The Official Cell Phone Junkies Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Torch looks pretty cool. Do you know if it's the size of a normal Blackberry, or is it more like the BlackBerry Pearl?

It looks like it's about the same size as an iPhone or Android phone.

Okay, now there's good news & bad news regarding the Torch: Bad news is that it only sold about 150K over the launch weekend, or about 1/10th of what iPhone 4 sold in its first 3 days of availability. Good news is that RIM has slashed the price of the Torch by half from various online retailers (but not AT&T). You can check the news here.

It looks like it's about the same size as an iPhone or Android phone.

That's cool. I'm not a fan of the small pearl size.
Okay, now there's good news & bad news regarding the Torch: Bad news is that it only sold about 150K over the launch weekend, or about 1/10th of what iPhone 4 sold in its first 3 days of availability. Good news is that RIM has slashed the price of the Torch by half from various online retailers (but not AT&T). You can check the news here.

It says the sales figures are because of a limited rollout. (And that this Blackberry is the best one yet.) I wonder why AT&T hasn't cut the price like everyone else? AT&T/Cingular is the only company I've ever been with. If they cut the price, chances are I'd get one.

That's cool. I'm not a fan of the small pearl size.

It says the sales figures are because of a limited rollout. (And that this Blackberry is the best one yet.) I wonder why AT&T hasn't cut the price like everyone else? AT&T/Cingular is the only company I've ever been with. If they cut the price, chances are I'd get one.

Maybe you can check online, and chances are you will be able to find a AT&T BB Torch under $100 somewhere.

Maybe you can check online, and chances are you will be able to find a AT&T BB Torch under $100 somewhere.

The AT&T store still lists it at full price. :csad:

The AT&T store still lists it at full price. :csad:

Perhaps once Torch becomes a certified dud (like the Kin phones), AT&T will be more opened to the idea of slashing its price. Also, there may be other online stores that sell AT&T Blackberry Torch at a discount.

Perhaps once Torch becomes a certified dud (like the Kin phones), AT&T will be more opened to the idea of slashing its price. Also, there may be other online stores that sell AT&T Blackberry Torch at a discount.

If it's declared a 'dud' because of a limited release, that's not really the same thing as the phone being a 'dud' because it's crap. You know?

If it's declared a 'dud' because of a limited release, that's not really the same thing as the phone being a 'dud' because it's crap. You know?

Yeah, I guess it's inappropriate to compare Torch to Kin phones.

Yeah, I guess it's inappropriate to compare Torch to Kin phones.

The more I read about the Torch, the more I like. I really hope they mark it down though. I'm not in the mood to pay $200 for a cellphone.

The more I read about the Torch, the more I like. I really hope they mark it down though. I'm not in the mood to pay $200 for a cellphone.

Can you use the upgrade bonus on it?

The Torch has only gotten mediocre reviews honestly (feels cheap, screen resolution is garbage). If you want an email centric device Marx Blackberry is definitely to go to device, but if you're more interested in a full web experience and apps, get something running Android (even better is Android that is/will be upgradeable to 2.2 so you have full Flash support).

The Torch has only gotten mediocre reviews honestly (feels cheap, screen resolution is garbage). If you want an email centric device Marx Blackberry is definitely to go to device, but if you're more interested in a full web experience and apps, get something running Android (even better is Android that is/will be upgradeable to 2.2 so you have full Flash support).

I honestly cannot see myself surfing the web on a cellphone all that often. I'd just like to be able to text, send emails if I need to, and maybe check a couple of sites. I was looking at different data plans and it seems like I would only need a basic data plan.

I really appreciate all of the comments guys. I'm just starting to think about a new phone and all of these 'data plans', storage GB, and other technical jargon are all new to me.

I had the original Droid and went to the Droid X, as much as I loved my original, the X add's a lot of features I really love. The news/social networking/contact widgets are fantastic, and the touch keyboard works really well because of the screen size the buttons are large and it comes preloaded with swype, another very cool keyboard. Personally I use the keyboard "swiftkey" which you download from the market (free). It has the best word prediction I have ever seen.

Cool, i appreciate all the info! I went to Verizon and was told that Im eligible for an early upgrade in November so I have to wait. I tried surfing the web to see if theres a way around it....but everyone is selling the Droid X for a ridiculous amount. Its insane. Unfortunately, i think i have to play the waiting game. :csad:

yeah me either
sadly Apple became what they hated, 90's Microsoft. I wouldnt buy any of their products

I wouldnt either. Im not a fan of Apple at all and I wont be jumping on the bandwagon anytime soon.

I got my 2.2 upgrade a few days ago...Flash isnt available just yet but i think the 2.2 upgrade is just to prep for it for when it does become available. As far as I know, the Droid 2 is the only one that supports Flash at the moment.

I honestly cannot see myself surfing the web on a cellphone all that often. I'd just like to be able to text, send emails if I need to, and maybe check a couple of sites. I was looking at different data plans and it seems like I would only need a basic data plan.

I really appreciate all of the comments guys. I'm just starting to think about a new phone and all of these 'data plans', storage GB, and other technical jargon are all new to me.

Im always posting on this site through my phone. Its very convienient haha

If you're surfing the web on your cellphone, wouldn't that open your cell up to viruses and stuff like a regular computer?

Well if it does, I havent had a single problem with the last few phones that ive had internet on...so idk

If you're surfing the web on your cellphone, wouldn't that open your cell up to viruses and stuff like a regular computer?

I surf the net heavily on my Hero, and so far I haven't had anything that resembles a virus attack (knock on wood).

Btw, do you guys know if the HTC Hero will get an Android 2.2 upgrade later on?

Yeah only phones that have come out in the last few months will get 2.2. That counts out Moment and Hero.

Last edited:
Cool, i appreciate all the info! I went to Verizon and was told that Im eligible for an early upgrade in November so I have to wait. I tried surfing the web to see if theres a way around it....but everyone is selling the Droid X for a ridiculous amount. Its insane. Unfortunately, i think i have to play the waiting game. :csad:

I wouldnt either. Im not a fan of Apple at all and I wont be jumping on the bandwagon anytime soon.

I got my 2.2 upgrade a few days ago...Flash isnt available just yet but i think the 2.2 upgrade is just to prep for it for when it does become available. As far as I know, the Droid 2 is the only one that supports Flash at the moment.

Flash 10.1 should come to the market today

Android 2.2, of "FroYo" is the newest version of the Android operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member