The Prestige - Part 1

What we know?

1. It is movie adaptation of bestseller, which was written by Christopher Priest.

2. The Plot: Two rival magicians in turn-of-the-century London battle each other for trade secrets. The title refers to the residue left after a magician's successful trick.

3. Christopher Nolan (Memento, Batman Begins) is director.

4. Cast: Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson, David Bowie, Piper Perabo, Andy Serkis.

5. It will be released on October 27th.

What I think about it?

The Prestige is my favorite book. When I read first 2 pages, I was thinking it was boring book. But next day I loved it. It was very good book and I hope it will be good movie adaptation.
So I am looking forward to it.

And what you think about it?

This film is Nolan's masterpiece. I can watch this over and over and will always love it. Bale's amazing, Jackman's best performance, Wally is beautiful, TESLA, the mind tricks, the script's layers, Rebecca Hall's performance, the subtle clues and hints...

Every time those last 10 minutes just give me goosepumps and joy. Such a beautiful film, that needs more love.

I loved this film. How well does it translate from the book?

The themes, main character arcs and goals, etc...

are all intact. Nolans took some liberties to translate the "novel" and exceeded beyond what normal book adaptations do because of these liberties. In essence the book was 100% adapted but probably was only 75% adapted because there was an intro/epilogue that was great for the book but doesn't belong in the film because it was about the future of the Borden/Angier families when the movie only needed to express the struggle between the two men themselves.

Understand?

But, definitely check out the book. It's wonderful...

Easily my favorite of Nolan's films.

You never understood, why we did this. The audience knows the truth: the world is simple. It's miserable, solid all the way through. But if you could fool them, even for a second, then you can make them wonder, then you got to see something really special... you really don't know?... it was... it was the look on their faces...
Jackman's delivery of this line is ****ing incredible. Dude should have gotten nominated for an Oscar.

Jackman's delivery of this line is ****ing incredible. Dude should have gotten nominated for an Oscar.

You could see the excitement and sorrow in his eyes at that moment. He has yet to top his Prestige role...

Really need to upgrade from dvd to blu with this one...

You're missing out.

Pretty well. The book ending is sooo much cooler though. If you liked the movie it's pretty much guaranteed you'll like the book.

You're missing out.

Pretty well. The book ending is sooo much cooler though. If you liked the movie it's pretty much guaranteed you'll like the book.
Perhaps I'll pick it up.

By the way, who on earth is that in your avatar?! :wow:

This movie is criminally underrated. I hope its relative 'came and went' performance didn't turn Nolan away from intimate and low-budget affairs. I've always thought he was at the top of his game when handling indie films, in spite of transitioning well into the mainstream blockbuster arena.

Thread bump! This calls for a rewatch. :hrt:

Easily my most favorite Nolan movie and this is from someone who has read and loved the book before it became a movie. Everything was just perfection - tight script, clever handling of the timelines (flashbacks within flashbacks!), intriguing characters, brilliant acting from everyone, etc.

Jackman definitely gave his best performance ever in this movie (second will be in The Fountain) and you just realize how brilliant Bale is when the twist is revealed later on. it's probably his most nuanced performance. It's like he's leaving you little clues here and there throughout the movie. I just love how both characters are shades of gray - they're both imperfect individuals who will make you love and then hate them at different points in the movie. The supporting cast is superb as well. How heartbreaking is Rebecca Hall?!

My favorite parts:
Are you watching closely?

Do you love me?
No. Not today.

You never understood... why we did this. The audience knows the truth. The world is simple, miserable, solid all the way through. But if you can fool them, even for a second... then you can make them wonder. And you get to see something very special. ... You really don't know. ... It was the look on their faces.

So, we go alone now. Both of us. Only I don't have as far to go as you. Go. You were right, I should have left him to his damn trick. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for a lot of things. I'm sorry about Sarah. I didn't mean to hurt her, I didn't. You go and live your life in full now, all right? You live for both of us.

The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

I will stand by my theory that this movie could've done some serious damage during the awards season if this was released after TDK or Inception.

Last edited:
My personal favorite scene comes from Borden, at the end:

We each had half of a full life. Which was enough for us, just. But not for them.

There's such a subtle torment in his expression and the way he says it. Easily my favorite of Bale's performances.

One of my fave movies from recent years. It really made an impression on me. This movie really shows the lengths and the depths and the extremes that some people will go to in order to have a good act. And it was really extreme.

Incredible story.

Yes. Chills every time.

This film is Nolan's unsung triumph. The more I watch it and ruminate over it the better it becomes.

Sarah, you can't talk about this. Sarah, shut up. Sarah, SHUT UP!

:awesome:

Angry Bale is the best.

I love when "Freddie" (Falen, the buried Borden) comes into the fine restaurant and is acting like a fool. He has that swollen voice and is angry, while the other Borden (who loves Sarah) is calmly sitting at the table holding it all in as Falen.

The notion that the more angst ridden Borden (loved Scarjo) was told to leave Angier alone but wouldn't "forfeit" and led to their house of cards falling and his own demise.

Perhaps I'll pick it up.

By the way, who on earth is that in your avatar?! :wow:

It's a great read. The chick is Heather Vandeven. :up: It's from a commercial for the game Saints Row The Third, had to cut it short to fit Hype limits.

Are you watching closley?

lol I dabbled with magic in high school and that became my go-to line for reveals. :up:

Speaking of favorite scenes, even though I was rooting for Borden all the way throughout the film, it was Angier's "man's reach...exceeds his imagination!" that totally seals the deal for me. Such an epic moment in the film. :up:

Not only do I think is it Christopher Nolan's best film, but it has also has both Bale and Jackman giving career-best performances...and it baffles the mind that in spite of all this, how underrated this film is.

Really need to upgrade from dvd to blu with this one...

I just did that. Looks amazing in blu.

Love this movie. I read the book about a year before it came out and I saw it 3 times in the theater. It's amazing - no matter how many times you see it, you can almost find a new 'trick' hidden away in the story somewhere.

I do prefer the ending to the movie more. I think the book ending would have ended the movie too weird, and it was better and more powerful to have that rivalry end the way it did between the two of them in that final scene.

I just watched it tonight. Fan-freakin'-tastic. I love everything about this movie. :up:

Yet, I can't pick it as a clear favorite out of Nolan's filmography.

Inception
Memento
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Insomnia

How could I? Pure utter gold. :awesome:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"