The Retro Gaming Thread

and maybe I'll buy that Messiah system for my other place of residence. It looks sweeter and sweeter every time I see it.

Not Jake said:
I lust for the original Final Fantasy cartridge. I need one. Especially one with a battery that doesn't piss away saves once a week.:(

Ouch, that sucks. Sounds like my original Mario World cartridge; I'd start a new game and a few days later all my data would be erased. Had to end up buying another copy off of eBay and sold my old one at the local Flea Market for $15. :o

There's an auction on ebay right now that I'm keeping my eye on, with Final Fantasy, Kirby's Adventure, and Kid Icarus along with like 18 other games (most of which I don't have). I hope it stays reasonably priced (though with those games, I doubt it).:(

Really? Thanks for mentioning that; I'll have to go check it out now. :D
I kid, I'm not that much of a dick. Kid Icarus is the game I'll probably go after next. I haven't played it in over a decade, and, with all the talk of a new one possibly in the works, it seems like a damn good time to reacquire myself a copy.

I have a nice 15-game...I don't know what you'd call it, case? Rack? Anyway, it holds 15 NES games and has these spring-loaded tabs on it that when you release one the corresponding game will kind of pop out. It's this great old thing that I've been trying to track down another one of for awhile. Anyway, back to my point, I'm trying to fill it with the 15 best NES games. Right now it's filled with the 15 best NES games that I own. I figure I have about 10 of the top 15 NES games in it right now, and I'm looking to replace the remaining 5 good (but not best) games with others (Kid Icarus, Kirby's Adventure, and Final Fantasy are among the 5 I want).

That sounds kinda cool actually. Did you find it off eBay?

The ones I have that I already consider top 15 are:

SMB/Duckhunt (would like to replace this with SMB/Duckhunt/World Class Track Meet)
SMB2
SMB3
Zelda
Zelda 2
Castlevania
Tecmo Super Bowl
MT's Punch-Out
Tetris (maybe)

Otherwise I have games like Excitebike and Pro Wrestling and TMNT & TMNT 3 filling out the ranks. I only have about 25 games right now, so that's the selection I'm limited to. I have yet to get my hands on Mega Man 2 or River City Ransom or Metroid or TMNT 2, all of which I want in my top 15. I mean, I've seen those games, but not for prices that I will pay. Of course River City Ransom is kind of rare so I'd pretty much buy that if I saw it anywhere outside of ebay.

Sometimes restoring your old collection is hard:(
Yeah, it is a pain in the ass. It took me forever to find reasonably priced copies of the original Final Fantasy, Mega Man 2, Castlevania, Mario 3, etc. I can't remember why I got rid of them back in the day; all I know is that I needed the money. :(

River City Ransom is one I've got to get my hands on again as well. There's just so many NES and SNES games that I'd like to acquire/reacquire it'll be a while before my collection is where I want it to be.
Hell, I'd even like to get the old Bubble Bobble game back. :o

Oh, and is that Pro Wrestling game you're talking about the one with the character Starman in it? If so, I guess I'll be adding that to my list of old school games to get as well.

Retro, let's see...I've been playing a fun baseball game on my snes emulator, roger clemens MVP baseball :up:

Oh, and I downloaded an abandonware copy of XCOM: UFO Defense for PC, that game rocks

*looks over at box under desk in which my old turbografx-16 rests*

I've been playing Master System games all week, actually. Alex Kidd in Miracle World is somewhat harder than I remember it being...must be out of practice, cause I don't think I've played it in over 10 years.

Brought out my sega genisis started play X-Men2, Earth Worm Jim, eternal champions, mk2, Streetfighter2, and the first mortal kombat

Johnny Blaze said:
Yeah, it is a pain in the ass. It took me forever to find reasonably priced copies of the original Final Fantasy, Mega Man 2, Castlevania, Mario 3, etc. I can't remember why I got rid of them back in the day; all I know is that I needed the money. :(

River City Ransom is one I've got to get my hands on again as well. There's just so many NES and SNES games that I'd like to acquire/reacquire it'll be a while before my collection is where I want it to be.
Hell, I'd even like to get the old Bubble Bobble game back. :o

Oh, and is that Pro Wrestling game you're talking about the one with the character Starman in it? If so, I guess I'll be adding that to my list of old school games to get as well.
Yeah, while Castlevania and Mario 3 aren't rare or anything, a lot of dicks sell them for a hefty price because they're in the NES's upper echelon.

Bubble Bobble is rare I believe and quite pricey:( Or is that Bubble Bobble 2:confused: Probably both of them. Bubble Bobble rules:o

And yes, Pro Wrestling is home to Starman, Great Panther, Kin Corn Karn, and The Amazon, among others. A WINNER IS YOU.

Oh, and yeah, I got the NES game rack thingy off ebay, with a NES with new 72-pin connector and a bunch of classic games. I was really pleased with the deal.

Does anyone here remember Columns on the Genesis? It was sort of a Tetris spinoff but was awesome. Me and my buddy wasted countless number of hours on that gem in Versus mode. :up:

Ah, the memories...

They don't make puzzle games like they used to. They can't even come out with a good Tetris game anymore.:confused: Dr. Mario, Bubble Bobble...

Columns kicked all sorts of ass. I remember somehow I got to level 23 playing that thing. I completely obliterated my friend's mom's score by like 4x or something.

I wasn't allowed over for a good long time after that. :D

Me, I'm all about Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, or any of those other Puyo Puyo clones.

Beans and robots in one game.

Go on...tell me someone's bettered that.

I was playing some Super Mario Brothers 3 last night. I play it from time to time. I was also playing some Dr. Mario...

Also, did I hear someone say they busted out their "N64"? How is that retro? :confused: Hey, I ate some retro eggs this morning. They've been in my fridge for almost 4 days. Then I had some retro coffee. I put it on this morning, but it was early this morning.

:down

Not Jake said:
Yeah, while Castlevania and Mario 3 aren't rare or anything, a lot of dicks sell them for a hefty price because they're in the NES's upper echelon.
Yeah, there's a lot of bastards out there that ask for too damn much for their stuff. What's sad about it is people pay their outlandish prices. Well...I can't talk too much trash, because, if I was wealthy, I'd pay it too. :o

Bubble Bobble is rare I believe and quite pricey:( Or is that Bubble Bobble 2:confused: Probably both of them. Bubble Bobble rules:o
Tell me about it. I've tried to get that game quite a few times, but it just gets too damn high in price. :(

And yes, Pro Wrestling is home to Starman, Great Panther, Kin Corn Karn, and The Amazon, among others. A WINNER IS YOU.
Sweet. I remember playing that game back in the day with my friends. Used to sit there for hours playing it. Definitely going to have to put that on my list now. :up:

Lord Kipobe said:
Also, did I hear someone say they busted out their "N64"? How is that retro? :confused: Hey, I ate some retro eggs this morning. They've been in my fridge for almost 4 days. Then I had some retro coffee. I put it on this morning, but it was early this morning.
Yeah, while it's an older system and all, I wouldn't call the 64, or PS1 for that matter, retro...at least not for three more years or so.

Johnny Blaze said:
Recently, I've been thinking about breaking out one of the old school Dragon Warrior games, but I can't decide between DW2 or DW3.

3! I'm a big fan. My brother and I have a lot of old NES games, but our dad sold the system itself behind our backs because he "didn't think we played it anymore." :(:(:(

Not too long ago my brother bought World Heroes 2 for the SNES for like $10 somewhere and we played it for HOURS that night. It's not even like it's that good a game, we just got sucked in.

I never beat Donkey Kong Country. I should do that.

Anybody play Harvest Moon 64?

That's the best game ever. :(

man, the really need to make a revamp version of Bionic Commando with Rad Spencer as the hero (the hair is goddamn funky and hope they keep it like that). not to forget Bettletoads too ;)

It'd be cool if Battletoads came back:)

Just please not so brain-murderingly hard:(

Bionic Commando would be sweet as well.

Other retro franchises that need to be brought back: Kid Icarus (let's hope Shiggy wasn't blowing smoke:o) and of course, Punch-Out!!

How about Frost bite and pit fall for atari 2600. I got one of those hanging around somewhere. Was the first video game system i ever owned. Showing my age.

Rob Lobo said:
not to forget Battletoads too ;)

ggggggggggoddddd it was so - freaking - hard! Trying to get through the freaking Turbo Tunnel pushed me to the point where I could do the first two stages almost with my eyes closed. My brother got to the stage with the snakes ONCE.

A new Battletoads would rock. I'd also love to see a next gen Double Dragon game. Especially with an online co-op mode. :up:

I'd also like to see a new Contra game that doesn't suck. :o :(

WhatsHisFace said:
Anybody play Harvest Moon 64?

That's the best game ever. :(
My brother used to play that game all the damn time. I tried getting into it once, but, for the life of me, I just couldn't. :(

Not Jake said:
Oh, and yeah, I got the NES game rack thingy off ebay, with a NES with new 72-pin connector and a bunch of classic games. I was really pleased with the deal.

I didn't the exact same thing a while ago. :up:

I suddenly had the urge to buy a NES with a ton of games, the arcade paddle, some obscure games like Maniac Mansion. Now it's collecting dust on top of my VCR. :confused: :(

it'll be sad when Nintendo phases about the GBA...it'll be the end of 2D gaming :(

Yeah, but with the ability to download old NES, SNES games on the Revolution I don't see it happening anytime soon. :up:

X said:
I didn't the exact same thing a while ago. :up:

I suddenly had the urge to buy a NES with a ton of games, the arcade paddle, some obscure games like Maniac Mansion. Now it's collecting dust on top of my VCR. :confused: :(
So disrespectful:(

What games do you all have? I'd suggest just picking up an old classic and forcing yourself to play at least the first couple levels. These games may not be appealing in abstract thought yet they'll win you over if you just get into them a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"