The 2011 Canadian Federal Election

Alex The Great

Avenger
Reaction score
Another election! Hooray! :dry:

Anyways, discuss the election here

And yes, I made a thread for it. The Trump thread was getting off topic :o

That's cool...

I don't see Harper getting a majority here, no matter what the polls say. On a seat-by-seat basis, I don't see where the extra Conservative seats are going to come from.

Still, Ignatieff has been a disappointment. There is but one politician right now who can perhaps lead his party to a majority government, but it is none of the current party leaders.

Great, taxpayers will once again be footing the bill for their right to vote.

The election in 2000 cost $200.6 million.

Well done Canada. We just gave a majority to a party that was in contempt of Parliament. No government of all 54 Commonwealth nations has ever been found in contempt of Parliament except the one that's being re-elected tonight. Geniuses abound.

Man, NDP gained a lot tonight!

Ah well, Harper has done a decent-ish job with the economic recovery. Though it will be interesting to see what he does now with the Majority.

I'm more pissed that I didn't watch any Hockey today and that during the Wedding Reception on Saturday I drunkenly flirted with a 14 Year Old :csad:

The BQ was destroyed. I'm no Harper fan, but I'll take that as a victory.

Harper hasn't even spoken yet but panhandlers downtown have started giving their change to rich people.

I don't see Harper getting a majority here, no matter what the polls say. On a seat-by-seat basis, I don't see where the extra Conservative seats are going to come from.

Still, Ignatieff has been a disappointment. There is but one politician right now who can perhaps lead his party to a majority government, but it is none of the current party leaders.
The second part of your post disproved the first part of your post haha. Seriously I knew it was between NDP and Conservative; I'm happy for two reasons:

1. NDP has grown to be the official opposition
2. We now have a majority government

Canada is more or less at stalemate during minority governments so at least this way we know **** will get done.

The second part of your post disproved the first part of your post haha. Seriously I knew it was between NDP and Conservative; I'm happy for two reasons:

1. NDP has grown to be the official opposition
2. We now have a majority government

Canada is more or less at stalemate during minority governments so at least this way we know **** will get done.

Give me credit for not retroactively editing my post. ;)

I had no idea the Fiberals would implode like this. Wow.

So if Harper gets a majority after contempt of Parliament, what do I get for contempt of Harper?

So if Harper gets a majority after contempt of Parliament, what do I get for contempt of Harper?

In fairness, the Liberals did a lot worse in power. The contempt finding was more a function of numbers than wrongdoing.

Harper does have a majority he doesn't deserve, but I think the power he has will necessarily be excercised in moderation. He owes his victory to the blue wave in Ontario, and a huge opposition front in Quebec. He can't go Sarah Palin on us with those checks in place.

While I am certainly not gonna act like an expert of Canadian politics but whose stupid idea was it to pass a Contempt of Parliament for no real reason against a leadership that has been seen as competent in leadership in regards to Canada's economy?

While I am certainly not gonna act like an expert of Canadian politics but whose stupid idea was it to pass a Contempt of Parliament for no real reason against a leadership that has been seen as competent in leadership in regards to Canada's economy?

A Commons committee. They say the government is in contempt for refusing to disclose enough information about the cost of it's law-and-order agenda, corporate tax cuts and the plan to buy stealth combat jets, with all the opposition MPs on the committee voting to condemn the government for withholding requested documents without giving adequate reasons why.

And to what are you comparing this? :huh:

Given the strong Canadian Dollar, among other things, I would say Harper hasn't done too bad. I'm sure there are things he's screwed up on but hey, we are doing better than our buddies to the south so....

I don't think he's done bad, but I don't think it's fair to say he's the most competent Canadian leader in terms of the economy... the last PM before him was Martin...

And to what are you comparing this? :huh:

The strength of the Canadian dollar, low unemployment in comparison to Europe and the United States, Canada's financial system not melting down, Canada not being utterly crippled by debt the way the United States and Europe are, etc.

I'm not saying that he's the most competent leader out there or anything, but when you successfully manage to keep your country on it's own two feet during some of the harshest economic times out there in decades, you're going to be rewarded for it by the voters.

Parliament did has a whole, but the Liberals held the balance of power and ultimately they were the ones who decided to defeat the budget, likely because propping up the government made them look weak. However it didn't work for them, because the other major left wing party in Canada, the New democrat Party, came in and took their support and most of their seats. So the Conservatives gained a majority of seats in Parliament, the NDP became the new official opposition party, leaving the Liberals in a bad spot, with way fewer seats and being only the third most powerful party in Canada. It be like the Democrats losing to the Republicans , badly and then the Green Party getting more seats in Congress then them as well.

I'm glad that the Bloc got a sound beating :up:

Yeah those guys sucked. I am glad to see them mostly gone. Canada is a little too nice sometimes, I haven't heard of many other countries that allow a party that has as its goal to split apart the country, have seats in their legislature. But I think, even in Quebec, they are sick of the BQ's tired old separatist arguments and wanted to vote for a party that focused on more immediate concerns. Heck besides the BQ being a separatist party and the NDP being a federalist party, they have the same platform, it just makes more sense to vote for a party with a more national reach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"