• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Homecoming The Box Office Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't clear that could still be the case after the second weekend.
Looked pretty clear to me. All it takes is taking a closer look. I literally said this on the day the weekend numbers came in: "I don't see it going below $300M in any scenario".
I understand that it might not look clear on first glance. But take a closer look and it was pretty clear. The weekday numbers are the key here, and they were overlooked by many.
Additionally, movies like Spider-Man Homecoming that aren't getting bad reviews aren't dropping that high in their second weekend regardless of how big they opened.
I think you are mistaken. There are plenty of movies with great reviews that dropped like Homecoming, or even more.

The most extreme was is probably the last Harry Potter movie(also release in July). It has 96% on rotten tomatoes with a 8.3 average rating and 100% with top critics. It dropped 72% on the 2nd weekend.

Some others July releases I can think of with drops similar or bigger than Homecoming, with very good reviews:
War for the Planet of the Apes has 93% on RT and a 8.1 average rating. It dropped 63%.
Prisoner of Azkaban got 92% on RT. It dropped 62%.
The Dark Knight Rises got 87% with a 8/10 average rating. It dropped 61.4%.
Hellboy 2 got 85% on RT. It dropped 70.7%.

Homecoming is not some unique case.
So people had to make readjustments and maybe people, me included over-reacted over the drop, but when you see a drop like that, you use the information you have at the time.

Clearly after that the numbers started to settle and the legs for Spider-Man Homecoming kicked in a lot later. But that's not the usual trend for a blockbuster such as this.
Like I said, the reactions are understandable. But they were still overreactions. People who looked at more than just the percentage it dropped in the 2nd weekend knew this. Those who didn't... probably not.

Being wrong is not a problem. Not at all. Not being able to admit when you're wrong on the other hand...
And at least you admitted you overreacted, so I give you props for that.
You think SMH can possibly make 240M in China and pass 1B WW?
In case anyone is wondering what Ozbridge meant, Despicable Me 3 is currently at $970M+ worldwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"