really cool if he and Chris McQuarrie worked together on a project. Nolan directing some high-concept McQuarrie script or just co-writing his next concept with McQuarrie...

upload_2021-1-22_16-31-14.gif

I feel like the most he'd do is maybe write something for them or Fox or whatever if asked.

Can't Syncopy stands on its own legs? They really have to partner with a big studio?

I mean, with all its success, they sure have a solid position in Hollywood.

Can't Syncopy stands on its own legs? They really have to partner with a big studio?

I mean, with all its success, they sure have a solid position in Hollywood.
They are not a major distribution company so Nolan does need a big studio's help with that. Also, with Nolan's movies oftentimes being budgeted at 200+ million dollars, I doubt Syncopy could afford to singlehandedly produce his high concept projects.

I think that a bit arrogant of Nolan to be honest. Sure their streaming plans are questionable at best but I find it hard to believe any other studio would have released TENET during a pandemic like Warner Brothers did.

I think there's a good chance that WB, or rather AT&T, are looking towards the future and think that there will be more revenue in streaming. With a ton of subscribers you can have the profits of a huge blockbuster come in every month, although you of course also need to produce a lot of content. I think that's how Nolan sees it and wants to go where cinema is still a focus. Well that, and that WB clearly went behind the backs of filmmakers and partners, which doesn't look very trustworthy.

Granted the course that I'm guessing that WB is taking isn't going very well at all though. HBO Max is trailing behind and didn't get nearly as much boost from WW82 as I think they hoped (only half of what Soul did for D+) so even if they are having this plan I guess they could eventually abandon it (at least temporarily) due to it not being successful enough.

I don't think Disney really needs him. They're making money with Star Wars and comic book movies now. Neither is interesting to Nolan.

I mean the fact of the matter is that Nolan may simply feel that WB is no longer the same studio he enjoyed a fruitful 20 year collaboration with under the leadership of AT&T. The way they handled the HBO Max thing probably felt like a fundamental breach of trust for Nolan. If they're willing to do it to all those filmmakers, who's to say they wouldn't do it to him in the future?

He has every right if he'd prefer to work with a studio that is more openly committed to championing the exclusive theatrical run part of the distribution chain.

It's sad, but they were under no contractual obligation to each other. It was a relationship built on mutual trust, and I think for Nolan the HBO Max ordeal was a breach of that trust even though it didn't impact him directly. Then there's the rumors that Nolan would've been willing to delay Tenet until 2021 but the studio was adamant on 2020. It's unfortunate, but I'm not surprised.

"I think this is the end of a beautiful friendship."

Last edited:
Well if this is Nolan’s last movie with WB, it’s one that gets better with repeat viewings that’s for sure. Everything between Neil and the Protagonist is just gold, and I would love to see a sequel where TP
Tries to go back and save Neil’s life
, as that’s what he seemed to be hinting at during their last conversation.

The finale still perplexes me a little but overall I understand things much more now and really enjoy the movie, it’s definitely one I will like watching every now again as the whole thing is a really interesting twist on time travel for me.

Finally sitting through it, almost an hour away from the end, and I went through the circular motion of

4FyQxLc.gif

TQLtIb3.gif

And the second inner monologue box in this

D83OyvF.jpg

Haha some of those comments are great. I really enjoyed Tenet the first time I saw it and I followed it pretty well but there were a few things towards the end that left me confused. But watching it a second time cleared everything up. Weed also helps, lol.

Yeah, Paramount seems like a good bet due to the prior working relationship established on Interstellar.

Kind of sad about that. It's the end of an era.

"I think this is the end of a beautiful friendship."

It's sad. Nolan and WB always just seemed like a perfect match. I think it's more WB's loss in the long run though. Trying to maintain a relationship as the "filmmaker's studio" while making the move they did and subsequently upsetting a lot of their top filmmakers, including Nolan, was always going to be a risky proposition.

Unfortunately I think that's also a byproduct of living in an era where IPs are probably more valued by studios than actual filmmakers.

This is all rumors, isn't it? If it's true though, WB bent over backwards to cater to Nolan by releasing his movie during a pandemic. That didn't happen to any other filmmaker on a movie that scale last summer. I get the HBOMax move pissing him off, but for God's sake I think Nolan would come out okay out of all of that still. It's not like how his movies getting made or how they'll be released will change. If Nolan asked, they would do it again for him. They will do anything for him. If he's seriously considering moving over that, he's being a bit of a drama queen.

My issue with this movie is that while the concept is interesting, it doesn’t make for very good storytelling. Inception had a sci-fi angle: implanting dreams. But it kept it a straightforward movie disguised as a reverse heist.

We’ve all seen enough time travel movies that we come into this with our own ideas of certain “rules”. Why do certain objects look like they go back in time but not others? Why does no one seem to notice people walking backwards after they go back in time? So the second time we to back to the Oslo airport, there are now three protagonists running around? One that went backwards, then got sent forward, and the original?

Last edited:
This is all rumors, isn't it? If it's true though, WB bent over backwards to cater to Nolan by releasing his movie during a pandemic. That didn't happen to any other filmmaker on a movie that scale last summer. I get the HBOMax move pissing him off, but for God's sake I think Nolan would come out okay out of all of that still. It's not like how his movies getting made or how they'll be released will change. If Nolan asked, they would do it again for him. They will do anything for him. If he's seriously considering moving over that, he's being a bit of a drama queen.

He'll be okay no matter what, but I understand the decision if that's the case. I think he would probably see it as a violation of trust thing. The fact that they made the move unilaterally without discussing it with the filmmakers' whose films they were using to promote the launch of HBO Max. If they're willing to do this once with 0 warning, who's to say they couldn't do it again? That sort of thing. I think it has absolutely nothing to do with how he feels treated personally (they treated him well and he's acknowledged that he/Tenet wasn't impacted by the HBO Max thing) and everything to do with the type of studio he wants to do business with moving forward. I also think a lot of all of that has to do with AT&T and new leadership calling the shots.

Not to mention, there are other factors that we may not be aware of. For instance, I did see some rumors that Nolan actually wanted to push the release to 2021, but WB was the one that made it an issue of "this year or straight to streaming", resulting in a less-than-ideal theatrical release. If that is indeed true, I could see that being an additional source of frustration.

I see a lot of people acting like just because they released the movie in 2020 that Nolan owes the studio something and should just fall back in line. Ehh. I mean, if he doesn't have confidence in the new leadership at the studio, feels he has a better offer/opportunity elsewhere and feels ready to move on, that's how careers go. And it doesn't negate the fact that the way they handled the HBO Max rollout was very sketchy and broke a trust with the filmmakers, which Nolan was the most, but certainly not the only one outspoken about.

I say all this hoping things work out, because overall I'm a fan of WB as a studio-- their body of work, and Nolan's place in that. But I think both parties will be fine if this is indeed the end of the line. It was a great run.

Last edited:
So the second time we to back to the Oslo airport, there are now three protagonists running around? One that went backwards, then got sent forward, and the original?
Yes. The original forward-moving protagonist, the backwards-moving one (who is trying to save Kat) and the backwards-moving one when he reverts back to forward time (this is the one who original forward-moving Robert Pattinson chases till he takes off the mask and sees who it is) so he can alert backward-Pattinson to take backward-Kat through the turnstile while he gets the (forward-moving) van.

I still can't abide this movie's terrible, gunky sound mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"