The Official Marvel Recommendations Thread - Part 1

I agree with you on the Ultimates! It's looking good an I will be picking up the second issue. Man - Carol Danvers is going to be busy between the Ultimates, A-Force, and her own comic.

And speaking of Hawkeye, I read the new one by Jeff Lemire and oh man. It's giving me all the feels. I feel so bad for Clint and Kate.

What's a really good Ghost Rider trade?

What are some good Iron Fist, Black Panther, Luke Cage, and Doctor Strange trades?

Read Panther's Rage - either as Marvel Masterworks: Black Panther (HC) or Essential Black Panther 1 (paperback, but black and white). It's not cheap, though. I was thrilled when I found the Essential for $50.

For more modern, Chris Priest is getting is getting a complete collection (I think in three volumes), but there are also the TPB: The Client and Enemy of the State (I'm not aware of any others).

I thought it was good, but I enjoyed Uncanny Inhumans more. I've always liked the Inhumans but stopped following them post-Thanos Imperative. It's taking some getting used to, but the new status quo is interesting.

To what extent should I read Attilan Rising first? I read all of Inhumanity and Inhuman, but I haven't quite gotten to Secret Wars (and, since I use Marvel Unlimited for a lot, most of it isn't online yet).

ETA: The question goes for all Inhuman titles: All New Inhumans, Uncanny Inhumans, and Karnak.

Last edited:
To what extent should I read Attilan Rising first? I read all of Inhumanity and Inhuman, but I haven't quite gotten to Secret Wars (and, since I use Marvel Unlimited for a lot, most of it isn't online yet).

ETA: The question goes for all Inhuman titles: All New Inhumans, Uncanny Inhumans, and Karnak.

I really enjoyed Attilan Rising - had a neat twist, but I don't think it's 100% necessary to read. Also Auren is a badass.

All New Inhumans is shaping up to be my favorite so far. The first issue was great in that it introduces you to the team and what they're set to do -a lot of geopolitical stuff and the fallout from the Terrigan Mists which I find fascinating. IF you're familiar with the Avengers you'll recognize the place the first story arc is going to take place. And I am loving how Soule and Asmus are writing Crystal (I'm a big Crystal Fan)The preview for issue two is amazing and I can't wait to read it. http://www.comicvine.com/articles/previews-all-new-inhumans-2/1100-154469/

UnCanny Inhumans is great too - it's focus is more on the Royal Family than the fall out of the Terrigen Mist. Loved issues one and two - can't wait for three. This current arc has to do with Black Bolt and Medusa trying to get Ahura back from Kang.

Karnak is just an ******* and I love him even only after one issue. It's darker than All New and Uncanny. This is the smallest scale comic of the three and Warren Ellis is writing it. Current arc -SHIELD has asked Karnak to recover a kidnapped Inhuman. The artwork on this comic is quite different than the first two - more sketchy. And there's a lot of green.

My two cents: read them all.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of old school Inhumans (Lee and Kirby) and I'm just reading through War of Kings finally. But when I've checked out previews for the Inhuman's books post Infinity, they seem like big departures from the Inhumans I know, (actually generic). But that's from the position of not having read them.

Would anyone suggest them to me? Is perception of them wrong? Are they still Sci-fi game of thrones type stories?

I enjoy them a lot. I think the royal family politics are still there. The biggest difference is it's a bit more geopolitical. It's the Inhumans are a part of the world now and standing off against everyone else. There's a human element with regular humans who have been transformed, but it doesn't come off as an X-Men story where they're a part of our world. Instead, they're trying to transition into life at Attilan.

In issue #5 of All New Inhumans it's looking like Crystal is going go up against Spider-Man. Spidey fans might want to take a look ;)

Which Spider-Man? ;)

Peter Parker :D And if you recall the only time Crystal and Spider-Man had ever met (at least that I have seen), Pietro had just tried to kill himself after House of M and Crys had thought Spidey had done it (Pietro had jumped).

Nope, not loving this comic. Not at all :p

Kris Anka All New Inhumans #3 Variant:

CrystalvsSpidey_zpsnvjuffwl.jpg

Last edited:
The Son of M miniseries was pretty damn good, the scene with Spider-Man being a highlight.

Son of M led into Silent War, which was never finished if I recall correctly? I know there was the Reign of Kings which was tied to Annihilation II...I never read those books so I am not sure if there was anything resolved there regarding the Inhumans between Silent War and Secret Invasion (which you all might remember had a pretty big revelation regarding Black Bolt that makes the aforementioned preceding series very interesting indeed.)

Damn I'm stoked for the Inhumans movie.

Silent War was finished, but there was supposed to be a part three, I think. It kind of ends on a cliffhanger. Most of the resolution is in Mighty Avengers, which, imo, resolves the Quicksilver and Terrigen crystal issues, but doesn't resolve the Maximus issue at the end of Silent War.

Yeah I worded that wrong, I finished all 6 issues of Silent War but it set up a war between Attilan and SHIELD that never came to fruition in a follow up.

If Quicksilver showed up in Mighty Avengers that must have been during Slott's run, I stopped reading when Bendis left after Secret Invasion.

Dr strange The Oath

Hey all I was wondering what's folks thoughts on those season one trades that came out awhile ago for select characters. I never read any of them. But was thinking of getting the spidey one in the next few days. And wanted to see is it worth it.

I would highly recommend the new Mockingbird and Moon Knight series to anyone out there. Both very high quality material.

ok guys so here are the comic series i have read and likes so far.

amazing fantasy vol 2 1-6, arana heart of the spider
runaways vol 1-3
avengers academy
young avengers 2005-2006, special and presents
khamala khan ms,marvel

so as you can see i am a fan of young superheros... now what are some other cool young superhero teams or single superhero teens to read about?

also i really want to read more about hazmat, mettel, reptil and finesse from avengers academy and basically all of the young avengers, also what happens to the runaways aftre the end of vol 3... and im intrigued by the new warriors, and i would also like to see what happens with anya after the end of arana heart of the spider.

btw i am completely fine jumping randomly throughout comic events and series in order to keep track of my favorite characters stories.

Last edited:
ok guys so here are the comic series i have read and likes so far.

amazing fantasy vol 2 1-6, arana heart of the spider
runaways vol 1-3
avengers academy
young avengers 2005-2006, special and presents
khamala khan ms,marvel

so as you can see i am a fan of young superheros... now what are some other cool young superhero teams or single superhero teens to read about?

also i really want to read more about hazmat, mettel, reptil and finesse from avengers academy and basically all of the young avengers, also what happens to the runaways aftre the end of vol 3... and im intrigued by the new warriors, and i would also like to see what happens with anya after the end of arana heart of the spider.

btw i am completely fine jumping randomly throughout comic events and series in order to keep track of my favorite characters stories.
Avengers Arena featured a lot of the Avengers Acadamy characters.

Kieron Gillen's run on Young Avengers is also pretty great.

For anyone looking to put a GOOD spidey title in their pick up list, I would recommend Bendis's current Spider-Man title. It feels much more like spider-man than an other title that has a *cough* adjective *cough* before the name...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"