Falcon and Winter Soldier The Falcon and the Winter Soldier General Discussion

There are some reasons that would make all kinds of sense for there to be pushback on Sam taking up the role of Capt. America that don't HAVE to touch on racial bias.

That said... There's something to be said about that given that anyone with eyes and ears saw what the reaction was to an African American POTUS and First Lady just a few years back in some very loud quarters of the US.

it would be unrealistic for there not to at least be some push back due to racism. It doesn't have to be the main focus of the story but we all know in the real world there would be outrage if these were real people.

Last edited:
While it would certainly be unavoidable to have at least subplots and subtext about Sam, vis a vis race and government control, as an element, there is at least one reason to be skeptical about Sam-as-Cap that isn't obviously bogus: the Super Soldier Serum. Steve had superpowers, and Sam does not. It is at least prima facie reasonable to go "Your a great hero and all, but the next Captain America needs to have similar powers, not just be an ordinary skilled guy with some gadgets".

Of course, I suspect this would be at least partially a pretext to get a Captain America that the relevant government parties can better control, with at least some people going further with a subtext of "Cap needs to be white". However, this only really works if there is at least basic plausibility.

I would have no problem if a big part of the show is in fact centered around Sam just being a normal man. He will make the argument(while perhaps having his own doubts about it...) that Captain America as a symbol is about much more than the practical question of what the person wielding the shield can do on a super human level. If power is all Captain America represents might be a way in to a whole host of questions.

I'm looking forward to this - but my interest would increase exponentially if John Walker was involved.

Now would be the perfect time for a proper mcu Nuke

Upon seeing the Mandalorian's trailer, I hope all Marvel D+ shows have a 2:39:1 ratio as it would look like more of a film to me than you know, compare to having a tv show film ratio (that sadly A1 and Ant-Man had).

In addition to Sam's limited power base and good old never-going-out-of-style racism, a key aspect of the government's dissatisfaction with Fal-Cap could be their dissatisfaction with Cap-Cap. When Steve stopped making PSAs and started breaking into UN prisons, I'm sure the people in power would love to have pulled a Tony and taken away his shield. But Steve was too entrenched in the role in the minds of the public to hand the Captain America title to a new fella.

Now you've got Sam, an ally of Steve who is also a (pardoned?) fugitive in addition to being black and not so buff. For certain types of would seem like a good time to bring in THEIR guy, someone the government could control, who looks the part (a nice commentary on fanboy casting complaints!) and who also got a shot of the Reinstein juice from TIH.

This should be strong barometer for Marvel Studios TV because it has the potential to be very good.

US Agent is a great choice for this show. You can kind of picture exactly what he is.

I'm kind of hoping the Sons of the Serpent appear given the overall Spencer vibe, but Marvel might be a little reluctant.

Maybe season 2? I think that’s what makes telly so much more special than movies

US Agent is a great choice for this show. You can kind of picture exactly what he is.

I'm kind of hoping the Sons of the Serpent appear given the overall Spencer vibe, but Marvel might be a little reluctant.

I am hoping for the Sons as a shadow operation pulling the strings on the Cap coronation. With the Serpent Society working as their super powered operatives.

I do agree with you that, despite the comics separating them, the Sons of the Serpent and the Serpent Society should be combined to avoid confusion and to give superpowered foes.

I think that Zemo and whatever characters are backing Walker are all the antagonists the show can handle in six episodes. You could probably add in something like the Watchdogs as a threat (Also if you want some canon accuracy they are pretty important to the development of Walker...) but they'd mostly be mooks to get creamed by the heroes. Zemo on the other hand? That's a whole other level. He's really all the mastermind you need for this in my opinion.

My thoughts for the Sons of the Serpent are basically what you're thinking for the Watchdogs, I'd imagine.

With the Watchdogs already utilized (poorly) on AOS I would imagine Feige will want to go in a different direction. And include at least a few snake themed super powered baddies for Sam, John and Bucky to punch when they team up in episode six.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"