The Official Marvel Recommendations Thread - Part 1

I always liked the way Thundra looked. Don't have many comics with her, though. Is there any must read storyline with her?

Highly recommend Spider-Woman. It's just been a really solid title since Hopeless started writing but.

Is "Daredevil/Punisher: Seventh Circle" worth a read, or worth a skip?

The Tom King Vision arc just ended, but I'd HIGHLY suggest picking that up. And since Black Panther is my favorite superhero and Ta-Nehisi Coates is one of my favorite writers and Brian Stelfreeze's art is top notch, I'd have to recommend the new Black Panther series, which is just crushing it. Also the new Power Man & Iron Fist series by David Walker and Sanford Greene is a really awesome read as well. Just starting to get into Bendis' Infamous Iron Man series, but I'll have to see where that takes me...

For the new Marvel NOW launches, I can vouch that Occupy Avengers and Great Lakes Avengers are both off to very good starts. They couldn't be more different tonally, but they both look to be great additions to the line.

Second Occupy Avengers. I've also found Mosaic to be a really great read as well.

Also once again, recommending Spider-Woman - if you're a Hobgoblin fan this arc is for you.

I've enjoyed Mosaic. I don't think people will end up buying it, but it's a solid read. It's still in the origin, but I do think there's a problem with lacking clear antagonists so far, but that's a minor complaint.

he been wanting too get back too c=xman comics can any boudy recommend a good title same with avengers started reading all new diifrent avengers want too read another good avengers title.
thanks.

I've recently been reading Sub-Mariner: The Deep, and it's amazing.
Already a very aggressive, sometimes malevolent figure, this comic portrays Namor as downright monstrous - presenting him as a mythical beast of the seas who preys on unwary sailors. The art is reminiscent of Arkham Asylum and it really compliments a character like Namor, who even at his best can charitably be described as "difficult".

For a new Black Panther reader, which run would you guys recommend starting with:

The Original Stan Lee/Jack Kirby run or Christopher Priest's run?

There is no original Stan Lee/Jack Kirby run of Black Panther. There's the original Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four issues with Black Panther, which, if you're OK with silver age comics is fine to briefly check out.

You might be thinking of Jack Kirby's Black Panther series without Stan Lee. If that's the case, absolutely do not start with that. It's strange, not very good, and different from almost all other renditions. But that's not the first series anyway. Don McGregor's Jungle Action series predates it. I really love Panther's Rage. I'd recommend reading it (you can buy the Marvel Masterworks version on Comixology), but I also know that the bigger influence on modern Black Panther is Christopher Priest's run (and Reginald Hudlin's run almost evenly). I just think it's hard to go back to McGregor if you've read Priest first while you can appreciate both if you like McGregor.

So I'd recommend Fantastic Four followed by Panther's Rage, but I also think it's entirely reasonable to not read them first. You should absolutely read Priest's run regardless and Hudlin's run as well. Jack Kirby's run (or first arc, rather) is fine to read as something very weird and very Jack Kirby. It'll give context to some of the later Priest issues. But it's not essential reading by any stretch of the imagination.

This new era politically correct nonsense Marvel has left so many people struggling to find anything to like in any of the current books.

I've dropped EVERYTHING except Black Widow, Daredevil, Elektra, and Kingpin hoping to cling to something until Marvel cleans house. They need to fire Ndick Spencer and most of the editorial staff and try and remember what made these characters great in the first place. How long can fans wait on the sideline before we give up altogether?

I am just starting to read comics, with the Captain America: Winter Soldier story by Brubaker. I became interested in his story thanks to the MCU and am liking the comic version of Bucky/WS even better. He's such a tragic character, very compelling. I don't know any of the non-Brubaker versions, so I'm not sure if they're worth checking out or if characterization differs wildly between authors.

I always liked the way Thundra looked. Don't have many comics with her, though. Is there any must read storyline with her?

Anyone?

found this stupid and interesting at the same time

Newsarama shared a link.

4 hrs ·

Late ’16 Sales Downturn Told Marvel ‘People Didn't Want Any More Diversity’
A top Marvel executive says the company has received a clear message about what fans want.

Read more

March 31, 2017 02:56pm ET

Divided_We_Stand.jpg
Credit: Mike Deodato Jr. (Marvel Comics)

Champions_1_Cover.jpg

Credit: Marvel ComicsAccording to David Gabriel, Marvel's Senior Vice President of Sales, Print & Marketing, a sales downturn at the publisher that accompanied a "big shift in the entire industry" beginning in October 2016 came as a result of many factors, including, according to the executive, the market "turning up their noses" at any title not featuring a "core Marvel character."
Suggesting the answer to the question of why people's tastes suddenly changed was better answered by Direct Market retailers,

Gabriel told ICv2 that "What we heard was that people didn't want any more diversity. They didn't want female characters out there. That's what we heard, whether we believe that or not. I don't know that that's really true, but that's what we saw in sales."

Gabriel described what was no longer viable as "things that we had been doing successfully for the past three years..."

"We saw the sales of any character that was diverse, any character that was new, our female characters, anything that was not a core Marvel character, people were turning their nose up against," he explained. " That was difficult for us because we had a lot of fresh, new, exciting ideas that we were trying to get out and nothing new really worked."

Gabriel cited other factors for the market shift, including the economy, specifically events occurring in October/November that affected how consumers wanted to spend their money (with the unsaid implication of the U.S. presidential election), unease and lack of cash flow due to returns to Diamond Comic Distributors from DC's "Rebirth" initiative, a glut of product, and just a general sense of anger over all these issues.

"There was anger because of story reasons for all of us."

"It was the old things coming back in that time period, three books in particular, Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows, that had Spider-Man and Mary Jane married, that worked," he further explained. "The Venom book worked and the Thanos book worked. You can take what you want out of who might be enjoying those three books, but it is definitely a specific type of comic book reader, comic book collector that really liked those three series."
alex-ross-Generations-embed.jpg

Credit: Marvel Comics
Knowing they had to make changes to adjust to the market, Gabriel explained it took six months in order for them to execute their plans, which they're now starting to promote. Recently the publisher revealed a marketing intiative which will feature the return of its classic characters and include the tagline "Make Mine Marvel."

Marvel's upcoming Generations series, which takes place during its summer Secret Empire crossover, will pair new iterations of Marvel's heroes with their classic counterparts.

source: NEWSARAMA.COM

Last edited:
It's not implausible, sad as that is. That being said, part of Marvel's goal was to expand the market to attract fans not just holding to nostalgia with hopes of making up for any declines in sales.

And before anyone claims that it isn't diversity that's an issue, they just don't want their characters replaced by the diverse character, I ask if they bought Mosaic, which was precisely that.

Anyway, even though a return to the previous status quo is inevitable, I hope they don't do it all at once. The transition to what we have now was done over a period of years. I hope they scale it back at the same speed. It seems Secret Empire is a good point for Sam to change back. Jane's Thor is a more popular character and it seems that the transition for Odinson to reclaim his title is beginning, but I think that can play out over a period of time. I fear Riri will be pushed out already, but I'd prefer she get at least some time to develop first. On the Captain/Ms. Marvel fronts, that one should and likely will be a permanent status quo. I don't think people actually want Mar-Vell back full time. He's a great legacy character to remember and Kamala is a great new Ms. Marvel.

Originally Posted by Mike Murdock
It's not implausible, sad as that is. That being said, part of Marvel's goal was to expand the market to attract fans not just holding to nostalgia with hopes of making up for any declines in sales.

And before anyone claims that it isn't diversity that's an issue, they just don't want their characters replaced by the diverse character, I ask if they bought Mosaic, which was precisely that.

Anyway, even though a return to the previous status quo is inevitable, I hope they don't do it all at once. The transition to what we have now was done over a period of years. I hope they scale it back at the same speed. It seems Secret Empire is a good point for Sam to change back. Jane's Thor is a more popular character and it seems that the transition for Odinson to reclaim his title is beginning, but I think that can play out over a period of time. I fear Riri will be pushed out already, but I'd prefer she get at least some time to develop first. On the Captain/Ms. Marvel fronts, that one should and likely will be a permanent status quo. I don't think people actually want Mar-Vell back full time. He's a great legacy character to remember and Kamala is a great new Ms. Marvel.

so I've been thinking about this alot and I hope this doesn't come as shock but ?i do agree

I think jane foster should stay thor or as marvel has done many times before give that othe rthor a new name and move on

example

Comic Book Resources

Sponsored ·

Gotta catch 'em Mjolnir!

Beyond Mjolnir: The 15 Greatest Asgardian Weapons
The people of Asgard grew up in a world where going to battle was a matter of everyday life. As a result of all of these battles, the weaponry of Asgard has become quite developed and many Asgardians,
CBR.COM

14. Red Norvell’s Hammer

asgardweapons14.jpg

Few beings in this universe are quite as willing to sacrifice people to get their way as Odin, the lord of Asgard. One of his more devious plans involved turning a man named Roger “Red” Norvell into a substitute for Thor so that when Ragnarok came around, it would be Norvell who died instead of the real Thor. And that’s exactly what happened. For the substitution to work,

Odin had to give Norvell a special belt of strength as well as enchanted gloves that allowed the otherwise unworthy Norvell of wielding Mjolnir.

Years after Norvell’s death, Odin and Thor had one of their many falling outs, so Odin resurrected Norvell and created for him a new hammer made out of the same uru that made up Mjolnir. It theoretically should be higher on the list because it stood up well to Mjolnir,
but as the Red Norvell version of Thor was not exactly memorable, you don’t exactly get the urge to brag all that much about his weapon.

me bragging where thor involved was always over rated

As to falcon there's a new Latino falcon right now .so sam Wilson can't take the name back, but he should take on the code name of " Independence Eagle " linked to being United states patriotic and have A name to him self. I was thinking about this for some time before this article came about . I'M still working on steve's but if he goes evil ....

but he can't have name captain AMERICA any more. it's all way bothered there ARE no military guyS OR WOMEN in the MU that answer's anything but captain as super hero name .

I'm putting col with his if they turn him to the good side again and working on the rest still. but it's time he moved on code name wise . carole should be col marvel in my mind .

as to the rest like riri I said some like in the Xmen thread
Originally Posted by zenith16
Originally Posted by Sithborg
They aren't wrong. The geekdom is rife with... unsavory types. People complain about lack of newness, but the its the "fans" that are the real problem. They don't want new stuff. They don't like changes.
it's half that and there are indeed those that want thing the same no matter what and those are the one that barley even read the book.

but the thing of late that's a thing is the problem is the transition. the problem here is how it happening thor has always repeatedly lost that hammer so that's not a problem.

but for some others like cyclops or spiderman or captain america or prof X I think fan are tired of the writer doing character assassination doing it for controversy . when they can just do it the normal way put the character in administrative position's and let the new people handle the field work. it's not that hard . but some writer think ok I'll kill this character off and put in my creation and while the new people are there doing the job they are missing thing, like certain skills that are needed to do the job and while some might say they will learn it the writer's these day's make it so they won't learn that much needed skill for a very long time(as in years) and alot of people these day don't like to wait.

they have alot impatience issues especially they know how alot of writers act these days . and it's not helping that writer's have been making character not as smart as they used to be ether just to push the story along. it's a number of issue's it's just simple one answer any more sadly

I think there is room for but as there's always been befor but they need to stop replacement in the I'll kill them off way and also ruin their rep or what was likeable about them to do it . << this is why there strong back lash and make them a boss figure like bruce wayne was in batman beyond or when he became police commissioner of Gotham in the golden age and he had his daughter helena wayne when he started batman inc or the out siders.

tony stark doesn't have make fast come back let riri do the work of handling the bad guys and let tony get back to in venting and being her mission control and advisor. and only show to help when she need in the iron man books.

Let them get old or more importantly move on career wise let younger other character handle the field work. let the older be the boss and handle the stuff of political intrigue etc. it's working for nick fury jr as it did worked for his dad nick fury senor and it worked for Xavier.

I said this before wolverine need's a department to him self dealing with anything similar to weapon X where it's set to shut things like that down in 616 or what ever you want to call the current verse reed made now that they are living in.

thisis to stop anyone from being Exploited and turned into weapon's against their will's or used for illegal activity. and he has his own x agents that for him alone and he really shouldn't be in the x mansion ether.

older cyclops should be in an operation center while not teaching and over seeing one ofthe people sing off on assiments for theor officers agent's operatives a operators (the latter like X-force) assets

and while storm not teaching she should be in their strategic service room whic better version of the wwar room but I'm dropping work cause this count to what the x-men are trying to achieve

let jane stay as she is with a new hammer as ambassador to Asgard to earth . the odison should ether restart the agency h.a.m.m.e.r as it's public director not thee director he's it's face , and monitor & battle godly and mystical threats with doctor strange as his second .

if tony isn't doing that stuff I suggested with riri then he should run be the public director of A.r.m.o.r. at some point . Let luke cage and Dare devil run the avengers for some years

Last edited:
oh and this was put out recently

April 03, 2017
1491238875ridernova.jpg

Marvel Comics has recently seen a huge sales nosedive, with most comics cancelled and then relaunched every six issues.
Marvel Comics VP of Sales David Gabriel recently spoke at a retailer summit (via ICV2), where he blamed fans for "turning their noses up" at diversity and even said that fans &#8220;didn&#8217;t want female characters out there." (via ICV2).

Ms. Marvel writer G. Willow Wilson even realized this problem as she stated on her website:

This is a personal opinion, but IMO launching a legacy character by killing off or humiliating the original character sets the legacy character up for failure. Who wants a legacy if the legacy is ******?

Wilson is on-point with that one. Why kill off an iconic character just to replace them with worse versions? Why can't they just create new characters? It seems Marvel Comics has taken fans for granted and expect them to buy whatever they can release without caring about the fan base or being more creative with new characters.

finally some one that actually gets it. she need to replace the VP like now . that the only replacement needed and keep the characters of color and please keep the women inthe forfront but loose the bad habits of the execution of trash other good characters as she stated. it has to go.

Last edited:

source: http://www.cbr.com/

welp this will be the last of this and I'm happy so many people have actually been looking into this since the VP of marvel said what he said and has been corrected and he's reconsidering that insane statement.

Hmm ok just got this just now and after this I'm done glad to see people are looking into this and letting that Vp and those that told him this crap have it.

and it seem it was all the infighting among the Heroes and getting rid of the former characters and more importantly the big event there's fatigue as I suspected said often . it was alot other things. But the race issue. I knew it.

No, Diversity Didn’t Kill Marvel’s Comic Sales
04.03.17 Charles Paul HoffmanThough it may present a tempting target, Marvel's current focus on diversity in its heroes is not the root of the current sales slump

Over the past several years, there has been a decided shift in Marvel’s superhero line, with the on-page characters starting to look a bit more like people in the real world.

We’ve seen a dramatic increase in series starring female superheroes, as well as a less pronounced (but still significant) increase in titles starring people of color. But now there are signs the shift is over, and the pendulum might be shifting back toward the white, male superheroes of yore.

Last week, David Gabriel, Marvel’s senior vice president of sales and market, stated in an interview with ICv2.com that retailers have told Marvel, “people didn’t want any more diversity. They didn’t want female characters out there. That’s what we heard, whether we believe that or not. I don’t know that that’s really true, but that’s what we saw in sales.”

Although Gabriel walked back his original statement a bit the next day, promising, “our fans and retailers are excited about these new heroes. And let me be clear, our new heroes are not going anywhere,” “diversity” is and remains a tempting target to blame for Marvel’s current sales slump. It paints a simple narrative: Marvel tried to reach out to new audiences, but the sales weren’t there. It means all Marvel has to do is shift focus back to its core superheroes and core audience, and everything will be fine.

The problem with that is simple: That narrative is just not true. As I did some digging into comic sales data, a far more complicated story took shape; sales on Marvel’s superhero line have slumped across the board since the end of “Secret Wars,” with only a single ongoing series selling more that 50,000 copies a month to specialty shops. While All-New, All-Different Marvel Now started out strong in October 2015, it quickly sputtered, with many books hemorrhaging sales, especially after DC’s Rebirth relaunch.

One of the major culprits was that the All-New, All-Different relaunch turned out not to be all that new or different, with at least 24 series continuing on post-“Secret Wars” with the same creative team, or at least the same writer. In almost every single case, those continuing series saw dramatic sales drops after their initial relaunch.

Another culprit? Between October 2015 and February 2017, Marvel launched or relaunched at least 104 ongoing superhero series, for an average of about six new #1s a month. That is an astounding number of titles. Unsurprisingly, a very large number of these series have failed to find an audience: roughly a quarter (25) were canceled with 10 or fewer issues published; at least another seven books (7 percent) launched in late-2016/early-2017 appear to be very likely to meet the same fate, even if their cancellation has not yet been formally announced.

Looking at the data, it’s difficult not to get the sense that Marvel has been throwing everything at the wall, hoping that something will stick. Unfortunately, not much has been sticking. In February 2017, Marvel published only two ongoing superhero series that sold above 40,000 single issues: “The Amazing Spider-Man” (61,953) and “The Mighty Thor” (40,175). The predecessors of both series were among Marvel’s top sellers in 2015, with their last pre-“Secret Wars” issues selling 88,338 and 86,222 copies, respectively. The remainder of Marvel’s top 10 books all sell in the 35-39,000 copy range. Prior to “Secret Wars,” Marvel’s top 10 ongoing superhero titles were all selling above 50,000 copies per month. That is a significant drop in sales, indicating a hollowing-out of Marvel’s customer base.

Just to be clear, “diversity” has very little to do with the drop in sales in Marvel’s top 10 books. Only three (“The Mighty Thor,” “Invincible Iron Man” and “Black Panther”) can be considered “diverse,” in that they star a lead character who is a woman or a person of color. The rest are series starring white male heroes or teams made up predominantly of white male heroes.

These are Marvel’s traditional A-list heroes, being written and drawn by A-list writers and artists (almost all of whom are themselves white men), and yet they are floundering.

That is not to say that these particular books are selling worse than they should be. Several, including “Invincible Iron Man,” “Doctor Strange” and “Black Panther,” sell well above the level of previous series involving the same characters, and “The Mighty Thor” continues to sell better than its predecessor, “Thor: God of Thunder,” despite its own steep post-“Secret Wars” drop.
hile Marvel has admittedly had some misses among its “diverse” titles, it has also had some genuine hits. “The Mighty Thor” remains Marvel’s No. 2=selling ongoing superhero series. “Black Panther” has been a solid hit as well, selling enough single issues to be in Marvel’s top 10, and enough trades to make the bestseller lists. “Invincible Iron Man” (starring Riri Williams) is also in the top 10, showing very little attrition from writer Brian Micahel Bendis’ pre-“Civil War II” series. “Spider-Man” is close behind, selling about 5,000 more copies than Miles Morales’ pre-“Secret Wars” series.”Spider-Gwen” and “All-New Wolverine” are also both doing well, with more than 29,000 copies sold in February for both titles. And then there’s “Ms. Marvel” and “The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl,” two series whose trades have also made the bestsellers lists.

Having dug into the data, it’s become clear that diversity is not hurting Marvel. The truth is, Marvel’s “diverse” titles actually sell decently. The problem, instead, appears to be a hollowing-out of Marvel’s traditional A-List, titles whose sales have dropped by tens of thousands of copies in the past few years. Especially painful has been the collapse of X-Men sales, which once made up Marvel’s bread and butter, though the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy lines have also seen a major declines since “Secret Wars.” Blaming “diversity” only goes so far when it is series about white men and teams of white men that have been dropping the furthest.

There are many potential explanations for why Marvel’s sales have declined since “Secret Wars” — the decision to relaunch titles that were already selling well, a weak slate of new series, reader fatigue with the seemingly unending string of events and crossovers, a desire for more escapist stories at a time when Marvel was prepping for an event about fascism, steep competition from DC’s Rebirth relaunch, poor marketing outside of the direct market, etc. — but the publisher’s current focus with “diversity” is not among them.

Now The lession's learned it seem's starting with

Comic Book Resources

3 hrs ·

Don't expect any major events from Marvel post-Secret Empire.

No Big Events After Secret Empire for ‘18 Months, At Least,’ Says Marvel

Marvel exec David Gabriel indicates that the publisher doesn't plan any major crossover events immediately after Secret Empire.Read more

Last edited:
YEP. The social justice toilet and terrible writing is to blame. The political nonsense is even worse than event fatigue that is mentioned above as well as the disregard for the characters we have grown to love over 40+ years.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/marvel-comics-blames-fans-low-sales-not-themselves

"The problem is Marvel Comics has taken the fans for granted as they have always counted on their "zombies" that buy anything. Well, apparently the zombies have had enough, and it's about time."

AMEN to that...

I'm a long time fan that they need to win back. Can they stop the liberal nonsense without firing editors and writers or is it too ingrained and will seep in to their work?

YEP. The social justice toilet and terrible writing is to blame. The political nonsense is even worse than event fatigue that is mentioned above as well as the disregard for the characters we have grown to love over 40+ years.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/marvel-comics-blames-fans-low-sales-not-themselves

"The problem is Marvel Comics has taken the fans for granted as they have always counted on their "zombies" that buy anything. Well, apparently the zombies have had enough, and it's about time."

AMEN to that...

I'm a long time fan that they need to win back. Can they stop the liberal nonsense without firing editors and writers or is it too ingrained and will seep in to their work?
we marvel has this bad habit of taking thing too far at times far too often of late and I never liked the attitude that they think their fan base will take any and every thing that was one of the things I heard from some in old forum of comics fan @Xfan back in the day and man that caused alot of problems of the flame war verity and devide people and I saw alot of them back then.
they were nasty .

I can't say much further. yes they have taken fans for granted.

AMEN to that...

This. x1000000.

Let's avoid the topic of diversity in comics, because I know nobody's opinion will change and this really isn't the place. If you want an argument, make a new thread - I'd be happy to give my two cents.

On topic, I have a few personal favorites that I think are a bit underrated.
-Black Panther (vol. 3, which began in 1998 and is about 60-70 issues) has some really strong arcs in it (although it does go through a bit of rot later on, in my opinion). This is the reason I love T'Challa and am excited for the upcoming movie, especially to see Martin Freeman in the role of Everett K. Ross. This book had the idea of taking a pretty emotionally reserved character (T'Challa) and making him more interesting by telling the story from the perspective of someone who's a little more fun (Ross).

-A few early 2000's cosmic series, including Infinity Abyss, The End, and the first 6 issues of the Thanos series from 2003. All are strong cosmic stories, and in my opinion much more entertaining than the over-hyped Annihilation event. These are the reason I love Thanos and his dynamic with Warlock, and am disappointed that Warlock won't be in Avengers 3 or 4.

-Exiles vol. 1, beginning in 2001. The idea gets old after a while, but the idea of mutants fixing up parallel universes is a lot of fun, especially with the fun-loving Morph (one of my favorite marvel characters)

Hi. So I'm in kind of a weird in between place right now with comics.

So I decided to read Spider-Man. From the beginning. Which has been quite a time consuming endeavor. For the most part it's been a pretty good ride, but I'm not quite up to date to pick up any new Spider-Man stuff. Neither do I really want to at the moment. Keep with the program for the moment! Anyways, it's been working okay. I've made pretty good progress so far, though that changes depending on my mood. I've made it up to Civil War, which I'm in the midst of reading right now!

Buuuuuuuuuut sometimes just reading endless Spider-Man gets me really burnt out, and then I'll take months where I don't touch a comic.

What I'm looking for is something relatively (Like published within the turn of this century?) recent that I could pick up without a whole lot of background knowledge. Because my knowledge of anything recent is very hazy, it'd need to be something I could just pick up and read.

I've been visiting local comic shops lately asking that question, and they've turned me on to some things I really liked, but the more voices I can hear, the more likely someone will have a good rec! Because while some have been great...others have been less so.

Things I've really enjoyed that people have turned me onto:

Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (Yes I know I said I didn't want to touch spider related stuff but special case)
Invincible Iron Man
X-Men Blue
Mockingbird
Ms. Marvel
Alias
Young Avengers

There've been other things that...haven't gone down quite as well. Thor didn't have a vibe that I really liked, but I've never been as good as the magicky side of things. While I wouldn't call it quite...magicky, it was apparently far enough down that road for me. Squirrel-Girl was too lighthearted for me and a bit too in love with itself and how clever it finds itself. Silver Surfer wasn't bad. Not quite my cup of tea but I could read more of that.

So if anyone has any good recommendations, it'd be much appreciated!

All the big storylines from the years such as Infinity, Civil War II, Secret Empire and Avengers vs xmen are great, and also a good place to start if your new.

Generations and Marvel Legacy also provide awesome stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"