"The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
“No no, Jared, everyone loves you. The fans love your Joker. In fact, you can have your own movie too.”

How are they all over the place? Their previous announcements were, sure. But since then, there is no indication that that's the case. Hamada seems to be tightening things up, and the only items receiving attention are movies that have been green lit and have tentative production dates.

Or do you just deem that it's "all over the place" because some of the movies they're making don't align with the "main story" :whatever:

Seriously? You think everything’s tickety boo, do you? All going extremely well, is it? All is fine?

Let’s see...

No Superman movie. A ‘completed’ script for Batman, and no-one cast in the part. An Aquaman movie in the same continuity that bombed last time out, that everyone’s hanging the future of the DC cinematic universe on. A Shazam movie that feels like a spiritual sequel to Jingle All The Way. No confirmed Green Lantern movie. Maybe a Flash movie starring a Flash who failed to connect with the audience last time out. A New Gods movie, probably outside any other continuity. A Joker origin movie with no Batman, and a Thomas Wayne potentially based on Trump. Another Joker movie, completely divorced from the other one. A Birds Of Prey movie in the continuity nobody likes. A Supergirl movie, maybe in the continuity nobody likes, but maybe not, but maybe. Suicide Squad 2- the sequel to a universally hated movie.....

Does that really sound fine to you? Even when ignoring what’s going on over at the other major comics company.....

This train doesn’t stop rolling, and it’s rolling into the mountainside.

Seriously? You think everything’s tickety boo, do you? All going extremely well, is it? All is fine?

Let’s see...

No Superman movie. A ‘completed’ script for Batman, and no-one cast in the part. An Aquaman movie in the same continuity that bombed last time out, that everyone’s hanging the future of the DC cinematic universe on. A Shazam movie that feels like a spiritual sequel to Jingle All The Way. No confirmed Green Lantern movie. Maybe a Flash movie starring a Flash who failed to connect with the audience last time out. A New Gods movie, probably outside any other continuity. A Joker origin movie with no Batman, and a Thomas Wayne potentially based on Trump. Another Joker movie, completely divorced from the other one. A Birds Of Prey movie in the continuity nobody likes. A Supergirl movie, maybe in the continuity nobody likes, but maybe not, but maybe. Suicide Squad 2- the sequel to a universally hated movie.....

Does that really sound fine to you? Even when ignoring what’s going on over at the other major comics company.....

Credit where it's due, that THR report from earlier this year made it sound like Hamada knows exactly how bad things are over at WB/DC which is at least a good starting point. I believe the exact word an insider used was "**** show", so at least they aren't in denial about it like a good deal of fans have been for years.

Not saying that means all their problems are going away, but it's a sign that things might be getting better from here.

As far as The Batman is concerned, last we heard Reeves isn't turning the script in until after Labor Day. And while the role may not be officially cast yet, we don't know how far into negotiations he may or may not be with an actor. But again, kinda hard to do anything without a script locked in.

That film's moving forward just fine. Absolutely nothing to stress about at this point.

As far as The Batman is concerned, last we heard Reeves isn't turning the script in until after Labor Day. And while the role may not be officially cast yet, we don't know how far into negotiations he may or may not be with an actor. But again, kinda hard to do anything without a script locked in.

That film's moving forward just fine. Absolutely nothing to stress about at this point.

Agreed. That movie has a great director and I'm certain WB/DC is going to make sure their most valuable property is out as soon as it can in the best shape possible. It's Superman's absence on their slate that bums me out the most.

Let’s see...

You are by far the most dramatic poster on this board.

I'm going to stick to bullet points on this one:

- Batman - script is nearing completion. I imagine we'll hear casting news somewhat soon (assuredly by the end of the year). BREATHEEEEEE MAN, BREATHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
- RE: Aquaman - so what's your solution? Reboot everything? Scrap WW and Aquaman?
- Shazam - already forming premature opinions on a movie that hasn't been released? Classic m1ll3r.
- Then what is Geoff Johns writing about? They're clearly working on it, and the new standard at DC seems to be announcing movies when they're ready, and not the second after they have an idea (which, as we've seen, often isn't very good. Ie. Letoker solo movie).
- New Gods movie - who cares if it's outside current continuity? We haven't seen enough of that universe for it to clash with anything. I'm starting to think you just love the Marvel format, and aren't willing to accept something different.
- Birds of Prey - continuity might be disliked, but characters were immensely popular. Make a good movie with a fan favourite character, and you're laughing it all the way to the bank.
- Joker movie - I don't recall any confirmations on the Thomas Wayne character. Just assumptions based on some casting info. I have zero problems with an elseworlds label that sits outside of the current continuity. I want to see them embrace their creativity, and explore ideas that might not have been otherwise considered under the previous regime. They're doing a proverbial reset on the current continuity (or maybe re-brand is a better term), while diversifying their product through elseworld tales. Sounds like a smart idea to separate themselves from Marvel.
- Supergirl - don't have enough info to form an opinion. I don't see why they can't utilize the current continuity and "re-brand". Either way, they're still being compared to the previous movies and their poor critical reception.
- Suicide Squad 2: see Birds of Prey comment.

Yep. It honestly doesn't sound bad at all. Movies are progressing, they're slowing things down, and hopefully we'll see an uptick in quality. The only thing missing is a MOS sequel, but that sounds like it's bogged down in contract issues.

I don't think the "train" is barrelling into a mountainside. I think you're being extremely dramatic. The world isn't ending, you can relax.

I don't think the "train" is barrelling into a mountainside. I think you're being extremely dramatic. The world isn't ending, you can relax.

The point is the the DCEU has been extremely erratic up to this point. More than enough examples have been brought up that should demonstrate how it has not been smooth sailing up to this point. Recasting the Joker character so soon is an example of how volatile the creative process is right now.

You can put your head in the sand and yell, "this is going great! WB is totally happy!" all you want.. but it's obvious that this has been a bumpy start with a fluctuating strategy. That's what "all over the place" means.

WB should just start making DC Elseworlds movies from now on, all unconnected to each other.

Credit where it's due, that THR report from earlier this year made it sound like Hamada knows exactly how bad things are over at WB/DC which is at least a good starting point. I believe the exact word an insider used was "**** show", so at least they aren't in denial about it like a good deal of fans have been for years.

Not saying that means all their problems are going away, but it's a sign that things might be getting better from here.

Possibly! But I honestly think the best thing they could have done is reboot the whole continuity, rather than limping on with it in the half-arsed manner that they are. And yes... that includes **** canning Aquaman and subsequent movies in the DCEU.

Now some may scream with rage and derision at that notion - but let’s just see how ridiculous it sounds after the Aquaman & Shazam box office receipts have been taken in...

You are by far the most dramatic poster on this board.

You should see me on a Friday night in Soho. I’m like a one man stage show (not one you’d pay for, mind).

... oh, and my reasons for thinking Aquaman will do badly has nothing to do with what I’ve seen of it... and everything to do with what’s come before it.

Last edited:
Can we get Alec Baldwin as Dr. Simon Hurt in a future movie?

Possibly! But I honestly think the best thing they could have done is reboot the whole continuity, rather than limping on with it in the half-arsed manner that they are. And yes... that includes **** canning Aquaman and subsequent movies in the DCEU.

Now some may scream with rage and derision at that notion - but let’s just see how ridiculous it sounds after the Aquaman & Shazam box office receipts have been taken in...

Obviously this won't happen, but the best move, I think, is not to make any sequels to Aquaman or Shazam. Just make them one and dones and close this continuity off with Wonder Woman 3 (Probably in 2021 or 2022). Then after about 5-8 years, reboot the whole universe from scratch, with a better creative team and plan in place.

It bloody is for the general audience, who are just going to be confused when this movie comes out...

And not to sound like a broken record, but it's them who make these movies successes... not people on superhero forums.

They'd better make a HUGE deal out of this film being off in another continuity for the audience to not be confused as ****. This is WB, so I don't hold out that much hope.

I agree with you, the general audience, the girlfriend who doesn't keep up with this kinda stuff, the father wondering if his son will like it or go to it, is batman in it? The guy who is just wondering what movie to watch, the kids who will wonder where the tattoos are - honestly it really isn't hard to see how some will be confused. I work in a school and some kids were annoyed wight he batman lego movie as it wasn't like bVs and i explained it's a different version and a comedy.

It's only until marketing really kicks off that people will realise it's in a separate world.

Thing is, will Phoenix want to do sequels if the studio wants to?

Baldwin has tweeted about his casting...

I agree with you, the general audience, the girlfriend who doesn't keep up with this kinda stuff, the father wondering if his son will like it or go to it, is batman in it? The guy who is just wondering what movie to watch, the kids who will wonder where the tattoos are - honestly it really isn't hard to see how some will be confused. I work in a school and some kids were annoyed wight he batman lego movie as it wasn't like bVs and i explained it's a different version and a comedy.

It's only until marketing really kicks off that people will realise it's in a separate world.

Thing is, will Phoenix want to do sequels if the studio wants to?

What’s really going to throw WB’s poor decisions into sharp focus is when Disney completely reboot the X Men universe from scratch... and make far more money than the DCEU movies do.

Thomas Wayne makes his wife have an abortion.

There.

Joaker with a king of comedy wig.

Isn't this flick from a Joker pov? Not shocked at the possibility of any Wayne family member coming off as slimy ppl. lol

https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/29/alec-baldwin-joker-movie/amp/

So, was it just a joke?

Alec Baldwin has dropped out of the Joker movie, EW has confirmed.

The surprise move comes just days after Warner Bros. confirmed his casting as Thomas Wayne, the father of Batman/Bruce Wayne.

The actor told USA Today: “I’m no longer doing that movie” and seemingly dissed the role by adding, “I’m sure there are 25 guys who can play that part.” He also cited “scheduling” issues.

LOLLLLLL

Well, Frank Caliendo is still available.

This is what he tweeted: "Let me state, for the record, that I have NOT been hired to play a role in Todd Phillips’ JOKER as some Donald Trump manque. That is not happening. Not. Happening."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"