The Official Marvel Recommendations Thread - Part 1

Yes, I've looked at the recommendations thread, but most of the stuff on there is either uninteresting (to me), bad (in my opinion), or I already own. I'm looking for suggestions. I also have compiled a list of stuff I've heard of but I don't know if it's good or not; being put in trade isn't necessarily a virtue, sadly. What I'm looking for are trades or Graphic Novels of stories WRITTEN prior to 1990. I've felt that the "golden era" of comics ended around that time (with the exception of Dan Slott) and that things went in the crapper post 1990.

Here's a list of stuff that I need to KNOW if it's worth blowing $$$ for. Please let me know of anything not on here that's worth reading. It doesn't have to be currently in print, I'm willing to use e-bay or go comic-dealer diving to get it: There are a couple of post 1990 books on here, but I've been told they're in the spirit of old-school heroics.

Avengers: Operation: Galactic Storm
Avengers: Korvac Saga
Avengers: Kree/Skrull War
Avengers: Ultron Unleashed
Avengers: The Yesterday Quest
Captain America: Bloodstone Hunt
Captain America: Secret Empire
Captain America: War and Remembrance
Champions
Defenders
Epic illustrated #26 (I've ordered #27-33 - the Last Galactus Story)
Hercules: Prince of Power
Iron Man: Armor Wars
Iron Man: Iron Man vs. Doctor Doom
Iron Man: Man Armors of Iron Man
Iron Man: Power of Iron Man
New Mutants
Nick Fury vs. SHIELD
Revenge of the Living Monolith
Spider-Man: The Death of Gwen Stacy
Squadron Supreme: Death of a Universe
Thing: The Project Pegasus Saga
X-Men: Fall of the Mutants
X-Men: From the Ashes
X-Men: Inferno
X-men: Mutant Massacre

Batman: The Demons head
Batman: Man who laughs
Batman: Strange Apparitions
Batman: Tales of the demon
JLA Secret Files of Maxwell Lord
Legion of Superheroes: Great Darkness Saga

[FONT=&quot]Ronin by Frank Miller

I have/have enjoyed:
Alan moore Dc universe
Avengers: Under siege
Batman: Dark Knight Returns
Camelot 3000
Captain Britain (Alan Moore)
Crises on Infinite Earths
Daredevil: Born Again
Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller vol. 1-3
Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment
Doctor Strange: A Separate Reality
Fantastic Four: Visionaries: John Byrne vol. 1-4
Incredible Hulk: Visionaries: Peter David
Miracleman (Yes, I own ALL of the issues)
Secret Wars
She-hulk – all 3 trades by Dan Slott
Spectacular Spider-Man: Nothing can stop the juggernaut
Spider-man and human torch
Spider-man: The Origin of the Hobgoblin
Spider-man: Saga of the Alien Costume
Squadron Supreme
Swamp Thing: Alan Moore's stuff through "A Murder of Crows"
Teen Titans: Judas contract
Teen Titans: Terror of Trigon
Thing: Dan Slott
Thor: Visionaries Walter Simonson
Watchmen
X-Men: Days of Future Past
X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga
X-Men: God Loves Man Kills
X-Men: Masterworks 1 and 2 (Claremont)

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

P.S. - No Punisher, please. Not my bag. And before anyone brings it up, yes, I read Kraven's Last Hunt, no I didn't like it. Hated it with the fires of a million suns.
P.S.S. - No Kurt Busiek either.
[/FONT]

Thor and Loki: 10th Realm is essentially Angela's origin. It's entertaining. Thor and Loki (nuLoki) are partnered up and I hope to see more of that now that nuLoki is heroic.

Thanks! I did went to check it out but, holy cow! Since when do comics cost $3.99? I saw they are releasing a TPB in November, I might just wait for that to come out and go on a binge reading that prior to Angela's: Assassin of Asgard.

Thanks! I did went to check it out but, holy cow! Since when do comics cost $3.99? I saw they are releasing a TPB in November, I might just wait for that to come out and go on a binge reading that prior to Angela's: Assassin of Asgard.

marvel includes a digital edition along with their comics, which is why they are 3.99

@shadowknight, i urge you to read the avengers korvac saga, that is one of my favorite avengers books.

What are the best Vision-centric Avengers trades?

Hey guys. One character that has captivated my imagination for sometime now is Captain Britain. I've been meaning to ask but i always forget, but after reading all new invaders 10 tonight, in which he is mentioned briefly, it reminded me. I asked one friend at work, and he just laughed at me and acted as if i asked a stupid question.

My knowledge of him is limited to what i have read on his wiki page. So if anyone could build on him here, i would surely love to get some interesting info on Brian Braddock.

Also can someone please recommend some essential Cap Brit reading???? Id be willing to go back as far as the 80's and i don't mind hunting some stuff down as long as it doesn't break my bank. Some current stuff would also be really great, id love to see where he is in the somewhat current MU.

Thanks in advance! i really look forward to getting schooled here and finding out what to read!

250px-Omnibus-cover.jpg

You want to look up the Marvel UK stuff by Alan Davis from the 80's, the early issues of Excalibur by Chris Claremont in the 90's and Captain Britain and MI13 which was about 7 or so years ago. All should be available in trades. :up:

The Fury and Mad Jim Jeffries. I envy you getting to read all that awesome s**t for the first time.

I should read the classic Captain Britain stuff myself sometime. I know a lot about large chunks of the plot, but I never got around to actually reading it.

I'm new to comics and new to this forum so apologies if this is not the best place to post this. I have NEVER read a comic in my life but I want to give it a shot. I have become kind of obsessed with the movies as of late (Avengers, Iron Man, etc.). If I wanted to start somewhere realizing that time is limited and understand what I am reading and fill in some backstory of movie related content does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I'm new to comics and new to this forum so apologies if this is not the best place to post this. I have NEVER read a comic in my life but I want to give it a shot. I have become kind of obsessed with the movies as of late (Avengers, Iron Man, etc.). If I wanted to start somewhere realizing that time is limited and understand what I am reading and fill in some backstory of movie related content does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Well you are absolutely in the correct place so congratulations on accomplishing what many other new posters have failed to do before you. :o

It depends on where and how you want to begin really. If you want to check out some of the real original stuff from back in the day the Marvel Masterworks trade paperbacks is your best bet. You'll find some of the earliest stories there.

If you want something more current you can try Marvel's digital download app and start with the current series. The Marvel books are in a bit of a flux right now due to the current Axis storyline so you may see some things out of place like Falcon as Cap, a female Thor and soon to be evil Iron Man. You can always go back to a previous volume or so.

Doing searches on Amazon can be a very helpful tool. They have something called Listmania where people will compile lists of the most essential stories for a character that has been published in trades.

If you any have more questions, the Recommendations thread or the Stupid Questions thread are the best places to go. :up:

Outside of a very brief time about 6-7 years ago, I haven't been a regular comic reader in roughly 20 years. Now, in the digital comics age, there are a couple of titles that have peaked my interest. I am very interested in the current Captain Marvel ongoing, and I'll definitely be giving the Squirrel Girl and Howard the Duck books a chance when they are released. Outside of that, what do you consider must-reads for Marvel today? Hawkeye? Ms. Marvel? Avengers books? Guardians of the Galaxy?

I'm familiar with the classics, so I'm looking for what's good and new. My brief return to comics a while back mostly centered around Ms. Marvel and the Annihilation books. I enjoyed the formation of the Guardians of the Galaxy at that time, but I have no idea if it's still anything like it was back then.

EDIT: Oh and I'm not really very interested in any X-Men related books, but I'd be willing to give them a shot if they were tremendously well written.

Outside of a very brief time about 6-7 years ago, I haven't been a regular comic reader in roughly 20 years. Now, in the digital comics age, there are a couple of titles that have peaked my interest. I am very interested in the current Captain Marvel ongoing, and I'll definitely be giving the Squirrel Girl and Howard the Duck books a chance when they are released. Outside of that, what do you consider must-reads for Marvel today? Hawkeye? Ms. Marvel? Avengers books? Guardians of the Galaxy?

I'm familiar with the classics, so I'm looking for what's good and new. My brief return to comics a while back mostly centered around Ms. Marvel and the Annihilation books. I enjoyed the formation of the Guardians of the Galaxy at that time, but I have no idea if it's still anything like it was back then.

EDIT: Oh and I'm not really very interested in any X-Men related books, but I'd be willing to give them a shot if they were tremendously well written.
Hawkeye and Daredevil for sure. Those are my favorite Marvel titles at the moment. As we discussed in the other thread, I think Captain Marvel's great too. And Ms. Marvel, while we're at it.

There are other relatively recent - but not current - titles that I think are worth checking out if you haven't too. For example, Guardians of the Galaxy. NOT the current Bendis run, but the 2008 run of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning that followed what you read. I'm more of a fan of the solo titles than the team books and events, but that run of GotG was a fun team book. Better than what I've read of the current run, imo. And of course Ed Brubaker's Captain America if you missed out on that. It's pretty much legendary at this point, and the clear basis for the Cap movies now. Speaking of Brubaker, his and Matt Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist from 2006 was pretty good too, imo.

I'm trying to get my money's worth from Marvel Unlimited now that I paid $10. I figured I might as well catch up with the new movies coming out. Are any of these any good?

Carol Danvers
Ms. Marvel (2006)
Captain Marvel (current series)

Any Captain Marvel series involving Mar-Vell (I read the first 18 issues of the original one already).

Inhumans

1998 version
2000 version
2003 version
Inhuman (2014)

Black Panther
1976 version (Jack Kirby)
1998 (Priest)
2005 (Hudlin)

Marvel is releasing some Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Classics, was that series any good? I love me some Nick Fury.

I saw Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers for sale at 50% off. Would anyone recommend it as a purchase?

I'm looking for any recommendations on Thor/Enchantress comics...if not, I'll ask someone at the comic book store when I get there.

I know you've been looking into this, but I can't find a good answer. I would have to imagine there's something good by Walter Simonson, but I can't find anything.

Speaking of which, I'm uncertain which time-suck I should throw myself into next:
Spider-Man (The Amazing Spider-Man and spinoffs covering the Lee/Ditko run and the highlights all the way through issue 300)
Thor (covering some highlights and then all of Walter Simonson's run).

I'm leaning towards Thor first. But I want to make sure I finish Spider-Man before the movie comes out in 2017. Thoughts?

hello..this is my first time posting in the comics thread

guys..is there any news whether rick remender run on venom will be released as a omnibus?

Thank you!

BLACK PANTHER BY PRIEST TP VOL 01 COMPLETE COLLECTION comes out Wednesday.

- are the stories collected in this worth checking out? Wanted to read up on some Black Panther, just unsure of what stories to read.

So I'm looking to get into some Daredevil comics though preferably not an origin story. I've heard Mark Waid's run is good but there are apparently two of them. Which one should I start with? Or should I start somewhere else entirely? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I always recommend starting with Frank Miller. It's not modern, but it's still just as accessible to a reader today. And his run is absolutely brilliant and definitive for a reason. I like Bendis, but his run is slow and drawn out. You have to read it in Trade Paperback form and you pretty much have to read several stories in one sitting. I like Brubaker better than Bendis, but his run builds off Bendis's, so read Bendis first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"