The Suicide Squad: General Discussion and Speculation

This movie did drag a little, but overall I really enjoyed it. A sequel seems unlikely given the box office performance, but if it does... I'm hoping it goes Suicide Squad -> The Suicide Squad -> The Actual Suicide Squad or something like that. :o
A sequel is very much on cards, if "The Tomorrow War" can get a sequel based on viewer ship numbers, then this is getting a sequel too, granted that one is not a WB movie, but still TSS pulled in decent numbers.

I hope they add a tag line or something instead of using TSS 2, which will further confuse viewers (is it second or third movie in the series ?)

Something like The Suicide Squad : Task Force X. And, I think WB will make it PG 13 next time with budget not going more than $150 million with cameos from some other DC heroes.

Except, this isn't Lex Luthor or Joker...these are D list villains no one knows they are ruthless. Hell I read comics and I don't know many of them.

Plus the 2016 film was ripped as well.

Sorry but this doesn't smell right. I'm glad people like the film but the critics only like it because Gunn made it. If a less liked director pulled the bait and switch Gunn did the backlash would have been huge. And don't even get me started on how the 3rd act would have been destroyed.

But whatever it didn't matter just further makes me hate critics. I care what we think way more :)
They knew from the get go they’re criminals who went to jail for doing bad things as they know from the onset it’s a movie about bad guys, who sometimes does bad things, and they know it’s an R-rated movie.

They knew from the get go they’re criminals who went to jail for doing bad things as they know from the onset it’s a movie about bad guys, who sometimes does bad things, and they know it’s an R-rated movie.

I think we should continue this another time.

As for a sequel, it will happen if the streaming numbers are good but I would think they will switch the name. Secret Six would work.

Whether Nloodsport is a rehash of Will Smith character ofcourse that is obvious that doesn't take away from Elba performance in this he was better here than Smith was playing himself in first FACTS.

While I agree that clearly somewhere in the script this was originally still Deadshot, I feel like calling Bloodsport a rehash is unfair, or at least not really accurate. Its not that they can't be compared, even beyond the superficial "black merc with guns and a daughter" level, but that the comparison is more of a contrast. If anything, it feels like the writers went "Okay, since we aren't doing Deadshot again, how can we take the basic fundamental character and character role, and make him as different as possible?" The result is something of a mirror image. Which has a certain elegance, IMO, given that one is a Batman villain and one is a Superman villain.

Nice that Waller cared so much about him in the first movie that she gave him a deadly assassin to help him safe but in this movie she could care less about him and tosses him to the fish.

So, this is my fan theorizing, not something in the movie as such. However, I think its plausible enough theorizing that it certainly *could be* invoked in later movies if they wanted: Waller was looking to get rid of Flag before this movie even started.

I mean, think about it. This movie confirms that Waller is a completely ruthless monster ( if not so much as the CW version, zing! ), while Flag actually does have beliefs and ideals amidst the black ops commando work. That the two would eventually clash eventually isn't exactly hard to predict. And this movie *also* reveals Peacemaker, a villain who is both a dedicated loyal soldier, and also 100% fanatically ruthless himself. Who turns out is Waller's secret ringer in the Squad this mission. Only she sent Peacemaker with Team B, and Flag with Team A, the one walking into a trap.

What if Waller's plan all along was to replace Flag with Peacemaker, as her Loyal Soldier Running Task Force X? Peacemaker had roughly the same competencies to fill that niche, only he has no problematic ethical objections that might come up. Presuming he survives this test run, he'd be the perfect right hand man for keeping the Squad on task and in line... and all the easier if Flag "tragically" died doing his duty on the mission.

Of course, it didn't quite work as expected, with Flag only killed later by Peacemaker, and the survivors going rogue and having enough blackmail to win it out. But hey, Peacemaker was retrieved still alive, so its not a complete loss. . .

Say whatever you want about it's Box Office performance, but the movie's got lot of mainstream attention.

We will never know how the BO would have been in a normal year (I maintain it would make a solid profit but nothing like the 2016 film) so just like with every other film probably best to ignore it. The film is definitely a talker and the majority of the talk is positive and fun. This might turn into a huge win for HBO Max because I think it is going to find a huge audience later and will be rewatchable for many because it is bonkers. I mean the characters are not the problem and almost all of them are mem worthy :)

I was thinking about it today and up until about 5 months ago I had almost no interest in this film...literally forgot about it even when it was mentioned as part of the Max slate. I think I got so hyped up by the later trailers, the positive press and the just joy the cast had and forgot that. I am starting to think I might like it more if I watch again I just need some time away from it.

And I think the "Bloodsport is Deadshot" thing is kind of lazy. They both had daughters and were both criminals that is about it minus race. Deadshot is pained by being a father and screwing up Bloodsport is just not even close to the same.

I'd say that as much as I hate her SS 2016 look, I think that it is true that her aesthetic in that film is probably what made her really popular amongst different audiences back then. Yes, the jester suit is a classic, but the outfit she wore on that movie was all over the place back then especially with teenage/young adult girls, if I recall correctly she was the most bought Halloween costume back then. BoP and this SS movie have failed to regain that Harley Quinn popularity and I do think part of it is losing that aesthetic as well as probably detaching her from Joker (Yes, their romance in that movie was awful, but a lot of that same general audience of teenage/young adult girls seemed to love it for whatever reason, you search on youtube and there are hundreds of video tributes of them together, some of them with millions and millions of views)

I'm not sure if it's because "sex sells", but I do think it's pretty undeniable that Harley, especially Margot Robbie's Harley was at her most popular in the Suicide Squad 2016 and has since failed to recapture that popularity.

Sex does sell, it's one of the few Hollywood trends that has lasted generations.

I’d actually be fine if we never get a sequel, but it’s perfectly possible the sequel becomes a HBO Max exclusive.
Hopefully HBO Max can be good for keeping alive potential quality films that might not be viable on the big screen.

Does it though? Not trying to be glib, im serious, does it seem like people outside our bubble are talking about it?

Absolutely. More than I heard about BW or most of the Pandemic films. Almost all positive as well.

If anything I am hearing about it LESS from our bubble.

Does it though? Not trying to be glib, im serious, does it seem like people outside our bubble are talking about it?

YMMV, but I didn’t hear a lot of chatter about TSS in my workplace. The last movies I can remember having real water cooler conversations were GvK, MK, BW, and Quiet Place. Surprisingly I don’t recall F9 being talked about much at my company compared to the other movies I named. As for TSS only 2 people including myself “knew” about the movie. I think naming it “The Suicide Squad” was also kind of confusing, either people really didn’t know much about it or they thought it was a sequel to the original which they mostly didn’t care for.

Hopefully it has picked up some steam on streaming as I would love to see Gunn tackle another one and bring Deadshot back for the 3rd movie.

Maybe it's just me, but aside from this forum and dc_cinematic subreddit, I don't see anyone talking about this movie, those who saw it either praise it or forgett about it and went back to their lives.

Well that has been almost every film this Pandemic. My twitter (which is 95% non-comic) was just inundated with TSS. It was Marvel level posting to the point I was tuning it out like I do Marvel stuff. This trounced Black Widow amongst people I know/follow/talk to.

I am not saying it would have been some huge blockbuster or anything, but I think it would have found a solid audience because of the good press.

I really hope this news today about Joel Kinnamon isnt true…

I hope this happens, maybe WB, Gunn and Margot will be able to convince Affleck to guest appear in the movie. (Even if he wants to exit from DCEU, making this his last appearance as Batman.)

Absolutely. More than I heard about BW or most of the Pandemic films. Almost all positive as well.

If anything I am hearing about it LESS from our bubble.
I haven't seen much chatter in my social media accounts for this movie MOST especially compare to Black Widow and the legal drama happening for that movie. Space Jam Legacy is even more prominent in my social media chatters and online ads.

I haven't seen much chatter in my social media accounts for this movie MOST especially compare to Black Widow and the legal drama happening for that movie. Space Jam Legacy is even more prominent in my social media chatters and online ads.

I was leaving the legal drama out because that is a different beast. I just meant the movie itself disappeared after it was released. Even the comic people I know/follow never talk about it. It was very weird it was like it fell off the map until the lawsuit and Di$ney will pay to make that go away anyways.

Our local paper gave it very good reviews so that is helping. I mean my dad was asking about it and he basically only cares about Batman and Superman when it comes to comic stuff.

It would have been interesting to watch if the Pandemic wasn't still around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"