Themiscrya & The Amazons discussion thread

I wouldn't mind seeing Megan Gale as an Amazon in a future WW movie. She was originally cast as WW for the abandoned George Miller Justice League movie a few years ago. Would be cool to have her fight Gal Gadot now or at least appear alongside her if she weren't a villain.

28A6988500000578-3084306-Scary_The_39_year_old_beauty_didn_t_realise_how_dangerous_the_sc-a-2_1431779589364.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing Megan Gale as an Amazon in a future WW movie. She was originally cast as WW for the abandoned George Miller Justice League movie a few years ago. Would be cool to have her fight Gal Gadot now or at least appear alongside her if she weren't a villain.

I felt a bit badly for Megan because she was all set to be WW and very excited. Here in Australia she appeared on shows talking about the role, then she quit modelling to get ready to start making JL: Mortal, and in her last runway they gave her a WW-inspired dress to wear, which was covered in stars...Anyway, she had a good role in Fury Road. She has a good look for a comic book movie, so I wouldn't mind seeing her in one. Someone once suggested Big Barda and I thought that idea was pretty cool.

Here is a video I found where someone (very roughly) flips through the WW Art and Making of the Movie book:

[YT]qflEruO2Xgs[/YT]

Big Barda would be a good role for her. She is taller than Gal too (although by just one inch). Elizabeth Debicki could've possibly played Barda since she's 6'3", but she's quite willowy, although she could potentially bulk up like Gal did. However, Gale looks more like Big Barda than Debicki.

5 Wonder Woman Amazons On The Power Of Their All-Woman Army

And how director Patty Jenkins is �a real-life Queen Hippolyta.�

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ns-all-woman-army_us_5936cc94e4b0cfcda917f13e

For many viewers, the recently released box-office hit �Wonder Woman� could have ― and should have ― been set entirely on the women-only Amazon warrior paradise of Themyscira.

In fact, I would have contentedly traded Chris Pine�s Steve Trevor for more time with Artemis, Antiope or Hippolyta at any given point in the film's 141 minutes. It felt profoundly satisfying to watch women of all colors, sizes, shapes and ages wield so much physical power on a humongous screen, and as the story went from Themyscira to World War I-era Western Europe, I found myself missing the women warriors and wanting to know more about them.

Turns out, the real women beneath the armor are just as fierce as their characters.

Ann Wolfe, Artemis

593ff1b91d00002900cc2ac9.jpeg

Ann Wolfe is considered by many to be the best female boxer in history, known in particular for her strong and unforgiving punches ― in fact, her 2007 knockout of Vonda Ward has more than a million views on YouTube.

Wolfe told HuffPost a bit about how, after her storied boxing career, she came to be in the blockbuster hit.

�Wonder Woman� director Patty Jenkins had approached her for the role because of her knowledge of Wolfe�s background in boxing. Jenkins' husband, Sam Sheridan, a former professional fighter himself, had long been following her career. As other women were auditioning for the role of Artemis, Jenkins kept going back to Wolfe. She eventually got the part, and was flown out to London to meet everyone before starting filming in Italy.

"I had never been on a set," she told HuffPost. "Patty got out of the director's chat and said, "Sit down" And then Gal [Gadot] came over and looked at me and said, "Yep, that's Artemis."

The rest, according to Wolfe, was magic. She told HuffPost that working with so many other athletic women was a gift, especially after spending so much of her boxing career being trained by and working with men.

"It felt like we were truly Amazons," she said. "I have never been around that many strong women at one time. It was like a puzzle, and we all fit in it together. It felt like we were real, true Amazons."

Madeleine Vall Beijner, Egeria

$

Like Wolfe, Madeleine Vall Beijner came to �Wonder Woman� from the world of professional fighting. For over 10 years, she was a world-ranked Thai boxer. After an injury took her away from her plans to transfer into MMA, she instead took her skills to stunt roles and film. The intense physical demands that she and the other Amazons went through on set were pretty standard for her skill level.

"I'm used to training two to three times a day," Beijner told HuffPost. "The difference was in the techniques and choreography, but since I'm used to constantly learning new moves, pro-fighting translated itself pretty easily into stunt acting. I feel like I have a great base to build on from all my years taking punches and knocking people out."

What was new for the Swedish fighter, though, was getting to do so much heavy lifting with other women.

"It wasn't actually until �Wonder Woman� I got to be in a girl-power world. Being a female Thai and kickboxer, I�ve been in a man�s world for the last decade, so being around this many women was completely new to me,� she said.

"I was a little nervous at first," she added, "but as soon as I arrived I just felt this ... surge of power and unity."

Both Beijner and Wolfe talked about that bond on set, and the environment that Jenkins created to nurture it.

"I give a lot of credit to Patty Jenkins for creating this vibe, it truly went top-down," Beijner said. "This movie is about a lot of things, but female power, wisdom and badassery is what�s at the core. And Patty managed to get that out of each and every one of us, as well as a team, or troops. Us Amazons challenged each other while training, only to push each other further and to become stronger. Beyond that, we used our fighting spirit to support each other. There were days we were so tired we could sleep standing up, but we went at it, again and again and again.�

Doutzen Kroes, Venelia

593ff1d82200002d00c6dc4f.jpeg

Doutzen Kroes may best be known as a Victoria's Secret Angel and supermodel, but she's also trained in horseback riding ― and showed off these skills in her role as Amazon warrior Venelia.

Kroes told HuffPost that having an equestrian background made the training a bit more natural, but it was still outrageously intense.

"I've loved riding horses my entire life," she said. "But riding at full gallop with a weapon was challenging, but empowering and so much fun."

She too was quick to credit Jenkins for steering the ship and allowing women to be their baddest warrior selves.

"She is like a real-life Queen Hippolyta ― Patty set a mood that was welcoming, warm and supportive," Kroes said.

She was also grateful for that tough-yet-maternal culture among the other Amazons. "Many of the other Amazons are also mothers, so we were all able to have our families with us during filming," she said. "It was just a very special moment to be in this gorgeous Italian paradise, shooting this historic film and iconic story and then having the opportunity to share it with so many cool women and their children ... The experience of working on Wonder Woman was something I�ve never had before."

Brooke Ence, Penthesilea

593ff19f1600002100115e10.jpeg

Like some of the other Amazons, Brooke Ence caught the attention of the director as a professional athlete ― she's a competitive CrossFit athlete, and was scouted by film producers just before the 2015 games.

�I got a call from Warner Bros. asking me if I would come in and read,� she told HuffPost. �I had no idea what it was for.�

Ence told HuffPost that she initially felt conflicted about accepting the role because the filming would clash with her training schedule for the 2016 CrossFit Games.

�I was really hesitant to [accept the role] � But it just seemed like a really great opportunity that people audition for all the time and never get,� she said. �And it literally just fell in my lap. I just couldn�t say no.�

Because Ence was training for the CrossFit Games during filming, she felt right at home among the other athletes. In fact, she was the last Amazon that they flew out to train ― most of her training was pretty much already done, and she was already in Amazon shape. But that didn�t mean she didn�t have more to learn.

�Everyone that was an Amazon [had] so much mental strength,� she said. �Everyone just walked with more power. They walked with this Amazonian vibe.�

�It was a great realization of all the different types of strength. Strength for me is physical and super, super mental,� she continued. �And there, not only did I get to see and feel strength in a physical sense, but a lot of it was in attitude, and determination ... It was very empowering to be around so many different types of women with the common goal. Everyone came together as this army.�

Samantha Jo, Euboea

593ff1ec1600002200115e12.jpeg

Many have already seen Samantha Jo on film before without even knowing it. She�s worked as a body double for major Hollywood blockbusters like �The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn ― Part 2,� and �300: Rise of an Empire.�

Jo also told HuffPost how much she loved being on set with so many ripped women who were there to play the role of warriors, especially in contrast to her experience in �300,� when she was the only woman on set with dozens of men.

�It was really interesting to contrast the experience of working with 40 men, where I was the only woman,� she said.

�Females just have a different kind of energy. There was this bonding that happened. I think it was probably through the suffering [from training],� she added.

She told HuffPost how, on the first week of shooting, part of the training for the women playing Amazons was to stack weights on top of a sled and push it back and forth.

�It was my first week, and my muscles weren�t quite developed, and I wasn�t as strong as everyone else yet,� she said.

At one point, after about 20 seconds, she began to feel dizzy and felt herself fading.

�All of the women in the gym ran up behind me and started yelling and cheering for me. I don�t think I would have made it had they not given me that extra push. I almost started crying [at] the love that I felt,� she said. �And that was only day three.�

What�s abundantly clear, from Jo and the rest of the Amazons, is that �Wonder Woman� being led by Jenkins was what made the experience ― and the film itself ― so damn special.

�The whole vibe of the set really starts from the top down,� she said. �It was interesting to get a female perspective.� Jo said that the story itself was that much better because it was told and directed by a woman.

�Yeah, there�s a lot of action and cool moments. But at the heart of it, it�s about love and compassion and unity,� she said. �It translated so well coming from a woman�s voice. We all knew that we were going to be a part of something really special.�

The involvement of Zeus so heavily in the amazon's story struck me. Wasn't it the Perez version were the Amazons were the souls of abused women given the island by Artemis, Athena and Aphrodite? Women protecting women. The involvement of Zeus in this (and I believe the Nu 52) is unsettling. Its ultimate patriarchy, in fact Zeus is Diana's patriarch. It got to me a bit.

The involvement of Zeus so heavily in the amazon's story struck me. Wasn't it the Perez version were the Amazons were the souls of abused women given the island by Artemis, Athena and Aphrodite? Women protecting women. The involvement of Zeus in this (and I believe the Nu 52) is unsettling. Its ultimate patriarchy, in fact Zeus is Diana's patriarch. It got to me a bit.

I understand that. I read that complaint on another forum- that WW's origin was made more Judeo-Christian.

In the original Marston comics it was the goddess Aphrodite who created the Amazons. It was in response to Mars' (Ares) men, who were warmongering and enslaved women. Mars's men ruled with the sword, Aphrodite's Amazons conquered with love and were stronger than men. And it was Aphrodite who gave life to clay Diana.

We didn't see the goddesses involved (not yet, anyway) and we didn't get the abused women's souls being part of the Amazons.

Last edited:
I really hope we see more of Themyscira throughout the life of the DCEU.

I really hope we see more of Themyscira throughout the life of the DCEU.

I sure hope so.

Another thing is that in Greek mythology Zeus is still the patriarchal figure. There are gods and goddesses but he is still the king of the gods, the all-father. Father of many of the main gods, goddesses, and demi-gods.

But I was expecting more involvement of the goddesses.

I don't see how they could have entirely avoided Zeus and just concentrated on Aphrodite and Ares.

I don't see how they could have entirely avoided Zeus and just concentrated on Aphrodite and Ares.

It would've been nice to see the goddesses, though. But the movie didn't give away much of anything anyway, regarding the gods and the Amazons. Except what we saw in those paintings.

And Hippolyta, when she is telling the origin story in the movie to Diana says, "The gods created us, the Amazons..." Gods plural, so there is room in later movies for the goddesses and other gods to be involved besides Zeus.

They kept the gods story quite threadbare and streamlined here, like they knew they could tell it more fully in the future. I hope so, anyway.

Here is an excerpt from the WW novelisation:

Long ago, when time was new, and all of history was still a dream, the Gods ruled the Earth, Zeus king among them. He reigned supreme, the giver of life. The father of all.

Zeus created beings over which the Gods would rule. Beings born in his image- fair and good, strong and passionate. He called his creation 'man.'

And mankind was good.

But one of the Gods grew envious of Zeus's love for mankind and sought to corrupt his creation.

This was Ares, the God of War. Ares poisoned men's hearts with suspicion, vengeance, and rage. He turned them against one another.

And war ravaged the earth.

So the Gods created us, the Amazons, to influence man's heart with love and restore peace to the earth.

For a brief time, there was peace, even a unity among us all in the world.

But it did not last.

Yeah that was one thing I disliked about the movie and hope is remedied in a future sequel. The Triple A's should be discovered to be the ones who gave life to the Amazons. Ultimately Zeus gets final word but the idea and execution should be from those 3.

There was also the goddesses Hestia and Demeter in the Perez story.

It was cool to see the goddesses bringing the Amazons to life and leading them to Themyscira in that story:

RCO011.jpg

RCO012.jpg

RCO024.jpg

RCO025.jpg

In the Wonder Woman movie origin story, it was good at least to see a couple of goddesses atop Olympus with the other gods:

tumblr_oroozrXaRQ1rs2uhvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oroozrXaRQ1rs2uhvo2_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Like I've said elsewhere, I suspect the "its all Zeus" backstory was part of the setting bible written before Jenkins came on board. Now that she has a bona fide hit, she should get the freedom to adjust things more in the future.

It's all vague enough that it can narrative wise contain any number of new revelations in a sequel and still not contradict what this film presented.

So were these paintings actually in the movie? I thought they looked a bit different to these. I don't remember this scene specifically. The paintings looked more like Renaissance paintings which were animated.

Yes they were. I remember this scene. But they were animated, more frames. The characters such as Zeus, Ares, Hippolyta, the crowds, moved a little, though minimally. But it was these designs, this art.

Here's what the artist Houston Sharp said:

For Wonder Woman, I was responsible for creating this painting that Diana's mother shows her in the beginning of the movie. It was a massive challenge, considering that the painting needed to be animated once it was all done, but Patty Jenkins was really great to work with, and I enjoyed creating it. I had a small team of super talented artists helping me get this painting done on time, and I will be posting closeups of our hard work over the next few days, so stay tuned!

Art Direction: Raffy Ochoa, Houston Sharp
Mt. Olympus design/panel stitching: Houston Sharp
Pre-stitched Panels: All artists (Houston Sharp, Igor Sid, Piotr Jablonski, Yuriy Chemezov, Roman Kupriyanov, Eve Ventrue, Max Schulz, Didier Konings)

https://www.facebook.com/houston.sharp

Really would like to see more of the Amazons, especially Philippus. I loved seeing all the variety of Amazon outfits on the island.

Some ideas on a Themyscira Amazon film-
The amazons -how do they relax. Its not all non stop training for war surely? They must horse ride for fun( as well as sport as shown in WW84). Do they hike in to the islands hills? Have picnics? Big water falls must be common do they chill out there? Plenty of scope for Patty and her creative team.
Island animal life- Kangas (large kangaroos) should be shown. Herds of them grazing on themysciras grassy plains. This is not so far fetched. Giant roos were common during the Mega Fauna period in earths history several million years ago. Though the jury is still out whether they actually hopped.Some say they would have broken every bone in their legs had they tried given the massive size of the animal.
Maybe young Diana can escape her tutor by hiding in the pouch of one of them.
The animtronics teams would relish making one of these giant critters. CGI for the rest.
Horse of course should be seen. The Scandinavian Fjord horse would look good as its related to the asian plains horses which the Scythian tribes people rode who as we all know gave rise to the legends of Amazons thanks to the Greeks.
Another critter to consider might be the giant rat from africa which in our world sniffs out land mines. Maybe there is a themyscira relative. Though how many of the actresses would be brave enough to film a scene with one? Gal Gadot maybe would shes tough. Though rest assured the islands giant critters do not run to spiders or scorpians. Zeus made it nice.
How does the economy work? Is it barter of do they have a currency?
IO the mistress of the forge is shown in many DC comics . She makes many of the weapons the amozans use. How does her forge work ? No doubt it does not burn wood or charcoal.
Well that wraps that up. Hopefully spread some good ideas about.

5 Wonder Woman Amazons On The Power Of Their All-Woman Army

And how director Patty Jenkins is �a real-life Queen Hippolyta.�

5 'Wonder Woman' Amazons On The Power Of Their All-Woman Army | HuffPost

For many viewers, the recently released box-office hit �Wonder Woman� could have ― and should have ― been set entirely on the women-only Amazon warrior paradise of Themyscira.

In fact, I would have contentedly traded Chris Pine�s Steve Trevor for more time with Artemis, Antiope or Hippolyta at any given point in the film's 141 minutes. It felt profoundly satisfying to watch women of all colors, sizes, shapes and ages wield so much physical power on a humongous screen, and as the story went from Themyscira to World War I-era Western Europe, I found myself missing the women warriors and wanting to know more about them.

Turns out, the real women beneath the armor are just as fierce as their characters.

Ann Wolfe, Artemis

593ff1b91d00002900cc2ac9.jpeg

Ann Wolfe is considered by many to be the best female boxer in history, known in particular for her strong and unforgiving punches ― in fact, her 2007 knockout of Vonda Ward has more than a million views on YouTube.

Wolfe told HuffPost a bit about how, after her storied boxing career, she came to be in the blockbuster hit.

�Wonder Woman� director Patty Jenkins had approached her for the role because of her knowledge of Wolfe�s background in boxing. Jenkins' husband, Sam Sheridan, a former professional fighter himself, had long been following her career. As other women were auditioning for the role of Artemis, Jenkins kept going back to Wolfe. She eventually got the part, and was flown out to London to meet everyone before starting filming in Italy.

"I had never been on a set," she told HuffPost. "Patty got out of the director's chat and said, "Sit down" And then Gal [Gadot] came over and looked at me and said, "Yep, that's Artemis."

The rest, according to Wolfe, was magic. She told HuffPost that working with so many other athletic women was a gift, especially after spending so much of her boxing career being trained by and working with men.

"It felt like we were truly Amazons," she said. "I have never been around that many strong women at one time. It was like a puzzle, and we all fit in it together. It felt like we were real, true Amazons."

Madeleine Vall Beijner, Egeria

$

Like Wolfe, Madeleine Vall Beijner came to �Wonder Woman� from the world of professional fighting. For over 10 years, she was a world-ranked Thai boxer. After an injury took her away from her plans to transfer into MMA, she instead took her skills to stunt roles and film. The intense physical demands that she and the other Amazons went through on set were pretty standard for her skill level.

"I'm used to training two to three times a day," Beijner told HuffPost. "The difference was in the techniques and choreography, but since I'm used to constantly learning new moves, pro-fighting translated itself pretty easily into stunt acting. I feel like I have a great base to build on from all my years taking punches and knocking people out."

What was new for the Swedish fighter, though, was getting to do so much heavy lifting with other women.

"It wasn't actually until �Wonder Woman� I got to be in a girl-power world. Being a female Thai and kickboxer, I�ve been in a man�s world for the last decade, so being around this many women was completely new to me,� she said.

"I was a little nervous at first," she added, "but as soon as I arrived I just felt this ... surge of power and unity."

Both Beijner and Wolfe talked about that bond on set, and the environment that Jenkins created to nurture it.

"I give a lot of credit to Patty Jenkins for creating this vibe, it truly went top-down," Beijner said. "This movie is about a lot of things, but female power, wisdom and badassery is what�s at the core. And Patty managed to get that out of each and every one of us, as well as a team, or troops. Us Amazons challenged each other while training, only to push each other further and to become stronger. Beyond that, we used our fighting spirit to support each other. There were days we were so tired we could sleep standing up, but we went at it, again and again and again.�

Doutzen Kroes, Venelia

593ff1d82200002d00c6dc4f.jpeg

Doutzen Kroes may best be known as a Victoria's Secret Angel and supermodel, but she's also trained in horseback riding ― and showed off these skills in her role as Amazon warrior Venelia.

Kroes told HuffPost that having an equestrian background made the training a bit more natural, but it was still outrageously intense.

"I've loved riding horses my entire life," she said. "But riding at full gallop with a weapon was challenging, but empowering and so much fun."

She too was quick to credit Jenkins for steering the ship and allowing women to be their baddest warrior selves.

"She is like a real-life Queen Hippolyta ― Patty set a mood that was welcoming, warm and supportive," Kroes said.

She was also grateful for that tough-yet-maternal culture among the other Amazons. "Many of the other Amazons are also mothers, so we were all able to have our families with us during filming," she said. "It was just a very special moment to be in this gorgeous Italian paradise, shooting this historic film and iconic story and then having the opportunity to share it with so many cool women and their children ... The experience of working on Wonder Woman was something I�ve never had before."

Brooke Ence, Penthesilea

593ff19f1600002100115e10.jpeg

Like some of the other Amazons, Brooke Ence caught the attention of the director as a professional athlete ― she's a competitive CrossFit athlete, and was scouted by film producers just before the 2015 games.

�I got a call from Warner Bros. asking me if I would come in and read,� she told HuffPost. �I had no idea what it was for.�

Ence told HuffPost that she initially felt conflicted about accepting the role because the filming would clash with her training schedule for the 2016 CrossFit Games.

�I was really hesitant to [accept the role] � But it just seemed like a really great opportunity that people audition for all the time and never get,� she said. �And it literally just fell in my lap. I just couldn�t say no.�

Because Ence was training for the CrossFit Games during filming, she felt right at home among the other athletes. In fact, she was the last Amazon that they flew out to train ― most of her training was pretty much already done, and she was already in Amazon shape. But that didn�t mean she didn�t have more to learn.

�Everyone that was an Amazon [had] so much mental strength,� she said. �Everyone just walked with more power. They walked with this Amazonian vibe.�

�It was a great realization of all the different types of strength. Strength for me is physical and super, super mental,� she continued. �And there, not only did I get to see and feel strength in a physical sense, but a lot of it was in attitude, and determination ... It was very empowering to be around so many different types of women with the common goal. Everyone came together as this army.�

Samantha Jo, Euboea

593ff1ec1600002200115e12.jpeg

Many have already seen Samantha Jo on film before without even knowing it. She�s worked as a body double for major Hollywood blockbusters like �The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn ― Part 2,� and �300: Rise of an Empire.�

Jo also told HuffPost how much she loved being on set with so many ripped women who were there to play the role of warriors, especially in contrast to her experience in �300,� when she was the only woman on set with dozens of men.

�It was really interesting to contrast the experience of working with 40 men, where I was the only woman,� she said.

�Females just have a different kind of energy. There was this bonding that happened. I think it was probably through the suffering [from training],� she added.

She told HuffPost how, on the first week of shooting, part of the training for the women playing Amazons was to stack weights on top of a sled and push it back and forth.

�It was my first week, and my muscles weren�t quite developed, and I wasn�t as strong as everyone else yet,� she said.

At one point, after about 20 seconds, she began to feel dizzy and felt herself fading.

�All of the women in the gym ran up behind me and started yelling and cheering for me. I don�t think I would have made it had they not given me that extra push. I almost started crying [at] the love that I felt,� she said. �And that was only day three.�

What�s abundantly clear, from Jo and the rest of the Amazons, is that �Wonder Woman� being led by Jenkins was what made the experience ― and the film itself ― so damn special.

�The whole vibe of the set really starts from the top down,� she said. �It was interesting to get a female perspective.� Jo said that the story itself was that much better because it was told and directed by a woman.

�Yeah, there�s a lot of action and cool moments. But at the heart of it, it�s about love and compassion and unity,� she said. �It translated so well coming from a woman�s voice. We all knew that we were going to be a part of something really special.�
She had like 1 line. But she was with Hippolyta whenever they would be walking.

That was a let down not having majority of the Amazons be of any real importance, especially the bigger named ones.

They named a lot of them
tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo3_400.png
tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo2_400.png

tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo7_r1_400.png
tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo1_r1_400.png

tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo8_r1_400.png
tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo9_r2_400.png

tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo5_r1_400.png
tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo6_r1_400.png

Ann Ogbomo as Philippus
Ann Wolfe as Artemis
Eleanor Matsuura as Epione
Josette Simon as Mnemosyne
Jacqui-Lee Pryce as Niobe
Mayling Ng as Orana
Samantha Jo as Euboea
Florence Kasumba as Senator Acantha

If there is a Themyscira film I have been thinking of the actresses who could star in it-
Yvonne Strahovski
Madeline Brewer
Alexis Bledal
Samira Wiley
Amanda Brugel
These are the 'escape to paradise island' group. Well, it will make a change from the cold grey world of Gilead. And to go from powerless to powerful would be beyond cool. Perhaps more like Cryogenic.
Others are Lady Ga Ga who has not only horse riding experience but a good actress in her own right.
Abigail Ratchford-Could be the Themyscira 'glamourzon'. Insists on wearing make up to training until Antiope tells her to wipe it off.
And Gi Gi Gorgeous. She woman enough and worthy of the amazon mantle.

My favorite part of the movie hands down. I wish we had spent half the movie there getting to meet more of the Amazons, their culture, etc.

The whole training montage was perfect.

I hope at some point (WW2?) Diana returns.
I too loved the film and it got me thinking . Its a radical idea but I shall say it anyway.
Could we build a real 'Themyscira' As I said its radical.
Man is on borrowed time . His Y-Chromosome is mutating and he might not be around 100,000 years form now which given the galactic year is 260 million years long (how long Milky way rotates on axis) it will happen tomorrow on the timescales we are thinking of.
So if mans on the way out how do our 'Amazons ' reproduce? One method I have heard about is to take a nucleus from a womans egg and inject into another womans egg. 9 months later a baby girl is born and goes on to grow up into a woman. So far so good. We don't need man to have children. But where do our amanzons live? All the land mass is taken and some goverments who like their male dominated ways might not like the new all female neighbours.
How about the oceans? With OTEC powerplants ,which generate power using the temprature difference of the oceans to produce power ,we could build up a island from hexaganal modules and when we have enough land area add soil ,trees and buildings to taste. Placed in the tropical areas where OTECs work best our Themyscira could be a beautiful place to live.A real city state!
However if man decides to play with his nuclear toys we could go down with him. So while a good idea and worth a further look , for long term use its falls slightly short.
In the 1960s at Princeton Professor called Gerard O'Neill decide that the surface of a planet was not good enough place for a growing civilisation. Lack of room and materials. He came up with the High Frontier concept which described how the moon/asteroids could mined to build large earth like space stations which he called islands. The first one he came up with was the Bernal Sphere some 2 miles long and about that wide rotating to produce 1 gee at the central band of the habitat. With non stop solar energy to hand the colonists could produce a fine place to live while engaged in further projects such as more space based manufacturing as well as helping clear away space debris and now of course sunshades to stop earth over heating from mans obsession with fossil fuels.
At a pinch this is Themyscira. A independant city state with women living and working and having their daughters to carry on the next generation. It also has one advantage over planetary surface colonies. With low thrust propulsion they can be moved. If man decides to have a go as it were the city states of woman kind can move to the asteroid belt or any where else in the solar system
where there is solar energy and materials.
Perhaps thousands of years later there will be a cloud of such places surounding the sun and drinking in the sunlight while inside the climate is fine, the water falls beautiful and such pursuits as horse riding ,art , studies of the works of William Marston and no doubt many others.
But for this we need a cheap means of space access. So I say this -Watch the progress of Starship SN20 . If sucessful then what I have said above take a step closer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"