• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Official DD Thread - Part 1

I know there's a few threads floating around here, and I did a search and didn't find a general one (If there is one, just point me there and I'll stop posting in this one) I just thought with Brubaker coming on board, a new place to discuss the events might be in order.

I have to say that I haven't been as big a fan of Bendis' DD run as a lot of people. I liked it, but as per usual with BMB, he has great, great ideas, but I don't care quite as much for the execution, for various reasons. No need to rehash all of that. But I think the one thing even his detractors will admit is that DD was his definate bright spot.

I just wanted to be sure I disclaimed all of that before I say this: I think Brubaker's run is going to surpass Bendis'. I know it's only been 2(?) issues, but I'm impressed. This last issue just blew me away. Now I don't think for a minute that
we've seen the last of Foggy, so take his "death" for what you will.
But I love what it has revealed about Matt. And I loved the characterization of Ben Urich and JJJ. That scene alone was worth the price of admission.

Anyway, thought you DD fans might like a place to put it all together.

I *finally* read all of Miller's DD! I posted my thoughts on another thread, but thought i'd share:

Daredevil by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson volumes 1-3:

Ah yeah now we're getting to the A-material right here, having already read Daredevil: Born Again and Daredevil: The Man Withouth Fear it was nice to finally read the actual first stories by Miller on DD that made him so popular to begin with. Volume 1 kicks off with the Spider-Man issues drawn by Miller and the first stories in volume 1 are actually written by Roger Mckenzie, but you can see the beginning of Miller's story telling artistic decisions, but the first issues just have too much that 70s style narration on almost everything, but nowhere near as bad as it is in Tomb of Dracula series. When Miller and Janson kick off their story arc with the introduction of Elektra, you can see this is Miller at his most Millerist there is. Stunning views of the city are drawn, beatiful women, people smoking, criminals scheming and plotting, with Kingpin getting very tons of attention as he is treated as *the* villain over the course of the story, you got Miller using his weird slang and honestly alot of the action scenes are pretty much the best i've seen from Miller. Elektra's introduction not only kicks off the new love interests for Matt, you also get to see Miller fleshing out not only Hell's Kitchen but Matt's own past gets fleshed out with the introduction of Stick, Daredevil losing his radar senses for a while, gosh you know i could just list all the things i overly enjoyed and loved on these 3 volumes. I mean the page count for each volume was close to 250 pages each, but i read these volumes in 2 days with such ease. Great dialogue, not too much Miller like narration (tho yes, we do get DD compare Hell Kitchen to a woman, and boy did i laugh), great villains such as Kirigi, 3 awesome fights between Daredevil and Bullseye along with Kingpin being the most ruthless cunning criminal lord there is, you also see Ben Urich and even Fogey standout as great citizens who stood up againts the corruption. Oh and Turk is obviously the greatest criminal Matt has ever faced!

If you're an obvious Miller fan, get it. If you love superhero vigilante comics that don't symbolize american politics like Miller's Batman always does, get it. Honestly this is flatout great vigilante superheroics. I guess i could just squeeze this fact in: the 3rd volume has bunch of short stories included after Miller's last DD issue which was flatout awesome, one last talk with Daredevil and his nemesis! So yeah the short stories are stuff like "what if DD was an agent of SHIELD" and a Kingpin centric story that deals with Kingpin and his wife Vanessa, but i gotta admit i felt underwhelmed by these short stories after being so much spoiled by the actual ongoings. I also gotta love how the whole japanese culture was used here with ninjas and all, since i also had hype backlash upon my experience with Miller's Ronin story.

Frank Miller definitely created the definitive Daredevil.
My favorite run, though, is Bendis through Brubaker.
I think they created some of his coolest stories.
Micheal Lark's art style was also perfect for the Daredevil tone.
I'm also liking Reborn, for what it is.

So theory time. It seems that Garth Ennis is returning to Marvel to write a mystery book. Now Daredevil and the Punisher are suppose to get the same high level creative team treatment like Moon Knight so I'm wonder if Ennis will be writing Daredevil. He already made his mark on Punisher so I don't think he would be going back there.

I'd put good money on that. I'm still holding out hope that one day he will write Captain America.

Doesn't Ennis got a thing to make fun of religious people? One of the traits of Daredevil is his cathcholic past and all.

I wouldn't say that he makes fun of religion. He does have a unique view of religion though. I don't get too crazy about it. As far as I'm concerned writing about religion is one of his strengths.

I don't think I've ever actually read anything by Ennis but I've heard good things. As long as he can handle Matt's Catholic faith responsibly I could do well. Honestly, I just hope Diggles leaves soon. He's not been horrible but he's not been terribly good either. I think it's time for someone else to come in and for Diggle to work on something else.

I can't fathom Ennis writing anything not under Max.

Why? He wrote Marvel Knights Punisher for years before MAX and it was great. Censors are not going to keep him from being a great writer.

Then you're robbing yourself out of one of the best runs in recent history.

Ignorance is bliss. Don't know what I'm missing if I never read it :)

I've heard rumours that Brian Azzarello of 100 Bullets fame is doing the DD relaunch.

If that is true, look forward to one of the best Marvel comics in a long time.

... So, will Fox allow the director/creative team to do what they want? In the first project, apparently Fox execs didn't even want the costume to be red, and for at least half of the filming, it was black, and ultimately had to be re-colored in post production... If this is Daredevil Begins, it could be good, but it has to be allowed creative control and Marvel-sympathetic input..

I'd like the Owl to be the villain, and Gladiator to be a henchman..

From what I read, the new Daredevil film is going to be a continuation of the 2003 film.

I don't know anything about a new Daredevil movie... what's the skinny?

?! There's a new Daredevil movie going into production?! Where've I been?

Fox are only doing this to keep hold of the rights, which would have reverted back pretty soon. I smell a hack job coming up, to be honest.

Mark Waid is a strange choice. I'd have preferred him saving the Avengers from Bendis. But he's a great writer. It will be interesting to see what he has planned.

I would have preferred Azzarello but I'm sure Waid will do a great job.Greg Rucka on Punisher excites me more though.

Waid will do a great job, no questions asked. But I'm not sure if he's going to give us the gritty DD we've been accustomed to. I'm thinking he might go in a lighter/more superheroey direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"