• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Official Cell Phone Junkies Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about getting a new service provider. I'm on the job hunt and the monthly payments for my current carrier are a little too expensive for me right now. Any recommendations on a cheap yet servicable well service?

I've been thinking about getting a new service provider. I'm on the job hunt and the monthly payments for my current carrier are a little too expensive for me right now. Any recommendations on a cheap yet servicable well service?
Might be better to ask the people who live near you. That way you make sure to get a carrier who doesn't have tons of dead zones where you live.

Sprint is making it pretty difficult for me to stay with my Galaxy S II.

First four markets to receive Sprint's LTE service are:

• Atlanta
  • Dallas <- My domain
  • Houston
  • San Antonio
Then this:

sprint-lte-galaxy-nexus.jpg

See that? That's a Galaxy Nexus... for Sprint. The Android 4.0 handset -- only available in an unlocked HSPA+ form and on Verizon Wireless' airwaves today -- is currently being pimped in an official Sprint ad over on CNET, and it's probably no coincidence that it's live just moments after CEO Dan Hesse talked up the carrier's first LTE markets. Crazily enough, we had a similar situation a few years back at CES, where the Palm Pre actually emerged here on our own ads prior to the handset being properly revealed. We've reached out to Sprint and will be updating this post as we learn more, but here's what's true should the ad prove legitimate.

We're looking at a familiar 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED display, Android 4.0, a 1080p movie mode, front and rear cameras, and a 1.5GHz dual-core processor; for those keeping count, that's 300MHz more powerful than the 1.2GHz chip in the HSPA+ and VZW models.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/05/galaxy-nexus-sprint-rumor/?utm_source=engadget&utm_medium=twitter

I'll wait for the Galaxy S III.

So I'm getting the Clock Widget error again and I can't open it up anymore. That old trick you gave me Kal-El, to install the Hero Clock then uninstall isn't working (it worked last time though) I don't want to do a factory reset though so I'm curious if there are any other ways to fix? :O (HTC Incredible 2)

So I'm getting the Clock Widget error again and I can't open it up anymore. That old trick you gave me Kal-El, to install the Hero Clock then uninstall isn't working (it worked last time though) I don't want to do a factory reset though so I'm curious if there are any other ways to fix? :O (HTC Incredible 2)

Ok, here are two things to do.

First, check and see you have the most up to date software. There was an update last month. Settings > Software update > Status or Check new.

If it is up to date, then I have heard that HTC and Verizon are recommending customers to download Alarm Clock Plus. This seems to have worked for some.

Hope this helps. :up:

Ok, here are two things to do.

First, check and see you have the most up to date software. There was an update last month. Settings > Software update > Status or Check new.

If it is up to date, then I have heard that HTC and Verizon are recommending customers to download Alarm Clock Plus. This seems to have worked for some.

Hope this helps. :up:
It seems like all I needed was to update my firmware! I need to stay on top of that, especially if it starts acting a little iffy (it was taking longer to turn on, and also my email is showing duplicates & and sometimes more than that, 3-5 copies of the same email). That did the trick though with the clock, so thanks again!

So ive had the Galaxy Nexus for about a month now and i gotta say, i might be heading back to a Windows Phone pretty soon depending on what Nokia does at CES and Mobile World Congress, Android 4.0 is AMAZING but lacks consistency, and to be honest i think i prefer the Metro layout, this is my dream Windows Phone

11x0211nokiaconcept.jpg

So what keeps you Android users with Android? And, honest opinions, what do you guys think about Windows Phone?

Pretty excited for CES! Can't wait to see whats announced! What are you guys excited for out of CES this year? Any phones in particular you wanna see announced?

So what keeps you Android users with Android? And, honest opinions, what do you guys think about Windows Phone?

I have an Android & I hate the battery. It ****ing sucks & the $80 or so 3500mAh Extended Battery did not make that much of a difference either. So based on battery life. I am switching to the next iPhone whenever that comes out sometime this year. Android sucks with batteries

Donut, thats one of Androids biggest weaknesses the battery life isn't quite as good as the others, even Windows Phone. Android and google focus on power and jamming as many cores as possible into their phones when they should also be focusing on battery life, whats the point of all the cores and power when it'll drain fast. Apple seems to understand this and even with a dual core processor the Iphone 4S has better battery life than pretty much any Android power house on the market. Same thing is true on the Ipad, no one really comes close unless they use docks, etc. It's either Iphone 5 or a Nokia Windows Phone for me, idk what im getting end up doing with my Galaxy Nexus but Windows Phone has won me over and Iphone and IOS while being a stale OS is much more consistent and smoother. Only thing really keeping me with Android is the ability to customize the phone exactly to my liking, clocks, docks, icons, every little thing that makes me interested in my phone even more.

It seems like all I needed was to update my firmware! I need to stay on top of that, especially if it starts acting a little iffy (it was taking longer to turn on, and also my email is showing duplicates & and sometimes more than that, 3-5 copies of the same email). That did the trick though with the clock, so thanks again!

Glad I could help. :up:

Where to start. Well, lets be honest here, the cellphone market is tough to break into and stay relevant. For the longest time RIM was on top of the world until it got knocked silly by IOS. Then Android came along and now it holds the lion share of the market. RIM is on it's last leg and on the brink. This is where my concern for Windows phones start. They haven't made a dent in the market share yet. One has to wonder how long they will stand behind it if it doesn't start to eat away at IOS and Android in the next year or two. This situation reminds me of the Zune. It failed at market and now it is discontinued. MS then moved on to the phone market. Will the same thing happen here as well? Time will tell.

Also, I'm with Sprint and the Windows phone's available pale when compared to the other offerings. Could some new and awesome Sprint phones be announced at CES? For sure, but it will take a lot for me to jump off the Android ship.

I'm sticking with Android for the option of variety. I'm not locked in to one battery or one style like iPhone. It's Market has finally become large enough to rival Apple's, unlike Window's. Android has momentum and has firmly placed itself along side IOS. Windows has a very large mountain to climb in this respect.

Bottom line, Android has put the work in and has a firm hold next to IOS. Android gives me variety, a wonderful app store, it's open source, and the peace of mind that they will stick with it for a very long time. It is basically a two horse race at this point between Apple and Google. I am weary of the continued support MS will throw behind their phones if they continue to be lackluster in sales. This year will be a big indicator of which way they will go IMO.

Edit:
A few things about battery life. Every phone is different and I agree that a lot of Android phones have poor battery life, but not all of them. The newer phones do quite well. My Galaxy S II was tested at 7 hours per Cnet's test. I personally go all day without charging with moderate use (that mixed with it's other amazing features, make it the best phone I have ever owned). If that isn't enough battery for me, I always have the option to pick up a spare one on the cheap. :up:

Last edited:
I'll actually probably be switching over to The Dark Side when it's time to upgrade and by that I mean, I'll probably be picking up the newest iPhone (whatever that may be come the summer...) I've had two Android based phones and I'm just not happy with them at all.

A few things about battery life. Every phone is different and I agree that a lot of Android phones have poor battery life, but not all of them. The newer phones do quite well. My Galaxy S II was tested at 7 hours per Cnet's test. I personally go all day without charging with moderate use (that mixed with it's other amazing features, make it the best phone I have ever owned). If that isn't enough battery for me, I always have the option to pick up a spare one on the cheap. :up:

I have the HTC EVO 4G. I load a game say like Angry Birds or Words With Friends. My battery within 20 minutes is half way down. The same with programs like Rock Player. The battery dies so quick. What is the point of having all of this cool stuff on Android phones when the battery does not last long enough & it has to be constant charge ?

Last edited:
If you are losing half a charge in 20 minutes, you need to take your phone to Sprint. I had an Evo and it never died that fast. Something is wrong with either your phone or battery IMO.

If you are losing half a charge in 20 minutes, you need to take your phone to Sprint. I had an Evo and it never died that fast. Something is wrong with either your phone or battery IMO.

Say a program like Rock Player (which is used to watch videos & what not) That tells me how much batter life I have left & it ends up draining very quickly if I watch something. I guess I can talk to a Sprint rep first this week & see what they say

Yeah, I'd take it to a Sprint store and ask them to look at it. It could be a simple fix.

Edit:
Doing a bit of research, it appears RockPlayer is a huge battery drain. Plus, they just added Location permission in the last update. That means it records where you are and reports it back to them. So keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Android is pretty amazing, but at the same time its taken Google a while now to really get something fluid out of the OS, and i mean even on the Galaxy Nexus i still find myself getting force closes almost everyday on the most standard apps. If it wasn't for the customization and variety i'd definitely be with Windows Phone, IOS is stale and its not as refreshing as say Android 4.0 but its soo much more consistent and fluid. I still say no one should be worried about the support for Windows Phone coming from Microsoft, they seem to be sticking the Metro UI in everything they are pushing out now, Windows 8 and Xbox Live, as well as Zune music which was taken from the Zune. They have a very Apple like approach going on, and you see that even with how they push out updates. Yes, they dont have a quarter million apps yet but they're on as fast a pace as Apple and Android were at getting apps, the developer base is there and its still growning which is exciting. Im not hating on Android, in fact Android is the OS im most familiar, but Windows Phone is a breathe of fresh air, its something new, its buttery smooth (i mean seriously a single core 2 year old windows phone is smoother than a dual core beast on Android) I think a lot of consumers should really keep on eye on Windows Phone and the update coming this year with Windows Phone 8. It's gonna bring, better screen resolutions, dual-core, and very well could bring in a lot more customization than it has at the moment. I do agree Microsoft really needs to push Windows Phone here in the states, and by all reports i think this is the year they'll do that.

Yeah, I'd take it to a Sprint store and ask them to look at it. It could be a simple fix.

Edit:
Doing a bit of research, it appears RockPlayer is a huge battery drain

So are Angry Birds & Words With Friends :o

No they aren't and that's why you need to take it to Sprint. :up:

No they aren't and that's why you need to take it to Sprint. :up:

I will talk to a Sprint rep today on the site & see what they say. Hell in Words With Friends alone I wait for someone to make a move I know is playing the same game & the battery dies quickly just with that :cmad:

Guys, guys, guys. Just root your Android phones and install third-party firmwares. The battery problem will cease to be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"