The Coronavirus’ Impact On The Film Industry Thread

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
Figured I should make this thread to discuss the impact this pandemic is having on the industry that we enjoy so much. This will be a thread to discuss things like studios shutting down production on things, and how movie celebrities have been affected by the virus, and how movie theaters are being affected. I’m aware there already is a thread for the Coronavirus in general but I figured there should still be a thread to specifically talk about the large impact this virus is having on the film industry so far.

In the latest news of the virus’s impact on the industry it has been recently announced that Disney has ceased production on all live-action movie productions indefinitely.
Disney is shutting down multiple productions over the coronavirus pandemic.

Those films include The Little Mermaid, which was going to begin shooting in London next week, Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings, Home Alone, The Last Duel, and Nightmare Alley. Peter Pan & Wendy and Shrunk, both in pre-production, are being shut down as well.
Disney Suspends Film Production Amid Coronavirus Concerns

Last edited:
I finally got into a yearly movie pass contract with my local cinema last October.

I am wondering if the Coronavirus will be sufficient excuse to cancel my membership before the minimum 12-month period passes, as there really won't be anything to go and see in the next 8 months...

What's the point of paying £20 a month for nothing?

I can't help but wonder if moving all of these blockbusters will result in smaller or medium size films becoming unexpected hits.
I've been wondering about that too, If a bunch of big movies don't show up at the theater, the theaters will have to fill the slots with something. So will smaller indie or foreign movies get booked and thus seen by more people than planned? This would be the time for re=releasing old classics to the theater.

I can't help but wonder if moving all of these blockbusters will result in smaller or medium size films becoming unexpected hits.

Not a bad thing at all not only commercially but also for awards. When the usual suspects are out, it’ll open up spaces for the usually underrated/ignored ones.

It hasn't just affected the production of films, but a lot of tv shows as well. The Flash for instance. Some of them haven't even finished filming their current season and won't be able to have a proper season finale.

I was afraid something like this would happen, but it's completely understandable. Health/safety first.

Yeah, I have a feeling when this is all finished theatres will have a big boom with people just wanting to get out of their homes from cabin fever and do something.

Yeah, I have a feeling when this is all finished theatres will have a big boom with people just wanting to get out of their homes from cabin fever and do something.

Isolated and sitting on my ass watching crap in my house for two weeks... and then straight to sitting on my ass watching crap in a dark room for 2 hours, only with other people! YAY! :p

It hasn't just affected the production of films, but a lot of tv shows as well. The Flash for instance. Some of them haven't even finished filming their current season and won't be able to have a proper season finale.

I was afraid something like this would happen, but it's completely understandable. Health/safety first.

For those series that are already close to the end with only a few episodes left, they will just call it a season and end. Flash seems to be at nearly 20 which it has already filmed. So I'm guessing Flash will not have a big showdown but end either abruptly or in a non dramatic way.

Imagine they had a filler like Love is a Battlefield with Amunet and that was their season ender.

Isolated and sitting on my ass watching crap in my house for two weeks... and then straight to sitting on my ass watching crap in a dark room for 2 hours, only with other people! YAY! :p

Yeah but for at least 5 minutes travelling there you’ll get some much needed sunshine.

Yeah but for at least 5 minutes travelling there you’ll get some much needed sunshine.

8wM33GK.gif

I am very very very curious to see how Disney and WB are gonna handle their two juggernaut releases: Black Widow and Wonder Woman. At this rate the virus is gonna be much worse by summer so it only makes sense to push them.

I am very very very curious to see how Disney and WB are gonna handle their two juggernaut releases: Black Widow and Wonder Woman. At this rate the virus is gonna be much worse by summer so it only makes sense to push them.

The fact is we don’t know where this will be then. I think they’ll take it at a week by week basis.

Currently cases seem to be slowing in China and theatres might be opening again soon.

As China’s Coronavirus Cases Slow, Are Re-Openings Of Movie Theaters Far Behind? – Deadline

The fact is we don’t know where this will be then. I think they’ll take it at a week by week basis.

Currently cases seem to be slowing in China and theatres might be opening again soon.

As China’s Coronavirus Cases Slow, Are Re-Openings Of Movie Theaters Far Behind? – Deadline

It's seemingly almost petered completely out in China and also slowing down in South Korea. China went on total lockdown. South Korea did not, but was very quick about getting mass testing up and running which we're not doing, unfortunately.

Meanwhile it's still surging in other places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"