The BATSUIT Thread

FNlb-WCaMAQn-1C

"How did you know I'm Bruce Wayne?"
"Dude, you have a W on your belt buckle"

I don't think the wing suit is meant to look cool at all. To my mind it's obviously not just a misfire in terms of practicality, but also a stylistic failure whose awkward look is meant to further represent how this Batman is still early in his career and that he hasn't totally figured out what he's doing just yet.

People saying they think it looks cool are missing the point tbh. It's not meant to be defended or propped up by people who are insecure about how dumb it looks. It's totally designed for the viewer to look at it and say: wow that was a huge misfire, let's hope he figures things out better for next time.
And here I was thinking I liked it. Thank you for correcting me of my opinion.

Just as long as we stick with Glyn Dillon and David Crossman as the suit designers, I trust whatever they have in mind.

Except that's what the movie was pushing.
Pushing for practical function? Where in the movie?

The design aesthetics definitely evoked a sense of utilitarianism, but not in a way to invite the viewer to examine the particulars.

That was Nolan's m.o. but I didn't get that from Reeves.

The design aesthetics definitely evoked a sense of utilitarianism, but not in a way to invite the viewer to examine the particulars.

That was Nolan's m.o. but I didn't get that from Reeves.
The costume designers said that the ethos for this batsuit was to ask which practical purpose each piece served.

The costume designers said that the ethos for this batsuit was to ask which practical purpose each piece served.
Original comment was the movie pushed this ideology.

Behind-the-scenes info is cool trivia, but it's not a reflection of the movie.

I am curious of the concept art and design choices they could've went. It also may give us clues to the evolution that the suit could go in the future.

I love that artwork from the belt down. The abdomen and ribcage area is interesting too.

Interesting we never got a suiting up sequence, but considering the complexity of the design, that might not have translated well.

In the movie. The bat symbol is a compartment for a utility knife. The wings on the gauntlets are straps.

Original comment was the movie pushed this ideology.

Behind-the-scenes info is cool trivia, but it's not a reflection of the movie.

It certainly is.

In the movie. The bat symbol is a compartment for a utility knife. The wings on the gauntlets are straps.
Neither Reeves nor the story draws attention to those though. When I think of a film "pushing" at something, there's a clear motive in attracting the audience's attention to it. Going back to Nolan, he has several scenes and lines dedicated to the making of all the major components in the Batman look. Up until BB, it was never a sticking point for audiences until Chris made us question it.

Whereas Chris' first movie felt it was still building the ground rules for his Batman, Reeves has plucked us into a Batman who was already in play. I don't get the sense Matt's that interested in exploring the "why?" so much with Batman's iconography. It's important and welcome he does so at the production and design level, but it doesn't have to be center stage.

I mean it blatantly draws attention to the bat symbol utility knife...

Interesting we never got a suiting up sequence, but considering the complexity of the design, that might not have translated well.
We had, kinda, during the opening monologue (we see him applying the eye shadows). It'd be cool an extended scene, though, just like the old movies.

Except that's what the movie was pushing.

The cape does have a function though, just a more niche one that's seemingly only used as a last resort.
The cowl very clearly in the movie has armouring to protect Batman's head.

Weirdly enough, because this actually seems close in concept to the Pattinson suit (which I love), I wouldn’t have cared for this on Affleck. I think the overall concept of Affleck’s original suit is something I enjoyed, it just needed better execution in a number of areas (weirdly shaped mouth opening, beer gut, etc). But suddenly putting him in a Bale/Pattinson style suit? I don’t know.

Weirdly enough, because this actually seems close in concept to the Pattinson suit (which I love), I wouldn’t have cared for this on Affleck. I think the overall concept of Affleck’s original suit is something I enjoyed, it just needed better execution in a number of areas (weirdly shaped mouth opening, beer gut, etc). But suddenly putting him in a Bale/Pattinson style suit? I don’t know.

they were kind of moving this direction with that final Justice League suit (minus the insane looking dad shades). Seems like they have him in something similar in Flash too

I dunno. To tell you the truth, the BvS/JL suits kinda made me appreciate a more utilitarian look for Batman. The faithful comic-book adaptation didn't age well with me. Batman's one of those superheroes where his costume does have functionality to it, but the BvS/JL suits just scream "Hollywood costume." Didn't register as tangible body production.

I dunno. To tell you the truth, the BvS/JL suits kinda made me appreciate a more utilitarian look for Batman. The faithful comic-book adaptation didn't age well with me. Batman's one of those superheroes where his costume does have functionality to it, but the BvS/JL suits just scream "Hollywood costume." Didn't register as tangible body production.

Batman fans are truly dogs chasing cars :D

Batman fans are truly dogs chasing cars :D
It's one of those things I can't fully explain. Maybe it's because of certain design choices made (chunky neck, beer gut), but the BvS/JL suits just don't do it for me much anymore. Frankly, I'd take that Batfleck concept above in a heartbeat.

I hated Afflecks costume. I get that it was grey, but it gave off a very expensive cosplay at comic con type of vibe. Which is great for cosplayers! But pretty laughable in live action. I much prefer a military look like in TDK trilogy or industrial look like in Reeves world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"