The Dark Knight The music

i dk about everyone else, but ever since i saw BB i can't think of Batman without the Begins theme popping up in my head. it definitely has the "dark" quality that Nolan wants for the franchise, but at the same time it has an "epic" sound that captures the so-called mythic aspects of the Batman character. my only complaint is that it wasn't prominent enough. one of the reviews i read for BB was that the music was kind of subdued, and they were right, so i figure all they need to do is amp it up a little. i just can't wait to hear the Joker's theme!

El Payaso said:
That's the problem with comparisions, as magnificent as Elfman score is, this franchise is doing very very good about the music. BB score is truly fantastic no matter if anything else was more memorable or anything. They should keep the main theme and the composers of course.

I agree, I loved the BB score.

Zimmer and Howard both did a terrific job with the Begins score. It was dark, moody, mysterious, cerebral, and epic. Basically, all of the qualities of Batman;) . Which begs another question. If only one of those composers could come back, which one would you choose?

Fenrir said:
Great, now we have yet another thread on the first page of this forum for more pointless Elfman vs Zimmer/Howard bickering. :(

Damn you, Weyseed! :mad:

The point is that the BB score is good (or bad, if anyone wants to think that way) independently of Elfman's work. It's really annoying that in every thread that tries to emphasize the goodness of one movie, that is done through calling someone else's work 'weak' or any other derogatory term. Elfman's score was magnificent, memorable, dark, epic and gave B89 a great feeling. Ok. BB score was really good too. But it was good because of its own merits, not because Elfman was "not good".

upscopy2fa3essl2.jpg

DA Harvey Dent said:

WTF are you talking about? There are actually good discussions occuring in this thread. So, ****.:o

Mr. Vice said:
WTF are you talking about? There are actually good discussions occuring in this thread. So, ****.:o

Guess it doesn't take much to impress you.

I think the music for BTAS and especially Mask of the Phantasm is an excellent benchmark for Batman in the gritty realism sense.

Elfman's music was perfect for Burton's films, but I do not think that it fits Nolan's treatment of the character.

For the Dark Knight - I would love it if Nolan dumped Hans Zimmer and let James Newton Howard do the entire score. There would be continuity to a degree in doing so with Batman Begins, but I think he would take Batman to what most of us Batman fans consider to be a signature music style given what was done in TAS. His music would probably come closer to what Shirley Walker did with MOTP - and he has an impeccable talent for using gothic choir with full orchestra.

If you can grab and listen to 'Tarawa" from 'Snow on White Cedars', or even 'The Great Eatlon' from 'Lady in the Water' scores, you can get a taste of what Newton-Howard might be able to bring to the Dark Knight table - and make many of us fans even happier, seeing that while we do like the music in Batman Begins, many of us think that was the weakest aspect of the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"