Themiscrya & The Amazons discussion thread

Primal Slayer

Let the Siren scream
Reaction score
Themyscira & The Amazons
20f68zr.jpg

Thoughts on the portrayal of the Themyscira, the Amazons? Hopes for for the future?

Last edited:
My favorite part of the movie hands down. I wish we had spent half the movie there getting to meet more of the Amazons, their culture, etc.

The whole training montage was perfect.

I hope at some point (WW2?) Diana returns.

I would love to see the origin of the Amazons onscreen one day, not just through a painting/storybook montage. More of their earlier life among man. I wanted to see them interact with the gods but I guess that's for another movie.

I liked the depiction of the Amazons but it really only focused on the warrior culture, would like to see other aspects.

Maybe there is a chance now of even rogue Amazons, or maybe civil war (as early rumours suggested that that was one idea floating around.)

I'd really like it if they incorporated Dooms Doorway to the Amazons/Island
3641556-pic03.jpg

They really made the island very beautiful and practically how I envisioned it.

I do wish Hippolytas council was a bit more well rounded from what we saw.

One part that was REALLY interesting to me was the veil surrounding Themiscrya. The closer you got the foggier it got and more dark which I assume would cause plenty to turn around.

Last edited:
I would love to see the origin of the Amazons onscreen one day, not just through a painting/storybook montage. More of their earlier life among man. I wanted to see them interact with the gods but I guess that's for another movie.

I liked the depiction of the Amazons but it really only focused on the warrior culture, would like to see other aspects.

Maybe there is a chance now of even rogue Amazons, or maybe civil war (as early rumours suggested that that was one idea floating around.)

Same here. Diana's banter with Steve on knowing about dancing and dismissing the "swaying" she was seeing would have some due context if it was shown what the Amazons engaged in when it came to recreation activities such as dancing.

Honestly, I thought it was a little underdeveloped. Looked great, but compare it to say the animated Wonder Woman movie, they didn't do much with the Amazons.

OK, I think this is not a spoiler, but I want to ask where are they (Amazons) keeping things like Motherbox ?

It was not in the tower that Diana climbed to get her armor and sword, is she even aware of it's existence ? (As shown in JL teaser, we know that Amazons have a motherbox)

I think that her mother Queen Hippolyta is hiding many secrets from her, maybe a few Greek gods are also alive.

Last edited:
It definitely felt like we only got a glimpse of the Amazonian culture.

I think that was appropriate, within the scope of this movie, though, and there is plenty of time to develop certain aspects further in future films.

I'm not sure how that will work exactly, but they certainly have a solid foundation to build on.

It's nice to see that the Amazons will apparently appear in JL.

I hope the mother/daughter reunion happens and we get a good amount of Themiscyra in JL which will be the focal point of WW's arc in that movie. I want the sequel freed up of mythology/Amazons/The Past so Wonder Woman can finally be sold as a modern superhero.

On another note, what was up with the Amazons being credited names offscreen? Why even bother? And who was the black lady in the blue dress chasing down Young Diana? Phillipus?

I thought they were portrayed well.

Though I thought it was a bit narratively strange that they didn't appear after the first act of the film though, especially Hippolyta.

I would've loved more scenes in Themyscira, and not just training but them going about their ordinary business like enjoying life, playing music, going to their temple, walking along the beach etc. They did this in the animated movie if I recall correctly.

I'm assuming they just didn't want to blow their load in the first movie. Perhaps if the first was set predominantly in Man's world, the sequel will focus more on Themyscira?

I hope the mother/daughter reunion happens and we get a good amount of Themiscyra in JL which will be the focal point of WW's arc in that movie. I want the sequel freed up of mythology/Amazons/The Past so Wonder Woman can finally be sold as a modern superhero.

On another note, what was up with the Amazons being credited names offscreen? Why even bother? And who was the black lady in the blue dress chasing down Young Diana? Phillipus?

Her tutor. I don't know the character or actress though.

I think we could've seen more temples.

Also, would've been nice to see the Amazons in those classic white Greek dresses, especially Diana.

The closest thing we got to that was Gal in that blue dress which somehow managed to look Grecian on her. But I wanted to see that in white on the Amazons when they're not training for battle. They shouldn't always be dressed as warriors.

OK, I think this is not a spoiler, but I want to ask where are they (Amazons) keeping things like Motherbox ?

It was not in the tower that Diana climbed to get her armor and sword, is she even aware of it's existence ? (As shown in JL teaser, we know that Amazons have a motherbox)

I think that her mother Queen Hippolyta is hiding many secrets from her, maybe a few Greek gods are also alive.

I think there would be many more places in Themyscira, tunnels, buildings etc. They could certainly incorporate things like Doom's Doorway (as mentioned.)

I don't expect a movie entirely set on Themyscira for the sequel but it can certainly turn out to be a place different than what we first saw, more complicated, full of (more) secrets etc. To serve what ever plot they come up with next (just as they are doing for JL.)

I think there would be many more places in Themyscira, tunnels, buildings etc. They could certainly incorporate things like Doom's Doorway (as mentioned.)

I don't expect a movie entirely set on Themyscira for the sequel but it can certainly turn out to be a place different than what we first saw, more complicated, full of (more) secrets etc. To serve what ever plot they come up with next (just as they are doing for JL.)

Isn't Themyscira just one island (the central island with the city) in a group of islands or an archipelago? And aren't the whole group of islands referred to as the Paradise Islands? Well at least that's what it was in the comics I think.

Although Themyscira was just Paradise Island (singular not a group of islands) when it was first created.

In the movie

Steve Trevor seems to just be referring to Themyscira colloquially as Paradise Island.

I think we could've seen more temples.

Also, would've been nice to see the Amazons in those classic white Greek dresses, especially Diana.

The closest thing we got to that was Gal in that blue dress which somehow managed to look Grecian on her. But I wanted to see that in white on the Amazons when they're not training for battle. They shouldn't always be dressed as warriors.

I too, expected to see some Temples like Temple of Athena in Themyscira and wanted to see some classic Greek white dresses as shown in George Perez WW comics.

I too, expected to see some Temples like Temple of Athena in Themyscira and wanted to see some classic Greek white dresses as shown in George Perez WW comics.

Hopefully in the sequel.

I'd really like it if they incorporated Dooms Doorway to the Amazons/Island
3641556-pic03.jpg

They really made the island very beautiful and practically how I envisioned it.

I do wish Hippolytas council was a bit more well rounded from what we saw.

One part that was REALLY interesting to me was the veil surrounding Themiscrya. The closer you got the foggier it got and more dark which I assume would cause plenty to turn around.

This would've been a cool scene. But the pants she's wearing in this comic panel look way too modern and anachronistic and not like something that is traditional Greek dress at all.

One thing I do wonder is, do the Amazons have any plans or practices for replenishing their numbers? Sure, for thousands of years they've lived isolated and safe, but surely they've at least considered "What do we do if we need to go to war again?"

Isn't Themyscira just one island (the central island with the city) in a group of islands or an archipelago? And aren't the whole group of islands referred to as the Paradise Islands? Well at least that's what it was in the comics I think.

Although Themyscira was just Paradise Island (singular not a group of islands) when it was first created.

In the movie

Steve Trevor seems to just be referring to Themyscira colloquially as Paradise Island.

I have seen it depicted as one main island with a few little islands surrounding it before.

Someone here said that Themyscira is the capital city?

I looked it up just now and this is what it says, though I haven't heard it referred too much as "The Paradise Islands":

Themyscira is the capital city that serves as the Amazon peoples' government and place of origin for Wonder Woman. The name for the entire archipelago became "The Paradise Islands", when the city was renamed "Themyscira" with the character's February 1987 relaunch in Wonder Woman (vol. 2) #1.[1] Both the island and city are named after the mythological city of Themiscyra, the capital of the Amazon tribe in Greek mythology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Themyscira_(DC_Comics)

I think in the movie, the main island is called both Themyscira and Paradise Island. There might be some smaller islands surrounding it, I'm not sure.

One thing I do wonder is, do the Amazons have any plans or practices for replenishing their numbers? Sure, for thousands of years they've lived isolated and safe, but surely they've at least considered "What do we do if we need to go to war again?"

In the New 52 comics, to replenish their numbers, they show the Amazons boarding ships, making the men on board impregnate them, killing the men and then when they give birth, if they give birth to boys, they sell them off to Hephaestus and keep the girls.

I don't think the movie will go that far. I guess what they could do is ask the gods?

Because they are immortal, they're usually depicted as the same set number of Amazons.

Last edited:
I have seen it depicted as one main island with a few little islands surrounding it before.

Someone here said that Themyscira is the capital city?

I looked it up just now and this is what it says, though I haven't heard it referred too much as "The Paradise Islands":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Themyscira_(DC_Comics)

I think in the movie, the main island is called both Themyscira and Paradise Island. There might be some smaller islands surrounding it, I'm not sure.

In the New 52 comics, to replenish their numbers, they show the Amazons boarding ships, making the men on board impregnate them, killing the men and then when they give birth, if they give birth to boys, they sell them off to Hephaestus and keep the girls.

I don't think the movie will go that far. I guess what they could do is ask the gods?

Because they are immortal, they're usually depicted as the same set number of Amazons.

Was it actually ever called Paradise Island by the Amazons in the movie? Or was that only Steve Trevor's colloquial way of referring to it? Maybe he had trouble saying "Themyscira" or couldn't quite remember the name, so he just described it as what he saw it as. In any event, I think Paradise Island is just the informal name for it, even if the Amazons used that.

I see a Phillipus is credited on IMDb but I don't remember her at all.

Did they name any of the Amazons? I don't remember Menalippe or Venelia who was portrayed by Doutzen Kroes.

I see a Phillipus is credited on IMDb but I don't remember her at all.

She had like 1 line. But she was with Hippolyta whenever they would be walking.

That was a let down not having majority of the Amazons be of any real importance, especially the bigger named ones.

Did they name any of the Amazons? I don't remember Menalippe or Venelia who was portrayed by Doutzen Kroes.

They named a lot of them
tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo3_400.png
tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo2_400.png

tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo7_r1_400.png
tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo1_r1_400.png

tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo8_r1_400.png
tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo9_r2_400.png

tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo5_r1_400.png
tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo6_r1_400.png

Ann Ogbomo as Philippus
Ann Wolfe as Artemis
Eleanor Matsuura as Epione
Josette Simon as Mnemosyne
Jacqui-Lee Pryce as Niobe
Mayling Ng as Orana
Samantha Jo as Euboea
Florence Kasumba as Senator Acantha
http://dcwomenofcolor.tumblr.com/post/161329666039/some-named-amazons-in-wonder-woman-2017-ann

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"