• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Warcraft: War of The Ancients Trilogy Wishful Thinking Thread

HUMAN

Sidekick
Reaction score
In light of the Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy Wishful Thinking Thread I've decided to make one of my own.

We're getting a Warcraft movie sooner or later, but that's a different question. The question is, which story will the implement into the film(s)? Personally, as the title suggests, I think it should be the War of The Ancients trilogy. It begins relatively at the beginning of the lore and provides a good story arc trilogy like LOTR and is possible to let a film franchise to continue after the arc is over.

The First Book:

waroftheancients.jpg

A terrible howl echoed through the pass.

A massive, eight-legged lupine form dropped down on Rhonin. Had he been other than what he was, the wizard would have perished there, the meal of a savage, saber-toothed creature with four gleaming green eyes to go with its eight, clawed limbs. The monstrous wolf-creature brought him down, but Rhonin, having magicked his garments to better protect him from the elements, proved a hard nut to crack. The claws scraped at a cloak they should have readily tattered, only to have instead one nail snap off.

Gray fur standing on end, the beast howled its frustration. Rhonin took the opening, casting a simple but effective spell that had saved him in the past.

A cacophony of light burst before the creature's emerald orbs, both blinding and startling it. It ducked back, swatting uselessly at flashing patterns.

Dragging himself out of reach, Rhonin rose. There was no chance of flight; that would only serve to turn his back on the beast and his protective spell was already weakening. A few more slashes and the claws would be ripping the wizard to the bone.

Fire had worked against the ghoul on the island and Rhonin saw no reason why such a tried and true spell would not benefit him again. He muttered the words-

And suddenly they came out in reverse. Worse, Rhonin found himself moving backward, returning to the wild claws of the blinded beast.

Time had turned in on itself...but how?

demonsoul.jpg

sundering.jpg

Book 1:

Many months have passed since the cataclysmic Battle of Mount Hyjal, where the demonic Burning Legion was banished from Azeroth forever. But now, a mysterious energy rift within the mountains of Kalimdor propels three former warriors into the distant past - a time long before orcs, humans or even high elves roamed the land. A time when the Dark Titan, Sargeras, and his demon pawns persuaded Queen Azshara and her Highborne to cleanse Azeroth of its lesser races. A time when the Dragon Aspects were at the height of their power - unaware that one of their own would soon usher in an age of darkness that would engulf the world of Warcraft.

In the first chapter of this epic trilogy, the outcome of the historic War of the Ancients is forever altered by the arrival of three time-lost heroes: Krasus, the dragon mage whose great power and memories of the ancient conflict have inexplicably diminished; the human wizard Rhonin, whose thoughts are divided between his family and the seductive source of his now-growing power; and Broxigar, a weathered orc veteran who seeks a glorious death in combat. But unless these unlikely allies can convince the demigod, Cenarius, and the untrusting night elves of their queen's treachery, the Burning Legion's gateway into Azeroth will open anew. And this time - the struggles of the past may well spill over into the future...

Book 2:

Led by the mighty Archimonde, scores of demonic soldiers now march across the lands of Kalimdor, leaving a trail of death and devastation in their wake. At the heart of the fiery invasion stands the mystic Well of Eternity -- once the source of the night elves' arcane power. But now the Well's energies have been defiled and twisted, for Queen Azshara and her Highborne will stop at nothing to commune with their newfound god: the fiery Lord of the Burning Legion...Sargeras.

The night elf defenders, led by the young druid, Malfurion Stormrage, and the wizard, Krasus, fight a desperate battle to hold back the Legion's terrible onslaught. Though only embers of hope remain, an ancient power has risen to aid the world in its darkest hour. The dragons--led by the powerful Aspect, Neltharion--have forged a weapon of incalculable power: the Dragon Soul, an artifact capable of driving the Legion from the world forever. But its use may cost far more than any could have forseen.

Book 3:

The hour of wrath draws near…

The valiant night elves have been shattered by the loss of their beloved general. The black dragon, Neltharion, has claimed the Demon Soul and scattered the mighty dragonflights to the winds. Above all, the demonlord, Archimonde, has led the Burning Legion to the very brink of victory over Kalimdor. As the land and its denizens reel from this unstoppable evil, a terror beyond all reckoning draws ever near from the Well of Eternity’s depths…

In the final, apocalyptic chapter of this epic trilogy, the dragon-mage Krasus and the young druid Malfurion must risk everything to save Azeroth from utter destruction. Banding together the dwarves, tauren and furbolg races, the heroes hope to spark an alliance to stand against the might of the Burning Legion. For if the Demon Soul should fall into the Legion’s hands, all hope for the world will be lost. This then, is the hour…where past and future collide!

world of warcraft is so lame

I'm a 10th level wizard :)
But I still live in my mom's basement :(

Ha ha

hippy fascist said:
world of warcraft is so lame

I'm a 10th level wizard :)
But I still live in my mom's basement :(

Ha ha
FYI, level 10 is pretty low.:cwink: :woot: (and there is no "wizard" class)

Anyways...I haven't read the books, only played the game, so I might go see a movie if it's not a cheap LOTR ripoff.

If they ever made Warcraft movies id like to see three seperate films instead of a trilogy. Each one telling the story of a different race.

In Warcraft One: The story of the Dwarves and Gnomes.
In Warcraft Two: The story of the Night Elves.
In Warcraft Three: The story of the Humans.

They would be three different films but all of them connected like characters crossing over in each.

Who would be a worthy director?

Uwe Boll?

*vomits*

Sounds cool (the trilogy). I'd just be worried about too many LOTR comparisons.

In light of the Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy Wishful Thinking Thread I've decided to make one of my own.

We're getting a Warcraft movie sooner or later, but that's a different question. The question is, which story will the implement into the film(s)? Personally, as the title suggests, I think it should be the War of The Ancients trilogy. It begins relatively at the beginning of the lore and provides a good story arc trilogy like LOTR and is possible to let a film franchise to continue after the arc is over.

Should War of the Ancients be the story they choose to go with? Absolutely, 100% yes. If making a movie titled WAR-craft, wouldn't it make sense for it to be about the first recorded war in the universe? Will common sense prevail in the making of this movie? Probably not. Sam Raimi is a more than competent and trustworthy director but I don't see common sense prevailing, nor do I see this film or films being about the War of the Ancients. It's really sad too, hollywood could really show they learned a lesson and put an end to the prequels after sequels movement.

Anyways...I haven't read the books, only played the game, so I might go see a movie if it's not a cheap LOTR ripoff.
Early budget reports the initial budget to be $100 million. So, we know it won't be cheap. As far as it being a ripoff of LOTR - impossible. There IS a part of the world in World of Warcraft that is similar to the world in LOTR but the World of Warcraft universe has one thing that LOTR does not... VASTLY superior technology. There are motorcycles, helicopter, vast subway systems and more in the World of Warcraft, it is in no way like LOTR.

If they ever made Warcraft movies id like to see three seperate films instead of a trilogy. Each one telling the story of a different race.

In Warcraft One: The story of the Dwarves and Gnomes.
In Warcraft Two: The story of the Night Elves.
In Warcraft Three: The story of the Humans.

They would be three different films but all of them connected like characters crossing over in each.

The possible directions for this franchise are so vast in number that choosing which way to go with the story is probably the hardest part.

We heard the War of the Ancients idea. We've heard your idea. I'll comment and post some more.

Warcraft Storyline Ideas
WAR OF THE ANCIENTS - this is pretty much the first recorded thing in the timeline of the story. It only makes sense to start here. The story would likely focus on Illidan and Malfurion.

STORY OF THE RACES OF AZEROTH
Your idea wasn't bad but you forgot the Draenei. AND you forgot the horde races as well. Many, many Warcraft faithful would be highly agitated at the omission of Thrall and the Horde.

THE FORMING OF THE FACTIONS
Although they really are kinda broad spectrum's, telling the stories to the forming of the Alliance, Horde, and Scourge is one way to go also.

THE THREE WARS
These are the events that pretty much lead up to the current time in World of Warcraft and this is probably the route I think it should be unless they plan on doing more than a trilogy.

Warcraft: The First War
Warcraft: The Second War
Warcraft: The Third War

AN ALL-NEW WORLD OF WARCRAFT
Could be done post Arthas, post Lich King, post Cataclysm. A new start for the book series, a new start for the game series.

Who would be a worthy director?

Uwe Boll?

*vomits*
Sam Raimi(Spider-man, Darkman, Evil Dead) is directing, and Robert Rodat(Saving Private Ryan, The Patriot) is writing, and Brandon Routh(Superman Returns, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) is making a pitch to star in. http://warcraft-themovie.com/index.html

Do you remember the days when Warcraft stood for violent and gory battles in a medieval-ish fantasy world, before it turned into a cartoon world?

how about we start off with the Burning Crusade?

Do you remember the days when Warcraft stood for violent and gory battles in a medieval-ish fantasy world, before it turned into a cartoon world?

No.

I've played all of the Warcraft games and they've always been very stylized and not super serious.

No.

I've played all of the Warcraft games and they've always been very stylized and not super serious.

not super serious but also not colourful like WoW. THe old games were full of blood and gore, even in the in-game render clips.

Are we denying even that now?

edit (found a clip): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgJK4WpOImM

Compare that to that cheesy WoW and Warcraft 3 :hrt:

The film will be the greatest film of all time if the did a trilogy based on this:

Warcaft: - Based on Thrall and the Forsaken, ending with Illidan in the shadows silhouetted behind a moon with Twin blades of Azzinoth glowing.

Warcraft 2: Illidan - The whole burning crusade saga, with a strong group now formed with different classes and great armor with enchanted weapons, the colors here would be intense and tbh they should be using James Cameron's CGI techniques to render the Orcs and all non-humans actually.

Warcraft 3: Fall of Arthas! - So towards the end of Warcraft2: Illidan, they should have the whole Arthas thing going on setting up this one, and in this one the group will be epically equipped and Main character should have a love interest going on just for the drama and tragedy aspect.

^ Thats the dream with all films just clocking in under 3 hours each, maybe more with a blu-ray directors/Blizzard/Metzn edition!

OR Just make a trilogy based on Arthas and Illidan!

The film will be the greatest film of all time if the did a trilogy based on this:

Warcaft: - Based on Thrall and the Forsaken, ending with Illidan in the shadows silhouetted behind a moon with Twin blades of Azzinoth glowing.

Warcraft 2: Illidan - The whole burning crusade saga, with a strong group now formed with different classes and great armor with enchanted weapons, the colors here would be intense and tbh they should be using James Cameron's CGI techniques to render the Orcs and all non-humans actually.

Warcraft 3: Fall of Arthas! - So towards the end of Warcraft2: Illidan, they should have the whole Arthas thing going on setting up this one, and in this one the group will be epically equipped and Main character should have a love interest going on just for the drama and tragedy aspect.

^ Thats the dream with all films just clocking in under 3 hours each, maybe more with a blu-ray directors/Blizzard/Metzn edition!

OR Just make a trilogy based on Arthas and Illidan!

Given what I know about the World of Warcraft universe and lore, there is around 100 characters worth using. All could not be implemented in one film or even three films due to there being different eras that are 1000's of years apart. The era I found that can utilize the most is the era with these:

1. Lo ‘Gosh(aka “The Ghost Wolf”, aka King Varian Wrynn) - just found the story of Lo 'Gosh and how he became Lo 'Gosh and I think it's perfect for the big screen. If I had to choose a hero for this story, this is who I'd choose.
2. Warchief Thrall - probably everyone's favorite besides Arthas. I imagine his story would probably be instituted at some point via a flashback or some such thing.
3. Prince Arthas Menethil(aka The Lich King) - The Anakin/Darth Vader of the Warcraft universe and it's those similarities that would keep me from using him as the main character. That, and the story would probably end on a downer if it were about him.
4. Jaina Proudmoore - she is all over the place in the storyline's I am seeing. I'm not sure how I'd use her but her close ties to Arthas and Thrall make her an obvious inclusion.
5. Me ‘dan - I don't believe he's been used much yet and still probably shouldn't be but I think he's going to go down as the most powerful spell wielder ever. The son of Medivh is 1/4 orc, 1/4 Draenei, 1/4 human, and arguably - 1/4 TITAN.
6. Illidan Stormrage - another Anakin/Vader dynamic not quite to the level of Arthas but with Illidan and Malfurion both being damn near immortals they can serve any era, any storyline, in any capacity.
7. Malfurion Stormrage - The story of Malfurion and his brother Illidan could be a movie itself and could encompass everything from The War of the Ancients to the present. I just see it as too much and probably think they are best used in a supporting capacity.
8. Tyrande Whisperwind - the wench who came between Illidan and Malfurion.
9. Sicco Thermaplug - The Gnomes and their technology are an absolute must to be included. It is what seperates Warcraft from LOTR and any other film in that fantasy genre. Could go with High Tinker Gelbin Mekatorque but Sicco, the runner-up to becoming High Tinker, is far more intresting.
10. Uther the Lightbringer - As Arthas goes, he goes. If Arthas isn't involved in the story maybe Uther and the Knights of the Silver Hand could still be involved but only in a minor capacity.
11. Brann Bronzebeard - My gut says go with the dwarves. My fist says go with the dwarves. My heart and head both say to stay away from the dwarves. If I were going to go at it from a dwarf perspective I'd go with Brann over his two brothers, Muradin and Magni. The best story of all might lie with the dwarves but... no one wants to write from a dwarven perspective and no one wants to sit through three movies, or even one, from a dwarf perspective. How to separate these dwarves from the dwarves in LOTR is the more pressing issue for a Warcraft movie.
12. Muradin Bronzebeard
13. Magni Bronzebeard
14. Aegwyn - Titans and Dragons aside, she is the mother of the story. This, however, does not mean Medivh is the story.
15. Medivh -
16. Gul ‘dan -
17. Archimonde -
18. Gelbin Mekkatorque - the 'King' of the gnomes, a race that must be included. I don't see how he is not included.
19. Grom Hellscream - if telling the story of Thrall, it'd be hard not to include Grom. That could lead up to Grom and the Horde defeating Cenarius due to Grom and his troops drinking the blood of the pit lord Mannoroth the Destroyer, thus binding the Horde to the Burning Legion and rendering them slaves. This would end in an epic battle involving Thrall and Grom against Mannoroth.
20. Garrosh Hellscream -
21. Rhonin -
22. Velen -
23. Rexxar -
24. Ogrimm Doomhammer -
25. Kel 'thuzad -
26. Kil ‘jaeden -
27. Cairne Bloodhoof -
28. Sylvanas Windrunner -
29. Prince Anduin Wrynn(the boy king) - if telling the story of Lo 'Gosh, it'd be hard not to tell the story of Lady Prestor(Onyxia) convincing that this boy be appointed King in an unexplained absence of Varian Wrynn.
30. Malygos -
31. Gearmaster Mechazod -
32. Cenarius -
33. Bolvar Fordragon(aka The Lich King II) -
34. Lady Prestor/Onyxia - Her ties to Varian Wrynn and, more importantly, his son coupled with a definite need for a dragon or two make her an obvious inclusion for me.
35. Deathwing - Onyxia's fathjer would make him a non-stretch of an addition but I'm not sure I would want to get this close to the Cataclysm storyline.
36. Sargeras - The Titan who fell from grace and went rogue. Honestly, if Titan's start being included in this then it's going to another level. He'd be the first one to mention though.

The story of Lo' Gosh and how Varian Wrynn became Lo 'Gosh is pretty good and is one I really didn't hear much about until recently doing some research. It's a story, in my opinion, that could harness all these other characters and the lore that comes along with them.

As for the more broad story to be used, these characters lend themselves to one of four options:

1. The Story of The Three Wars.
2. The Rise and Fall of the Lich King.
3. a new story, post original Warcraft and within the parameters of the World of Warcraft storylines.
4. a new story, post Cataclysm storyline and world.

I favor The Story of Three Wars, with Lo 'Gosh being the main character when all is said and done. The only problem with that is there would still be a pretty clear story left to tell, even if each film in a potential trilogy was about each of the three wars.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What this story really needs in order to be a success is a reason to be told and a moral to the story. It's probably a really long, long shot but...

THE STORY THAT NEEDS TO BE TOLD
The story of whoever in the holy hell on Azeroth pissed off Sargeras?

THE MORAL
Don't piss-off a Titan.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"