The Suicide Squad: General Discussion and Speculation

I do enjoy the detractors pointing at the box office results and comparing it to the original SS. That's not an apples to apples comparison. There are too many variables to account for. It seems silly to me that we're even arguing about it, frankly.

Would it have made a billion dollars under normal market conditions? No. I have my doubts that it would have exceeded the first movie's gross. That does not mean that it wouldn't have been profitable in a normal year.
Post pandemic figures can't be compared to pre at all. It's just a silly thing to attempt. Opening night showings for films that are declared "full" have 50% capacity or less. No film is going to make anything near what it could have made under normal conditions.

oops-steve-carell.gif

Damn, it's going to be gone from cinemas soon at this rate. :csad:

Damn shame, cause it’s a fantastic film. I didn’t think I’d like it but I had a lot of fun with it and this is very much meant to be a THEATER experience. My girl and I have HBOMAX and we were going to watch it one night, then she suggested to wait until going to the theater, and I’m glad that we did because it was incredible on the big screen!

Damn shame, cause it’s a fantastic film. I didn’t think I’d like it but I had a lot of fun with it and this is very much meant to be a THEATER experience. My girl and I have HBOMAX and we were going to watch it one night, then she suggested to wait until going to the theater, and I’m glad that we did because it was incredible on the big screen!
Good call :up:

I hope it at least sees a lot of love on HBO Max.

Second week drop is not 81%, it's 71%, comparable to second week drop of Black Widow/ Space Jam/Snake Eyes. BW is still showing in theatres.
Earlier estimates.

Last edited:
So it looks Pandemic related as much as anything...

My local still splits it with Free Guy for Imax so who knows.

Second week drop is not 81%, it's 71%, comparable to second week drop of Black Widow/ Space Jam/Snake Eyes. BW is still showing in theatres.
Earlier estimates.

Its more comparable to Snake Eyes, in which it didn't do okay numbers for the 1st weekend then took a bighit in the 2nd weekend. Whereas Black Widow's 1st weekend was at least okay.

Watched this again....

Yeah, it still holds up. Really enjoyed this movie. It's a shame that we likely won't get any crossover with these characters and Cavill & Batfleck.

Actually, forget that. Get me an Aquaman and King Shark movie ASAP. Toss in Black Manta and nom nom's for good measure.

A bit of both I'm afraid. This is one of those weird movies like Scott Pilgrim and Dredd that appeals to fans and critics but general audiences just do not care for.
I'd re-watch watch Dredd, before I re-watch TSS.

So… to their mind, a well-received movie that underperforms theatrically at a time when everything is underperforming theatrically AND it’s been made free to stream… is somehow a misstep after making movies that were not well received and also didn’t perform super well pre-pandemic.

It was one thing when it’s just random ass Snyder stans, but this **** has managed to infiltrate actual publications now?

DC just needs to give up on making a shared universe. The movies can tangentially acknowledge Superman and Batman but clearly trying to build toward something like Marvel does is pointless exercise.

So… to their mind, a well-received movie that underperforms theatrically at a time when everything is underperforming theatrically AND it’s been made free to stream… is somehow a misstep after making movies that were not well received and also didn’t perform super well pre-pandemic.

It was one thing when it’s just random ass Snyder stans, but this **** has managed to infiltrate actual publications now?

I personally thought their critique of WB pretty fair regardless of Snyder.

It’s not a fair critique in the slightest. This whole bit of applying pre-pandemic box office analysis to a post-pandemic box office is borderline deranged. We’re literally in an entirely different world from two years ago.

If we’re looking for fair comparisons, let’s look at the fact that 2018-2019 (after they had already started diverging from the old plans) saw DC drop two billion-dollar films.

DC just needs to give up on making a shared universe. The movies can tangentially acknowledge Superman and Batman but clearly trying to build toward something like Marvel does is pointless exercise.
Let them try that first (without Snyder), if it fails, it fails but right now they're not even building anything.

“The Suicide Squad[1],” make no mistake, is a grand-scaled down-and-dirty throwaway. James Gunn has directed it like a bad boy, though that was his mandate. In fulfilling it, he’s proven himself to be a good boy (which is why he was rehired by Disney for “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3”). But he knows how to dip into the gutter with style. [1] []

Last edited:

They dropped it so fast I got whiplash. It is a shared universe only in name. They dont care about building towards anything or doing any crossovers.

Let them try that first (without Snyder), if it fails, it fails but right now they're not even building anything.
That's always been my stance, but they're just doing random bull**** to see what will stick.

If we’re looking for fair comparisons, let’s look at the fact that 2018-2019 (after they had already started diverging from the old plans) saw DC drop two billion-dollar films.
ok, wait. Aquaman was a billion dollar film, what was the other one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"