The Aquaman Casting & Discussion Thread

This is the tricky part of casting aquaman we first need to know which era/take on aquaman they are going to go with. Cause their is certain actors perfect for one take, while others are better for a different take of the character.

hawk younkins(maybe). im reaching cause ive never seen him in anything.

I suggested Kevin McKidd as Aquaman ages ago and today I find out he's playing Poseidon in the Percy Jackson & the Olympians movies...

I suggested Kevin McKidd as Aquaman ages ago and today I find out he's playing Poseidon in the Percy Jackson & the Olympians movies...

that makes me mad too. the whole time i was readin those books i pictured percy as someone black, in lightning theif he even referred to one of the kids he was fightin as "white boy" ive never heard anyone white call another a white boy.

^
The Eel: Doug Jones. Eel made a one time appearance but it was very memorable. He has telekinetic control over water and used it to almost kill aquaman by boiling, freezing, and actually trying to drown aquaman with the water inside his own body.
aquaman22.jpg

what issue is this from? Edit-never mind, I found it

Last edited:
that makes me mad too. the whole time i was readin those books i pictured percy as someone black, in lightning theif he even referred to one of the kids he was fightin as "white boy" ive never heard anyone white call another a white boy.

I never thought he was black. On the cover he's white. Hes always been white. He wasnt mad at him being cast as Poseidon, he just thought it was strange being that Poseidon is a water based character, as is Aquaman.

Aquaman - Gerard Butler (Looking for the characterization of Aquaman from Sub Diego and on. Classic Aquaman mixed with 90's Aquaman.)
Mera - Ellen Pompeo
Aqualad - Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Vulko - Brendan Gleeson
Black Manta - Michael Jai White
Ocean Master - Sean Bean
Arthur Curry, Sr. (Aquaman's lighthouse keeper) - Liam Neeson
Triton - Tony Curran
Poseidon - Bill Nighy
Atlan - not sure yet
The Eel - Doug Jones
The Fisherman (revamped Parasite version) - Adam Baldwin

I'd only want the lighthouse keeper to be in the movie for the sake of flashbacks. I wouldn't want this movie to be an origin movie. I'd much prefer them show his origin through flashbacks. That, or have the opening credits and starting scenes be his origin to get it out of the way. I'd want to go with the Modern Day origin which few people actually know. There is so much mythology and folklore to it, I think it is the best origin for the character and the best for the silver screen that adds so much more interest to Aquaman's realm.

And there are several plots they could go with, hence I casted more Aqua-characters than would most likely appear in one live action film.

Last edited:
interesting thoughts there. What is that origin you are talking about.

His Modern Day origin has a huge scope. To fully know his origin, you have to know the history of Atlantis. Essentially, his father is also his several thousand year old ancestor. :awesome::up:

Allow me to elaborate (sorry got a rush at work so couldn't sit down to type it up when you first asked):

Let me point out first that Atlantis was ruled by King Orin, and King Orin had a blonde haired brother named Shalako. Shalako had great jealousy towards his brother, while Orin was oblivious to his hatred. This started the Fate between all brothers of the throne: For all eternity two brothers will forever fight for the throne of Atlantis. This is important because it is what keeps Aquaman and Ocean Master (his half-brother Orm) in constant battle no matter what.

Atlantis article from the DC Comics Database said:
The Great Deluge (sometimes referred to as the Great Flood) was a geological catastrophe that occurred some 9,600 years ago.

A giant skull-shaped meteor from outer space crashed into the Earth somewhere near the North Sea. The impact was so tremendous that it caused worldwide geological upheaval. Tectonic plates shifted, yielding massive flooding so intense that it caused the entire continent of Atlantis to sink beneath the waves. Though nearly all of Atlantean culture had been wiped away forever, those of the capital city of Poseidonis managed to survive due to the erection of a giant dome that shielded the entire city. It was believed by some, that the destruction of Atlantis was the result of Suula - Goddess of the Sky -- who took offense to the creation of the dome that cut Poseidonis off from the skies above. These Atlanteans managed to eke out a life for themselves, though they could never again leave the safety of their city.

Some Atlanteans however, found an alternative in the priest-mage known as Shalako. Shalako used his magic to protect his followers from the crushing pressure of the ocean depths, and they migrated from Poseidonis and re-established a colony in the ruins of the sister-city Tritonis.

A few short years after the calamity, Atlantis' monarch, King Orin, had his scientists develop a means so that his people could survive underwater, without having to stay within the city. The experiment was a success and the serum transformed the Atlanteans from normal human beings into aquatic amphibians who could survive the ocean depths and draw oxygen from water to breathe.

Most regarded Orin as a strong and benevolent leader, but there were those, including his brother, Shalako, who felt that Orin's compassion made him a weak ruler. Orin was the first to put together the Atlantis Chronicles and assigned Albart-Son-of-Yarrow of Ancinor the task of maintaining a faithful history of their home country.

Due to the machinations of Shalako, the citizens of Tritonis evolved into a race of Mer-people. At first, the former Shalakites adapted to this mutation, until they discovered that the changes were being passed down to their children. The most severe example of this effect was the Atlantean prince, Kordax. Kordax was born a hideous, green-scaled mutant with blond hair and the ability to telepathically control the creatures of the sea. The existence of Kordax caused a schism throughout Atlantis as by right of ascension, he was the first-born heir to the throne. This conflict erupted into a massive war between Poseidonis and Tritonis.

Kordax ends up losing the war, and as punishment his hand is cut off, and he is banished from the city. Because of the destruction, death, and havoc Kordax caused the "Curse of Kordax" was born: a belief that any Atlantean born with blonde hair was deformed and be much like Kordax.

Time to speed things up a bit, k? So many many many years pass by, and the current King and Queen of Atlantis is King Trevor and Queen Atlanna (Aquaman's mom). They are unable to produce an heir because King Trevor is sterile (his sperm can't do the job). Well one of Queen Atlanna's ancestors was Prince Atlan who studies the Magicks of Atlantis and was immortal. She did not know it was him, but one night he appeared to her and seduced her (think of those Ancient Greek stories about Gods like Zeus appearing to women in different forms and seducing them and such). She so strongly wanted to provide an heir to please her husband that they got it on and the baby was born: Orin (Aquaman). But Orin was born with blonde hair and was marked with the Curse of Kordax and King Trevor himself ordered the baby to die on Mercy Reef. Knowing that the baby was not his, he committed suicide.

While he was abandoned on Mercy Reef, dolphins came to his aide, and raised him for his early years. In his teen years, realizing he was not a dolphin but in fact something else, he spots a lighthouse one day and grows curious about the surface world. He runs into the lighthouse keeper (originally named Tom but I believe recently they retconned his name to be Arthur) Arthur Curry. He teaches him English, and pretty much raises him the rest of his teen life; Orin adopts a human name as Arthur Curry, II.

Orin (New Earth) article from the DC Comics Database said:
One day Orin returned to the lighthouse and found Arthur gone, so he set off on his own. In his early teens, Orin ventured to the far north, where he met and fell in love with an Inupiat named Kako. He also first earned the hatred of Orm, the future Ocean Master, who would prove to be his half-brother. He was driven away before he knew Kako had become pregnant with his son, Koryak.

Orin returned to the seas; he crossed paths with humans from time to time but for the most part he stayed well out of the reach of humanity, until a fateful day when Orin happened on the city of his birth, Atlantis. He was captured by the then-dictatorial government of the city and placed in a prison camp. He was helped by Vulko, at the time also a prisoner of the state, who taught Orin the language and ways of the Atlanteans. While Orin was there he realized that his mother was also being held captive, but once she was killed he broke out and fled. Eventually, Orin made his way to the surface world, and became a hero named "Aquaman."

And that's about it.

Last edited:
Aquaman: Michael Fassbender
Mera: Emily Blunt
Ocean Master: Sean Bean
Black Manta: Harry Lennix

Allow me to elaborate (sorry got a rush at work so couldn't sit down to type it up when you first asked):

Let me point out first that Atlantis was ruled by King Orin, and King Orin had a blonde haired brother named Shalako. Shalako had great jealousy towards his brother, while Orin was oblivious to his hatred. This started the Fate between all brothers of the throne: For all eternity two brothers will forever fight for the throne of Atlantis. This is important because it is what keeps Aquaman and Ocean Master (his half-brother Orm) in constant battle no matter what.

Kordax ends up losing the war, and as punishment his hand is cut off, and he is banished from the city. Because of the destruction, death, and havoc Kordax caused the "Curse of Kordax" was born: a belief that any Atlantean born with blonde hair was deformed and be much like Kordax.

Time to speed things up a bit, k? So many many many years pass by, and the current King and Queen of Atlantis is King Trevor and Queen Atlanna (Aquaman's mom). They are unable to produce an heir because King Trevor is sterile (his sperm can't do the job). Well one of Queen Atlanna's ancestors was Prince Atlan who studies the Magicks of Atlantis and was immortal. She did not know it was him, but one night he appeared to her and seduced her (think of those Ancient Greek stories about Gods like Zeus appearing to women in different forms and seducing them and such). She so strongly wanted to provide an heir to please her husband that they got it on and the baby was born: Orin (Aquaman). But Orin was born with blonde hair and was marked with the Curse of Kordax and King Trevor himself ordered the baby to die on Mercy Reef. Knowing that the baby was not his, he committed suicide.

While he was abandoned on Mercy Reef, dolphins came to his aide, and raised him for his early years. In his teen years, realizing he was not a dolphin but in fact something else, he spots a lighthouse one day and grows curious about the surface world. He runs into the lighthouse keeper (originally named Tom but I believe recently they retconned his name to be Arthur) Arthur Curry. He teaches him English, and pretty much raises him the rest of his teen life; Orin adopts a human name as Arthur Curry, II.

And that's about it.

Dammit !!! I want more :cmad:!!! What happened after that ?? I mean, how did he become king of Atlantis ??? :awesome:

Polux

P.S: Gerard Buttler for Aquaman !!!

ah i didnt know that take on the character, that could be a very interesting way to go about him. And it would surely get away from the cheesy superfriends version of aquaman the general public cant seem to get away from.

Yea majority of Society only knows the Silver Age Origin of Aquaman where his mother is just some Atlantean that was banished from Atlantis and fell in love with a human lighthouse keeper. Heck, his Golden Age Origin might even be more well than his Modern Day Origin that Peter David brilliantly put together in the early 90's.

thats cool, i do hope when ever they may get around to aquaman they take the character seriously and not just make it an endless joke like superfriends version is to the general public.

i hope when aquaman does get into film development that they take his seriously and not continue to make him look like a joke like superfriends did.

I never thought he was black. On the cover he's white. Hes always been white. He wasnt mad at him being cast as Poseidon, he just thought it was strange being that Poseidon is a water based character, as is Aquaman.

but i read the hard cover, the cover just had the lighting bolt and all the monsters he was fighting. it never showed his face, on top of that ive never met anyone white with the name percy and jackson is a last name i hear on very few people that aren't black. i should've known that he was white because he would be greek, not that he would have to be white in order to be poseidon's son though.

I know almost every comic book film from Iron Man 2 to BB3 has been suggested for this...but what about Aquaman in Avatar like 3-D.

Here me out. At first I thought all the Atlantis scenes of Aquaman should be digital backlot like 300, Sin City, or Sky Captain but now I think the way to go is 3-D. Imagine all the creatures and beautiful Atlantean landscapes right in front of you. I think that would be great

would look pretty good, though i doubt wb would want to invest in that technology on a character who isnt that proven to score big in theaters. safer bet would go like 300/sin city style. But i would love to see what they would do if they did avatar like effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"