• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Superman Returns The FUTURE of Superman Movies...

DarkSuperman

Sidekick
Reaction score
I liked Superman returns, but I found myself wishing it had the post crisis super scientist Machiavellian Criminal Kingpin Lex as opposed to the regular criminal Lex that we got in Superman Returns. My biggest gripe with Superman Returns is that it didnt show us anything new...I mean its basically a Re-do of the Donner Film with new effects. Nice and everything. But I wanted to see a BRAND NEW Superman film. Nevertheless...I enjoyed it.

Does anyone think its possible that in the future sequels Lex will find some way to clear himself of all the crimes that he committed in the 1st film? I think this is highly likely seeing as though ALL evidence against him is circumstantial and hearsay. Besides...Look at our legal system how many murderers do we let go free because of "Reasonable doubt"

ANYWAY...is it possible that now that the Superman Mythos has been reintroduced Singer will take the franchise in a more post crisis direction? Picking up a few years after the 1st movie with Lex owning LexCorp and being more like he is in the comics? :supes:

I think we need a powerful supervillain for Superman to face in a sequel. By all means make Lex the head of Lexcorp, but don't make him the main villain. He could be in the background, maybe trying to turn the public against Superman.

as long as singer is of the franchise then sure it has a bright future. the man is too stuck in th past and by that i mean pre-crisis donner

Thunder Emperor said:
as long as singer is of the franchise then sure it has a bright future. the man is too stuck in th past and by that i mean pre-crisis donner

DEFINITELY too stuck in the past...Lex should be more like Emperor Palpatine NEVER, EVER, EVER...dirtying his hands unless he feels the game is already won or he gets personal gratification from it. Hopefully in the Sequel Lex will be the CEO of LexCorp will be a leading military defense contractor and be manufacturing advanced weaponry to illegally sell to terrorists all the while behind the scenes orchestrating some sort of plot to bring down the man of steel, possibly using a GOOD henchmen A la Metallo or any number of the plethora of cool Super Villains in the DC universe.

I would love to see Lex Luthor try to make contact with some sort of alien lifeform in addition to all that LexCorp stuff...possibly Brainiac or Darkseid. That would kick ass.

DarkSuperman said:
DEFINITELY too stuck in the past...Lex should be more like Emperor Palpatine NEVER, EVER, EVER...dirtying his hands unless he feels the game is already won or he gets personal gratification from it. Hopefully in the Sequel Lex will be the CEO of LexCorp will be a leading military defense contractor and be manufacturing advanced weaponry to illegally sell to terrorists all the while behind the scenes orchestrating some sort of plot to bring down the man of steel, possibly using a GOOD henchmen A la Metallo or any number of the plethora of cool Super Villains in the DC universe.

I would love to see Lex Luthor try to make contact with some sort of alien lifeform in addition to all that LexCorp stuff...possibly Brainiac or Darkseid. That would kick ass.

i agree, we should be writing the next script of that basis

Conundrum said:
I think we need a powerful supervillain for Superman to face in a sequel. By all means make Lex the head of Lexcorp, but don't make him the main villain. He could be in the background, maybe trying to turn the public against Superman.

Sadly, we'll never see that in a Singerman film. He's too stuck in the Donner era to move forward with a Post-Crisis approach. His tweedle dee and tweedle dum writing team can't put together a good story, and will only serve as Singer's yes men. They need real writers. No wonder Singer uses these guys. They're yes men chumps to feed his fragile ego.

I keep thinking this will all be a bad dream and we'll wake from it, and there will be no Superson and Superdad from Singerman. Instead we'll get a reboot and relaunch that's epic and full of characterization, visuals and action. Not a flat underwhelming attempt. This was supposed to be Singer's crown jewel. It's turning out to be Singer's piece of coal. Someone needs to squeeze a diamond out of this piece of coal.

First thing that needs to go is Singer, and the second is that poor excuse for a writing team.

dpm07 said:
Sadly, we'll never see that in a Singerman film. He's too stuck in the Donner era to move forward with a Post-Crisis approach. His tweedle dee and tweedle dum writing team can't put together a good story, and will only serve as Singer's yes men. They need real writers. No wonder Singer uses these guys. They're yes men chumps to feed his fragile ego.

I keep thinking this will all be a bad dream and we'll wake from it, and there will be no Superson and Superdad from Singerman. Instead we'll get a reboot and relaunch that's epic and full of characterization, visuals and action. Not a flat underwhelming attempt. This was supposed to be Singer's crown jewel. It's turning out to be Singer's piece of coal. Someone needs to squeeze a diamond out of this piece of coal.

First thing that needs to go is Singer, and the second is that poor excuse for a writing team.

I agree that the writing team is pretty mediocre, but you're a bit more bitter about it than me. :)

dpm07 said:

They are pretty much yes men...and we really have no one else to blame for the things we dont like about the movie besides Singer. The entire thing was his concept. He made them write the movie based on his stupid "lets use vague history" idea. Not that they could have made the film spectacular if left to their own devices mind you...

I've recently read the review of the new Wolverine script and I can say that sounds REALLY REALLY good...the Wolverine movie will be better than ALL the X-films but together. WHY? BECAUSE THE WRITER DID 5 MINS of RESEARCH AND IS GOOD.

It makes me a little upset when directors only use their friends to make movies, I dont mind when they're talented and proven capable, but just to do it because they're at ARMS LENGTH...isn't the way to go. Especially when you're screwing with SUPERMAN the hero of Millions.

DarkSuperman said:
They are pretty much yes men...and we really have no one else to blame for the things we dont like about the movie besides Singer. The entire thing was his concept. He made them write the movie based on his stupid "lets use vague history" idea. Not that they could have made the film spectacular if left to their own devices mind you...

I've recently read the review of the new Wolverine script and I can say that sounds REALLY REALLY good...the Wolverine movie will be better than ALL the X-films but together. WHY? BECAUSE THE WRITER DID 5 MINS of RESEARCH AND IS GOOD.

It makes me a little upset when directors only use their friends to make movies, I dont mind when they're talented and proven capable, but just to do it because they're at ARMS LENGTH...isn't the way to go. Especially when you're screwing with SUPERMAN the hero of Millions.

Billions!! :D

Well I think Lex should be more powerful and gaining in popularity through charity in Metropolis, but for him to jump to CEO in 5 seconds is a joke.

Have him build to that for the third movie I say. And Singer needs to come back but go in other directions. I'd say Brainiac but that is too similar to Zod in SII. Maybe Darkseid then? How about Darkseid teaming up with Lex, then?

The future for superman movies is unfortunately looking very bleak, insecure and dark since SR is bombing on the first round.

DarkSuperman said:

Just proves that FOX cares about their franchises unfortunately they have hired lot of wrong script writers for their comic book movies.

Hopefully the new script writer (road to perdition) who has come for writing F4-2 can deliver. source: IMDB

BUT i just realised that FOX screws up all their comic book movies when it come to editing. SO i think WOLVERINE will suffer too.

antariksh said:
Just proves that FOX cares about their franchises unfortunately they have hired lot of wrong script writers for their comic book movies.

That they spend $230 million X-men 3 in order to rush it out in May instead of making the movie better proves that they could care less.

Do you honestly mean to tell me that Fox cares about Alien/Predator franchises after the farce that was AVP and the farce that will be AVP 2?

Keep living in your fantasy world.

Hopefully the new script writer (road to perdition) who has come for writing F4-2 can deliver. source: IMDB

Please. Do you have an actual LEGITIMATE source other than IMDB for that crap? One that doesn't come from a mostly user-submitted site that says Aunt May is playing Carnage?

i just LOVE how everyone is still stuck in 1978.... serious its 2006 VILLAINS are more sadistic and crazy times have changed CAMPY CRAP IS OUT... DOWN TO EARTH BELIEVABILTY IS IN!!!

I haven't seen anything that suggests that the road to perdition writer has anything to do with F4-2.

Anyway back on point. I think the only way the superman franchise can be saved is if they actually use the comics as a source and not just some movie from 1978. They need to take note of the post crisis canon. I mean Jesus Christ there's already been ANOTHER crisis since the last one...Singer and his lack luster team need to step up their game. Every incarnation of Superman since the early 90's has had LexCorp Lex, but singer wants to ignore the more popular and useful characterization because Donner's work gives him a *****. Everyone knows that the best villains are the ones you cant prove are villains, thus they not only get away with their crimes, but they continue to garner the support of good people who dont know otherwise. I mean look at criminals like John Gotti, he was the head of the mafia yet he donated money to charity and had BBQ's for the neighborhood, GENIUS! This is the true conflict of Lex and Superman. The more interesting conflict. Not some looney story about a Super-Bastard.

Such, Unrealized potential saddens me. Because they had the opportunity to make the DEFINITIVE Superman without any mistakes like plastic wrap "S" shields or turning back time. Because the Lex I know doesnt just want power, he wants the respect and adoration of the people. Basically what Superman has, and until they incorporate Lex as not just some run of the mill common criminal but as the Genius Super Scientist and Billionare Industrialist that he is and has been for decades...its only gonna get worse.

Singer is ALWAYS talking about looking back at the Well-spring of information and source material they have to draw from...logically a normal person would say "Hey! They're gonna give us something really cool from the COMICS" which is the DEFINITIVE souce mind you. But Noooooo...thats not what singer cares about Superman Returns although a good movie is nothing more than a REDO of a 1978 movie. I dont want that...I already have C Reeve and Donner for that. I wanted something new and original...to move past a Krypton where people wore Aluminum Foil and Superman's father looking like Santa Clause.

If it were up to me I'd have corporate-style Lex finally on the big screen, controlling from behind the scenes, with direct (but unknown to others) involvement with a super-villain that can stand toe to toe with Supes.

-I'd clear up the kid issue by having Superman and Lois having a proper on screen 'talk' about it (not too long or boring though, getting to the details). The kid would have little screen time, and would be shown living happily with Lois while Superman watches over him. It seems the kid isn't fully powered like Supes, and can only occassionally use his powers. I would get rid of any speculation of a Super-kid sidekick for the time being (and hopefully forever). He will just live a normal life for now.

-I would include an epic shirt rip. One of my major gripes was that SR's one was too anti-climatic! But it was made up for by the brilliant plane rescue.

-I would have a classic, very aggressive Superman and Lex confrontation. Not necessarily physical, but very edgy and serious, as if any moment Superman is about to punch Lex's head straight off. Supes is mega-pissed at Lex for endangering Lois and his son's life, and for stabbing him in the back.

-A massive battle with a super-villain. Toe to toe with Superman. Gods fighting in the street.

I have more but I'll leave it for now!

EDIT:

One more thing.

I'd have tension between Lois and Richard. Perhaps resulting in them parting ways after Richard learns the truth and sees Lois is still in love with Superman. The idea of being a father and having a family to come home to will be very tempting for Superman, and he considers marriage and family life (NO! This does not mean hanging up the cape!).

As long as Singer can move past his 'Donner Love' (something I am sure WB will demand) and they dont use Lex or Zod as main villians I will be happy.

I want to see superman to find a way to have an affair with lois. You know what.. scratch that. it's clear who really loves superman in returns and hasn't abandoned him.

JIMMY. Yes. would anyone be unhappy with this pairing? he's the most loyal to clark/supes than anyone in the movie afterall.

I believe superman and jimmy will be come very close in the sequel. It seems to be heading in that direction if you ask me...

Galactical said:
I believe superman and jimmy will be come very close in the sequel. It seems to be heading in that direction if you ask me...

:rolleyes:

I maybe deranged, but I would like to see Kingdom Come brought to the screen!

rduce said:
I maybe deranged, but I would like to see Kingdom Come brought to the screen!

As much as I loved SR, I think Singer should have went with a different route for the story.

He should have had an older Superman (played by Jim Caviezel) return after a catastrophic event takes place on Earth and bring hope back to a cynical world. The story would combine elements from Kingdom Come and Action Comics #775 (probably my favorite Superman story of all time).

Superman could have left Earth because heroes like Manchester Black, the Elite, and the young punks in KC were taking over, and people were beginning to get sick of the whole "nice guy, boyscout" attitude. It would be a nice reflection of how our world is today, where people want their heroes to be dark and edgy.

The Eradicator said:
As much as I loved SR, I think Singer should have went with a different route for the story.

He should have had an older Superman (played by Jim Caviezel) return after a catastrophic event takes place on Earth and bring hope back to a cynical world. The story would combine elements from Kingdom Come and Action Comics #775 (probably my favorite Superman story of all time).

Superman could have left Earth because heroes like Manchester Black, the Elite, and the young punks in KC were taking over, and people were beginning to get sick of the whole "nice guy, boyscout" attitude. It would be a nice reflection of how our world is today, where people want their heroes to be dark and edgy.

If he was going with an already established Superman, I'd say Caviezel would have been a great choice.

If he's doing a restart, then it may have needed to be someone else.

At any rate, Singer was bound and determined to ape the Donner film, and he did, and now he's really mucked things up for any new director that might come in, not to mention his worthless writing team of Harris and Daughterty who along with Singer gave us Superson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"