The Wrestling Thread is great! The Wrestling Thread is special!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Styles is killing it right now in the ring, on the mic and with fans. He even got some people to boo Ambrose during the match.

Hmmmmmm doesn't Cena need one more title win to beat Flair?

^ Which likely won't ever happen.*

* Cena intimated as much during his Q&A panel at Salt Lake Comic-Con 9 days ago

remember when fans thought these guys wouldn't amount to much in WWE due to thier size
image34324.jpg

l_a9e0bf30778d44d6816a6822b4df301a.jpg

9a7c7ec00dbb004578f915d7b09f4d056ddf173f_hq.jpg

AJ_Styles_-_Allen_Lloyd_Jones_05.jpg

good times:woot:
tumblr_nvn5v830Ki1rfd7lko1_500.gif

We have Triple H to thank for changing the way WWE views a top guy. No way Bryan would've main evented Wrestlemania if Hunter wasn't in a better position of power.

Styles made history by becoming the first man to win the NWA, TNA, IWGP, and WWE Championships! Very cool.

Last edited:
Have to agree. Trips isn't perfect but he's a big reason why WWE's philosophy changed. Of course Punk was the guy that knocked that door down for guys.

AJ Styles has got wrestling moves for days.

Naomi was doing great until that botch.

So happy Becky finally won. Straight Fire!

Alexa 'Quinn' Bliss was good tonight. She didn't attack as much as I would like I thought she did pretty well.
Styles is Wwe champ
Owens is Universal champ

Talk about a new era in wwe!!!!!
Becky Lynch is women's champion
Heath Slater and Rhyno are tag champs
Kevin Owens Universal Champ

God is real y'all.

I never thought I would see the day when these wrestlers held gold in the WWE. Kudos for the WWE finally giving the fans what they want and putting gold on these wrestlers.
The Usos should've won the belts, not Slater and Rhyno.
The Usos are going to feud with American Alpha and that doesn't require the title being involved.

Uso evil!
It's amazing the fan reactions and the following that Slater has now compared to when he started with Nexus. He's the most successful member of that group because Bray Wyatt has never won any titles in WWE.
I think fans have usually found Heath Slater entertaining. Him getting a good angle and some camera time was the extra ingredient he needed to get mega over.

Heath Slater is the one man brand baby!

Was that a "Heath's got kids" chant when the Usos were beating him down?

Bray Wyatt must have one of the biggest winless records for a wrestler that isn't a jobber in the WWE today. Rarely has Bray won a singles match in the WWE.

Last edited:
My two biggest gripes from last night:
1. Once Naomi missed that head-scissors over the ropes, her and Natalya should have just let it go instead of forcing it like they did.
2. I wanted Ziggler to win. Or, at the very least, have gad Daniel Bryan come out, eject Maryse and restart the match.

I'm so happy for AJ Styles. He's been one of my favourite wrestlers since 2002, and has only got better and better over the years since then. There was a sad period where I thought his endless potential would be squandered and that he'd tied himself to the sinking ship of TNA for good, but I was so relieved when he realised they would never give him the appreciation he deserved and left for Japan. It's been constant upward trajectory since then.

But even at that, even a year ago, if you'd asked me if I thought AJ Styles would be WWE World Champion by now, I'd have said no way. Even when he debuted, I had high hopes, but imagined he would likely end up as a "solid hand" just outside the top tier helping to elevate the chosen banner stars. And even when it seemed WWE did actually realise what they had with him, I thought it might be a slower boil until he reached the top. I'm so glad I was wrong.

Fact is, AJ Styles may just be too good to ignore now. We are at the point now where there's a legit argument to be made that the current WWE World Champion is the best wrestler in the world today. He can work as heel or as a face, the fans love him, he is a total professional with no ego who seems to be liked by just about everyone, he can have great matches with just about anyone in any style - high-flying, technical, brawling, the WWE "big match" style - and, the final piece of the puzzle for him, he has now shown he can cut consistently strong promos, funny or serious. He really is the total package, with all the tools to be a flagship star.

Backlash was quite enjoyable.
Why didnt they have a unqiue stage? I loved the backlash logo, a nice stage would have made it look even cooler.

The womans match was really good.
Even Naomi, who is still a bit weak on the little details, did good.
I would have booked it a bit different so that the carmella/nikki feud got more fire and have Alexa vs Becky for the finale minutes...but okay.
Alexa was really good, i liked her harley quinn like look...Nikki on the other hand failed with her Wonder Woman look...i dont like any of the bellas.
Doesnt matter...Since BECKY WON...woho.
BECKY LYNCH IS THE WWE SMACKDOWN WOMANS CHAMPION...HELL YEAH.

She deserves it more then anybody, im so happy for her.:woot:

Heel usos are so good, this should have happened years ago.

Slater and Rhyno are really enjoyable.

Ziggler vs Miz was fantastic.
They both do good work currently, both deserve the title.
Would have loved to see ziggler win the title, but Miz winning like this was fitting for his and Maryse Character.

What they do with Bray is a crime...its disgusting.
I start to think that he fully controls his promos, there is no way that the same guys who book him so awful...write his promo stuff for him.
What kind of idiot would let him do these promos and then books him to lose "all" his matches and feuds?
Not even Russo would have done something so idiotic.
Bray is such a great talent, he has everything you need...but the booking team completely holds him back...are they insane?
It takes a lot of the fun out of Backlash...im getting really annoyed at the way they book him.

Ambrose had a good title reign, for his first it was quite enjoyable.
But no matter what, Styles is the absolute best in the WWE currently.
So giving him the belt was the only logical thing.
As the contender, i think ambrose has more fire.

I won't even object to John Cena eventually coming back and taking the title off AJ... provided they don't hotshot it and hold off until WrestleMania. Their matches together are dynamite, and Styles has the makings to be the great recurring nemesis for Cena, the other half of an Austin/Rock or Hart/HBK like they've wanted, with a few others coming close over the years.

A double turn with AJ turning face and Ambrose turning heel on Smackdown would be great but I doubt it. Still awesome though and AJ is fantastic in either role!

Can we get more of Alexa in pig-tails please? It was quite, aesthetically pleasing. ;)

Also I was kind of surprised that they eliminated her first. I thought that she'd be in the final 2 or 3 honestly.

I'm so happy for AJ Styles. He's been one of my favourite wrestlers since 2002, and has only got better and better over the years since then. There was a sad period where I thought his endless potential would be squandered and that he'd tied himself to the sinking ship of TNA for good, but I was so relieved when he realized they would never give him the appreciation he deserved and left for Japan. It's been constant upward trajectory since then.

But even at that, even a year ago, if you'd asked me if I thought AJ Styles would be WWE World Champion by now, I'd have said no way. Even when he debuted, I had high hopes, but imagined he would likely end up as a "solid hand" just outside the top tier helping to elevate the chosen banner stars. And even when it seemed WWE did actually realise what they had with him, I thought it might be a slower boil until he reached the top. I'm so glad I was wrong.

Fact is, AJ Styles may just be too good to ignore now. We are at the point now where there's a legit argument to be made that the current WWE World Champion is the best wrestler in the world today. He can work as heel or as a face, the fans love him, he is a total professional with no ego who seems to be liked by just about everyone, he can have great matches with just about anyone in any style - high-flying, technical, brawling, the WWE "big match" style - and, the final piece of the puzzle for him, he has now shown he can cut consistently strong promos, funny or serious. He really is the total package, with all the tools to be a flagship star.

I agree with everything you said. He's like Shawn Michaels if he was never a pr*ck, lol.

I feel like they gave him the belt to make up for losing the feud with Reigns (that Payback match though is still my favorite main event this year so far for the sole fact that The Phenomenal One defeated The Powerhouse before the SummerSlam rehash booking came). Their way of correcting a mistake so to speak. Coincidentally, at the expense of another member of The Shield.

Seriously, if somebody told me one year ago that AJ Styles would be in the WWE AND win their world title, I would've thought they were nuts!

Why didnt they have a unqiue stage? I loved the backlash logo, a nice stage would have made it look even cooler.

Budget cuts sadly.

I won't even object to John Cena eventually coming back and taking the title off AJ... provided they don't hotshot it and hold off until WrestleMania. Their matches together are dynamite, and Styles has the makings to be the great recurring nemesis for Cena, the other half of an Austin/Rock or Hart/HBK like they've wanted, with a few others coming close over the years.

I agree. They should try their best to build up to a WM match now, holding off any further matches until then to make them special.

It is impressive that the WWE has kept the world title off Cena for a while now. I think the WWE are saving Cena tying Ric Flairs world title record until Wrestlemania.

While I too enjoyed the PPV last night, I think it is no coincidence that in the very first brand-exclusive PPV, a Smackdown-exclusive no less, about 95% of the results were the ones that fans like us wanted.

My thoughts on the night:

-Glad that Becky won. I kinda expected them to give the belt to Nikki because it would be a "great return story," but I also felt they might go with shocking and have Eva Marie return to cause some interference allowing Alexa to win or something. But I'm glad they went with the most obvious and qualified person.

- In regards to the Tag Titles, WWE has a history of milking the cow until its dry, so I expected the Usos to go all the way, allowing them to have a decent run until AA returns for revenge, while also give Heath some more to do. I'm not too surprised they went the straight route and gave the belt to them, but I fully expect them to drop the belt on Tuesday if they have a rematch or something against the Usos. But hopefully that's not the case, and they legitimize Heath Slater in the process.

- Shoutout to Corbin and Crews. I find them both boring but they put on a really good match in the pre-show. It really had me invested just to see who would win.

- For Dolph vs The Miz, I was kinda expect Bryan to come down and cost the Miz the match after all of the mocking, but then again, I guess that would force them to either put up or shut up in terms of a match between the two. I kinda hoped Dolph would win, but I hope this loss does lead to a change in attitude or something for him. At this post, he's nothing but a glorified jobber.

-I dind't really care about Orton/Bray, but kudos for them trying to work a story around the fact that Orton wasn't cleared and they screwed up by not having that cleared beforehand. But the decision to make Bray lose, even with interference, is mind-boggling. The guy seriously can't catch a break and its a big reason why I don't want to see him in the Main Event scene.

- Last but not least, my boy did it!!!!! AJ Styles is truly the face that runs the place. He just does everything better than everyone else and he definitely pushed Dean to the limit. My only worry is that Cena will come and ruin this at some point. Rumor has it that he will work at No Mercy, but will then miss the rest of the year to film his show, so it may not happen anytime soon, but I really hope AJ holds the belt until the end of the year.

Overall, while Smackdown is the more lackluster show, I feel like Team Blue put on a great show last night, especially since they were given more time than they are each week.

Smackdown is a lackluster show? It's been the overall better than Raw since the draft..IMO

Smackdown is a lackluster show? It's been the overall better than Raw since the draft..IMO
9Don't get me wrong, Raw set the bar too high after the draft and has steadily declined since, but they've still had big moments like the UC being crowned and Bayley debuting. Smackdown, on the other hand, gets by more on its humor, but aside from the Miz promo on Talking Smack, it's been pretty lackluster, especially with Dean "Resting on his Laurels" Ambrose at helm.

Their lack of depth really shows when they go beyond Cena, AJ, Dean, Orton and Bray, and even the WWE still treats it like the B show.

Smackdown finally having a tag team and women's division with Becky being champion and AJ as the top guy with the wwe title could improve Smackdown even much more

Sounds like La Sombra AKA Andrade "Cien" Almas wants out:
Alberto Del Rio said:
I talked to my good friend Manny and poor guy, he wants to come back. Unfortunately, when you go into that company you have to abide by their rules. That's just how it is. It's the nature of our business. I always put it like this. There is a problem with all the talent that goes there, it's the inability to speak the language. They have the talent but when you go work for a company like this, you have to, I say this, something my great mentor Dean Malenko would tell me. Everything you know, forget it, delete the tape. You are starting from nothing. Use one of the moves or things that will help you get over but forget about lucha libre. Lucha libre will not work here. You will never be anything if you focus and stick to being a luchador in WWE.

I adapted and changed myself. I have been the only one to go on and win everything that I won. So that's what I think is the formula. I told Manny this the last time I saw him. He asked me if things were different on the main roster. I told him, "Things are going to get worse up there."

Two steps forward, one step back with WWE it seems.

Being better than Raw doesn't make it good.

Every major wrestling show on American television is better than Raw. Impact, ROH TV, Lucha Underground, NXT, NJPW on AXS, etc.

Three hours is still way too long. You could watch ROH, LU, and NXT in the same time it takes to get through one excruciating episode of Raw.

Didn't watch Backlash live last night #becausefootball, but kept up with the results via the thread and Twitter. I skimmed through the show earlier this morning, and I'm absolutely thrilled for AJ, who has been my favorite wrestler for years now. Gotta credit WWE for doing the right thing here...this is AJ's time, and they pulled the trigger on him right when they should have. I've always felt that Styles works best as a face, but I can't deny that he's crushing it as a heel these days. The success he's having in WWE is pleasantly surprising...I wasn't sure Vince would give him anything beyond an Intercontinental title run.

Also happy for Heath Slater...I've always found him to be entertaining. Kinda cool to see the crowd get behind him like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"