The Official Aquaman costume thread!

I think it has something that looks scale like or evokes the scales but I don't know from the picture either 100% either.

I can't wait to get a good look at that new costume.
I absolutely love the way he looks in BvS but this new one looks even better. :atp:

I was one of the people who initially didn't care for his BvS costume, glad Snyder is going for something a little more traditional.

I was one of the people who initially didn't care for his BvS costume, glad Snyder is going for something a little more traditional.

That of course depends on ones definition of traditional. The "gladiator" look for Arthur was a long standing one. If by traditional we mean the green bottom with gold/orange top, well, there's no telling with an unfinished product. We still see Jason with the long hair in that tweet remember. The classic suit and the beard was a really short transition to the "gladiator" themed AM.

And yet again I visit this place earlier than planned...

Regarding that Aquaman costume, I did some detective work (read - have starred at the zoomed-in photo for two days and made some comparisons :woot:) and I am 90% positive that it does not have a scale mail on it, but is in fact a bronze Roman muscle cuirass (which was the idea I considered before, since it works very well with the Retiarius gladiator aesthetic, so, naturally, I am happy they seemingly went in this direction :oldrazz:) which has the pretty much same pattern Momoa wears on his body in the form of tattoos.

Pic of the muscle cuirass:
d4dc1e12fe53e695fb7521c759a02edc.jpg

Pic of zoomed-in costume:
mb77tv.jpg

What looks to me like the exactly same pattern as tattoos on Momoa's body and lines on the armor:
2912444.jpg

iy31wy.jpg

2ee8vfp.jpg

2dvkfx0.jpg

Now, Retiarius gladiators didn't wear such armors, none of the gladiators did, for two reasons - they were for most part bare-chested with minimal armor (why bother when they're gonna die anyway, and distress a perfectly good armor in the process :p) and muscle cuirasses were worn only by the generals and emperors (and gods in some of their depictions), not even common soldiers had them... so it is certainly fitting for a king.

Now, I understand some of you would prefer the more classic look with the full scale mail. Problem is though that out of all JL members, Aquaman's costume remains the most nonsensical one in the comics, even after the more "realistic" New 52 look the characters got. Thing is, there was never a full sleeved scale mail like the one Aquaman wears in comics. Unlike chainmail, it would obstruct movability of the arms (which would be quite a bugger in a fight) and it would be even less possible for an armor of that sort to be able to look streamlined and stay close to the body in an aesthetically pleasing way like it does on Arthur in the comic books. Historically, there were some "long sleeved" chain mails, but those did not cover inner arms and were also pretty rare. Point of such armors is to cover the chest while trying to as less as possible get in a way of the wearers flexibility.

So, again, if it's the muscle cuirass they went with as from this pic I assume they did, I like it, as it allows them to go for the comic book-like muscled upper body look all of the male JL characters seem to have (which would be lost if it were a scale-mail cuirass), but in a way that is factually accurate and works well with the Retiarius Roman-inspired aesthetic of Momoa's Aquaman (and, of course, '90s Aquaman). And not just that, but the fact that Momoa's tattoos are actually meant to represent real armor (even down to the Mandarin collar on his neck) also goes perfectly in line with the use of Polynesian tattoos which are indeed meant to provide protection and act as an "armor" to the person wearing them. And the very shape of these muscle cuirasses creates that same arc for the "A" belt New 52 Aquaman has. So it's very clever approach by Wilkinson.

I think triangles and spearheads will emulate the chain mail look in parts though... not sure what's going on in the pecs area, but if the armor remains truly faithful to Momoa's tattoos, there should be triangles there as well as the waist area. And I believe that the new pauldron/manica strap has some triangles on it as well... there is definitely some pattern going on there.

Anyway, I may be completely off the mark here, but this is what the armor looks like to me and what to me also makes contextual sense to be the case, so I thought to share these thoughts.

By the way, I prefer these Aquaman's boots/greaves to the BvS ones. That armor on the right seems to be also Atlantean (as it has shell-like bracers as well), possibly Mera's, given that photo of her is near... Flash's ears remind me of Jay Garrick's and seem to be pronounced due to the aerodynamic shape of the helmet/cowl and I'm 99% sure that the black suit in the picture is underarmor or rather muscle suit for Batman's costume, not unlike Cavill's silver mucle suit.

That much from me... bye.

Last edited:
Finally, here it is:

1rrpf8.jpg

And that post of mine above... I was right. Bronze muscle cuirass. Quite fitting for a king.

Well he certainly does look and act like a King!

So, I mistook that Justice League reveal for the more form-fitting
fqt8bnL.png

From a distance or rather a smaller image of that Justice League pic, his suit stuck out to me the most because it felt like something out of a DCCW production.
Up close, it's definitely more textured, but still the only bad suit for me here.

Finally, here it is:

1rrpf8.jpg

And that post of mine above... I was right. Bronze muscle cuirass. Quite fitting for a king.

For me, this is far more striking and elegant than the straps-and-tats look, and a huge improvement. I like it a lot.

Actually, it is ES-335 of a sort. Can't exactly figure out which model it is, due to the switch on the upper horn and P-90 pickups... also, being a Strat guy myself, I'm not well-versed in Gibsons.

Actually, it is ES-335 of a sort. Can't exactly figure out which model it is, due to the switch on the upper horn and P-90 pickups... also, being a Strat guy myself, I'm not well-versed in Gibsons.

I bow to your superior knowledge. Looked like a Les Paul to the layman :0

I bow to your superior knowledge. Looked like a Les Paul to the layman :0

Hey, it's a different kind of geek talk. :p

I guess it could be a double cut Les Paul, actually... but their knobs and switches are usually positioned somewhat differently. Not to mention the f holes. Whatever it is, it appears to be a rare model.

Last edited:
I wonder if they're going to add a bit of gold to that in post production.

My (amateurish) attempt at colour correction indicates that there is some attractive gold detailing in the costume:-

CprQgeKWgAAyD0_-1_zps8b9y07bp.jpg

I absolutely love this costume. It recalls some of the designs in Flash Gordon, in the best possible way. Now let's get Brian Blessed as some kind of Thanagarian barbarian!

Can someone manip the suit to make it look more orange or bronze/copper and add more green to it. I think the suit is fine, but the solo film might most likely feature a cool version of the classic suit.

I actually think the suit is a bit too colorful... it actually reminds me of Elven armors from LOTR and especially "The Hobbit".

I finally figured out, what is my other gripe with it, aside from the busy design and green bodysuit, by the way... it looks too "clean". What I liked about BvS costumes (Batman's, Wonder Woman's and Aquaman's) is that you could see wear and tear on the armor. There was actually a bit of a corrosion going on on that "unite the seven" retiarius inspired costume. It made them look a bit more grounded and less like fantasy armors, I suppose... with this cuirass, while it arguably still retains some Roman elements to it as well (well, muscle curass, though it's not exactly Roman), I am getting much more of a LOTR and fantasy armor in general vibe.

I don't think that's inappropriate for Aquaman, to be frank.

Oh, I don't find it to be inappropriate either, Atlantis should have an otherworldly quality to it. It's just that, while I appreciate this armor being much less crude than retiarius one when it comes to the overall design, I did like the wear and tear of the former, as I could easily imagine seeing it in some sort of historical film, such is "Ben-Hur". I miss that kind of impression with the newer costume, as well as the more grounded appearance of actual, used armor.

Similar thing could be said for Batman's costume as well. Regarding wear and tear of previous one giving it that certain kind of grounded appearance that is missing on the newer one and not relation to the historical setting, of course.

Well, my first encounters with the character was with this version:

84741607548210a4c69b6833d261b98a.jpg

As well as this:

latest

So you can understand why Aquaman was always pretty cool to me. Didn't even know that he was mocked and hated for very long time, I remember being surprised when I first heard about it.

I knew Aquaman was a joke character before seeing the JL version but I still knew that the 90s Aquaman was amazing and a real hero. I admit I still have a hard time understanding his powers and how he will work in Justice League because in the 90s and 2000 cartons he wasn't a founding member and just showed up sometime.

If you guys haven't seen this, I found Aquaman's Trident at Party City for $19.99. It's a bit shorter than what is in the with the Action figures tho. There are a couple of screws at the base of the "fork" you could probably do alittle customizing with by adding a doll rod the proper length
k7Sg3Hm.jpg

2BNiGux.jpg

I don't like that he has big clunky boots. They're very "un-swimmy". For a guy who swims, the pants just going right down over the feet with a little fin on the back seems more fitting. And cooler and just different from every other hero. I'm glad they ditched the shirtless look, but I hope with further films they can ditch the boots.

He doesn't wear boots. His footwear is actually soft and very moccassins-like. It's basically the same as wraps he has on his hands:

FSqr2XxUmUeHDX9fysUb6Y.jpg

Those are greaves, but yeah, they look clunky. Also, fins they create are too subtle and barely noticeable. Wouldn't hurt if they streamlined them a little and make fins look like proper fins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"