Sequels The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's marketed right Avengers 2 could beat JLA and Star Wars.

Nah I think Star Wars has a bigger reach in terms of fanbase rather than Avengers. Both are massive but i think Star Wars is longer and will be much more highly anticpatied + it has the nostalgia factor

Blackman said:
Nah I think Star Wars has a bigger reach in terms of fanbase rather than Avengers. Both are massive but i think Star Wars is longer and will be much more highly anticpatied + it has the nostalgia factor

Avengers 2 has to be the biggest superhero film ever, and Marvel knows it. Iron Man 3 will do big business, but Marvel has to bring it for Thor 2 and Captain America 2 if they want the feeding frenzy to continue.

Avengers 2 has to be the biggest superhero film ever, and Marvel knows it. Iron Man 3 will do big business, but Marvel has to bring it for Thor 2 and Captain America 2 if they want the feeding frenzy to continue.

Ya. Assuming Avengers 2 outgrosses avengers 1.

And star wars isn't going to outgross avengers 1 I don't think

It also has the..."..another one??" factor

most of its fan base I believe are people who were in love with the original. I feel that the older group of fans will out number the younger group.

With the avengers, it was a hit for everyone. And it still has that newness to it.

Star wars has a bigger fanbase. But given the circumstance of modern media, and when and how the avengers was released, I can't see this new star wars movie making more than the avengers sequel

Star Wars may have "another one" factor but it also has "another one?!" factor people dont get to see a new star wars movie very often while The Avengers (Thor, Cap, Iron Man) are seen just about every 2 years. Even the prequel trilogy, which has mixed reaction among people, made a crap ton of movie.
And I also think SW has more of a nostalgia factor than the current MArvel CBMs

And now with 3D, IMAX, and inflated prices I could see Episode VII beating Avengers. But either way I have faith that both will be good

Last edited:
jaqua99 said:

Star Wars really depends on the director/writer. It will make or break it.

They're both going to be ginormous so I don't really see the issue.

It also has the..."..another one??" factor
That goes away when people see the teaser with Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford

jaqua99 said:
I am still on the bandwagon that Thanos will be in Phase 3, and that big event will be an infinity gauntlet movie

Thanos can take the Avengers movie team without the gauntlet and gems or whatever. Hulk could give him trouble, but not enough to where he can beat him. I guess it depends on how bad they want to make him.

"The Avengers was about assembling to save the world, but in Avengers 2 the team will be assembling to save themselves." Roger Wardell .......Whats your take on that ? Im really cant wait until all eyes are back on the Avengers again

Star Wars may have "another one" factor but it also has "another one?!" factor people dont get to see a new star wars movie very often while The Avengers (Thor, Cap, Iron Man) are seen just about every 2 years. Even the prequel trilogy, which has mixed reaction among people, made a crap ton of movie.
And I also think SW has more of a nostalgia factor than the current MArvel CBMs

And now with 3D, IMAX, and inflated prices I could see Episode VII beating Avengers. But either way I have faith that both will be good

10 years ago saw a STAR WARS movie get outgrossed domestically by SPIDER MAN and internationally by THE TWO TOWERS so the idea of AVENGERS 2 beating the next entry into that franchise isn't impossible.

Avengers 2 can totally beat Star Wars. Think about the audience segments:

Grown up nerds 30+: Will see both movies regardless. EDGE: TIE

Kids 6-12: Grown up on Avengers 1 and rest of the MCU movies, plus EMH. Don't know Star Wars except from DVDs and the Clone Wars cartoon. EDGE: AVENGERS

Non-nerd parents of young kids: See above. EDGE: AVENGERS

Millenials 18-30: Have seen pretty good MCU movies and weak SW Prequels. EDGE: AVENGERS

Normal women without children: ScarJo, RDJ, the Sexy Chrises in a contemporary setting vs. the geriatric shapeless original Star Wars cast and some young actors in bathrobes spouting some mystical mumbo jumbo in an unrelatable alien environment. EDGE: AVENGERS

"Dude" action movie guys: New York City getting blown up vs. some strange CGI alien planet getting blown up. EDGE: AVENGERS

Last edited:
^I agree with most of those assessments, except for the part about kiddies these days not being aware of SW except through Clone Wars and DVDs. SW is still very much a merchandising juggernaut for kids, particularly through LEGO, but also through the continued raging popularity of SW video games. Ask any 6-year old boy about Star Wars, and he's very likely to be well aware who Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jar Jar Binks, R2D2, General Grievous and Darth Maul are.

^I agree with most of those assessments, except for the part about kiddies these days not being aware of SW except through Clone Wars and DVDs. SW is still very much a merchandising juggernaut for kids, particularly through LEGO, but also through the continued raging popularity of SW video games. Ask any 6-year old boy about Star Wars, and he's very likely to be well aware who Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jar Jar Binks, R2D2, General Grievous and Darth Maul are.

Lol, if the boy knows who Jar Jar Binks and General Grievous are, then it's BIG edge to The Avengers.

Seriously though, I'll concede that SW has a stronger brand among kids, but I'd still say it's at least a SLIGHT edge to Avengers.

As Avatar showed a bullet points vs chart really doesn't apply if you make something that grabs people, I also think some underestimate just how ingrained in popular culture Star Wars is compared to The Avengers.

I don't think it's simply about who will go to see the movies opening weekend, it's about are they going to make movies worth seeing over and over for the type of people who do that with a film. We wont know that answer for some time yet.

Which one is likely to be the most tired franchise at that point?

Both movies should do very well, but we'll know more when IM3, CA2 and T2 come out. I'm just not convinced that a series can stay strong through this many movies coming out around roughly the same time. I hope it keeps up though. ;)

Thanos can take the Avengers movie team without the gauntlet and gems or whatever. Hulk could give him trouble, but not enough to where he can beat him. I guess it depends on how bad they want to make him.

If anyone of the avengers can give Thanos trouble it should be Thor, not Hulk lol. Thor is the only one who has actually fought thanos and held his own before. Even if they decide to give Hulk a small strength advantage of Thanos in the MCU (he's not stronger than him, so he shouldn't) he should still be smart enough that he should have no problem taking hulk down, even hand to hand, given all powers into consideration, Thor should be the only one to give him an issue. But he's too powerful. We KNOW the IG will come into play

"The Avengers was about assembling to save the world, but in Avengers 2 the team will be assembling to save themselves." Roger Wardell .......Whats your take on that ? Im really cant wait until all eyes are back on the Avengers again

according to roger, masters of evil

If the WOM on SW 7 is stellar leading up to the premiere, and Fox supplies a kick-ass marketing campaign, the entire world (like, everybody) will go see it. over and over again. Add in 3D, IMAX, whatever-new-format, the movie will surpass TA1 with relative ease. Throw in a love story subplot that actually works, and a Leo-level male lead, and SW7 could overtake Titanic. So a buttload of ifs basically.

Of course TA2 also has the opportunity to expand its audience and challege the #2 spot, and I think its a much safer bet at this point than SW7 for obvious reasons. Way too many questions regarding SW given recent history and dearth of details. But the potential for history-making box office is there due to the wordwide cultural infiltration of the SW brand.

As far as the above wardell quote, I like this idea. My fave scenes from TA were the ones where the characters paired off, either to fight or to team up. I think this "defensive" or "threat from within" premise makes these dichotomous (a word?) scenes more likely.

Last edited:
If the WOM on SW 7 is stellar leading up to the premiere, and Fox supplies a kick-ass marketing campaign, the entire world (like, everybody) will go see it. over and over again. Add in 3D, IMAX, whatever-new-format, the movie will surpass TA1 with relative ease. Throw in a love story subplot that actually works, and a Leo-level male lead, and SW7 could overtake Titanic. So a buttload of ifs basically.

Of course TA2 also has the opportunity to expand its audience and challege the #2 spot, and I think its a much safer bet at this point than SW7 for obvious reasons. Way too many questions regarding SW given recent history and dearth of details. But the potential for history-making box office is there due to the wordwide cultural infiltration of the SW brand.

As far as the above wardell quote, I like this idea. My fave scenes from TA were the ones where the characters paired off, either to fight or to team up. I think this "defensive" or "threat from within" premise makes these dichotomous (a word?) scenes more likely.

i'm tellin ya lo, I could be an idiot, but I am not going to be so quick to write off mr. roger so quickly

These boards are going to be crazy in 2015...

Ya. Assuming Avengers 2 outgrosses avengers 1.

I wouldn't say that. The Box Office has changed drastically since 2005, the foreign market is a bigger factor & I'm sure they'll eat a new Star Wars movie up. If the new movie is as good or *gasp* even better than the OT, then 2015 BO is going to be one helluva battle.

I'm not going to choose sides since both Marvel & Star Wars are two of my major passions. Hell, I won't even bash Justice League until I see anything...though it's not looking so good for that movie; which sucks since JL could be just as good as Avengers, if done right.

Thor and the FF's Ben Grimm teamed up and held their own against Thanos in Marvel Two In One Annual #2. I'm pretty sure Thor and The Hulk can handle him.

10 years ago saw a STAR WARS movie get outgrossed domestically by SPIDER MAN and internationally by THE TWO TOWERS so the idea of AVENGERS 2 beating the next entry into that franchise isn't impossible.

Yup. I remember the Star Wars boards going ballistic When Raimi's Spider- Man spanked SW at the box office lol :word:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"