The Batman comics recommendation thread! - Part 1

Great that you loved them. For me personally both were really big disappointments. Hated the art style and some story beats in Going Sane and almost everything in Lovers and Madmen.

Still, I am glad that a new batman reader enjoys his Batman stuff, no matter what I think about some of the comics.

I've loved Morrison's epic from the very beginning. Mainly because it shot the books in the arm and that was very needed after the cliche Hush, Broken City, War Games, War Crimes era. I know BC has it's fans and I love Azz' work in general but his Batman work outside the Flashpoint tie-in mini leaves me dry and seems to try way too hard.

Morrison's run started out pretty damn interesting and inventive (Batman has a son? ninja man bats? Joker disfigured and pushed aside? awesome!) and then went from good to "I cannot miss ONE issue" from the Three Ghosts of the Batman story all through his run on B&R. Then got into "oh my god this is one of the greatest and most brilliantly defining looks into Bruce/Batman ever" with Return of Bruce Wayne and Inc.

I'm bittersweet about it ending soon but I cannot wait for the ending to his run to begin because I'm sure he's not going to half step in anyway even if I don't want it to end.

Last edited:
I would recommend the graphic novel Batman: Noel by Lee Bermejo. It's the same guy who did the artwork for Azzerello's Joker novel, and for Joker fans, he's the villian in this one too. It's a Gotham City take on Dicken's Christmas Carol. Pretty cool.

I've loved Morrison's epic from the very beginning. Mainly because it shot the books in the arm and that was very needed after the cliche Hush, Broken City, War Games, War Crimes era. I know BC has it's fans and I love Azz' work in general but his Batman work outside the Flashpoint tie-in mini leaves me dry and seems to try way too hard.

Morrison's run started out pretty damn interesting and inventive (Batman has a son? ninja man bats? Joker disfigured and pushed aside? awesome!) and then went from good to "I cannot miss ONE issue" from the Three Ghosts of the Batman story all through his run on B&R. Then got into "oh my god this is one of the greatest and most brilliantly defining looks into Bruce/Batman ever" with Return of Bruce Wayne and Inc.

I'm bittersweet about it ending soon but I cannot wait for the ending to his run to begin because I'm sure he's not going to half step in anyway even if I don't want it to end.

This.:BA

I'm gonna get my Batman Inc. hardcover next week, so I can finally continue Morrison's epic story! YEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!
Took long enough for it to get out, goddammit :BA

I just read Going Sane and Lovers and Madmen. I LOVE both of them. Going Sane showed how much the Joker can't exist without the Batman and probably the same thing for the Crusader. I liked how it was written too, great comic :)

My favorite however is Lovers and Madmen. What a terrific Joker they made! I'm amazed! Already insane, doesnt seem to feel any kind of pain, no mercy... I think I never saw a Joker all that evil. They did an excellent work for this Joker :)

Glad you liked them. I thought the new takes on the character were pretty entertaining. :up:

What does everyone think of BATMAN year 2?

thought about picking it up

I recommend Venom. It's not perfect but the themes of the story make it one of the better comics IMO. I ordered the reprint. Here's the new cover:
2551494.jpg.size-300_maxheight-300_square-true.jpg

Here's a recommendation a lot of you might not see coming...

hvscap.jpg

The Bat and the Cat. A 4 issue arc that ran through Batman Confidential #17-21.

Written by Fabian Nicieza (most recently of Robin fame), with art by Kevin Maguire (of the classic JLI comics), the Bat and the Cat is a story of Batgirl's first meeting with Catwoman. While there's nothing too heavy or legendary in the series, with so few modern comics devoted to the days of Barbara Gordon as Batgirl, it makes for a fun, often funny, and quirky story that provides strong characterization for both main characters, and captures a bit of the essence of Batgirl's original appearances from the '60s.

Oh, and there's this in it:

35jy1lj.jpg

I have another one...

The Widening Gyre by Kevin Smith.

This I feel this mini-series has gotten kind of a bum rap since its release. Partially due to it being the follow up to a mediocre 3-parter by Kevin Smith, and also due to the fact that it ends in a cliffhanger that still has yet to be resolved due to Smith's notorious slowness for writing comics. Then you have a few trademark Kevin Smith attempts at humor that have rubbed some fans the wrong way.

But when you actually let go of those slight annoyances and actually pay attention to what the Widening Gyre is, it's really one of the better Batman stories of the past decade, I think.

The first thing that makes it more unique that most Batman stories around is how Smith puts a truly large focus on not just Batman, but Bruce Wayne, and uses the story as almost a sequel to the classic Eagleheart/Rogers run of the 70s. The whole story is very much about Bruce Wayne as a person, his relationship with his Batman persona, and his desire to have a normal life.

Through all of this, Smith weaves a story that probably humanizes and progresses Bruce Wayne as a character farther than any other contemporary Batman comic.

Here's a recommendation a lot of you might not see coming...

hvscap.jpg

The Bat and the Cat. A 4 issue arc that ran through Batman Confidential #17-21.

Written by Fabian Nicieza (most recently of Robin fame), with art by Kevin Maguire (of the classic JLI comics), the Bat and the Cat is a story of Batgirl's first meeting with Catwoman. While there's nothing too heavy or legendary in the series, with so few modern comics devoted to the days of Barbara Gordon as Batgirl, it makes for a fun, often funny, and quirky story that provides strong characterization for both main characters, and captures a bit of the essence of Batgirl's original appearances from the '60s.

Oh, and there's this in it:

35jy1lj.jpg

I pretty much ignored the Confidential series but now I have to read this.

1) To get context on that Babs pic lol

2) To read a Barbara Gordon Batgirl who is more in line with her classic interpretation.

3) I love Maguire's art and the bat in the ellipse with the little extra legs like the one on Anton Furst's ellipse design is a nice touch :up:

Does anyone know how many tpbs are out for Gotham City Sirens? I have Union, Song of the Sirens and Strange Fruit. I think that's current.

Should I get Batman vs Bane if I'm getting Knightfall Vol. 1 (new edition)? The latter contains a Bane story which is also in BvsB.

I'll definitely have a great reading for the next two months until TDKR with these new editions of Knightfall saga and No Man's Land.

WOWZAAAAAA!!!

Just finished reading the first HC of the new 52 Batman: Court of Owls.
I really have to straight dive into hyperbole... my god was that great! If the quality holds up, easily a new entry in my top 3, if not top 2 fave Batman comics! Really, just loved it! Mild spoilers could follow:

I know, at face value, the story is not thaaaaat special. Batman has lost control of his city before (Laphams City of Crime comes to mind) and he was also almost driven insane before, by a secret club of rich guys (Batman RIP, my personal favorite Batcomic did that a few years ago), but the way it was written and paced... WOW... the art? WOW! Capullo never impressed me over at Spawn (which I never liked to be honest), but my god is he great at drawing Batman! Love the whole nursery rhyme thingy and the creepy backstory of the court. The thing with their hideouts... wow. Dick Grayson revelation... wow.

When I read the new 52's Justice League I was kinda worried about the reboot, but Snyder made me a believer again.

WOWZAAAAAA!!!

Just finished reading the first HC of the new 52 Batman: Court of Owls.
I really have to straight dive into hyperbole... my god was that great! If the quality holds up, easily a new entry in my top 3, if not top 2 fave Batman comics! Really, just loved it! Mild spoilers could follow:

I know, at face value, the story is not thaaaaat special. Batman has lost control of his city before (Laphams City of Crime comes to mind) and he was also almost driven insane before, by a secret club of rich guys (Batman RIP, my personal favorite Batcomic did that a few years ago), but the way it was written and paced... WOW... the art? WOW! Capullo never impressed me over at Spawn (which I never liked to be honest), but my god is he great at drawing Batman! Love the whole nursery rhyme thingy and the creepy backstory of the court. The thing with their hideouts... wow. Dick Grayson revelation... wow.

When I read the new 52's Justice League I was kinda worried about the reboot, but Snyder made me a believer again.

I began to flip through this because I expected the art to be good.

I got as far as seeing the Riddler's ******ed new hair-do, watching Batman punch every single one of his rogues gallery in a matter of 20 panels, and decided it looked corny and lame, put it down and picked up another book instead. (I've read enough mediocre comics in my time that I have little patience anymore, I know it seems harsh. haha)

Since my first impression was so sour, can you give me an example that would change my mind and recapture my interest?

Maybe post a scan of a really good page?

Now you have a short attention span. That scene encompassed a full 5 pages of issue one and has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the book.

You can go recapture your own interest for all I care. :o

What does everyone think of BATMAN year 2?

thought about picking it up
Others might say that it's a poor follow up to Year One but for me I love this story that I read it twice the same day I got it, yep it's really good.

Mike W. Barr who's no stranger to Batman crafts a much smaller scale story that pits Batman against a murderous vigilante called The Reaper and to do so Batman actually has to work with the killer of his parents Joe Chill, very cool ending, Alan Davis did just the first part while Todd McFarlane finished it off, although his art is a bit sketchy it's still readable.

There was a sequel called Full Circle which is also good I'd recommend if you like Alan Davis' art.

Lately I've been hearing that Year Two has now been retconned and suddenly now it's back in continuity, with DC who the hell can tell these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"