The 2012 CNN/Western Republican Presidential Debate

I'm not concerned with political experience. Having political experience obviously doesn't translate into being a good politician. I would rather have someone with good idea and that can get things done over someone who has been in politics for a long time.

:facepalm:

I didn't watch the debate and have no idea what happened, but in general isn't it good strategy for the guy in third place (Perry) to attack the guy in first (Romney)? Perry's only way of getting the nomination is to make Romney look as bad as possible hope Cain implodes so all the Tea Partiers rally around Texan swagger.

With that said, I'm sure it was inept and fumbling attacks given the previous weeks.

Perry definitely improved in this debate. He didn't come off as tired and fumbly like he did at the other debates and he didn't shy away like he did in the last debate.

What really dragged him down this debate is that he attacked Romney. Now typically, you're exactly right. Someone in Perry's position should attack someone in Romney's position. It's good strategy. The problem is that every time Perry goes to attack Romney, Romney brutally and savagely takes him down. The crowd ended up booing Perry.

Ok, who won? I couldnt find nothing earlier. Let's just all assume Romney in 1st and Paul in the middle as usual :(

Romney cleaned Perry's clock during that debate.

From best to worst

Romney
Paul
Santorum -- content-wise better than expected, but his attitude is really grating
Cain - he didn't really have many winning points this time around
Gingrich although he wasn't really debating
Bachmann and Perry tied for bottom

Personally if I had to rank the candidates:

1. Mitt Romney - Romney's biggest problem is that he has often come off as an emotionless robot. Santorum and Perry going after Romney and pissing him off brings Romney a bit more down to Earth and a bit more human. The crowd also loved Romney in this debate. Despite Governor Brian Sandoval endorsing Perry, it seems like Romney has Nevada in the bag.

2. Newt Gingrich - While he's not really debating, he's doing a very effective job in re-establishing his position in the modern day Republican Party as a sagely conciliator. Which is what I really think he's trying to do first and foremost.

3. Rick Perry - Perry was savagely taken down by Romney but he was able to overcome his other problems by being more energetic and fiesty.

4. Ron Paul - Ron Paul would typically rank higher, but the mediators just don't give him any time.

5. Herman Cain - He was unable to defend his 9-9-9 plan from Romney, Perry, and Bachmann.

6. Michelle Bachmann - Unable to say anything of substance.

7. Rick Santorum - Kindergarten tactics don't work dude :o

I cannot stand Romney's attitude or overall "smarmy-ness".

I also read that 84 percent of people would pay MORE taxes under Cain's 9-9-9 pizza deal tax plan.

I also read that 84 percent of people would pay MORE taxes under Cain's 9-9-9 pizza deal tax plan.

I LOVE it when Romney stands like a robot looking at Paul when he talks, or when anybody else talks. I even like the look on his face. He all like a mix of :dry::yay:.

Personality wise non of the Republican Candidates are very dynamic and I can see why support seems to be flip flopping week by week. Romney's problem is that he does come off like a smug phoney , and even if he's the best candidate it's not like you'd really wanna go to the mat for him.Now I didn't like W, but he at least was likeable and even if you disagreed with him you could still like him personally. Romney doesn't have that imo.

EDIT: sorry wrong republican thread

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"