Inhumans "THE FIRST CHAPTER" - Inhumans' IMAX film aka the 1st 2 episodes (Use Spoiler tags)

Welp.

I had recorded this thinking it was the second episode, as I saw the first two in Imax a month ago. The way it ended, the screen titles made it sound like the show continues 9/29. So I just went to check the recording so I can start watching it, and saw it was what I already saw. Disappointing with the shady marketing there.

Eh, they've been clear in everything they've said that it's the two hour premiere this week.

There are some added scenes, some of which will definitely be an ongoing B-plot going forward. I also thought the scenes with the Genetic Council genuinely contributed to the story, so it might be worth at least fast forwarding to those scenes.

Not terrible but very unimpressive.

That's how I see it. It's a show on a tv budget...........GoT budget but still......It's ok. I will continue to watch it but won't recommend it.

Yeah I guess I'm one of the few who actually didn't mind these first two episodes. It's nothing great, but I was mostly entertained for the entire two hours. The action sequences are subpar and the CGI is spotty, but there were some nice shots of Attillan and Hawaii.

As far as characters go I'm liking Medusa and Black Bolt so far even if they are nowhere near as powerful as their comic-book counterparts. Lock Jaw is cool too, although his CGI is easily the worst in the show IMO. The guy who plays Maximus is good too and I'm curious to see how they will develop him over the course of 8 episodes, so I'll definitely keep watching.

This was pretty bad. I went in expecting it to be at least enjoyable but man is it filmed so poorly. I may just look up who was the cinematographer on this to see if they any other credits before this because wow. Basically if there was a way to make something that should be interesting not interesting. The opening with Triton running through the forest should have been a fun and excited but the way it's shot was so boring. Likewise showing off Karnak in action is a cool concept but the way they filmed it just felt so awkward. And the score in the first episode always felt out of place. These are things I usually don't notice because if you do a half way decent job you're not suppose to notice it. It made serious moment seem unintentionally funny like [BLACKOUT]Black Bolt's parents dying or Medusa hair getting cut[/BLACKOUT]

My biggest problem was how rushed the premiere. This is an interesting place with interesting characters and we get almost no time to see them interaction. We're just rushed through expositions and introductions without getting time to breathe and take in the characters. So when **** hit the fans why should we care? So much could have been solved if they pushed the coup to the end of the second episode. [BLACKOUT]Seriously they scenes with Gorgon (who for some reason walked into the ocean without being able to swim) with the surfers go by so quick I was left genuinely confused.[/BLACKOUT] Also we don't really see this place as a city but as a bunch of extras huddled around all wearing grey. I get they're limited in how many outfits they can mass produce but could they at least order some fabric with color?

There's a lot of good Actors here and unfortunately they're not really showing it. I'm constantly left thinking "really that's the take they used?" And the actress who plays Crystal just... just... sigh. When she "pet" Lockjaw I... I don't even have the words. Also the extras in Attilan just makes me want to face palm.

I like Black Bolt, I like Karnak, I like Lockjaw. The sets, costumes, and cgi were all serviceable but man they really dropped the where it counts. The is the first MCU related project that is truly bad. Not just okay or watchable. Bad.

Also I loved they [BLACKOUT]gave Black Bolt a crown BUT WHERE'S THE TUNING FORK, YOU HAD ONE JOB FOR THAT SHOT![/BLACKOUT]

PS [BLACKOUT]why the hell was the NASA robot project being run out of a completely empty warehouse? Was there seriously no college computer lab they could have rented for the day? And it's that cliche subplot with the robotic engineer even necessary?[/BLACKOUT]

It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible, which was exactly how I felt about the first half of the first season of Agents of SHIELD. With Agents of SHIELD, the events of Cap: The Winter Soldier turned things around for me on that show but I don't think there's going to be that moment on this show.

The acting was laughably bad. Wooden, stilted dialogue readings that reminded me of the Star Wars prequels.

Did they spend the majority of the wardrobe budget on shopping at Leather R Us? How many cows had to die to create the main Inhuman's costumes?

I nearly busted out laughing [BLACKOUT]when the lead villain threatened to kill Lockjaw to blackmail Chrystal, just a completely hackneyed and cheap way to make him villainous - have him threaten to kill the dog!![/BLACKOUT]

Marvel/Disney made a huge mistake letting the TV division and ABC touch this with a ten foot poll. They botched this property hard.

It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible, which was exactly how I felt about the first half of the first season of Agents of SHIELD. With Agents of SHIELD, the events of Cap: The Winter Soldier turned things around for me on that show but I don't think there's going to be that moment on this show.

Unless Thor or Punisher show up, there won't be a tie-in. Thor's busy in Asgard. The Punisher is busy in New York. Inhumans are on their own.

Allegedly Thanos destroys the moon in Infinity War in leaked footage so at the very least, a new season of this show can never possibly happen.

This show was only made because Perlmutter wanted to undermine Fox.

Inhumans were being pushed as a replacement for the X-Men. The Inhumans were never popular and pushed on consumers from the top down even after the comics failed to sell.

Kevin Feige didn't want to jeopardize his professional relationship with Lauren Schuler-Donner, particularly when it's fully possible to work out a deal with Fox similar to the Sony deal for Spider-Man. Jeph Loeb didn't want to jeopardize his professional relationship with Bryan Singer right after Legion was a huge hit for FX, not did he want to risk The Gifted getting canceled.

So Feige canceled the Inhumans film and Loeb attached Scott Buck to the TV show. It was sabotage from within just to spite Perlmutter over a project who the producers didn't believe in and the fans didn't ask for.

Unless Thor or Punisher show up, there won't be a tie-in. Thor's busy in Asgard. The Punisher is busy in New York. Inhumans are on their own.

Allegedly Thanos destroys the moon in Infinity War in leaked footage so at the very least, a new season of this show can never possibly happen.

Inhumans were being pushed as a replacement for the X-Men. The Inhumans were never popular and pushed on consumers from the top down even after the comics failed to sell.

Kevin Feige didn't want to jeopardize his professional relationship with Lauren Schuler-Donner, particularly when it's fully possible to work out a deal with Fox similar to the Sony deal for Spider-Man. Jeph Loeb didn't want to jeopardize his professional relationship with Bryan Singer right after Legion was a huge hit for FX, not did he want to risk The Gifted getting canceled.

So Feige canceled the Inhumans film and Loeb attached Scott Buck to the TV show. It was sabotage from within just to spite Perlmutter over a project who the producers didn't believe in and the fans didn't ask for.

I doubt Feige canned it to make nice with Fox. And I doubt any decisions are made because "they're worried how Fox will feel" about it. They certainly wouldn't fund a multi-million dollar show and not try to make it good enough to turn a profit and intentionally sink a potential franchise. Not to mention ABC has to sign off on the series. Marvel can't order them to make it. Disney could but Marvel Television has no say in whether or not ABC green lights a series. See Agent Carter for example.

So how come no one noticed the dead driver on the bus or the one with the legs sticking out of the tarp until dark? Sure seem silly no person noticed

"A cheaply made and rushed network TV version of a lower tier Marvel property will teach those fools at FOX a lesson. It's the perfect plan!"

Not exactly. Terrigenesis was pushed as a replacement for the X-gene as the primary super power delivery device in the comics. This was a means to retain the live action rights to new characters ala Ms. Marvel. The Royal Family
didn't replace the X-Men and Marvel kept publishing their adventures.

This doesn't make even a little bit of sense. Loeb didn't try to fail and Feige had no involvement whatsoever in this project.

I actually think this started off pretty well. Didn't like the very first scene, but I enjoyed most of the stuff on the moon initially. That showed promise to me. However...

Things took a turn for the worse when the Royal family, except Crystal, went to earth. The scene where they took out Lockjaw was a nope, things like Gorgon walking into the ocean for... some reason, the fish out of water stuff on earth in general and Medusa trying to fight. Though the stabbing scene was pretty damn sweet. There were still some moments I did like in this second part, but overall I am still not 100% sure if I want to continue with this series. I guess I could've accepted the 'going to earth' thing if this was a movie and they'd be back on the moon by the end of it. But the way it looks now with most of the Royals on earth and only Crystal and Maximus on the moon, I think I'll probably get annoyed very quickly. Crystal completely missed the spot in every single scene for me.
On a more positive note, I actually thought the CGI was great for a tv-series and some of the characters grew on me more than I initially thought they ever would. I guess I'll just watch the trailer for the next episode and then I'll see if I will continue.

Last edited:
I liked it, maybe I'm being easy, but for a TV production it's fine.
I would have preferred a GOT level production, but all considered I see a lot of potential.
Now if they will deliver (directors of next episodes give me hope) or if it's already too late to make it popular, we shall see.

What would be considered a successful debut ratings wise?

hi, what's the name of this charterer ?

http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?...01e01.hdtv.x264-sva.mkv_snapshot_00.44.00.jpg
img.php
img.php

how much better was watching this on IMAX?

I really can't fathom why this was so terrible. Did no one watch the dailies or question the storyline?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank the maker I had low expectations going into this because I think I would of judged it more harshly if I was expecting something better.

Most of the Royal Families powers are downgraded compared to their comic counterparts
Maximus has no powers.

Blackbolts only power seem to be just his destructive voice and weak Segal style martial arts. I wasn't expecting the force fields and energy blasts but I thought he would atleast have super strength and flying.

Blackbolt getting a Rodney King beat down by Hawaii 5-0 made him look like the weakest Marvel hero yet.

Crystal got freeze a ball and throw a fireball but that was about it.

Medusa was rendered powerless with a simple buzz razor even though her hair is supposed to be as strong as steel.

Karnak bumped his head and now his powers don't work or some s***.

I though Cornish (Crystal) and Rheon (Maximus) were the weakest actors in the episodes.

What would be considered a successful debut ratings wise?

I think that's the million dollar question, isn't it? It's a Friday timeslot so it's obviously not going to get huge ratings (and that has to be known). It's at least had some of its cost deferred by IMAX who made approx. $2.6 million worldwide from this.

Interestingly enough, everyone talks about ABC and how they feel, which makes sense since this is ultimately going to be renewed or cancelled based on ABC's views of the show, but I haven't seen any reports about how IMAX feels it did in theaters. Has anyone seen anything?

I enjoyed the opening two episodes... Not an amazingly awesome show, but it's no where near the **** storm people have been getting their panties twisted over.

Main issues for me were the bad acting extras on Earth, the opening sequence and the weird NASA operation subplot....

I've been giving this every benefit of the doubt along the way, but I have to admit this isn't great TV. Its not absolute trash, just below average which is a shame because there are a lot of pieces here that could make something pretty compelling. There is some talent in the cast especially Mount and Leung and even the ones who don't come off well, I think it mostly down to bad dialogue.

Most problematic is the approach, it jumps too quickly into the coup before I have a reason to even root for Black Bolt or Medusa or dislike Maximus. The whole first episode should've been planting the seeds of dissension while showing the benevolence of the king and then the second episode should've ended with Maximus taking the throne.

Some of the concerns about the CGI and the set design were unfounded I thought. The visuals looked pretty decent to me, especially Lockjaw. Attilan itself looked fine and appropriate for what I would expect a moon city to look like. The costuming could be a little better but that is a minor quibble.

I'll keep watching, it is only 8 episodes, but this just really feels like a missed opportunity for something special. The pieces they have and better vision and implementation could've made for an epic mini-series event.

I'm with those who think the two-hour film is decent enough though far from groundbreaking. Excerpt from my review:

I'm amazed that anyone would call this "jaw droppingly awful television." The characters are not precisely the same as their comics-templates, but that may be a plus, since the Royal Family has sometimes come off like a bunch of royal bores. Scott Buck is credited as the "showrunner," which presumably means that INHUMANS is written by a team of scripters. But Buck or someone has devoutly researched the original comics-series, with good effect to the dramatic arcs for the show's seven main characters (eight if you count the dog). One of the better moments, in which Evil Maximus shears away Medusa's formidable tresses, is taken from the Jenkins-Lee graphic novel. Not every arc is equally entertaining. But if there's even one good arc-- such as the complex relationship between Black Bolt, his wife Medusa, and Maximus, who desires his brother's wife-- that's one more good arc than AGENTS OF SHIELD has.

Sometimes when you have no hopes for something, you end up pleasantly surprised because of low expectations....

And sometimes, even your lowest of expectations cannot cover how unfathomably terrible something is. And that is Inhumans. It's below terrible. Not a single thing worked, from acting, to directing, to writing, to production design. I won't even bother watching anymore of this garbage. Not a single plot point made a lick of sense, or had anything ressembling an impact. Feeling bad for Anson Mount, Iwan Rheon and Serinda Swann. They gave their best, and thus they are the 1 point out of the 10, of this aberration.

As far as I am concerned, this is non canon to Marvel TV and the MCU.

Not even LockJaw?

Well I just finished it....and it was...boring. Very bland and VERY generic. It kind of reminds me of one of those pilots that gets made but doesnt get aired but gets leaked to the internet years later.

It's like they just wanted to jump straight to the middle of the story.

I think that's the million dollar question, isn't it? It's a Friday timeslot so it's obviously not going to get huge ratings (and that has to be known). It's at least had some of its cost deferred by IMAX who made approx. $2.6 million worldwide from this.

Interestingly enough, everyone talks about ABC and how they feel, which makes sense since this is ultimately going to be renewed or cancelled based on ABC's views of the show, but I haven't seen any reports about how IMAX feels it did in theaters. Has anyone seen anything?

You have to compare it to other shows that have aired in the timeslot. ABC just canceled a show that was getting over 5mill viewers and a 1.0 in demo. InHumans ratings were horrible for the price tag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"