The Vice-President Joseph Biden Thread: 'Jury Duty' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell that to the people that 9-11 was created by the government or that the Iraq invasion was a massive neo-con conspiracy.

The 911 for truth people (aka truthers) are ******ed people with over active imaginations but as for the Invasion of Iraq, that actually has some credence. Every reason give to us as to why we went into Iraq has been disproved. So either the government was extremely incompetent or they knowingly mislead.

The Life of Biden

Nov. 20, 1942 — Joseph Robinette Biden born to car salesman Joseph R. Biden Sr. and Catherine Eugenia Finnegan in Scranton, Pa.

1953 — Moves to Claymont, Del., with parents and three siblings.

1961 — Graduates from Archmere Academy in Claymont, where he was a standout athlete but stuttered and was reluctant to speak publicly, despite his fascination with politics.

1965 — Graduates from the University of Delaware, where he majored in political science and history.

Aug. 27, 1966 — Marries New York native Neilia Hunter after meeting her two years earlier on a spring break trip in the Bahamas.

1968 — Graduates from Syracuse University School of Law. Begins work at Wilmington law firm and as a public defender. Admitted to Delaware bar a year later.

November 1970 — Elected to New Castle Town Council at 28.

November 1972 — Just short of his 30th birthday, Biden narrowly defeats Republican incumbent J. Caleb Boggs to become the fifth-youngest senator in history.

Dec. 18, 1972 — While Biden is in Washington, his wife and three children are involved in a car crash while Christmas shopping not far from their home in Delaware. Neilia and young daughter Naomi are killed. Two sons, Beau and Hunter, are critically injured but survive after lengthy hospitalizations.

Jan. 5, 1973 — Sworn in as senator at his sons’ bedside.

January 1975 — Appointed to Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

June 17, 1977 — Marries Jill Tracy Jacobs, a teacher from Delaware, following a two-year courtship. The couple have a daughter, Ashley, born in 1981.

November 1978 — Easily defeats Republican James H. Baxter Jr. for reelection.

November 1984 — Easily defeats Republican John M. Burris for reelection.

June 9, 1987 — Announces presidential candidacy at Wilmington’s train station, vowing to reverse Reagan-era policies.

September 1987 — Accused of plagiarizing speech by British Labour leader Neil Kinnock. Later claims he had often used the quote with attribution and simply forgot to credit Kinnock on the day he was videotaped. Days later, it’s discovered that he plagiarized a law review article in a class paper as a Syracuse law student. Biden also falsely claims he graduated in the "top half" of his class, when he finished 76th in a class of 85.

Oct. 23, 1987 — After a contentious set of confirmation hearings chaired by Biden, the U.S. Senate rejects the Supreme Court nomination of Robert H. Bork.

November 1990 — Wins reelection to the U.S. Senate with 63 percent of the vote.

October 1991 — Presides over the confirmation hearings of Clarence Thomas, drawing criticism from Democrats for his performance.

Sept. 13, 1994 — President Bill Clinton signs the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, a massive anti-crime bill Biden helped write. The so-called Biden Crime Bill included the Violence Against Women Act, authored by Biden.

November 1996 — Wins reelection to the U.S. Senate with 60 percent of the vote.

June 2001 — When Vermont Sen. Jim Jeffords leaves the Republican Party, Biden becomes chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. He loses the position when the GOP retakes the Senate in the 2002 elections.

September 2002 — Biden and Indiana Sen. Richard Lugar, the top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, co-author an alternative version of the Iraq war resolution that would have restricted the president’s war-making authority. It fails.

Oct. 11, 2002 — Biden votes to authorize the use of force in Iraq.

November 2002 — Wins reelection to the U.S. Senate with 58 percent of the vote.

Aug. 11, 2003 — Announces he will not run for president in 2004, saying his odds would be too much of a “long shot.”

Jan. 4, 2007 — With the swearing-in of the new Congress, Biden returns to his position as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Jan. 31, 2007 — Begins his candidacy for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination amid a field already crowded with high-profile candidates.

Jan. 3, 2008 — Drops out of presidential race after placing fifth in the Iowa caucuses, winning only 1 percent of the vote.

Aug. 23, 2008 — Joins Barack Obama on the Democratic ticket.

The Life of Biden
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12745.html

Matthews on Hardball reported that Biden's net worth is estimated at $100,000-150,000. Holy crap, I think my parents probably have a higher net worth than that.

I disagree man. He outmaneuvered her in that campaign as well as in college. The guy is brilliant.

Yes but he didn't single handedly run his campaign. They both had advisors and people working for them behind the scenes. and college is not all about IQ. I know some really stupid people with very good grades.

Doing good in college has a lot to do with discipline and work ethic. When Obama was a kid living in Indonesia, his mom woke him for three hour english lessons before sending him off to school.

Tell that to the people that 9-11 was created by the government or that the Iraq invasion was a massive neo-con conspiracy.

Just for the record I disagree with those people, but they aren't saying Bush was a master planner brains of the operation who single handedly carried that out. They believe he was in on it, behind it whatever, with other people working on it and contributing to it's success.

Yes but he didn't single handedly run his campaign. They both had advisors and people working for them behind the scenes. and college is not all about IQ. I know some really stupid people with very good grades.

Doing good in college has a lot to do with discipline and work ethic. When Obama was a kid living in Indonesia, his mom woke him for three hour english lessons before sending him off to school.

Yes, it is partially about work ethic. Obama was a B/C student when in high school and junior college because he just didn't try hard enough. But getting Magna *** Laude at Harvard Law is not easy. Hell, getting a degree from an Ivy League school is not easy. That's partially why I think Bush is a hell of a lot smarter than people give him credit for. Obama was also the editor for the Harvard Law Review, meaning he had to know his law stuff pretty darn well.

Matthews on Hardball reported that Biden's net worth is estimated at $100,000-150,000. Holy crap, I think my parents probably have a higher net worth than that.

That actually increases my opinion of him dramatically! To be in the senate that long and not have accepted enough bribes to be a multi millionaire does say something about his character!

That actually increases my opinion of him dramatically! To be in the senate that long and not have accepted enough bribes to be a multi millionaire does say something about his character!

Someone else wrote on another forum that his net worth is actually at -$300,000. That's right, he might even have a negative net worth. On Hardball, Matthews said that Biden took out a second mortgage on his house in order to help pay for his kid's college education. He commutes on the Amtrak train every day for 2-3 hours between Delaware and D.C. He doesn't have a house in D.C. or anything. He's very down to earth and a family man, despite being a Senator for so long.

Someone else wrote on another forum that his net worth is actually at -$300,000. That's right, he might even have a negative net worth. On Hardball, Matthews said that Biden took out a second mortgage on his house in order to help pay for his kid's college education. He commutes on the Amtrak train every day for 2-3 hours between Delaware and D.C. He doesn't have a house in D.C. or anything. He's very down to earth and a family man, despite being a Senator for so long.
That is impressive, and it should help out a lot with the ticket connecting to average blue collar workers.

That is impressive, and it should help out a lot with the ticket connecting to average blue collar workers.

Yeah. Biden has a great reputation in the blue collar areas of Pennsylvania because he grew up in Scranton. A lot of Pennsylvanians refer to him as the 3rd Senator from Pennsylvania. I think he will help Obama a lot with these voters and I hope that includes in Ohio.

Yeah. Biden has a great reputation in the blue collar areas of Pennsylvania because he grew up in Scranton. A lot of Pennsylvanians refer to him as the 3rd Senator from Pennsylvania. I think he will help Obama a lot with these voters and I hope that includes in Ohio.

We shall see, won't we?

Not to sound spiteful, but I think the fact that Biden may have a negative net worth should be even more of a red flag when deciding when to elect this ticket to run the nation's finances. Why is being fiscally responsible all of a sudden a bad thing in this country? I remember Biden once saying he grew up saying his parents never knew what a bond or mutual fund was ,..etc..etc....and that he continued to be ignorant of those concepts because that's the way he was raised. Not necessarily an admirable trait, IMO.

Not to sound spiteful, but I think the fact that Biden may have a negative net worth should be even more of a red flag when deciding when to elect this ticket to run the nation's finances. Why is being fiscally responsible all of a sudden a bad thing in this country? I remember Biden once saying he grew up saying his parents never knew what a bond or mutual fund was ,..etc..etc....and that he continued to be ignorant of those concepts because that's the way he was raised. Not necessarily an admirable trait, IMO.

John McCain admittedly knows nothing about economics...and he's the Republican presidential nominee!

John McCain has admitted he doesn't know jack squat about the economy. I would say Barack and Michelle Obama have done pretty well for themselves through the years. Worked their way up without marrying into a fortune, unlike McCain and his potential running mate Romney.

John McCain admittedly knows nothing about economics...and he's the Republican presidential nominee!

Marx...he didn't say he knows nothing about economics.....he said he isn't an knowledgeable on economics as much as he is on the military. Two different statements.

Marx...he didn't say he knows nothing about economics.....he said he isn't an knowledgeable on economics as much as he is on the military. Two different statements.

Or a difference in opinion of those hearing said statement. :cwink:

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fCijUhzqiMs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fCijUhzqiMs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

:hehe:

I think it's a bad choice.

I think Biden will be a factor in sinking Obama's ship.

Welcome to the boards UA-Archangel! :yay:

That said, please elaborate.

Thanks for welcoming me, you're the first. :)

Not being American, I cannot speak about the accomplishments of Joseph Biden, but I am a student of human nature.

In a nutshell, Biden is an attack dog. Attack dogs are great at being disruptive. They are great at sinking the other side's aspirations.

However, they aren't well known for being great policy makers.

I'm betting that Biden will shine in debates, because he can debate well. However, he'll hampered when it comes to communicating policy to the American people.

Thanks for welcoming me, you're the first. :)

Not being American, I cannot speak about the accomplishments of Joseph Biden, but I am a student of human nature.

In a nutshell, Biden is an attack dog. Attack dogs are great at being disruptive. They are great at sinking the other side's aspirations.

However, they aren't well known for being great policy makers.

I'm betting that Biden will shine in debates, because he can debate well. However, he'll hampered when it comes to communicating policy to the American people.

You're absolutely right about him playing the role of 'attack dog'.

But, Biden is also a very well respected 35 year veteran of the US Senate. He has been a part of alot of great legislation. He more than makes up for what Obama lacks.

You're absolutely right about him playing the role of 'attack dog'.

But, Biden is also a very well respected 35 year veteran of the US Senate. He has been a part of alot of great legislation. He more than makes up for what Obama lacks.

This is going to be a campaign that will be won and lost because of candidate's weaknesses.

We'll see if Biden is a factor in winning or losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"