The Acolyte from Leslye Headland

I was curious and checked to see the same thing happened to the Rings of Power trailer. But when the show premiered it had a much better reception. I foresee something similar happening here.

My guess? It was probably somewhat manipulated by bots like ROP was. RT has found a way to stop that, but I don’t think Youtube has.

The reaction to Rings of Power (and the lead-up to it) was easily one of the most toxic I've ever seen. Heck, I'd say it was worse than Star Wars.

The Rings of Power is probably not the best example. Sure it had received lots of hate from people for similar reasons, but it wasn't a good show either and its final reception was mixed at best. The Acolyte looks miles better and I really hope it is.

From the looks of it, the same far right groups are targeting Acolyte for the same bigoted reasons. That’s why it wouldn’t surprise me, it’d par the course for them to review bomb as they’re known for doing it on both YouTube and Rotten Tomatoes.

There’s probably other examples where it’s happened, but Rings of Power came to mind the fastest of one instance where it did.

Adding: Little Mermaid too recently. It’s what usually happens to films or shows that certain groups target for being “woke.” it Just seems suspect and like it’s partly bots.

Last edited:
From the looks of it, the same far right groups are targeting Acolyte for the same bigoted reasons. That’s why it wouldn’t surprise me, it’d par the course for them to review bomb as they’re known for doing it on both YouTube and Rotten Tomatoes.

There’s probably other examples where it’s happened, but Rings of Power came to mind the fastest of one instance where it did.
I understand the comparison but my point is The Rings of Power dislike went further than some far right groups or even just Tolkien purists. There were numerous problems with the show's quality and some of them were apparent from the trailers. I don't know anyone in real life that legitimately liked that mediocrity. The Acolyte on the other hand looks pretty promising for the time being.

I understand the comparison but my point is The Rings of Power dislike went further than some far right groups or even just Tolkien purists. There were numerous problems with the show's quality and some of them were apparent from the trailers. I don't know anyone in real life that legitimately liked that mediocrity. The Acolyte on the other hand looks pretty promising for the time being.

I liked it, but to each their own. I also read the novels leading into it, thus might be on part biased.

Just as said - it seems suspect when it happens to most films and shows that are deemed “woke” by certain portions of the Internet. Due to that, it feels more skewed than actual results (which is because typically the shows or films targeted perform better than the YT or RT percentages which those stats can’t be impacted by bots).

Last edited:
TLJ is when the anti-woke crowd really latched themselves onto Star Wars. They, of course, tried to do it with The Force Awakens but the vast majority loved that film. However, TLJ really did irreparable damage to the franchise and the fandom. Long-time hardcore fans felt betrayed by what was done to Luke and how everything set up in TFA was completely undone in TLJ. What helped the anti-woke crowd take over the discourse was the fact that TLJ also featured several new prominent female characters that were written to be kind of preachy (anti-woke people hate women with opinions) and suddenly these chuds had an enemy to blame. Diverse characters in-universe and female creatives in the real world ("The force is female" still lives rent-free in these people's heads). Basically, they used the frustration of fans to further their hateful agenda (sadly, they've managed to convince a lot of fans that what really ruined Star Wars was wokeness as opposed to a very questionable script by a white male filmmaker). It's been like that ever since.

I liked it, but to each their own. I also read the novels leading into it, thus might be on part biased.

Just as said - it seems suspect when it happens to most films and shows that are deemed “woke” by certain portions of the Internet. Due to that, it feels more skewed than actual results (which is because typically the shows or films targeted perform better than the YT or RT percentages which those stats can’t be impacted by bots).
You liking it and me disliking it is mostly a matter of personal taste but the fact is the show had a 37% completion rate which is abysmal and therefore showcases that the vast majority of the people who watched it didn't care enough to finish it. So again, I get the point and I agree in other instances, but this doesn't seem like an example of a project getting hate just from a specific group of people. The vox populi seems very meh to it.

Anyway I don't want to get too off topic. The Acolyte may or may not suck but it obviously won't have anything to do with genders and races. If it's bad it will be because of Disney. :o

TLJ is when the anti-woke crowd really latched themselves onto Star Wars. They, of course, tried to do it with The Force Awakens but the vast majority loved that film. However, TLJ really did irreparable damage to the franchise and the fandom. Long-time hardcore fans felt betrayed by what was done to Luke and how everything set up in TFA was completely undone in TLJ. What helped the anti-woke crowd take over the discourse was the fact that TLJ also featured several new prominent female characters that were written to be kind of preachy (anti-woke people hate women with opinions) and suddenly these chuds had an enemy to blame. Diverse characters in-universe and female creatives in the real world ("The force is female" still lives rent-free in these people's heads). Basically, they used the frustration of fans to further their hateful agenda (sadly, they've managed to convince a lot of fans that what really ruined Star Wars was wokeness as opposed to a very questionable script by a white male filmmaker). It's been like that ever since.

A lot, but I doubt the majority.

Just those who say "woke" are the loudest people in a room.

NBC did a poll that showed most people view the term “woke” as a good thing; probably in part due to conservatives labeling anything diverse as “woke” thereby making the two almost synonyms.

While people’s perception of Star Wars has declined in recent years, for most people I think - like Marvel - it’s due to as Bob Iger said having placed emphasis on quantity over quality. With Iger recognizing that, I hope the house of Mouse becomes less like a factory churning out products and returns back to giving content adequate development time again.

Last edited:
Out of morbid curiosity I just checked out the trailer reaction to this from Geeks + Gamers and wow. The second the trailer is over they launch into a rant about it not having any white males and how the cast is diverse. It really must be tiring being so fragile all the time. You're not focusing on anything other than how you think a piece of media is supposedly discriminating against you.

That's predictable but also really unfortunate. I'm a white man, but I can't say that I would've had a single thought about the racial makeup of the show while watching the trailer. 40 years ago nearly every character of importance in Star Wars was a white man, it's incredibly lame that to these people that's the only thing Star Wars still could be. But then again a huge portion of people commenting about this aren't even Star Wars fans, they're vulturous bigots looking for a chance to latch onto any project that endangers their limited worldview. I've had my issues with a good portion of Disney Star Wars projects, from The Rise of Skywalker to the Filonisation of The Mandalorian, but those issues have nothing to do with female and minority characters, never have. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous and quite pathetic.

acolyte-black-series-feat.jpg

Is that Dafne Keen Fernández character on the right?

Jecki Lon?
STAR-WARS-THE-BLACK-SERIES-PADAWAN-JECKI-LON-3.jpg

Yeah, I liked it too, as did everyone I knew who watched it. The show had some pacing and story issues for sure, but it didn’t take a genius to see that a huge amount of the backlash was from incels and racists. The “Tolkien Gatekeepers” on YouTube are some of the most vile people on the internet. I’m a diehard LOTR fan and those pieces of human garbage have pretty much ruined the series for me. I’ll watch the second season when it comes out, but I don’t want to engage with the Tolkien fanbase online ever again. I used to think Star Wars had the most toxic fanbase but LOTR tops it.

Yeah, I liked it too, as did everyone I knew who watched it. The show had some pacing and story issues for sure, but it didn’t take a genius to see that a huge amount of the backlash was from incels and racists. The “Tolkien Gatekeepers” on YouTube are some of the most vile people on the internet. I’m a diehard LOTR fan and those pieces of human garbage have pretty much ruined the series for me. I’ll watch the second season when it comes out, but I don’t want to engage with the Tolkien fanbase online ever again. I used to think Star Wars had the most toxic fanbase but LOTR tops it.

I was honestly shocked at the level or racism. You had people going "Racist and proud" like they were some sort of bigoted version of Mystique. Really demonstrated that any fanbase can seem normal until women and black people get introduced into the IP and then all hell breaks loose. I guess I should have expected it. If progressive properties like the X-Men, Star Trek and Star Wars have horribly racist and sexist fans then the fanbase for an all-white, all-male fantasy world is bound to be worse.

I was honestly shocked at the level or racism. You had people going "Racist and proud" like they were some sort of bigoted version of Mystique. Really demonstrated that any fanbase can seem normal until women and black people get introduced into the IP and then all hell breaks loose. I guess I should have expected it. If progressive properties like the X-Men, Star Trek and Star Wars have horribly racist and sexist fans then the fanbase for an all-white, all-male fantasy world is bound to be worse.

Jesus. I thought I had seen the worst of it but even I hadn’t seen the “racist and proud” posts. Talk about human garbage. What I remember most distinctly was scrolling through YouTube and seeing videos where they would trash the show and you could immediately tell which ones were racist, sexist trash because the preview images would feature photoshopped pictures of the Black actress who played the Dwarf character, making her look like some demon with red eyes and blood coming out of her mouth. Like, if you think the show sucks, fine. But it’s pretty obvious what you’re doing when you single out the most prominent Black member of the cast and try to make her looks like a monster with Photoshop. Disgusting. I saw a few A-holes do the same thing to the actress who plays Echo when that show came out.

Jesus. I thought I had seen the worst of it but even I hadn’t seen the “racist and proud” posts. Talk about human garbage. What I remember most distinctly was scrolling through YouTube and seeing videos where they would trash the show and you could immediately tell which ones were racist, sexist trash because the preview images would feature photoshopped pictures of the Black actress who played the Dwarf character, making her look like some demon with red eyes and blood coming out of her mouth. Like, if you think the show sucks, fine. But it’s pretty obvious what you’re doing when you single out the most prominent Black member of the cast and try to make her looks like a monster with Photoshop. Disgusting. I saw a few A-holes do the same thing to the actress who plays Echo when that show came out.

The main LOTR subreddit was full of those people. It was so bad that at one point the mods seemed to give up entirely.

Awful. I know Tolkien wasn’t perfect but I have to believe he would have been disgusted with these people.

If I remember correctly, the recent Tolkien biopic showed that he believed in treating everyone with respect and dignity. That is to say came off as a progressive Christian. Just remember something like that standing out to me.

If I remember correctly, the recent Tolkien biopic showed that he believed in treating everyone with respect and dignity. That is to say came off as a progressive Christian. Just remember something like that standing out to me.

I have to watch that movie. I know it got a mixed reception but I love Nicholas Hoult and Tolkien, so I’m sure it’s worth giving a shot.

Awful. I know Tolkien wasn’t perfect but I have to believe he would have been disgusted with these people.

I think one needs only to read his novels to know he was completely against any of this behavior.

Which makes me question how you could claim to be a fan of Lord of the Rings and not actually understand any of it. I mean, respect and love for those different than you is a pretty heavy theme running through all of Tolkien lol

It turned into a hate cult, completely unhinged. Those people were spamming hate comments under anything the cast would post online, or even Tolkien fans who were positive about the show. The actress you mentioned, Sophia Nomvete, did get the worst of it and I felt bad about it. Not only because the hate was so vicious and uncalled for, but also because she ended up being one of the best things about the show, the heart of it to be precise. I truly hope a good portion of those people have moved on to other things, this sort of "fandom" is entirely unhealthy and a terrible consequence of online anonymity.

I think one needs only to read his novels to know he was completely against any of this behavior.

Which makes me question how you could claim to be a fan of Lord of the Rings and not actually understand any of it. I mean, respect and love for those different than you is a pretty heavy theme running through all of Tolkien lol

Same way they claim to own Norse mythology. They view as property of "white culture". The latch onto Tolkien saying it was for mythology for england, so it MUST be white. And let me tell you, claiming Norse mythology while being as hateful over lqbtq content is a REAL head scratcher.

It turned into a hate cult, completely unhinged. Those people were spamming hate comments under anything the cast would post online, or even Tolkien fans who were positive about the show. The actress you mentioned, Sophia Nomvete, did get the worst of it and I felt bad about it. Not only because the hate was so vicious and uncalled for, but also because she ended up being one of the best things about the show, the heart of it to be precise. I truly hope a good portion of those people have moved on to other things, this sort of "fandom" is entirely unhealthy and a terrible consequence of online anonymity.

Yeah, I forgot to mention, Sophia was absolutely one of the best parts of the show. I wish we got more of her and I hope she has an even bigger role in season 2. I also should have mentioned her by name; apologies that I didn’t. I was just trying to point out why they singled her out as the target of their vitriol. Anyway, I hope they have moved on, though if they did, I’m sure whatever they’re focused on now is being bombarded by their bigoted BS.

Same way they claim to own Norse mythology. They view as property of "white culture". The latch onto Tolkien saying it was for mythology for england, so it MUST be white. And let me tell you, claiming Norse mythology while being as hateful over lqbtq content is a REAL head scratcher.

I also heard recently that some of these idiots were angry about that new Alexander series on Netflix because it has scenes of him kissing a man. Because ya know, nothing was more heterosexual than Alexander and Ancient Greece. :funny:

It is nice to see the show put the High Republic's diversity from the books and comics and put it on screen. (Lack of Geode not withstanding)

Also why Eclipse needs to die in a fire

Anti-woke sexists that hold onto Norse mythology would have a hernia if a film about the Valkyrie were ever made.

Per Star Wars some of them oddly deem Star Wars to be “white culture” that others are appropriating. Whereas anyone who knows anything about Star Wars knows it stems from George’s love for samurai stories and films. Thus why I agree with Sam Witwer that Ghosts of Tsushima is akin to a “Jedi wish fulfillment” game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"