The Prestige - Part 1

That machine is responsible for the over population of cats.

The movie was good. I could've done without the machine crap though as that science fiction stuff was out of place IMO.

Love seeing this thread bumped. :up:

I will stand by my theory that this movie could've done some serious damage during the awards season if this was released after TDK or Inception.

I say this all time (to anyone who's willing to listen :woot:). I think, had it come out today in an awards climate, it would have faired much better, both critically and commercially.

It really pains me that when I bring up in The Prestige in conversation, it barely registers. That said, its understated and underrated nature does make it a bit more worthwhile when I do come across someone who has seen it, and has liked/loved it.

In the interest of naming favorite bits, I really can't choose. I've seen the movie more times than I can count, and every time, I pick new moments. I'll always remember though, when I first saw it in theaters, this little nugget gave me the chills:

But here, at the turn, I must leave you Borden. Yes, you, Borden, sitting there in your cell, awaiting your death. For my murder.

I find The Prestige one of the best movies I have ever seen, and it is quite strange that this movie is so underrated.

In terms of Academy Awards it is ridiculous that the movie has ONLY 2 nominations.

It was brilliantly written, directed and acted. Why was this movie just dismissed?

Because it wasn't a typical Oscar film. Which usually happens at the Oscars.

The Academy will never give a Best Picture or Best Director award to a Christopher Nolan film, doesn't matter how good the film is or how much effort he puts into his movie, they will allways look down on him.

Still Nolan's best film IMO. I think it might've gotten more attention critic and B.O. wise if it was released after TDK.

It's my favorite Non-Batman film he's made for sure! Most people I know consider it a great film too. Internet shows even more peoplethink so too. Wouldn't say it's that under-rated once taking all this into consideration. Maybe it's more under-awarded? :p

Still Nolan's best film IMO. I think it might've gotten more attention critic and B.O. wise if it was released after TDK.

I agree. This scene still makes me sad :csad: Bale & Bowie were amazing in it.

tumblr_lih9cf1HiT1qef7dco1_500.png

It's my favorite Christopher Nolan film too. It's definitely up there in my top 10.

Probably. I saw it opening night and it seemed like half of the audience was expecting Batman vs. Wolverine and then disappointed that it wasn't. :dry:

I really love this movie. It's truly great. Anyone else feel Insomnia doesn't get as much love as it should?

Thanks for bumping this thread and reminding me I need to watch this again.

Love The Prestige. I should watch it again soon.

The Prestige is probably my favourite non-Batman Nolan film. Probably in my Top 10 films.

I like The Prestige, but I feel like the sci fi twist is a bit of a cheat.

Inception, IMO, plays more by its own set rules.

The sci-fi cheat only works on rewatches as you know it's coming and can pick up the clues on it. If you're just watching it first go it can be very much like "WTF?". Still love it though.

Memento
The Prestige
Inception

Nolan's best three films, in my book.

The Prestige is my favorite because it is an appropriate way to do an adaptation without weighing too much on the text or ignoring too much of the text. The characters, themes, and story are so tight. The acting (Jackman's best) is amazing, and the sets are beautiful... plus, the twist is magnificent because it creates different looks at the film every time I watch it.

The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Memento
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises
The Following

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"