Themiscrya & The Amazons discussion thread

I wish we had a whole movie with the Amazons where we had characters far more developed, say like in LOTR.

I also wish there had been some time between when Diana discovered her boosh and rescuing Steve Trevor. That would've allowed for them to have other adventures in between if they ever wanted to do a prequel movie about Diana and her Amazon adventures.

If we had an animal version of the Amazons we could have Queen Hippo-Lyta and General Antelope.

Was it actually ever called Paradise Island by the Amazons in the movie? Or was that only Steve Trevor's colloquial way of referring to it? Maybe he had trouble saying "Themyscira" or couldn't quite remember the name, so he just described it as what he saw it as. In any event, I think Paradise Island is just the informal name for it, even if the Amazons used that.

I only remember Steve calling it "Paradise Island."

I only remember Steve calling it "Paradise Island."

I always thought "Paradise Island" sounded like a level from Sonic the Hedgehog so I'm glad it was only used by Steve as a nod rather than that be what everyone called Themyscira.

Yeah, Steve is the only one who uses that term. He's being slightly ironic, so I think it is just a way to show that he is still a little incredulous about the whole experience.

It still doesn't feel entirely real to him.

Did they name any of the Amazons? I don't remember Menalippe or Venelia who was portrayed by Doutzen Kroes.

I see a Phillipus is credited on IMDb but I don't remember her at all.

tumblr_opozofi7jf1smb66mo3_400.png

Ann Ogbomo as Philippus

From what I recall, Menalippe, Venelia and Philippus speak after the battle on the beach when they confront Steve:

Menalippe
asks why Steve is wearing German colours/the same uniform as the men they just killed.

Venelia suggests they kill him.

Philippus says they should not kill him because then they wouldn't get any information about the invading soldiers.

So they put the lasso around him in the Throne Room scene. Menalippe is the one holding the lasso around Steve.

I hope the mother/daughter reunion happens and we get a good amount of Themiscyra in JL which will be the focal point of WW's arc in that movie. I want the sequel freed up of mythology/Amazons/The Past so Wonder Woman can finally be sold as a modern superhero.

On another note, what was up with the Amazons being credited names offscreen? Why even bother? And who was the black lady in the blue dress chasing down Young Diana? Phillipus?

In the WW novelisation that section of the story starts with Diana running away from class and the woman chasing her is her tutor, Mnemosyne. On IMDb the actress Josette Simon is credited as playing her.

Young Diana is learning about the Peloponnesian War in class but thinks she doesn't need to learn about human beings because she will never meet them. So she'd rather watch the Amazons train.

I have the feeling that the Themiscrya portion of filming were limited by budget and to a lesser extent location. That war between Gods segment could have been done with real actors and locations, but I suspected that budget and time factors did not allow for this. It would have made the Themiscrya portion the best fantasy Super hero origin opening out of Superman (1978), MOS, and Thor.

I have the feeling that the Themiscrya portion of filming were limited by budget and to a lesser extent location. That war between Gods segment could have been done with real actors and locations, but I suspected that budget and time factors did not allow for this. It would have made the Themiscrya portion the best fantasy Super hero origin opening out of Superman (1978), MOS, and Thor.

Oh man, I hope they do it one day. That would be awesome to see.

We'll be getting a taste of epic fantasy with the Amazons in JL. They could always do more in the future with them and with the gods.

I still loved the way they showed it. Almost like an Art Greco painting coming to life. DC movies have a very mythic style to their movies and that was a good representation of that.

Patty Jenkins on how she cast the Amazons

[YT]RdA4tlhbdRk[/YT]

I'd like her to look at some Olympians next time too. Maybe some Olympic swimmers, runners, tennis players, volleyball players etc. The swimmers have a great physique and there's also one Russian volleyball player who is 6'8".

I still loved the way they showed it. Almost like an Art Greco painting coming to life. DC movies have a very mythic style to their movies and that was a good representation of that.

It was very nice to see in 3D.

Patty Jenkins on how she cast the Amazons

I'd like her to look at some Olympians next time too. Maybe some Olympic swimmers, runners, tennis players, volleyball players etc. The swimmers have a great physique and there's also one Russian volleyball player who is 6'8".

There is certainly potential to cast amazing people in the future, whether Amazons, villains etc.

I think I will add my voice in wishing there was more about the Amazon society in this. The film delivered on two things that were important to me but dropped the ball on this last one.

I think I will add my voice in wishing there was more about the Amazon society in this. The film delivered on two things that were important to me but dropped the ball on this last one.

I would've been happy with a scene with Diana and some other Amazons not in warrior mode, but talking to each other about their lives, even something trivial, so we get a sense of them and the island, in a more calm/still moment.

I would've been happy with a scene with Diana and some other Amazons not in warrior mode, but talking to each other about their lives, even something trivial, so we get a sense of them and the island, in a more calm/still moment.

Yeah. Something to give an idea of what life in a world based on physical, intellectual and philosophical excellence is all about.

Now that they've teased Amazonian dancing, I think that is a must at some point.

Yeah. Something to give an idea of what life in a world based on physical, intellectual and philosophical excellence is all about.

Would love to see more of that side of things.

tumblr_ly0cfiN5XZ1qkchcvo1_1280.jpg

Also, look: WW reading (I just realised what else was missing! KANGAS!)

tumblr_m3lae63IXP1qkchcvo1_500.jpg

Amazons relaxing:

tumblr_o75mupxYuL1qkchcvo1_1280.png

Diana, with deer:

tumblr_mixoiqVYUT1qkchcvo1_1280.png

Now that they've teased Amazonian dancing, I think that is a must at some point.

Or... Pop in your blu ray copy of SHOWGIRLS. :sly:

Isn't that a movie about a stripper? :loco:

Amazon debauchery? :oldrazz:

tumblr_nxj9l8aEkH1qkchcvo1_1280.jpg

Same. I understand the pressures a film like this is under but my gut tells me that the immediate sequel will not go into this element of the WW mythology. Likely the first film was the most ideal place to put that kind of material. With luck they will have something to bring this aspect out in a future appearance of Wonder Woman.

Same. I understand the pressures a film like this is under but my gut tells me that the immediate sequel will not go into this element of the WW mythology. Likely the first film was the most ideal place to put that kind of material. With luck they will have something to bring this aspect out in a future appearance of Wonder Woman.

Prequel reboot :oldrazz:

tumblr_ly0cfiN5XZ1qkchcvo1_1280.jpg

Also, look: WW reading (I just realised what else was missing! KANGAS!)

tumblr_m3lae63IXP1qkchcvo1_500.jpg

Amazons relaxing:

tumblr_o75mupxYuL1qkchcvo1_1280.png

Diana, with deer:

tumblr_mixoiqVYUT1qkchcvo1_1280.png

Amazon debauchery? :oldrazz:

tumblr_nxj9l8aEkH1qkchcvo1_1280.jpg

Yes to all of these scenes. It would've been really great to see this with the Amazons in down time just relaxing, and in classic Greek white dresses and not in warrior garb or warrior mode.

Although they are warriors, I would hope they would also have other pursuits like art, music, philosophy, academia, or even other sports similar to the Olympics (which come from the Greeks in the first place).

I also would've loved to have seen the contest. That could've shown us more of Diana in action using or discovering her powers.

It all seemed a bit rushed from when Diana first used the bracelets to when she saw Steve Trevor crash. I think there should have been a bit of a passage of time between there. Maybe something like the scene in Superman the movie where Clark first kicks that football and realises he has special abilities and then races the train, or like Peter learning how to web swing or climb walls like in Raimi's Spider-Man.

When Diana saved Steve Trevor

she just dived straight off that really high cliff like Pocahontas without any fear for her safety. I would've liked that she discovered she could do this sort of thing before and also realise she has super strength. It was almost as if she just took her powers as a given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"