The Fortress of Solitude: The Superman Lounge

It depends on how they portray Lex, but if he is done right, ie, ultra intelligent, mega rich, and serious, I could see him getting a spinoff, an origin, pre superman.

Do you remember when Logan Paul saw Nope and said he didn’t get it because it sort of mocked people like him?

I could see Elon musk tweeting about a Luther movie and being like “hmm, I wonder who that’s for?”

Do you remember when Logan Paul saw Nope and said he didn’t get it because it sort of mocked people like him?

I could see Elon musk tweeting about a Luther movie and being like “hmm, I wonder who that’s for?”

Luthor is going to be scene as a criminal right winged character regardless of how they portray him because his is a bad guy...and sucks (as a person)

Gorgeous 4K box set. :hrt:

4K-Superman-BoxSet.jpeg

Lex should be a blend of gates and musk
( wealth )

Stalin ( evil )
Einstein and Tony Stark ( hyper intelligent ) but without the quips.

Honestly don’t want any publicity for Musk/Trump etc and don’t want to be reminded of them. Luthor should be more interesting and have much more intelligence than them.

Honestly don’t want any publicity for Musk/Trump etc and don’t want to be reminded of them. Luthor should be more interesting and have much more intelligence than them.
I keep seeing this and I think people assume it will be a 1:1 of Musk/Trump, its more about looking at characters like them in the real world and being able to think "Well heck, these dudes act, look, and feel like supervillains from a comic book" and applying particular parts that we can relate to in the real world and molding those onto Lex because he isn't really all that far off from those people.

He is Musk that DID invent all of the products he parades around with, he is a Trump-like character that started out as a rich businessman and slowly move into politics and divide the country/world and both have very narcissistic personalities. Musk was loved for a good while before the world started to hear and see his true side and Trump was just a rich goofball until he became President and opened his mouth.

Follow-up to a discussion on AI inside the official thread; I don't want to derail it any further.

When you walk, you have to make a lot of conscious navigational decisions on your journey. Trains and public transportation eliminate a significant portion of that process. You're no longer the driver. You're just sitting in a seat. You don't full understand where you're going and hoping for the best.

I don't think this is a good analogy.

I love Miyazaki and have nothing but respect for him, but Studio Ghibli (amongst a PLETHORA of other studios) have used computer generated imagery, which eliminates a significant portion of process that traditional/digital painters have to be conscious about for when they hand animate thousands of frames to make one sequence.

What do you mean by computer generated imagery? You're missing the point. I'm not talking about the labor involved in making art; I'm talking about creative decisions. If by "computer generated imagery" you mean CGI, then I'll just disagree: it still involves a massive amount of creative input from the artists.

If you're gonna call people out, at least be direct and not passive. Besides....I made this...

18540_295626565921_1607862_n.jpg

You probably had to make a lot of creative decisions when it came to that TDK piece. From mood to colors to composition.

AI destroys all of that. Your only creative input is now a prompt that you feed into a big-ass matrix.

...but please, continue preaching to me about how my view is invalid.

I'm truly sorry for my passive-aggressive statement. Wasn't my intention to antagonize you specifically. And I don't think your view is invalid. I just disagree with you.

I worry about a STAS inspired Brainiac being the villain. It’s my favorite take on the character i just worry about it feeling like a rehash of Superman II or MOS. In a lot of ways, Brainiac in STAS served as a more interesting stand-in for Zod. I know Gunn’s take will feel fresh, but I just still wish Snyder would’ve used Brainiac for MOS. It could’ve been a much more interesting movie with Brainiac (I’m not a Zod fan).

We don’t have all that many villains who can truly carry a film. Like I guess you could stretch it and make a movie with Metallo, Brainiac, or Parasite as the villains, but I think you would need Lex along with any of those.

Lex, Brainiac, Mister Mxyzptlk, Mongul, Darkseid, Lobo, Manchester Black (not a big fan), Gog, I feel like these could each carry a movie as the primary villain.

We don’t have all that many villains who can truly carry a film.
Really? I would disagree. I think that there are quite a few Superman villains who could carry a film. Eradicator would be a very good one to make the film more personal.
Braniac would be great and you could introduce him as a huge threat given his history with Krypton and with Kandor.
Mongul is a physical threat and an opposition of ideologies.
Parasite is an intellectual threat inasmuch as it is a “how do you stop something you cannot engage with” dilemma.
While I don’t like Manchester Black, I do like the idea of the Elite as it is once again a clash of ideologies (and a different one from Mongul.)
I would say no to Darkseid, but if you wanted him or some other alien presence to be funding Bruno Mannheim and Intergang, I’d be fine with that too.
And Rogol-Zaar…j/k. He’s a character that I would’ve come up with as a 5 year old trying to justify playing with a monster doll paired up with a Kenner Superpowers Superman action figure.

Your attempt to end the conversation is to call multiple posters, including a woman, "emotional".
Ahhh...the ol' technique of deliberately misrepresenting someone's position and skewing their words in order to make it easier to attack them, aka straw manning. It's good to be back at SHH!!!

While I don't agree with everything Snow Queen said (I actually agree with a lot), her post was the most logical, level-headed, and non-confrontational response out of all the replies to my posts which I found refreshing, so I actually wasn't even referring to her when I said "a lot of you" instead of "ALL of you". And I was in the middle of responding to her post before I realized that we were severely swaying off topic and the Mods were gonna jump in to stop it anyway. It's been a while since I regular visited the forums and I forgot we have lounges in every forum to migrate convos to, so instead of trying to end the convo, I offered anyone to DM me to continue the conversation. The fact that you felt the need to use gender politics in an attempt to make me seem sexist just shows how disingenuous you were being...but please continue misrepresenting other's viewpoints if it helps you feel better about yourself and thanks for reminding me why I stopped posting on these forums for a while.

Ahhh...the ol' technique of deliberately misrepresenting someone's position and skewing their words in order to make it easier to attack them, aka straw manning. It's good to be back at SHH!!!

While I don't agree with everything Snow Queen said (I actually agree with a lot), her post was the most logical, level-headed, and non-confrontational response out of all the replies to my posts which I found refreshing, so I actually wasn't even referring to her when I said "a lot of you" instead of "ALL of you". And I was in the middle of responding to her post before I realized that we were severely swaying off topic and the Mods were gonna jump in to stop it anyway. It's been a while since I regular visited the forums and I forgot we have lounges in every forum to migrate convos to, so instead of trying to end the convo, I offered anyone to DM me to continue the conversation. The fact that you felt the need to use gender politics in an attempt to make me seem sexist just shows how disingenuous you were being...but please continue misrepresenting other's viewpoints if it helps you feel better about yourself and thanks for reminding me why I stopped posting on these forums for a while.
"I actually was only insulting everyone ELSE by saying you're being emotional" is not really making anything better here. The reason you get confrontational responses is because you responded with things like equating it to public transportation, which is the kind of wild argument that it's impossible to take seriously. Your post cast a blanket over respondents, defining them as emotional with the held connotation being that this is unreasonable and therefore dismissable, and reads as an attempt to get a dig in on your way out the door. And, the way you chose to go about that, it wasn't just one person's "condescending sexism" alarm that went off. If your intention isn't to insult people, then I'd suggest you consider your words more carefully in the future.

"I actually was only insulting everyone ELSE by saying you're being emotional" is not really making anything better here.
Your post cast a blanket over respondents, defining them as emotional with the held connotation being that this is unreasonable and therefore dismissable...
I guess y'all are forgetting this part...
I can see a lot of you are emotional about AI "art", which is understandable.
You used words like "unreasonable" and "dismissible" to describe the post, which is in direct contradiction to me basically saying that "I understand". I didn't say "y'all are just being emotional". I didn't say "you being emotional nullifies your argument". I basically said that AI is a touchy subject to a lot of people. I will own that I could've worded it better, but on the flip side of the coin, it's also the case that it was absolutely misinterpreted for whatever reason. Either way, that's not a good enough reason to blatantly misrepresent my view and instigate further conflict amongst other Hypers. There never is.
And, the way you chose to go about that, it wasn't just one person's "condescending sexism" alarm that went off.
Why? Because I used the word "emotional" while referring to a non-descript group of people?
If your intention isn't to insult people, then I'd suggest you consider your words more carefully in the future.
The selective memory/lack of awareness here is staggering. Let me remind you of these gems...
I've heard this kind of statement from a lot of tech bros; it usually comes from people who don't have any real artistic atom in their bodies.
Do you know what AI is?

Are you unaware of what automation is?
These too can be interpreted as insults, yet I don't see you telling them to watch their words after such....CONDESCENDING (y'all LOVE that word) remarks.

I will fully own that I'm rusty when it comes to posting on forums where people can misinterpret my posts and that I could have worded my last post on the subject better but it'd be nice if that was across the board too.

I don’t like the Authority being in this movie tbh. I think Manchester Black will probably be one of the villains. I hope not though. Not a fan of Manchester Black- but I do like the Authority (I just don’t like them in the DC universe, they’re better on their own).

I guess y'all are forgetting this part...

You used words like "unreasonable" and "dismissible" to describe the post, which is in direct contradiction to me basically saying that "I understand". I didn't say "y'all are just being emotional". I didn't say "you being emotional nullifies your argument". I basically said that AI is a touchy subject to a lot of people. I will own that I could've worded it better, but on the flip side of the coin, it's also the case that it was absolutely misinterpreted for whatever reason. Either way, that's not a good enough reason to blatantly misrepresent my view and instigate further conflict amongst other Hypers. There never is.

Why? Because I used the word "emotional" while referring to a non-descript group of people?

The selective memory/lack of awareness here is staggering. Let me remind you of these gems...

These too can be interpreted as insults, yet I don't see you telling them to watch their words after such....CONDESCENDING (y'all LOVE that word) remarks.

I will fully own that I'm rusty when it comes to posting on forums where people can misinterpret my posts and that I could have worded my last post on the subject better but it'd be nice if that was across the board too.
If you insult someone and then say it's understandable, it's still an insult.

It's not an insult to ask a question, when someone shows a potential lack of understanding of something. Especially when they make outlandish comparisons that show a legit lack of understanding of the conversation.

I've read all the messages in this conversation. Let's not be coy about intent. You made it very clear to me.

I don't think this is a good analogy.
Fair enough. My intention was to show how some of the circumstances surrounding AI can be applied to most significant innovations through history. AI removes steps. Public transportation also removes steps...well...literally!

What do you mean by computer generated imagery? You're missing the point. I'm not talking about the labor involved in making art; I'm talking about creative decisions. If by "computer generated imagery" you mean CGI, then I'll just disagree: it still involves a massive amount of creative input from the artists.
Well CGI literally stands for "computer generated imagery". I hear what you're saying about the removing some of the creative decisions but AI "art" requires it's own set of creative decisions as well. It takes a lot of trial and error to get the image close to what you want. Sometimes it spits out something that looks like a nightmare. You have to explore prompts and feed it different references and even then, sometimes it needs to be edited in Photoshop to add or remove certain details. It removes a lot of the process in the same way CGI removes a lot of the animation process and the same way Photoshop removes a lot of the practical process (buying materials, prepping the canvas, mixing paints/colors, safely storing the canvas, etc) but it also presents it's own set of challenges.

You probably had to make a lot of creative decisions when it came to that TDK piece. From mood to colors to composition.
While you're not wrong, it's also the case that AI gives you pretty generic, lifeless images unless you specify exactly what you want. You have to describe things such as "dark, gritty mood", "rich colors", or "wide shot" in order to fine tune the image to what you REALLY want it to be. It's still a creative process...just a different, faster one. Same as drawing digitally vs practically. Using the lasso tool to resize or reposition a body part is a lot faster and convenient than erasing that body part on a piece of paper and redrawing it.

I'm truly sorry for my passive-aggressive statement. Wasn't my intention to antagonize you specifically. And I don't think your view is invalid. I just disagree with you.
I understand. Thanks for that, and I also apologize for misinterpreting your intention. Disagreements are what keep these boards interesting so keep on keepin' on!

Last edited:
I posted this in the News thread but I just realized it's better suited for the lounge...

Happy Superman Day y'all!! What was one of the fondest memories you have regarding Superman? Could be comics, movies, games, whatever!

My favorite memory was seeing a postcard photo of Christopher Reeve as Superman at the age of 4 and thinking "OMG HE'S REAL?!?!" This was back when I believed in Santa and the Tooth Fairy so when I saw Reeve as Superman it blew my mind. I was shown the movie soon afterwards and I've been in love with Superman ever since!

Happy superman day! For me of course growing up with the reeve film, it was considered the most mind blowing theme growing up. “You’ve got me? Who’s got you!?” Iconic.

I’ll always be grateful to superman for showing there’s always an opportunity to show kindness

Yeah I must admit the moment I saw Tyler I was like “oh that’s superman”. He was perfect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"