The Dark Knight The music

dcbats2000

Civilian
Reaction score
I already started a thread on the visual style of Batman Begins and was there any need for changes.

Now, I move on to the music...

I know some felt Batman Begins had a pretty generic score. I suppose this could be that there was no real memorable theme. In my opinion, it's also pretty hard to top what Danny Elfman did for the Tim Burton films.

So, would you like James Newton-Howard and Hans Zimmer to return? If not, who would make a good replacement?

~DcBats2000~

I really liked the score for Begins. Something like the Elfman score would probably not have worked for the ''Less Is More'' approach Begins took. So I have no problems with them returning, but I think they might choose another composer for DK.

I dont get the Elfman man-love. IMO the music from BTAS was better, though I do know based off of Elfman's work - but I dont think either really fits with Nolan's universe.

It really doesn't matter to me if they stay or leave. I just want a more consistent theme that just screams "Batman". BB's soundtrack did sound pretty generic.

I loved everything about the score from Begins, except that fact that grounded "theme" wasn't really given to the fans. I mean, there kinda was, but it was like used only 3 times throughout the movie and was only for about 5-7 seconds long.

IMO the only mistake with Batman Begins was not keeping the Elfman score, it was a lot more gripping and affecting than the new one, which I found barely noticeable.

You guys don't get it. Batman SHOULDN'T have a theme, because the movie is based in REALITY....all superheroes have theme songs, and now Batman is the first to NOT have one. That's because he shouldn't be looked at as a superhero.......He's NOT a superhero. Therefore, he should NOT have a theme. Having a theme basically brings cheese to the character and loses its realism. It's like Superman, where something bad happens and then its like "Here comes the cheesy fanfare!!" where you now EXPECT Clark to open his shirt and reveal the "S"....at this point, you're EXPECTING a big impossible action scene. Having a theme creates a FORMULA, and everything becomes predictable and expected.
That's not Batman. Batman shouldn't have a cheesy fanfare. I don't want to go to a parade and see a marching band blaring Batman's music. That should NEVER happen. Batman should have HORROR music. It should be dark and terrifying. I don't want to hear spiritually uplifting, heroic, marching band music. It's just WRONG.
I say NO to a theme. Keep that in the cartoony movies.

TempleFugit said:
Having a theme basically brings cheese to the character and loses its realism.

Personally I don't find Terminator cheesy.

I don't think that the score for Begins was generic at all . . . it was very dramatic, which tends to use the structure musically, and as far as chord progression, etc.; I think it's hard for some to separate themselves from the colorful compositions that Elfman contributed to the first 2 BM flicks, which ultimately became definitive in a sense

I say we get Prince to score the film :D

They should get whoever do the scores for the MGS series.

R_Hythlodeus said:
hell yeah!:up:

A day's work has been completed when just one noob gives me a "hell yeah"

i want hans zimmer and james newton howard... why does everybody want a batman theme... the music is to set the tone, y'know... and zimmer and howard did an amazing job!

I enjoyed the Begins score. When I hear Molossus I think Batman. The Elfman score is great but when you think about it really is over the top and wouldn't have fit with what Nolan was going for.

Now then....I'm sure everyone on the board was getting goosebumps when they first saw Bale as Bats take down Scarecrow's crew at Arkham, get's Rachel from Gordon, and exits in the Tumbler while hearing Molossus playing....lol. :)

dcbats2000 said:
I already started a thread on the visual style of Batman Begins and was there any need for changes.

Now, I move on to the music...

I know some felt Batman Begins had a pretty generic score. I suppose this could be that there was no real memorable theme. In my opinion, it's also pretty hard to top what Danny Elfman did for the Tim Burton films.

So, would you like James Newton-Howard and Hans Zimmer to return? If not, who would make a good replacement?

~DcBats2000~

Nolan and two composers aren't there to top Burton/Elfman connection.

And yes I want them to return to score THE DARK KNIGHT

If the Elfman score had been kept, ties would have been made to the Burton films. Since this is a restart, that would be a bad idea.

While Batman Begins didn't have a standout theme, the score still was very powerful.

I wasn't saying bring back Danny Elfman. I agree that would tie it with the previous films too much.

Just curious to what other composers could deliver good Batman style music.

I just always think a choir adds a certain atmosphere to Batman. Think Batman: Mask of The Phantasm.

*shrugs* But this is just my opinion.

~DcBats2000~

i loved the score for begins. it was quite untraditional for a "superhero" movie and it was very dark and heavy. parts of it actually remind a bit of blade runner.
i dont get how everyone says there was no theme though. mollosus (sp?) was definately the hero theme and i thought it was quite obvious.
keep howard and zimmer please but maybe tone down the fanfare a bit.

edit: double post sorry.

btw im listening to begins right now and there are definately a few noticable themes. they are just more subtle than elfman's (which i loved btw)

DV8 said:
A day's work has been completed when just one noob gives me a "hell yeah"
would you be so kind and take a look at my join date before you call me a noob?

That's the problem with comparisions, as magnificent as Elfman score is, this franchise is doing very very good about the music. BB score is truly fantastic no matter if anything else was more memorable or anything. They should keep the main theme and the composers of course.

Great, now we have yet another thread on the first page of this forum for more pointless Elfman vs Zimmer/Howard bickering. :(

Damn you, Weyseed! :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"