No Way Home No Way Home Box Office Predictions & Discussion Thread

Lets be honest. FFH made a billion because it was on the shoulders of the MCU. Riding that wave of Endgame and Infinity War. As really FFH isn't exactly a billion-dollar movie. And with HC it's hard to deny there is a reason why they included RDJ.

NWH made over a billion because it had Endgame/Infinity War hype to it.

I agree about FFH riding off the IW/EG hype, but not with your last sentence.

NWH wasn't riding the IW/EG as it already has been 2 and a half years since EG released. NWH made what it made simply because it introduced the Raimi/Webb villains, because it had Tobey/Andew and because it was genuinely a good film.

I think what @GuestStar2004 meant was the hype level for NWH was on the level of Infinity War and Endgame not that it was riding those movies’ coat tails. Sony and Marvel successfully made this movie seem like an event despite an incredibly minimalist marketing campaign that barely showed everything.

And honestly I think the leaks also generated massive amounts of hype on the internet too. The Tobey and Andrew stuff leaked a year ago and the internet has been bubbling with anticipation this whole year wondering if the rumors are true. That curiosity put butts in seats.

I think what @GuestStar2004 meant was the hype level for NWH was on the level of Infinity War and Endgame not that it was riding those movies’ coat tails. Sony and Marvel successfully made this movie seem like an event despite an incredibly minimalist marketing campaign that barely showed everything.

And honestly I think the leaks also generated massive amounts of hype on the internet too. The Tobey and Andrew stuff leaked a year ago and the internet has been bubbling with anticipation this whole year wondering if the rumors are true. That curiosity put butts in seats.

Ah yeah, you are right - my mistake @GuestStar2004 . Misread your post!

But yeah, NWH's BO success is the result of a massive hype built up around and one of the rare situations where the film actually lived up to it (other examples being IW & EG).

This is going to Starz first, right? Then Netflix? Then Disney Plus? I think? The lack of a clear "wait for Disney Plus" type of option might help its legs as it keeps going.

I can see this movie getting an extended run or even another cinema release if Covid dies down as the warmer months come along...
Well, it makes sense to me anyway!

NWH released under very compromised circumstances in Canada. I have a feeling when things simmer down again probably in spring/summer it's going to get another run.
Wish I'd seen this before my previous post! :D

Deadline expecting a $30m 4th weekend for NWH.

Absolutely insane how much the first Spidey made. Inflation adjusted it's at 636m. Add in IMAX/3D and it'd be 700m+

It was a genuine Avengers level event 20 years ago

Absolutely amazing result for this movie. I read that its taking aim at the Lion King 2019 and Jurassic World's box office totals next.

Sidenote: How in the HECK did Lion King 2019 make 1.6 B at the box office?! I thought everyone hated that remake? :funny:

Any word on release in China? That's another 200 mil easy

Absolutely insane how much the first Spidey made. Inflation adjusted it's at 636m. Add in IMAX/3D and it'd be 700m+

It was a genuine Avengers level event 20 years ago

I've often said I wish I could have been 8 years old when the first Batman came out in 1989. To be a young kid admist the mega hype of that movie was probably just awesome.

But I got to enjoy the second coming of that type of movie and hype with the first Spider-Man in 2002. What a grand time it was. I was in 7th grade and consumed all things Spider-Man. I was very fortunate to be young enough to enjoy it.

I wonder if The Batman has any chance to beat No Way Home. Don't get me wrong it looks great. Truly. But I don't know if it will give No Way Home a challenge.
I could be completely out to lunch here. But I don't think it'll be close. This kind of performance is pretty much historic. Hard to bet on that kind of thing happening for the new Batman movie. Batman is great and popular. But this is a new Batman and I'm not sure the hype will be that palpable for his first outing. A sequel might have the potential to get there. But I'm not sure The Batman will be top 10 of all time levels of success.

It is Batman though so you can't count anything out in that sense. I look forward to seeing it. But I think it'll be nearly impossible for anyone to match NWH this year.

The Batman is not going to come close. Please dont get me wrong, I am HYPED for that movie and its shaping up to be the best Batman film ever made but you have to understand that NWH is making this kind of money as a result of a perfect storm of events:

1) The gimmick of brining the legacy actors
2) Coming out at Christmas time
3) Sony's minimalist Endgame-like marketing campaign. As much as we fans complained that they werent showing anything--it worked. It got people curious and everyone and their momma wanted to know if the rumors were true.
4) It was an actual great movie.

The Batman isnt being marketed like an "event" like NWH was and doesnt have the same hook. The movie's going to do just fine and might scratch a billion if its a great movie but NWH when alls said and done will probably land around 1.8 Billion and I dont see the Batman skyrocketing that high.

I dont think its gonna happen at this point man. the thing'll be released on VOD in a month or so and it'll be too late.

I dont think its gonna happen at this point man. the thing'll be released on VOD in a month or so and it'll be too late.

Pretty much. Its probably best to just write off China for the foreseeable future, they are in a "We don't like anything except maybe our own native industry" phase.

F9 got soooo lucky. Its going to be interesting to see how the lack of China BO is going to affect this year's big releases.

F9 got soooo lucky. Its going to be interesting to see how the lack of China BO is going to affect this year's big releases.
On the positive side it might get films to stop openly pandering to China for a while. If they aren't going to get the China money anyways then no point excluding elements China wouldn't like.

Will obviously have an impact since that money isn't going to be there though. Guess we'll just see where the big releases end up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"