• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 6

From what I understood, it was Sony's top brass like Kaz Hirai, Amy Pascal, and Michael Lynton that botched the film to hell in the editing room, not Tolmach and Arad.

me neither. most people blame it on sony while others blame it on arad and tomach. i have no idea who messed up but they should just stop before they ruin the company and this franchise

I wouldn't even say that the international market saved it. If you look at the totals, in almost all international markets the Amazing Spider-Man 2 performed either on par or less than the first film. The only reason why the international box office is higher for the second film is because of the Chinese market which is experiencing massive expansion for all major American blockbusters. So it's not the international market that saved it, it was the Chinese market that saved it.
Yes you are correct of course, it was literally just one market really. Which you know should and obviously did worry Sony. I still don't get the Sinister Six thing but yeah that's apart of their "get things back on track" strategy apparently. I don't think it will succeed but good luck to them anyway.

Seriously, if Sinister Six and then ASM3 are decent movies, then I'll be happy and all is forgiven and I'll be the first to say I was wrong, but I really feel it's all downhill from here.

And now the Amazing Spider-Man 2 has fallen behind Dawn of the Planet of the Apes in the domestic chart.

i'm not surprised at all. if they had given us the original version audiances saw back at march then maybe they would've reached billions. i have no idea what possessed them to keep the audiance's mouth shut nor had any idea why they edit so much important scenes out. i thought they want to keep the company alive. i mean that is the reason why they exactly want to keep the rights right? so why keep pulling this crap. i mean fox is greedy and maybe greedy as sony but they still want to make the x-men great to keep the rights so sony should do the same

And now the Amazing Spider-Man 2 has fallen behind Dawn of the Planet of the Apes in the domestic chart.

Also it is I think 5th WW for the year so far but you still have the hobbit witch will make more and hunger games could make more and inistealler to. Also Gurdians is at like 420 million but considering that the movie has only been out for 3 weeks and still hasn't came out in china and japan I think it could end up making more WW then spidy to. I mean it only needs around what 285 million and with a big market like china and sever more weeks in America I don't think that is out of the question. Can the movie reach 300 USA? I think the movie is at around 250 or so.

Also it is I think 5th WW for the year so far but you still have the hobbit witch will make more and hunger games could make more and inistealler to. Also Gurdians is at like 420 million but considering that the movie has only been out for 3 weeks and still hasn't came out in china and japan I think it could end up making more WW then spidy to. I mean it only needs around what 285 million and with a big market like china and sever more weeks in America I don't think that is out of the question. Can the movie reach 300 USA? I think the movie is at around 250 or so.

It's frustratingly overwhelming how much better GotG is already doing than TASM2 did :csad:

Guardians of the Galaxy was just a huge breakout. It's one of those films that did way, way better than most dreamed it would, like Pirates of the Caribbean in 2003. I mean the film has a great shot at making 300mil here in the states! I think it's performance is probably a bigger shock than Iron Man's performance in 2008. It's just a ridiculously fascinating box office story. I still haven't seen it yet so I can't tell you if I think it deserves it's success.

The higest grossing film in North America coming out in August is just unthinkable really and it continues to show that traditional "great release dates" don't mean **** if people don't want to see your film. I say Bravo to Marvel on their mad success and hopefully Sony can get Spidey back on track.

Spidey, get on GOTG, it's the best Marvel film (yeah, slightly ahead for me than TWS!)

I finally saw this last night. So mixed about it. I loved certain aspects far more than the first TASM, but… the bad stuff was really, really bad for me. I'd probably rate this a 5.5/10 or 6/10 if I'm being really generous. The biggest negatives were the weird tonal shifts, editing that was so bad, my husband and I were asking whether certain things were shown and we missed them altogether as the movie was playing, and the OTT of the villains. I really wish that Harry Osborn had just been the focus on the villain side, with his relationship with Peter, his father, Gwen, Felicia… Electro and Kafka and Rhino were beyond bizarre.

Last comment I'll make on that - when a talking raccoon and tree come off as far less campy than Spidey's villains, something went wrong there.

I can see why this underperformed now, and I'm not surprised. The irony of it is, there was a truly great movie in there somewhere with Peter/Gwen/May/Harry with some great great great character moments and interactions. It's just that… everything else was so bizarre and kept me from fully enjoying the movie as even just a fun diversion. But I still liked it more than the first TASM.

I have no idea what Sony needs to do at this point to get Spidey back on track. My husband's given up on the franchise completely, :(.

There were 2 original cut for both films that wouldve made the movie better at keast on par with the avengers abd winter soldier and for some reason Sony decided to cut out every important stuff that would've made the movies better

I find that hard to believe unless they recast Rhino and Electro, did the villains properly, redid the soundtrack, brought in more Uncle Ben, less Capt Stacy, remove the parents plot, and made it a little less campy.

This movie wasn't missing a few scenes.

Yeah... I think the foundation of this movie was shaky to begin with. They could have smoothed over a few cracks with a new edit, but the movies fundamental problems can't be fixed.

iFeelGood.gif

Doesn't deserve to outgross Apes. Apes was ****ing awesome.

I find that hard to believe unless they recast Rhino and Electro, did the villains properly, redid the soundtrack, brought in more Uncle Ben, less Capt Stacy, remove the parents plot, and made it a little less campy.

This movie wasn't missing a few scenes.
Uncle ben was originally in the film and the rhino appeared at the end stating that he built the suit with the help of his friends which is why he needed the plutonium. The parents subplot was always expected in this movie. The movie while still problematic with the villains excluding Harry and goblin the original cut would still turn out fine

It depends on your definition of fine or marginally better, but something on a TWS or Avengers level? I didn't see an excellent movie hidden in there.

There were 2 original cut for both films that wouldve made the movie better at keast on par with the avengers abd winter soldier and for some reason Sony decided to cut out every important stuff that would've made the movies better
There's too much of a gap between this and Avengers/TWS for different cuts to get to "at least on par".

There's too much of a gap between this and Avengers/TWS for different cuts to get to "at least on par".
Exactly. If anything some parts of the original cuts like Peter's dad being left alive, were better left on the cutting room floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"