The Official Brand New Thread.

Aesop Rocks

Now I'm Free.
Reaction score
"Why doesn't anyone I know sleep?" - "Noro" (Daisy, 2009)

This thread is dedicated to my favorite band of all time, Brand New.

And, to share them with anyone who hasn't even heard of them before!

Brand New is an Alternative Rock band from Long Island, New York. Consisting of four male members; Jesse, Brian, Vinny and, Garrett. Two guitarists, bassist and, drummer. Jesse Lacey is the "star" of the group, Vinny is the *****e, Garrett is quiet and Brain browses his bands message board looking for girls to pick up.

Brand New started out originally with Jesse and Brian, in Brian's basement after Jesse's very brief time in the band "Taking Back Sunday". Vinny, the youngest of the group, joined in at the age of 17. Garrett joining in after Jesse asked him to and was already one of Brian's life long friends. Brand New was created and they began practicing. Vinny, Brian and, Garrett quickly learned of Jesse's love "The Smiths" seeing how his voice and music is highly influenced by them, later getting criticized by critics. Eventually after shows and shows, they got around to recording a demo and eventually put out their first record "Your Favorite Weapon". Coming just in the nich of time and almost spear-heading the entire "Emo" movement along with old friends, turned rivals "Taking Back Sunday".

Teenagers instantly loved Brand New all along the East Coast, loving Jesse with his almost brilliant lyricism and the raw guitar from Vinny.

My personal favorite songs are:

1. Jude Law and A Semester Abroad.
  2. Seventy Times Seven.
  3. Last Chance To Lose Your Keys
  4. Flying At Tree Level.

So, a second album was made. Coming out in 2003, Deja Entendu, (French for "Already Heard", a stab at the own bands very name) was recorded and
on the first day of recording, Garrett the bassist's car got stolen. Deja Entendu is the album I was introduced to originally, with the song "The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows". Which was picked up by MTV, which gave them international attention. Playing countless shows, touring and constantly in the spotlight Jesse Lacey said "So, I guess this is where we become the stereotypical ******* rock stars?".

My personal favorites on "Deja Entendu":

1. The entire album.
Eventually and sadly, Brand New "fell" off the map. Dealing with deaths, drug issues, alcoholism and, too much time away from home. Three years had passed when in an interview Jesse had stated that "Holy ****! It's been three years since anyone has heard of us" and fans like myself were dying for something new. Brand New, while in Mississippi, began recording randomly and randomly came up with "Fight Off Your Demons", a 9 song demo CD that was never meant to see the light of day. Vinny said it was "simply recorded so they could vent how they knew best". But, we're in the age of the internet and fans will do anything to hear anything new. once leaked, it got nothing but positive buzz and inspired them to write their next album "The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me". While at his cousins house, he learnt that his cousin was diagnosed with a severe case of being Bi-Polar and asked him what it felt like, his cousin said "It feels like the Devil and God are raging inside me". It hit him, that was the new album name.

TDAGARIM, is by far the best and darkest album Brand New has ever released. Constantly covered in Death, self-doubt, depression, demons, questioning one's faith and even, uncertain love. TDAGARIM is also highly regarded as Brand News best album and was even nominated for "best album of the year" in 2006. I don't know which came first, Oprah or Brand New but, Oprah reported on the death of a 7 year old girl named "Katie" which had died tragically on a relatives wedding day due to a drunk driver. Brand New wrote two songs on TDAGARIM called "Limousine" and "You Won't Know" (in that order). The rest of TDAGARIM is just as dark. Following those two songs are about betrayal, guilt, alcoholism and more death. Ending the album with "Handcuffs" which is about a small town sheriff, rumored to be about Brian's own grandfather.

My personal favorites on "The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me":

1. Degausser.
  2. Jesus.
  3. You Won't Know.
  4. Handcuffs.
  5. Luca (Brasi).
This past week, Brand New released their latest album "Daisy", which is also rumored to be their last. Daisy is a totally "brand new" take on the style of the bands own style. Jesse saying "Fight Off Your Demons is our early take on how we wanted Daisy to be, we already had TDAGARIM planned out when we released Fight Off Your Demons, Daisy is Fight Off Your Demons but newer and, better". Daisy is a brilliant album and, this time around Vinny wrote most, of the songs. Surprising everyone how well he is of a writer.

My personal favorites off "Daisy".

1. Noro.
  2. Gasoline.
  3. Bought A Bride.
  4. You Stole.
  5. Bought A Bride (alternate).
This is the bands maturing over the years, musically.

"Seventy Times Seven" off their first album "Your Favorite Weapon":

"The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows" off their second album "Deja Entendu":

"Handcuffs" off their third album "The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me":

"Noro" off their latest album "Daisy":

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"