The Stephen King Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
King and Hill collaborating on a comic

Posted: October 13, 2011, 23:01:49
Section: Book » Road Rage

King and his son Joe Hill will collaborate on a new comic based on their story Road Rage.

IDW Publishing is proud to announce ROAD RAGE, a new partnership with best-selling authors Stephen King and Joe Hill, to produce a comic-book adaptation of their co-written adventure tale, Throttle. This monthly two-part series begins in February, and will be followed by two issues adapting the story that inspired Throttle, Richard Matheson’s classic tale of suspense, Duel, beginning in April.

Read more here.

All you need to know about Stephen King is that he wrote the epic novel = THE STAND. Everything after that is trivial.. ;)

LOL, the stand is good, but he's written plenty of other books that are just as good. My favorite is Bag of Bones. :)

Dead Zone and Needful Things are two of my personal favorites.

The Dark Tower and IT are mine. If I had to choose one DT book it'd be Wizard and Glass.

The Dark Tower and IT are mine. If I had to choose one DT book it'd be Wizard and Glass.

I'm currently reading IT right now. It's pretty good so far. Had a really nice start to the book and then it kind of slowed down with a lot of introduction to the characters of the book. However, it's a long book so I'm sticking with it. From what I've heard from a lot of King fans IT is definitely one of his better books.

In yesterday's Guardian they did a feature on celebrities writing to their 16 yr old selves. This is what Stephen King wrote:

Dear Me,

I'm writing to you from the year 2010, when I have reached the totally ridiculous age of sixty-two, in order to give you a piece of advice. It's simple, really, just five words: stay away from recreational drugs. You've got a lot of talent, and you're going to make lots of people happy with your stories, but - unfortunate but true - you are also a junkie waiting to happen. If you don't heed this letter and change the future, at least ten years of your life - from age thirty to forty - are going to be a kind of dark eclipse where you disapoint a lot of people and fail to enjoy your own success. You will also come close to dying on several occasions. Do yourself a favour and enjoy a brighter, more productive world. Remember that, like love, resistance to temptation makes the heart grow stronger.

Stay clean.

Best regards,

Stephen King

Wow, that was an honest letter. Musta been a bit painful to write... :(

Either the Wastelands or The Dark Tower. I also agree on IT, though The Talisman/Black House/Insomnia are all tied as well.

Also, read Insomnia before TDT. You may rage less at something in one of the Dark Tower novels that way. Its also good in its own right as a novel.

Wow, that was an honest letter. Musta been a bit painful to write... :(

eh, I don't know, I didn't imagine him tearing himself up when he wrote that, the vibe I got from it was more that he was being philosophical about the whole thing. But sure, if he thought specifically about certain events from that period where he hurt people, I imagine he would most likely tear himself up a bit.

But, looking back at the way he used to drink and stuff, he does joke about it sometimes. I have this BBC doc on him from years back, and he jokes about the fact he doesn't drink excessively nowadays of course, but also that he doesn't bother even just having a couple of beers these days, as he thinks it's pointless, saying that having just a couple of beers is 'like kissing your sister.' haha, I always liked that line.

I always did enjoy his twisted sense of humor, :p

I always thought in King's Stories he overestimates the threshhold that people have to commit suicide.

I'm going to post my Pennywise costume pics tonight at some point (if I'm sober enough!) :woot: Yes, Pennywise the Clown, from Stephen King's "It". I spent $60 creating an (almost) exact replica of him. I look just like him - I scared myself in the bathroom mirror!

Reading the Stand for the first time in nearly 15 years in light of the recent movie news. Forgot how good it is, and it's almost like a new book for me because a lot of things went over my head when I read it (which makes sense considering I couldn't have been older than 14 or 15 when I read it). One thing that is a lot different for me reading this from an older perspective is how much less I sympathize with Harold. When I was young I kind of identified with him because he was the nerd that was in love with someone who could never love him back. Re-reading it now though he is a pretty obnoxious, and at times just a downright creeper pre-Colorado. Conversely, I also forgot how sympathetic Nadine was in the book. My memory of her was mostly from the mini-series where she was this weird amalgam of the worst features of both Nadine and Rita and pretty unlikable in general.

Last edited:
I still need to finish the book. The only character I like thus far is...the one that wrote Baby, Can You Dig Your Man?

Either the Wastelands or The Dark Tower. I also agree on IT, though The Talisman/Black House/Insomnia are all tied as well.

Also, read Insomnia before TDT. You may rage less at something in one of the Dark Tower novels that way. Its also good in its own right as a novel.
Im actually reading Insomnia I have about 200 pages left good book and I have read the first 2 DT books about 60 pages or so into the third.
Its crazy the DT mentions Insomnia has would you know if any of his other books have Insomnia level DT talk?
I know the Dark Tower gets mentioned in a lot of his books in little ways
but in Insomnia its really good.

Its crazy the DT mentions Insomnia has would you know if any of his other books have Insomnia level DT talk?

haven't read Insomnia but iirc The Talisman and especially Black House have lots of DT connections.

Im actually reading Insomnia I have about 200 pages left good book and I have read the first 2 DT books about 60 pages or so into the third.
I know the Dark Tower gets mentioned in a lot of his books in little ways
but in Insomnia its really good.
I'm just started reading Insomia today. I always try to finish it , but for some reason I never can. This time I am.

The Talisman not so much. Black House? Oh yes! But still, read The Talisman. Its great in its own right.

Scourge, it gets awesome. Stick with it!

The Talisman not so much. Black House? Oh yes! But still, read The Talisman. Its great in its own right.

Scourge, it gets awesome. Stick with it!
Thanks Ill look into those and I have the Stand but havent started it im not gonna lie its size kinda intimidates me lol.
And Scourge its an awesome book once it gets going it gets going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"