• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Super Mario The Official Super Mario Thread

In an age when video games are all about realistic violence, shootouts, killings, blood & guts with no real entertaining value except to teach kids that violence is good it's cool to see an icon like Mario sticking with wholesome gameplay.

Must...skin...lots...of...tanookis...

This and Kirby Mass Attack is all I need...this is going to be a great month (Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Mass Attack, 3D Land, Skyward, early Dec gives us Mario Kart!)

Picked this up yesterday along with Skyward Sword. Two fascinating games and Mario as always is absolute bang for your buck. Finished the 1st World so far and I'm loving the throwback to SMB1 defeating Bowser too. :)

As for the 3D well I too think it shows itself very well. There was this one section on a level where I needed to look down to the platforms below and without the 3D, I may have had a little trouble.

I've been playing this almost every day.

I'm on the last castle (world 8) on the first run with Mario. It's kinda kicking my ass near the end..

beat the game, disappointing boring ending.........

Mario games need to come up with a story, they keep getting away with no story in these games

beat the game, disappointing boring ending.........

Mario games need to come up with a story, they keep getting away with no story in these games

It's Mario, they can get away with it.

If they changed it up, do you know how many gripes there would be of attempting to make it darker and edgier or some ****?

It's Mario, they can get away with it.

If they changed it up, do you know how many gripes there would be of attempting to make it darker and edgier or some ****?
i'm not talking about dark or grittier, i'm talking about a simple story. when you are playing, i want to feel like a need to save the princess.

like, why did Browser capture the Princess this time.......... at least in Mario Sunshine, it was about Browser Jr. getting a new mommy.

Wikipedia says that Donkey Kong is the earliest game to have a storyline that visually unfolded on screen. It's ironic that now Shigeru Miyamoto is striving to have as little story in the Mario games as possible.

While I do agree that Mario should have some form of "point" I'll give this game a pass because it's mind numbinly fun. Is it easy? Extremely... but it's just so fun to pick up and play I don't really care.

Haven't beaten it yet, but as long as this game isn't a dream (looking at you SMB 2!) I probably won't care. :p

Since this is now the official Mario thread, can someone please tell me what is it that Mario says when he throws Bowser in SM64?

"So long, King Bowser."

:doh: Makes so much sense now. After hearing several on the interwebz saying it's "So long gay Bowser", I just had to figure out, so thanks.

If you want story in your Mario games, then play Super Mario RPG, the Paper Mario series, or the Mario and Luigi games. All of them are ****ing excellent. Except maybe the Paper Mario Wii game.

Super Paper Mario had story. I realize Paper Mario fans were disappointed in the lack of turn-based battles, but that doesn't mean every aspect of the game was bad. If you don't judge it based on straight rpg standards, it's a good platformer/rpg hybrid.

Why is it that the Mario games that have story are RPGs?

Super Paper Mario had story. I realize Paper Mario fans were disappointed in the lack of turn-based battles, but that doesn't mean every aspect of the game was bad. If you don't judge it based on straight rpg standards, it's a good platformer/rpg hybrid.

Yeah, I threw the "maybe" in there because I have no idea. I haven't played it, but I knew people were disappointed with it.

Why is it that the Mario games that have story are RPGs?

Because RPGs are usually expected to have stories.

Because RPGs are usually expected to have stories.
Let me rephrase, why do the RPG Mario games have storylines, yet the platformer Mario games use the simple premise of Bowser kidnaps Peach and Mario has to save her with *insert gimmick here*?

I don't mind the premise, it's been working since the series began.

Okay I have to ask, "Luigi's Mansion" what is everyone's opinion of the game and will you be getting the sequel on the 3DS?

I liked the first one a lot, and if or when I get a 3DS, I'll definitely get the sequel at some point.

I never really got into it. It felt like an appetizer to hold us over until the real Mario game was ready.

I BOUGHT a 3DS for Luigi's Mansion 2. Loved the first one.

I played the luigi mansion demo last september - the 3D effect is fantastic, convinced me to get the game when it is out, am I correct in thinking the original one was designed to be a 3d game?

I never heard of that. I would like to hear if that was true, too.

I really liked Luigi's Mansion, and I'm interested in the second one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"