The Suicide Squad: General Discussion and Speculation

Finally just got around to watching this movie and had some mixed feelings. It's gorgeously shot and the movie has a ton of style, and I appreciated the movie really going for it with the gore. Something about James Gunn's style of direction is starting to rub me the wrong way though. It just feels like "look how weird this is, isn't it funny how weird it is?!" *insert needle drop*, rinse/repeat. It just wears on me after a while. I appreciate that this one had a bit more of an arc for the team a better story than the original film, so overall I guess I'd say I liked it. Considering this was having "one of the greatest CBM of all time" reactions when it came out, I can't say I understand that though.

As someone who really didn't like the film...I think it is a case where James Gunn on a film like this (where he can be bizarre and wacky) is something critics will love and praise. He has built up equity with them.

Maybe I'm wrong and I just haven't explored enough of his material, but it strikes me that there isn't much sincerity and verisimilitude in Gunn's work. Everything's picked for the purposes of getting the maximum amount of irony out of everything. Not a criticism or a point of praise, just an observation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"