The Suicide Squad: General Discussion and Speculation

Good lord...people need to stop believing everything they read on Twitter. Not only has no one official even discussed GCS but no one knows whether WB will allow two incarnations.

And just say no to Affleck in any more films. Unless WB gets something (besides lots of mentions) from the Snyder Cult there is no point. If Affleck doesn't want to be Batman why do we keep trying to give him cameos. Let him be done with it.

cc04918582bc0049a835d07f4ae257879aa06eb3.gifv

97223d3f19dc67c682394009cdaffd20228d75fc.gifv

I finally saw this. I liked it, it was fun. I don't think it's worlds away better than the first one (which I also just re-watched and found that I enjoyed way more than when it first came out), but it definitely had more of a mainstream bent.

I'm not sure the team in this one had as much chemistry as the one assembled in the first. Although having said that, I think a few characters by themselves were more preferable, e.g., Ratcatcher 2 and Polka-Dot Man were definitely better characters than El Diablo and Killer Croc. Elba didn't measure up to Smith's Deadshot though.

And John Cena was surprisingly lovable as the catastrophically misguided Peacemaker. It's no surprise to me that he's getting a spinoff series. He and Elba made for a great comedic duo. Also loved that Starro and Corto Maltese finally made their live-action debuts. It's great when DC breaks new ground for live-action.

Good lord...people need to stop believing everything they read on Twitter. Not only has no one official even discussed GCS but no one knows whether WB will allow two incarnations.

And just say no to Affleck in any more films. Unless WB gets something (besides lots of mentions) from the Snyder Cult there is no point. If Affleck doesn't want to be Batman why do we keep trying to give him cameos. Let him be done with it.

If I never hear “Ben Affleck” and “Batman” in the same sentence again, I’ll be very happy.

Well, okay. Maybe if the sentence is: “Ben Affleck sucked as Batman.”

Third DC movie in a row not to gross more than $100 million domestically. It might even outgross Suicide Squad 2016's opening weekend.

oops-steve-carell.gif

Whilst entertaining, I actually think I preferred Ayers SS. This new instalment had its moments, but I don't get the rewatchable vibe from it.

Starro is supposed to be a big bad, and was defeated by a javelin and rats. Who needs the Justice League when you've got Harley Quinn on the case.

Maybe I went into this with high expectations which led to my lacklustre viewing of it.

Defiantly wanted that boomerang to come back too...

That's a quibble I also had with it. Speaking purely in terms of the threat level, Starro is in the big leagues. He's one of the biggest existential threats in the DC universe. Him facing off against the Suicide Squad is a huge comedown. He feels like way too big a threat for the likes of the likes of Harley Quinn and Ratcatcher 2 ffs. But meh, it was fun how they did it. So I'll allow it, I guess.

That's a quibble I also had with it. Speaking purely in terms of the threat level, Starro is one of the biggest existential threats in the DC universe. Him facing off against the Suicide Squad is a huge comedown. He feels like way too big a threat for the likes of the likes of Harley Quinn and Ratcatcher 2 ffs. But meh, it was fun how they did it. So I'll allow it, I guess.
Oh I am unware of that

He definitely didn't look that threatening in the movie.

Yeah well that's a natural by-product when, as I say, you're defeated by Harley Quinn and Ratcatcher 2.

EDIT - Just so we're clear, I meant an existential threat to Earth and its inhabitants specifically, not the wider DC universe. Although I could also see that happening, too. It's not beyond the bounds of reason.

Last edited:
Starro was the first villain The Justice League faced...

It annoyed me how easily he was beaten. Just like Ronan in GOTG. He is arguably one of the strongest cosmic figures in the MU and he was beat by a dance off and a kumbaya circle.

Gunn does villains dirty.

That's a quibble I also had with it. Speaking purely in terms of the threat level, Starro is in the big leagues. He's one of the biggest existential threats in the DC universe. Him facing off against the Suicide Squad is a huge comedown. He feels like way too big a threat for the likes of the likes of Harley Quinn and Ratcatcher 2 ffs. But meh, it was fun how they did it. So I'll allow it, I guess.
He is, but he’s also fundamentally goofy, like so many other characters in the film. I think that was part of why the movie flopped. Clearly goofy was what Gunn was going for and I’m completely here for it, but I can see why it might have thrown the GA off. The first SS plays it pretty straight. You have a Dirty Dozen-esque plot with mostly normal (ish) “heroes.” Yeah, Croc is a strong guy with a skin condition but he’s not a cgi alligator and Diablo can make fire but otherwise looks like a normal dude and everyone else has guns/bladed/baseball bats.

In TSS you have the same Dirty Dozen setup but half the characters seem like they’re straight out of a cbm spoof. There’s cgi shark guy, polka dot man, look my arms come off guy, PenisHelmet…errr…Peacemaker, human weasel, vacuum tube head guy and the big bad is a giant alien starfish. Like I said I’m 100% here for it but I have no problem understanding why to some it came off as absurd.

idk man, GOTG looked as goofy as TSS to me.
The outer space setting makes a big difference in term of suspension of disbelief IMO. And again, the main cast is pretty normal. Two guys (ok one guy and one raccoon) with guns, two people with blades and an alien tree. The big bad is a blue man group groupie with a hammer.

It's saddening me how this film is underperforming in the box office. That plummet is rough. It fell from #1 to like #5

Is this movie not resonating with people? Or is it because people are opting to just watch it at home on HBO?

It's saddening me how this film is underperforming in the box office. That plummet is rough. It fell from #1 to like #5

Is this movie not resonating with people? Or is it because people are opting to just watch it at home on HBO?

A bit of both I'm afraid. This is one of those weird movies like Scott Pilgrim and Dredd that appeals to fans and critics but general audiences just do not care for.

to be fair I am in New Zealand and the crowd I saw was pretty decent for a Sunday late afternoon, like Winter Soldier size crowd (200M US/600-700M worldwide types). Maybe HBO Max just kills it and the Americans are more concerned with other stuff. Baseball and basketball have huge crowds

I do enjoy the detractors pointing at the box office results and comparing it to the original SS. That's not an apples to apples comparison. There are too many variables to account for. It seems silly to me that we're even arguing about it, frankly.

Would it have made a billion dollars under normal market conditions? No. I have my doubts that it would have exceeded the first movie's gross. That does not mean that it wouldn't have been profitable in a normal year.

If I never hear “Ben Affleck” and “Batman” in the same sentence again, I’ll be very happy.

Well, okay. Maybe if the sentence is: “Ben Affleck sucked as Batman.”

Hmm, interesting. For me he is pretty much the only reason I will watch "The Flash " movie, and I will skip most of future DC films becouse he wont be in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"